• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Well, I definitely don't have that issue with the title. Tried just re-entering it, you sitll getting that?

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Well, I definitely don't have that issue with the title. Tried just re-entering it, you sitll getting that?
Looks fine now.

Why can't. I hold all these dota 2 invites?!

:phone:
LOL. Seriously. =((

Looks like you don't have strike through characters installed in your comp.

Oh. I saw squiggly lines under the letters on the tab but I saw squares on the actual site. It's kind of odd, lol. Was that what the original title was?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The original was Shredder crossed out (because he's been renamed Timbersaw) with the new name after.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Oh weird, I wasn't seeing the crossout when I viewed the topic, looked exactly the same to me as it does now. My bad.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
yo guys my team just won gosucup
we got $500 and each of us got a mic, keyboard, mouse, and mousepad courtesy of roccat
this gear looks seriously ownage

we beat fnatic.na 1-0, root (my old team!) 2-0, and lust+4 (really good unsponsored team) 2-0 in grand finals
finals are here http://twitch.tv/ggnetwhatiship/b/348731248
other matches aren't uploaded yet but will be here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/neodota2

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
So when are you going to do a write up about how to support like a mother****ing gosu?
do you want me to? I'm willing to do that. maybe also do a writeup on how to draft/lead a team, too

I had some decent writeups on root forums about how to catch up when you're behind. I think I posted those here if you missed it. I could dig em up again

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
Brian wrote:I always have trouble coming back from a really bad start, weather it i was playing a Ranged carry/melee/support i don't know what to do after i miss a lot of creep kills due to ganks, or me just being bad in general (i'm pretty new). Do you have any tips on recovering from a bad start? Certain items to buy? etc.

This really depends on what role you're playing.
If you're playing a carry hero, you need to find a way to get your farm to catch up. Kills are ideal, but especially if you're playing solo in match making, it can be difficult to convince people to gank your lane. Make sure that you're good at last hitting heroes and take any kill that you can get.
Ask your supports to start stacking camps for you if you're capable of farming them (gyro, melee hero with battlefury, drow with lifesteal, necrolyte, etc), and stack any camp every chance you get. ALWAYS carry a teleport and use it to maximize your farm. If the game is progressing in such a way that you are able to static farm your lane, DO IT for as long as you can. Static farming is when you do not push your lane, by autoattack denying when necessary and only hitting creeps for the last hit, and the wave just stays where it is. With practice and patience you can do this on command, and it is crucial to playing carry. It allows you to hold the lane somewhere safe (in front of your tower, for instance) and to farm to your heart's content. Circumstances where you cannot static farm are when your other lanes are being pushed--instead of teamfighting and risking death with your team, push your lane back and take the tower trade. When you are behind from a bad start, teamfighting is typically going to make you more behind (depends if you have a teamfight lineup/if you 5 man vs their 3-4man, etc).
When your lane is pushed and your map awareness tells you it isn't safe to farm anymore, go into your jungle (keeping in mind where ganks are likely to come from, and that you are not very safe is your t1/t2 towers are gone that give tp access for your team to your jungle). Look for lanes to tp to and farm. As soon as you see a wave pushing to your tower, tp just before the wave gets there, ensuring you don't give free damage on your tower to the enemy team. And make sure they aren't pushing that, because then you are tping into death.

Support heroes usually get back into the game by ganking. When your tri lane fails, go gank. When you are down 0-5 in the first 5 minutes, go buy a smoke and gank. You need to work on having the awareness of where it is best to gank. Did the enemy team tri lane with their carry and have they been pulling the lane constantly? You probably shouldn't go into their jungle then. What you can do is gank their mid lane. Another option is to single pull a wave in your safe lane, in order to stack your creep waves when the siege comes (3 minutes, 6 minute 30 seconds are the first two). Smoke gank behind their hard laner, kill them, and push that tower. If you succeed you've just got your boots.
Another way to increase your gank success rate is to really work on your awareness. To take away some ambiguity, here are the essential aspects of what I mean when I say "awareness":
1. Using wards in strategic spots+looking at lanes to see what heroes are on map
2. Watching when they go off map and thinking where they are probably going--to pull creeps? to push mid? are they just hiding in fog in their tri lane to try to get a kill when someone goes out of position in their lane? Are they responding to a push in another lane?
3. Check inventories CONSTANTLY. Try to get to the point that even if somebody is walking through ward vision for 2 seconds, you've checked their inventory. Specifically, check for teleports. This is something I feel that I'm very good at--I'm always telling my team if supports have no tps, because it means you can tower dive in your ganks. It also means you can go push towers.

