• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Donkey Kong Competitive and Metagame Discussion

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Donkey Kong players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Donkey Kong and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Found out a new property of DKs smashattacks (well, got it from japanese framedata pages):

They all have some sort of "trample"!

Let me quote my description of it:
"Trample: This is an attribute some moves have that let's them continue to go on even when they clash / clank. They then also proceed to hit the other character since their hitbox continues normally. They can still be outprioritized to get beaten completely, and since (normal) aerials can't clank they also "ignore" this property."

Though before you get too excited, it seems like DKs usmash won't hit opponents after they clashed (this only matters against opponents on a platform above you anyway though).
Fsmash seems weird too. Sometimes it happens to hit the opponent, but most of the time it doesn't. Could be hitbox / spacing dependant. But DKs hurtbox on his arms while he reaches forward is really bad for him since they don't have a hitbox at first which makes it super easy to hit him out of it.
Dsmash works well though. It always beats moves and then hits the opponent as well.

I guess I should use dsmash more.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I honestly rarely find myself using my smash attacks, besides using the Dsmash on roll spammers. I use my tilts to combo and get my opponent off stage and then just edgeguard for my kills. That or I get a kill throw with Bthrow or I cargo throw~>jump towards blast line~>cargo Dthrow. I've gotta see a mad read if I'm going to commit to a forward smash. Sometimes I can combo Utilt~>Usmash at low %.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
With the buff in up smash range ive found that once grounded with side B we can kill combo any character starting at 70% (As low as 60% for light weights). The combo is side B to shorthop fast fall dair to either up smash or up air, up smash only works on characters at like 70-90% and up air works on anything higher than that. It's a registered as a combo on training so I think it should be true. That dair just has so much hit stun but so little knock back since theyre grounded. I could consistently kill a kirby at 60% and a fox or mario at 70-90%. Just more reason to use side B i suppose besides the shield break potential.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
With the buff in up smash range ive found that once grounded with side B we can kill combo any character starting at 70% (As low as 60% for light weights). The combo is side B to shorthop fast fall dair to either up smash or up air, up smash only works on characters at like 70-90% and up air works on anything higher than that. It's a registered as a combo on training so I think it should be true. That dair just has so much hit stun but so little knock back since theyre grounded. I could consistently kill a kirby at 60% and a fox or mario at 70-90%. Just more reason to use side B i suppose besides the shield break potential.
This is BIG if it works consistently against most the cast, great discovery brah.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Thanks man I've been testing for awhile now, even if they DI we can still clip them with up air or do a dash > upsmash to adjust our spacing slightly after the dair and it still registers a combo.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Something else Id like to mention that i saw Vex do today that's really good. When edge guarding with bair, go straight after them with it so that it will either hit them or they will air dodge which will probably happen. After the bair misses drift into them and use up-b to get the strong hit for the kill or gimp. I believe this is a true frame trap because our up-b comes out so fast and hits surprisingly hard

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Something else Id like to mention that i saw Vex do today that's really good. When edge guarding with bair, go straight after them with it so that it will either hit them or they will air dodge which will probably happen. After the bair misses drift into them and use up-b to get the strong hit for the kill or gimp. I believe this is a true frame trap because our up-b comes out so fast and hits surprisingly hard
you sir have just successfully expanded my dong... no homo....
but seriously, ya idk why i haven't thought of this before.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Just started teating this out, do you think there's time to reliably squeeze in a jab or somethig that won't unbury them for more damage? Obviously more likely the higher it goes, but if it's killing it doesn't really matter outside of making big numbers to be showy.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
In competition i say use the dair as fast as you can since people can and will mash out before you can get it off sometimes. Another good set up is to dtilt them a few times while theyre buried then read the release the up air them. It's not guaranteed like the dair set up but it works often and and you can get a lot of damage with it.

