• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles Strategy

Firstaidguitar1

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I have a doubles tournament April 11th...teams are decided randomly at the beginning of the event.

I'm not too familiar with doubles; from what I hear, it's a completely different gameplay than singles. By the way, Team Attack is ON in this tournament.

Any tips or strategies I can tell my partner when we get matched up?

Thanks again.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Trust in your partner to get things done, you handle your immediate foe, help them when they are like in an infinite or a chain grab only.
If you think you're experienced enough, you can help them recover.
Always be open to share stock, no matter how confident you are alone, 2 people are better than 1.
If your opponent can't handle it, then it's pretty much curtains, don't bother coming to their rescue that much, you risk getting blind-sided by your immediate foe trying to fight your teammate's.
Overall, have trust, and fight hard.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
How very basic... :p First of all, who are you using, and who is your partner using?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
In that case, if your partner has a good throw, and they can send your enemy into your kill move, look for that. In fact, look at each character's tricks before you go. Some are useful for whoever they team up with.

TubaMarth

Smash Rookie
hello guys for doubles its best that once you are a character you have to pick someone slightly balanced and if you can find out what character they are at the start up screen(same console) pick some on to aid the other persons weakness

for example

Ganondorf + Meta Knight

Ganon would go for the kill while meta knight would rack up some damage

so think about these types of things. even once the battle started try to fight your main 1 opponent and when in trouble aid your partner. if you are really good then try to use one jump attack to stop them from returning and during that time is when you help your partner

HELP ONLY WHEN IN TROUBLE OR WHEN THE OTHER PERSON IS OFF IN THE AIR DYING!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Again, who are you planning on using? Your character isn't chosen randomly, right? It's normally best to practice with your partner, but in this case, you can't.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
Didn't that doubles tourney happen like 6 days ago, or I must be the next master of time and space. Eitherway, it's good for you to know for future reference.

In team battles, just avoid getting hit (unless it's intentional) and avoid hitting your partner. And hope that you're partner is competent enough to tell friend from foe.

Last doubles I attended my partner spiked me and edhogged me out of a habit of doing so in our 1 on 1 battles.

Also, threaten to strangle him with the gc controller if he screws up for the added motivation (works wonders :laugh:)

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Oh yeah theres a special word that helps players be better players...

Whats it called again....

Oh yeah!

TEAM WORK AND COMMUNICATION!

Bellioes

Smash Lord
True. Ive heard many people say not to talk during doubles cause then your opponent knows your plan but I find it more of an advantage. Your opponent just has to listen and obey but your opponent has to realize what your doing, then think of a counter, and then incorporate it all while in battle. And if you suddenly change plans, they did all that for nothing. MIndgames son, mindgames ;)

Sonicdahedgie

Smash Apprentice
I can tell you that you'll best half of your opponents in a doubles tournament if you and your partner know how to stay the hell away from each others' attacks.

Also, don't go out of your way to make yourself mesh with your partner. If he's an Ike player, don't go Sonic just because you need someone to deal damage. Stick with your best characters, and you'll do better for it.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
for starters id recommend watching the MLG video on Melee doubles to get an idea of what a true team is

since your new to teams ill try and keep this simple for you and just go over some basic stuff , in 2v2s the team who controls the stage best will win, each teammate should go into the match knowing what aspects of the match he must take care of, things like who takes the air, ground, racks damage and k.os are all things that you need to figure out before you even get the match started...as for actual gameplay, you really just need to familiarize yourself with your teammates attacks so you know when you can follow up his moves or save his recovery, with time you will be able to create strategy's of your own, just keep practicing man and you'll do fine:)

Firstaidguitar1

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the tournament is already over...I ended up getting third, which is great. My partner mained Link. He kind of got frustrating at some points....I was clearly the better player. Sometimes he accidentally SD'd (Jungle Japes, anyone?) and I had to fight the other two on my own. Oh, and this was classic - it was me against a Pit who knew his stuff...I had two lives, 150%, he had one life, 90%. He killed me, and literally right before I flew off the stage, my teammate "accidentally" life stole. Long story short, he ended up losing to the pit in a disgraceful battle and we were sent to the losers bracket one game before the championship. It was frustrating, but I dealt with it.

Firstaidguitar1

Smash Cadet
I main both Lucas and Game and Watch. He mained Link the entire way. That match with Pit I was Game and Watch, just because it was a great counter against the Pit.

Haha, it's no big deal. I always have a blast playing Brawl, win or lose.

Top Bottom