• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Stage Thread - Time to Finish Green Greens then move on to Halberd!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
green greens = SA HEAVEN!

every platform to anywhere on the stage!

one of DK"s best stages IMO. beats a camping G&W and DDD. use it on the ground against G&W and in the air against DDD.

you pretty much only want to use upb against DDD here if they CP you

Luigi player

Smash Master
Invincible upB:

Pokemon Stadium 1:
On the Rock stage:
Works on the lowest metal platform.
And on the top-right side of the mountain.

Also you can go through the windmill if you hold down. This only works if you're not in hitstun though. And you can't go through the center of the windmill.

Green Greens... I wonder if Dededes wall infinite is banned. If not expect everyone to pick Dedede if you CP that stage.

-small blastzone
-DK can dtilt lock
-dthrow chaingrab (not too long though; I think it only works till ~35 % or something)
-the bomb-explosion hitboxes only last 1 frame so you can use the initial hit of the aerial upB on them and you won't get hit
-cargo dtoss at the sides (but you have to jump/walk off the platform to go further to the blastzone)
-somewhat good against camping (not sure though, because in the end you probably have to approach anyway since the projectiles from your opponents will destroy those blocks and it can be difficult to approach them, because of the platforms (especially if all the blocks are there))
-free giant punch charges if you run away or something and the enemy doesn't chase you
-you could use upB SA glitch from the middle platform to the sides if the blocks aren't there
-you can use the upB SA glitch from the platforms to some blocks; or on the platforms on the sides if no blocks are there and then grab the ledge of the middle platform
-if you use grounded upB on some blocks at the end of the upB blocks below you will get destroyed (watch out if there are bombs)
-you can avoid wall locks if you downB near the blocks to destroy them (downB won't destroy many blocks; it only really helps if there are bombs so the explosion will destroy all blocks; if there aren't any bombs you can normally attack them to get them away)
-the blocks are solid, even if they fall; if you airdodge through some falling blocks they move you down a bit if you're below them and they get destroyed (bombs will explode, but the explosion won't hurt you if you airdodge)
-if you hit blocks there will be some hitlag and the hitbox will stay out longer
-use the apples as projectiles (sometimes they heal 8 % and they rarely explode when they land on the ground the first time)
-you can go under the middle part of the stage (if bombs are at the lowest point where blocks can be they can hit you though)
-if you're pressured on the ledge of one of the side platforms you can go below the platform and grab the ledges where the blocks land
-if you stand on some blocks and sideB or dsmash you will destroy the blocks right below you (and blocks that are higher of course)
-you can giant punch through bombs (they do 20 % though)
-with dsmash you can actually destroy bombs without getting hit (you have to face them), BUT you need to be as far away as possible (don't do this on the platforms on the sides if the bombs are too high!)
-the spike frames of fair can destroy bombs below you without you getting hit

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
You can roflcopter on the conveyor belts of stadium 2. Green greens is one of my favorite stages. Most of the things I can think of have already been covered though.

Dr. Grandpa

Smash Ace
yo if i face falco, diddy, mks, snake @ mlg (who else? majority of em would use ?) what should i take em respectively (alot stages to consider) and also wut should i be warned about if they counterpick us

orcrist

Smash Rookie
dks best and worst maps?

what are some of dks best and worst maps i just started to main him and im not too sure where to go

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well, I'd have to say it all really deppends on the MU.

Stages with walls and obsticals like Green Greens is good against other characters that have many spammable projectiles. Other stages against characters that don't, imo are better on flat stages like FD and SV. Castle Seige is good too (unless it's banned :|).

But yeah, stages with ledges like FD can be great, and give you time to think about you're next move, while you have some SA frams on the ledges. Getting caught under them is the bad part.

Stages that have no ledges are good for DK. He has some pretty easy Cargo kills by walking to the other side of the map and throwing them off the edge. Problem with this is that he can be chaingrabbed all the way to the edge, due to his weight and how big he is (wink).

So yeah, bro. It all just deppends on the characters you're going against.

orcrist

Smash Rookie
ok based on that my second meta knight what characters in tourneys should i use my meta on? besides snake i use pikachu on him

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see one coherent stage discussion thread with more discussion because there's a couple of different ones I've seen floating.

Somebody could correct me if they feel I'm wrong, but I think Yoshi's Island is the best DK neutral. He can easily helicopter onto the stage as a ledge option because of the slant and the platform proves useful. FD is probably the worst depending on MU especially Diddy because he can get camped hard. I kind of like Jungle Japes as a CP because there are a lot of helicopter options and it's a good stage for his spacing.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
I'd love to see one coherent stage discussion thread with more discussion because there's a couple of different ones I've seen floating.