Another useful way to play catchup on support, provided you cannot gank, is to start stacking camps for your carry. When they come and farm it, make sure you are there to get the exp.
Stack->pull your lane and give your starting regen to your carry so they can tank the enemy wave under tower. You both farm this way, while denying exp and gold to the enemy hard laner (but this can be the wrong decision, for instance, if they are pushing your hard lane. Respond by defending if you can or counter pushing if you can't).
And do not repeat mistakes. By this I mean if you go ganking, and your ganks failed, stop trying to gank. If you are tri laning and you keep dying to the enemy tri lane, stop trying to tri lane.

The number one way to catch up as a support hero is to NOT DIE. This should be one of the best skills you have as a support. Can you kite carries really well in fights and pull them so far out of it that it wins your team the fight? Can you position well enough that you soak up damage but never actually die, while getting your spells off? Can you bait yourself well? If you can, you're going to get back in the game simply by the gold that you get for being present.

Playing catch-up in hardlane is similar to that of as a carry. Find a way to find your farm, and stop dying.

If you're mid, ask for ganks, or go ganking yourself. CONTROL THE RUNES. The easiest way to win your mid lane, even against better players, is to have so much mana+hp regen that the skill difference is nullified.

--------------------
gunna go ahead and add a section regarding team play

when you're playing in a 5v5 cm dynamic it can be difficult to know what to do, especially when you're losing advantage. your options change as items and levels come up in the game. do they have a really strong anti push like kotl, durge, undying, ds, enigma, etc.? if not, depending on how far behind you are, it might be best to go 5 man a lane and take down a tower to get some gold. are their ultimates on cooldown or are they not yet level 6? teams with a tidehunter are extremely reliant on him getting ravage--PUNISH them as hard as you can before that time.

if they aggressive tri lane vs you and beat your lane, your carry is going to be struggling. some tri lanes you cannot fight. an example from our game vs fnatic.na yesterday--we ran kotl na and pl versus dirge disruptor and rubick. seeing that we cannot fight that lane, especially at low levels, we made it a point to never engage--let the pl farm safely, spam lances and chakra and mana burn to push the supports out of the lane, and build levels. their lineup had only one carry--od--whereas we had a broodmother forcing pressure onto their bottom, which made it impossible for them to 5man behind their undying.

even though dirge farmed more in the tri lane at first, you have to play to when your team is strong and theirs is weak.

so let's say we screwed up that tri lane and died a few times. generally speaking, the team that wins the tri lane wins the game because you dedicated all your supports and your carry to the lane versus theirs, giving huge advantage to the winner. if you *have* lost the tri lane, it's usually a really bad idea to go back to it. losing level advantage in a lane you already died in really blows. sometimes the best thing to do is go gank the map. is there a lane vulnerable to ganks? go smoke gank it. force pressure on other lanes so that they have to break up their tri lane.can you make a decent tri lane with your offlaner (like gondar? qop)? if yes, go send your supports there and push their tower. since it's a solo in their safe lane (they did aggressive tri lane), smoke gank them for a kill and push the tower. pull their creep camp into their creep wave to stall it and get big damage on their tower (you pull at x:17 or x:47). have the most important farmer farm the neutrals and their creeps while your supports hit the tower. MAKE SURE TO CHECK THEIR TRI LANE AND MID FOR TP SCROLLS when you do this. nothing worse than getting deeper behind when you're already desperate

the best way to play when behind is to take trades. are they pushing your top tower? do you know that you can't fight it? Then don't. You need to recognize as early as possible when they're pushing. If you wait for confirmation that there are 4 heroes in a lane, it's probably too late. this is where you really need to develop awareness as a player (especially as a support). you see that 2-3 are offmap. you also see that their carry has lost creep equillibrium and is pushing a lane. it's a guarantee that his team is behind him and they're moving on your tower. start pressure on every other lane IMMEDIATELY. towers become expendable in this case because they allow you to trade for one of theirs, bringing you closer to really important items that can turn the game for your favor (like a mek).

which is another point. EVERY GAME you need a mek and an urn. no exceptions. even if your team is far behind, if you are the first to grab the mek, then you have a pretty big advantage. go 5 man with it

not sure what else to say about that, generalities are difficult, you kinda just gotta play a ****load of dota and reflect on your losses sufficiently to see what went wrong

------------

if anybody has questions in general I'm always interested in responding. writeups and guides helped me so much as I learned smash, I'd be flattered and delighted to return the favor

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wall of text crits for 128 damage.