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
Has anyone tried air down b onto the stage? that can lead up to any smash attacks and even the Donkey Punch depending if they DI or not. I just found it today while I was in messing around in training mode

riku45

Smash Rookie
Has anyone attempted to try and use cargo throw down in the air to gimp the person off stage of setup an easy Dair? I was playing around with it today and notice you could possible gimp players are 10% if you use it off stage. When you use it in the air it stalls DK as if he is doing a grounded down throw and allows him to recover to the stage easily.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
You can also use fair. But it only works at low %s, and that % they can mash out easily preventing this from happening.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
http://smashboards.com/threads/tourney-locator-tech-of-the-week-hit-pause-os.416401/

DK Can use this, brainstorm guys. How can we abuse this.
Maybe D tilt into an OS side b.
if the d tilt hits we go into side b and it combos if they trip, if they shield then instant shield break.
If it wiffs we just dash forward? I am not to familiar with this yet, maybe Big O knows more about it.

Lots of "tech" out there is useless but I feel like this has real potential to advance us.

Trevor.CND

Smash Rookie
Hello during all day I've search at which percentages character died of that combo. And i've finally found that for each OF them.

Without rage

Mario/Dr Mario 77-95%
Luigi 70-78%
Peach 67-78%
Bowser 85-97%
Yoshi 72-86%
Rosaluma 62-75%
Bowser Jr 81-105%
Wario 78-100%
G&W 58-71%
DK 88-118%
Diddy K 74-104%
Link 78-108%
Zelda 67-89%
Ganondorf 83-111%
Toon link 69-83%
Samus 76-97%
Zss 69-104%
Pit/Dark Pit 73-99%
Palutena 68-84%
Marth/Lucina 74-103%
Ike 83-114%
Robin 74-104%
Kirby 62-82%
King dedede 93-131%
Metaknight 65-88%
Little mac 74-105%
Fox 67-95%
Falco 69-96%
Pikachu 65-88%
Charizard 78-98%
Lucario 77-106%
Jigglypuff 55-66%
Greninja 70-94%
Duck hunt 75-108%
Ness 70-84%
C.Falcon 86-116%
Villager 72-87%
Sheik 67-95%
Olimar 65-81%
WFT 70-89%
Shulk 78-104%
Pac Man 70-87%
Megaman 82-108%
Sonic 74-90%
Mewtwo 64-86%
Roy 79-106%
Ryu 79-108%
Lucas 71-84%
Mii brawler (S) 78-104%
Mii swordfighter (S) 76-98%
Mii gunner (S) 74-92%

All the test have been done on wii u (might not work on 3ds or maybe with a bit higher base %). There it is the best percentages to KILL the opponent with this combo

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Honestly this data is good but we need to but together a complete list of kill percents with rage.

Rage starts at what 50? It is usually going to be affecting the combo.

Trevor.CND

Smash Rookie
You're right. But i've already detected something when dk is at +100% you just need to take my data and minus 10% OF all the values and also when dk is at +160% you need to minus 20%.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Hello during all day I've search at which percentages character died of that combo. And i've finally found that for each OF them.

Without rage

Mario/Dr Mario 77-95%
Luigi 70-78%
Peach 67-78%
Bowser 85-97%
Yoshi 72-86%
Rosaluma 62-75%
Bowser Jr 81-105%
Wario 78-100%
G&W 58-71%
DK 88-118%
Diddy K 74-104%
Link 78-108%
Zelda 67-89%
Ganondorf 83-111%
Toon link 69-83%
Samus 76-97%
Zss 69-104%
Pit/Dark Pit 73-99%
Palutena 68-84%
Marth/Lucina 74-103%
Ike 83-114%
Robin 74-104%
Kirby 62-82%
King dedede 93-131%
Metaknight 65-88%
Little mac 74-105%
Fox 67-95%
Falco 69-96%
Pikachu 65-88%
Charizard 78-98%
Lucario 77-106%
Jigglypuff 55-66%
Greninja 70-94%
Duck hunt 75-108%
Ness 70-84%
C.Falcon 86-116%
Villager 72-87%
Sheik 67-95%
Olimar 65-81%
WFT 70-89%
Shulk 78-104%
Pac Man 70-87%
Megaman 82-108%
Sonic 74-90%
Mewtwo 64-86%
Roy 79-106%
Ryu 79-108%
Lucas 71-84%
Mii brawler (S) 78-104%
Mii swordfighter (S) 76-98%
Mii gunner (S) 74-92%

All the test have been done on wii u (might not work on 3ds or maybe with a bit higher base %). There it is the best percentages to KILL the opponent with this combo
The list already exists in this thread, along with a lot more stuff. I moved your thread here since there is already a thread with the information available.

