• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
If you want to win pubs you just need a tryhard 5stack like merlini and warden do, since so many ppl random and/or screw around.
If you have a new account, the matchmaking takes your kda and gpm/xpm into consideration for your first 10-20 games i think, so when you go 30-0 for your first few games youll get pushed into high and very high level quickly.

There was so much drama with dotabuff, I dont know whos at fault since we dont know both sides of the story but I believe in valve. Its annoying not to be able to see my match history from the last few days though, I hope they get their web API up soon.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
He seems really friggin fun, man. I only got to play rubick vs one, but I chose to steal his moves every time.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I love how if you steal Walrus punch, it shows sucker punch and stolen punch instead. It's the little things that matter

D

Deleted member

Ok so I'm playing more and more dota (over lol), having a ton of fun (whoo meepo). obv I am still teribble, and while I know what the differences between LoL and Dota are, I don't really know how they should translate to me acting different in this game. Is there some kind of guide that would help with this?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I'm playing more and more dota (over lol), having a ton of fun (whoo meepo). obv I am still teribble, and while I know what the differences between LoL and Dota are, I don't really know how they should translate to me acting different in this game. Is there some kind of guide that would help with this?
I think that is something that comes with time. When to farm, when to push, who should start a team-fight and how, when to gank and etc. All these things can only come with experience. Just keep playing and having fun that it will come to you naturally. What is your favorite role when playing Dota?

D

Deleted member

So far I don't really know as I have almost only used carries so far (antimage, drow, meepo, sniper). In league I love being a cc tank (nautilus), dunno if there is an equivalent to that in dota?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
There's not an equivalent, but a few heroes might have a resemblance:

• Timbersaw is a great ganker and he does extremely well in team-fights;
  • Tidehunter is a support/initiator who can obliterate the enemy team with his ultimate (well, I'm exaggerating). His first spell also allows him to gank and help in team-fights.
  • Tiny with proper items will become a tank, he has disables and he can destory towers if you build Aghanim's to him. Heroes have a chance to get stunned when attacking him due to his passive, but he is somewhat squishy until he gets some armor past the mid-game phase.
  • Centaur takes the gold, has 2 disables, he can last a lot in fights thanks to his natural STR gain after every level and if people try to hit you, they take some damage back because of his passive. He is literally a stomping monster (try him).
These heroes that I mentioned can survive a long time in team-fights while causing some chaos. They also have good disables (Timbersaw is an exception, he only has a slow but he is fun to play with overall if you learn him), but as I said before, the best way for you to find what you like to play with is with time. Just play more. What matters is that you are enjoying.

When I first started playing Dota, I started playing Spiritbreaker. He is a really nice initiator who can become a semi-carry. He is fun to play with, packs a punch thanks to his passives and his ultimate can literally single out supports to kill them. It doesn't take too long either to learn how to play him, just a few matches and you are good to go. I suggest you try him out if you like playing "beefy" heroes who have disables and can transition to mid/late-game rather well, specially in the normal brackets in the matchmaking. :)

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
meatismurder wrote a real good post a while back in this thread. if youre just starting, there tons of resources now. merlini's stream on joindota would be good, he seems really nice and explains his actions and gives advice. ive been playing since version 6.XX of dota1 and the learning curve was much harder than now, with relative lack of resources, easy mode, and the dota community being full of @ssholes... though i miss those days of constant trolling. now is the time of ph4gg0t TI3 wannabe tryhards.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Miharu-hyung teach me to DotA. Apparently my **** laptop can run the game so yeah I'll be trying it out sometime this weekend.
ya just add me on steam

meatismurder wrote a real good post a while back in this thread. if youre just starting, there tons of resources now. merlini's stream on joindota would be good, he seems really nice and explains his actions and gives advice. ive been playing since version 6.XX of dota1 and the learning curve was much harder than now, with relative lack of resources, easy mode, and the dota community being full of @ssholes... though i miss those days of constant trolling. now is the time of ph4gg0t TI3 wannabe tryhards.
community's still just as awful

they just learned to pick heros like nyx kotl naix bat etc

MMing system doesn't help much either

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
So, I just got into DOTA, so I was wondering if anybody here would be willing to learn alongside me. I usually play support as either Crystal Maiden or Venomancer. (Although, my CM game is a lot stronger than my VM.).