Apparently they added some new DotA trees in Source Movie Maker but are snow covered. A new DotA movie for the Christmas Event?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Nice read there MeatIsMURDER!

Wall of text crits for 128 damage.

Apparently they added some new DotA trees in Source Movie Maker but are snow covered. A new DotA movie for the Christmas Event?
I do want them to make one. In fact, I want Valve to make SFM movies of Dota 2 as much as they can. ;)

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
this event is even worse than diretide to me

why is it that i have a 3x unusual greevil and it's completely awful
it loses to all greevils 1v1, and has veno ulty, decrepify, and maledict

i see mother ****ers constantly black holing and i can't even competently melee people

ALSO legacy keys = you have to click all your greevil skills by mouse
that is just ****ing wack
/mad

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
this event is even worse than diretide to me

why is it that i have a 3x unusual greevil and it's completely awful
it loses to all greevils 1v1, and has veno ulty, decrepify, and maledict
Decrepit, maledict, veno ult, dead. Seems like it'd work.

What type of greevil have you got?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
That AoE is awesome. It's good having veno's ult too. Just ask your team-mates to pick AoE monsters and you will hardly lose. ;)

My Greevil has Ice Wall, Decripify and Laguna Blade. My Laguna blade is just good to KS camps or to kill squish heroes. I usually like to rely on my hero itself rather than my Greevil.

Anyway, I got an egg already and a few essences, I'll try to make a Seraphic one or a Dreaded until the end of the event. :3

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Idk, I'm really liking this event a lot. My only complaint is how strong the rare essences are. I didn't have a greevil til this event started, but I managed to get 3 exort essences and hatch an egg. I got decrep, rot and laguna blade, and a passive 30% crit. I played against a guy with some rare OP greevil and he had 6 or 7 stat modifiers, had a greevil with 1800 hp around level 7. It wasn't even fair.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Shadow has the same mods as Seraphic as far as Im aware. I had a blue and orange before the event, I dropped an egg and was able to use my leftover essences to make a Seraphic, and help a friend make a seraphic too. My Seraphic has Maledict, Hook, and purify. My friends has Blade Fury, bash, and Purify. And my third friend we played with I lent my blue with Magic missile, Ice wall, and Black hole; we didn't lose a single game all night.

On top of having seraphics/shadow/blues as I think they're the best, hero choice is pretty important. Leo is the most OP hero by far, I always go with Rexxar as he's pretty good too, and our third pick is usually Necro. If we had a 5 man i'd probably suggest Vengeful and Enigma for the last two. You stay in greevil form like 90% of the time though, aside from casting Wild Beast.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Well, ignore a lot of that now, update.

- Naked Greevils now get a random ultimate too.
- Auras from heroes no longer apply when in Greevil mode.
- Rebalanced the essence stat bonuses slightly. This should make seraphic greevils slightly weaker overall and colored greevils should be the best at whatever their essence gives innately.
- Added Ogre Magi Greevil.
- The items heroes receive from presents are now significantly better.
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes caused non-naked greevils to get incorrect/random abilities.
- Fixed a few greevil ability tooltips that were crediting abilities to the wrong essence/egg colors.
- Fixed Greeviling game summary gifts somtimes displaying incorrectly.
So Id guess... Syllabear/Enigma/still Necro/ maybe something like TH/SK is the best now, I dunno.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You think so? I think tinker is pretty good, just burst out your dmg/aoe then transform and use greevil. Like you said, you spend 90% of your time as greevil so fast burst is really useful.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
being close enough to laser probably means you're close enough to die without being able to transform. Even with Rexxar if it was about to be a team fight it wasn't worth using Roar as I'd often just end up dead for it.

I think a team of AoE CC is probably the way to go to be able to safely use spells then transform. Enigma is amazing cause he can convert the small greevils to insta kill them, which means your team kills the big one first then instantly secures the camp. Necro ult is amazing on the neutral greevils, almost never use it in team fights. Sylla is pretty good and you just give the bear your items including boots, he suffers from being completely useless in sylla form though. DP can ult then go greevil and she keeps her ghosts as far as I'm aware.

Other than that AoE stuns like cask/stormbolt/ravage seem really good. Sven can also do some nice damage with his ult and cleave.

I could always just straight be wrong though, but Ive got a pretty good record so far.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well how I do tinker is mostly based around march, which does like 400 to anyone who stands in it. Use that before a team fight, then throw out your other 2 nukes and transform (targets isn't really important). It just does a lot of total damage, more than anyone else can do in that short of time.