Somebody could correct me if they feel I'm wrong, but I think Yoshi's Island is the best DK neutral. He can easily helicopter onto the stage as a ledge option because of the slant and the platform proves useful. FD is probably the worst depending on MU especially Diddy because he can get camped hard. I kind of like Jungle Japes as a CP because there are a lot of helicopter options and it's a good stage for his spacing.
True, about FD, but it's just a flat stage example :p

That's why, I think Green Greens would be AWESOME against Diddy.. At least I'm thinking so. his Bananas would be hard to use for him there. :f
Not only that, but I think Diddy is too fast for the stage, and his moves are too wreckless.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Naner lock against GG's walls is a killer though.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You can only get nana locked on the sides, in the middle they will bounce on the platform.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218346
That's the only thread I found on stage discussion in the DK boards.

I'm tempted to create a new one.
Yes do this! :) Except I think this stage thread is much better: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259088

Yoshi Island is a very good stage for DK mainly because of the 'ROFLcopter' thing, it can also be performed on Pictochat so I would say that stage is good as well.

Jungle Japes is another good stage for DK since he doesn't have trouble recovering when he's in the water, though that stage is usually banned in my area.

Anyways I'm going to merge this with the stage thread just to bump it.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think FD is DK's worst stage. Not because it works against him, but because it lacks any cool stuff to toy around with. DK's awesome throw mechanics, his funky special move properties, and his giant gorilla arms are just so much less fun on this stage. NOTHING TO PLAY WITH AT ALL!

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
I think we should get this discussion starting. Especially for DK Newcomer, the choice which stage they should ban and counter again is very hard, imo. So input all of your knowlegde or start an new thread with bans and counter agianst all character.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I think FD is DK's worst stage. Not because it works against him, but because it lacks any cool stuff to toy around with. DK's awesome throw mechanics, his funky special move properties, and his giant gorilla arms are just so much less fun on this stage. NOTHING TO PLAY WITH AT ALL!
I agree. On a stage like battlefield with platforms, DK's range on his bair, uptilt, ftilt, uair, lagless helicopter, dsmash, and upsmash come in handy for abusing landings on the platforms, more so then most characters. The platforms also come in handy for falling out of doing a quick bair. Battlefield also has all the benefits of FD such as living for a really long time and cargo spiking/ throwing character with poor recoveries away from the ledge, plus the ledges help him against campers. He can use the platforms to camp a little bit himself and charge a punch. Overall, Battlefield gives so many options for DK and works better for him. Characters that could juggle him easily he outranges and he can juggle them too.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I would do the stage discussion, but it would need input because I'll forget if there isn't input. Do you think this board is active enough to keep it open?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Stage discussion is easy. Its like

"Platforms are good
slanted ledge = invulnerable copter
small edges = early kills/cargo throw
ledge that you can go through = more versatile recovery"

Pretty easy lol. Also, I'm gonna have a vid up of grab shenanigans with DK.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Would you take over this thread or start a new one?

I also like your thread in the Pika boards where it has Counterpicking, Stage Strikes, Ban Stages etc. Just saying :p

Anyways, even though the DK boards aren't active, maybe taking over the stage thread may boost some activity.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not gonna do it like I did the pika one. I will do it stage by stage, starting with COUNTERPICKS and working my way up to neutrals. People know their neutrals a lot better than their CPs.

I would start my new thread btw.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Um...can you record replays? I won't have time to record my vids until monday...and it is a neat thing on RC/GG that DK can do to everybody! Well...GG is just D-throw (Not cargo D-throw) CG until like...50%, and the RC one is a free kill when it is resetting. CG against the wall and then U-throw when it is done and its a free kill :D

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah I can record replays. :)

Although, I'm sorta in the same boat as you, I have technical difficulties with my internet at the moment, it'll be back by next week.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Oh haha, I thought you just wanted to chat. Upload them to Mediafire or Rapidshare or someting and I'll download that.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=i2jakq44nlbok

Can you record them and then send them back? I wanna make one video with them. If you wanna do it its fine. I wanna say stuff about CGing up slopes (You will see distand planet and Castle Siege) and then stuff on RC and then stuff on GG (I think). You can just put them together.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I don't think DK can CG anybody normally. There has to be a slope or wall...there ISN'T one on ZSS, and i doubt there is one on Pika either.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Ok, so i have been away for a while but i am back. I will continue to oversee this thread, I hope i can get ideas from people who have them on how to enhance this thread.

@Cable A while back me and a friend tested if DK could do d-throw CG on characters. It turned out that DK has a d-throw CG on no one. The ZSS one does not work, nor does the one on pika, and since i was the one to report it on pika i am sorry for causing this confusion. Any character can sidestep before DK gets in grab range, some characters can even jump away.

Top Bottom