Add me on steam: RespawningJesus

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
sorry bro those are among my most played heroes. anyways the world needs more willing support players

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Lol, I know, right? No one ever picks the support, but I find it to be the most fun, in my opinion.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't know what it is lately but all the game's I've been in hve been support heavy and I've had to go carry. :(

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
thanks man. I'm glad the post got some recognition, and I'm very willing to post more if people have any specific questions. NADota forums leave me so unhappy. The NA community is awful and there are few players who aren't stagnating in their dota skills as a result of their own shortcomings as people in general. Can't be a good gamer unless you're a good human, relatively

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have the game. I played the tutorial level, but the game crashed as soon as I turned into a dragon so I gave up.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Don't give up!Trust your instincts.

Unless they tell you to stop. Then tell em to shaddap and play DotA

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Was that the one we played against wisp/ck? We were winning in positioning all game, but some of us were feeding a bit due to cockiness or whatever. We just got outcarried in the late game. Dont blame me, i was just a lowly shadow demon.

The game before that, we played as wisp/ck. Was kinda backnforth, it was my first time as wisp really, and the ck hadnt done the combo either. A couple times I TPd my carry into a really awful position and had to leave him there ("had to" ;)). At the end of the game, the opponents were trying to rosh, so I tpd with ck and somehow we killed a few ppl, jacked the aegis, and got out in 1 piece. Game ended immediately after that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah I heard thats a good combo too, but I haven't ran or seen it.

Anyone else been watching dendi's stream today?

Miharu

Smash Hero
wisp + ck/tiny/sven are all dumb

just put an aggressive lane against it early to kill the wisp over and over + stunt the cks farm

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That reminds me, had a game a few days ago vs ES+Wisp. Painful

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
wisp + ck/tiny/sven are all dumb

just put an aggressive lane against it early to kill the wisp over and over + stunt the cks farm
everybody has been saying "just stomp the wisp in lane" for about half a year and I think that's not only a really bad approach but really ****ing difficult. Wisp is VERY STRONG in laning phase. Orbs give really good burst damage, even in an aoe if people are too close to each other. And you can virtually never kill the wisp, even when you catch him out of position, as he will just tether away. How many tri lanes have 3 stuns? That's the only way you're gunna kill him. It's fairly guaranteed that a good wisp is never going to be killed in the tri lane. Now think about when you fight others in the wisp tri lane. They're going to be tethered--moving faster than you and sharing the regen of the wisp. If it's my wisp, I'm going to have a magic stick in addition to the regen I brought into lane. You are NOT winning that fight. Period. Even if they **** up and you kill their carry or other support, wisp is now getting more xp while they're out of the tri lane. Unless you can keep killing them, it just means a faster relocate and a slightly less farmed ck--who doesn't need any items to kill you with the first relocate ganks. He needs level 6-7 and that's enough coupled with max spirits from wisp. Not to mention any other global move they might have.

It's much better to pick safe farmers against the wisp that can farm unhindered throughout the mid game--qop, naix, juggernaught, am, potm, etc. The reason why wisp+ck is so strong is because you either risk death by farming, or you just get outfarmed by the ck. If you make your supports sit behind a farmer, then you have one person farming, and your supports are getting behind as well as not stacking any camps. You're still falling behind just by the nature of the lineups.

Better yet is to ban wisp because that hero is ****in outrageously good

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Good write up luke. I dont really have all that much experience with wisp, so thanks for advancing my metagame :)

Top Bottom