Magnus and centuar seem pretty good, too. AoE stuns and tanky isn't something to shake a stick at. I didn't think about the syllabear thing, I might try that. I agree with everything you've said, too.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
The bear is crazy strong midgame, entangle can ensure a lot of kills. Meepo apparently keeps all his clones too, might be worth trying to have your 3 meepos solo a camp on your side of the map while your main meepo as a greevil is on the offensive on a camp on the enemy side with the rest of your team.

Huge damage or long range nukes can be incredibly valuable too for stealing camps. Laguna/Finger/Sun Strike/Meteor/Power Shot/QoP ult can all become incredibly useful. Also worth noting is Greevil hook/Pudge hook for hooking the greevils out of the camp can really change the game too. A well timed chronosphere too.

Before I played Id have thought Magnus and Centaur would be extremely good, but so far I've only played against them and have beaten them.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah I don't think centuar is quite as good as magnus, but magnus' AoE spells are pretty useful for winning a teamfight. The meta seems to revolve around burst damage to kill 1 person quick or to snipe a neutral camp. Anything that helps with that, especially stuns, are very useful. Magic Missile is such a useful greevil skill, probably the best non-ult. Get 2 or 3 people on the same team with it and you can pick off anyone EZ.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I've got some spares. What do you need?

Been using Spirit Breaker, he's great to charge and zip between camps, and (used to) have the speed aura go through his form.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I havent decided what I'm building, I'm leaning towards blue. I am 1 yellow + blue short of 3 of each, though. I have spare red to trade

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Blue is really consistent, but white is still the best overall. I think I read that if you want passive stats and a blue you're supposed to do 3 blue 2 yellow 2 red, but you get more variance in your non-black hole abilities that way.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah, exactly. I was also considering doing yellow, but I would need some luck. Might go red with high blue and yellow, hope for not rot lol

edit- are the skills random by tier too? If I only put in 1 blue, would that only give me a chance for magic missile and not ice wall?

im just gonna go 3red/2blue/2yellow and hope for a lucky roll (maybe permabash + crit + laguna)

edit2- got timelock and leech seed. Still an upgrade from what i had before.

edit3- i see why you think white is the best now

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Grabbed an extra egg from the steam community marketplace for 60c gonna hang on to it, see if I get lucky with any essences, otherwise I'll make a green Greevil for the courier.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
If you want to be good carry tp scrolls always.

if you want to punish someone for not being good carry tp scrolls always.

if you see someone without a tp scroll gank the other side of the map.

also im still on my mission so i won't be playing dota for another 21 months. So let me know how this all goes. :D

way to go on the win toma. Hopefully you are still playing when I get back and we can see how everything looks. :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Only realised yesterday that you can use all items on Spirit Breaker mid-charge. Grabbed a shadow blade and man, it was amazing. They couldn't see me coming, so no starting to run back towards a tower because a ward caught me, the 'ram' from the charge doesn't break stealth, so the first hit breaks stealth getting the extra damage. Thing is a cannon. Went 13-1-17 with it (Went 3 branches + shield + tango + potion, boots, wand, bracer, HP booster, treads, vanguard, shadowblade, MoM and won with 6k left over.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thats good to know. I learned that treant's invis doesn't break when you cast a spell yesterday, which is pretty cool.

GurrenLogann

Smash Rookie
hi guys im looking to get into dota and I have a bunch of random questions that I was hoping you could help me with. Just for some background I got a beta key through a valve tour but I have never followed or played dota because I have been focused mainly on starcraft for the last year or so. Anyway ever since teamliquid began to cover and stream more dota I have become interested in giving the game a try, especially with the poor state of starcraft at the moment.
So some questions:
1. First and formost I have no idea how dota works at all. Where can I find some sort of video or guide or whatever that can really lay the game out for someone who has never even touched a moba before?
2. How similar or different is the game from League of legends? From an uneducated perspective the games seem quite similar...
3. Mechanically how hard are we talking here? I'm masters league in starcraft- can I expect to have to play at anywhere near similar speeds?
4. Is there a projected release date for dota? as far as I know the game is still in beta but I'm not sure.
5. Who are the dominant countries/teams/players in dota? Is one country dominant like how korea rules starcraft?
6. What are the best dota related sites for following/learning about the game?
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read/answer any of these:)

wezai

Smash Journeyman
hi guys im looking to get into dota and I have a bunch of random questions that I was hoping you could help me with. Just for some background I got a beta key through a valve tour but I have never followed or played dota because I have been focused mainly on starcraft for the last year or so. Anyway ever since teamliquid began to cover and stream more dota I have become interested in giving the game a try, especially with the poor state of starcraft at the moment.
So some questions:
Hi there, I hope you enjoy the game, it's really fun throughout the learning process and it becomes even better once you learn the game. I'll try to assist you:

1. First and formost I have no idea how dota works at all. Where can I find some sort of video or guide or whatever that can really lay the game out for someone who has never even touched a moba before?
I don't know about any good video, however, you can try checking Purge's channel on YouTube as he often stream games of different heroes, which is a good short-cut if you want to see how a hero plays and etc. He is often giving bits and pieces of advice here and there. I would also recommend DotaCinema, they introduce the heroes that were ported from the Warcraft Dota so far and have some different type of guides as well.

To read, this one is a good start: http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide/learning-the-ropes-a-beginners-guide-to-dota-8

Please don't forget to read this one: http://www.playdota.com/guides/welcome-to-dota-you-suck, because the community can be really bad at times. Prepare not only your body but your mind. If anything, you never be afraid of muting players. ;)

2. How similar or different is the game from League of legends? From an uneducated perspective the games seem quite similar...
It's not much different. The goal is still the same, gain levels, fight heroes, buy items and destroy buildings. Destroy the enemy's Ancient building to win the match.

Where they really are far apart is when it comes to core-mechanics, for instance Dota uses STR, AGI and INT as some sort of basic attributes or how the Fog of War works (it is like SC2 since it has downhills and uphills). Also, Dota doesn't have a meta (which is somewhat arguable), you can try any kind of strategy. You can run tri-lanes or duo-lanes, your games doesn't need to have a jungler at all and many more. So sometimes even though you know your enemy composition, it can be hard to guess what they want to pull off. Don't take my word on this because I have played very few LoL matches, I am just basing on what I have heard from others.

3. Mechanically how hard are we talking here? I'm masters league in starcraft- can I expect to have to play at anywhere near similar speeds?
Not much, it will be easy for you as the majority of the heroes don't require much APM. There's few heroes who require a bit of micro-skills because they can control "summons". There's also Meepo who is basically your hero divided into 4 (5!) which can be the hardest to many since if any of his clones dies, you die.

What will really get you is the game-mechanics, it can take a bit of time to learn. Learning what every spell can do and actually memorize it can take months. It's not so rare to see veterans who don't know the mechanics of a certain spell. One example is that I have played Dota for many years and I still didn't memorize the interaction between the item Linken's Sphere with certain spells. Just as reference: http://www.playdota.com/guides/the-complete-linkens-sphere.

4. Is there a projected release date for dota? as far as I know the game is still in beta but I'm not sure.
I don't think Valve ever mentioned a release date, but I am guessing it's not too far ahead, from what we know is that the tutorial-mode is close to finished. Keep in mind that they don't actually need to have ported all Dota 1 heroes to Dota 2 for it to be released, it can be done after, what is really important as of now is to get new players into the game, which is why I think that Valve working on the tutorial mode is a hint that they might be planning to release it soon. At least Q1 or Q2 of 2013.

5. Who are the dominant countries/teams/players in dota? Is one country dominant like how korea rules starcraft?
Usually people recognize that the dominant country is China, IG from China won the last "The International 2" (tournament hosted by Valve) and I think 4 Chinese teams were top 6 as well. European and Asian teams are usually strong. But since it's a team game, you will notice that a lot of teams have mixed players from other countries, so it is really hard to pin-point a place that usually spawns good players. For now I would say China is a strong country when it comes to Dota. As for teams, iG, LGD, Na'Vi, Zenith and CLG come to mind.

6. What are the best dota related sites for following/learning about the game?
There's many, but the official one can have some good guides or threads. The Strategy, Competitive Chat and Replay sub-forums are the best places to read if you really wanna learn. Here's the url: http://www.playdota.com. I usually post there under the IGN of wesai.

You can try other places as well.

A good website to watch competitive games is joindota, Tobi is the caster and even though he doesn't teach much he can entertain you with epic narrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5TsInvAAww. If he is broadcasting alongside Synderen then you might learn a bit too, since he usually educate players on certain strategies and generally explains why a certain player did a certain move. Here is the website: http://www.joindota.com/

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read/answer any of these:)
You are welcome, I hope you like the game and have lots of fun! :)

Top Bottom