Last edited:

me quazzy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9401-0113
I've noticed the lack of a thread that shows true combos for DK from within recent times with the newer patches. Or maybe I just haven't noticed it.
I know DK doesn't have a lot of true combo potential but I figured we could share ideas on the matter along with other combos that aren't neccessarily true but work well.
There's one I've been working with that seems like it'll work with all heavy characters along with most medium ones at 0% and some more maybe.
It's gotta be close to work which I could try and work around later. Up tilt --> jab --> jab --> down tilt --> dash attack --> (this part gets kinda questionable) neutral air --> jab --> jab --> then whatever you think you can work in because its hard to chain after this. I'd like to provide a video but it's still in the works. I'd really like some feedback on this and to know if it's been worked before. I'd also like to see some other combos you all might be storing.
Edit: Forgot to mention, that combo can get around 47% or more when done properly. I'll be posting all that I find.

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I've noticed the lack of a thread that shows true combos for DK from within recent times with the newer patches. Or maybe I just haven't noticed it.
I know DK doesn't have a lot of true combo potential but I figured we could share ideas on the matter along with other combos that aren't neccessarily true but work well.
There's one I've been working with that seems like it'll work with all heavy characters along with most medium ones at 0% and some more maybe.
It's gotta be close to work which I could try and work around later. Up tilt --> jab --> jab --> down tilt --> dash attack --> (this part gets kinda questionable) neutral air --> jab --> jab --> then whatever you think you can work in because its hard to chain after this. I'd like to provide a video but it's still in the works. I'd really like some feedback on this and to know if it's been worked before. I'd also like to see some other combos you all might be storing.
Edit: Forgot to mention, that combo can get around 47% or more when done properly. I'll be posting all that I find.
This thread is what you are looking for. The combo you have listed is also not really a combo, but people can fall for strings like that sometimes. Welcome to the DK boards! Your thread post was moved here btw.

Last edited:

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
played as donkey kong yesterday on for glory and got my ass beat by a ganon and then got super angry.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
thanks I am trying to get used to DK in smash 4.I have been working on my cargo throws into up airs. I know that comes in handy against heavier characters at higher percents.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
ZSS is our worst match up imo I usually prefer to not play DK against her, you should use your jab to cancel out her stun gun and jump or roll away everytime she runs in for a grab so that you can punish. Short hop double bair helps alot at getting in vs her. The juggles to the up-b is just a super strong option vs us so you have to be super careful.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I already knew about this. it is pretty easy to tech the down air so the combo is pretty unreliable.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
I have never seen anyone tech down air while being grounded by down-b, I guess people just assume its not possible?
Also if they are in dair to up smash combo percents it is extremely easy to mash out of.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
i guess so lol. ive tested it in training mode and sadly, it's pretty easy to escape it :(

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Ive never seen anyone tech it either but i think it's still good for those who are new to the match up. Which is most people

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
So yesterday after trying out the new patch with some friends, I missed Giant punch and in a frantic reaction tried down smashing.

This lead me to discover that after using giant punch, before DK resets to neutral there seems to be a brief window of opportunity to cancel the animation and follow up with a smash attack (and possibley a jab, grab ect),

Sorry if this is an old Tech but I only noticed it after yesterdays patch.

Thoughts guys?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
So yesterday after trying out the new patch with some friends, I missed Giant punch and in a frantic reaction tried down smashing.

This lead me to discover that after using giant punch, before DK resets to neutral there seems to be a brief window of opportunity to cancel the animation and follow up with a smash attack (and possibley a jab, grab ect),

Sorry if this is an old Tech but I only noticed it after yesterdays patch.

Thoughts guys?
This isn't actually new or even really tech. The fully charged punch just has deceptive IASA frames that catch people off guard. Been that way since Brawl, possibly Melee/64.

Top Bottom