• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the level 9 CPU adapt to situation in a match?

cykofox

Smash Ace
I've been practicing on the cpu level 9 on training mode, and it seems to me that they adjust accordingly. Sometimes they get campy, like when they have high percentages and spam projectiles. Sometimes they stand there while im facing the other side and don't even go for the grab as anticipating some sort of attack from me. It seems wolf and snake are especially prone to this..

I really don't know...

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
They have their moments, but they're still utterly predictable. I've had some times where they appeared to be edgehogging, but that can easily be attributed to a conflict in their AI making them jump off to attack but at the same time get on the stage to be safe. Or something like that. (Yuna experienced this before iirc.)

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
For some reason fighting lvl 9 Wolf really feels like fighting a human.

It kind of weirds me out sometimes.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
If you're asking whether or not lvl 9's understand when and when not to spam, then yes, it'd seem so.

They're still bad for practice.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I don't know. I have see computers taunt me in other ways when I die.

Nair (Which is what I do)
Dedede's Crouch
I even recall a Dash Dance

Maybe its just me...

Frate

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Playing Pokémon trainer LVL 9 is quite annoying if you don't play often with him since he changes style with each pokémon all the time.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
They are actually AI to some extent. They will "watch" you and adapt to your play style. If you do something at a certain situation (ie. DeDeDe crouch as a taunt) they see that and will apply it.

Two situations to back this arguement are; when I play as fox I use the fair to help recover, the comps never did this, now they do it all the time. Also when I play pit I like to randomly loop arrows and wingdash, the comps "saw" this and started doing it, as a matter of fact I was spamming wingdashing on one side of the stage the comp was standing there then next thing I knew he was spamming wingdashing too.

paul1290

Smash Rookie
It seems that if they keep using a certain tactic and if you always counter it and punish them effectively they'll stop using it, so they do adapt to some degree. Still, they aren't exactly the best practice.

Obviously, a lot of techniques that work well against CPUs don't work against humans.

The opposite can also be true. A very good tactic that might serve you well in a tournament can sometimes be foiled by a CPU using cheap faster-than-human reflexes.

In any case, a CPU is still not a good substitute for playing against a human, but they're better than nothing.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Finally a chance to bring this up. Call me crazy, but I think that the AI in this game updates everytime you go on wi-fi, and plays like different people.

I've been SH-Naired and RaR'd by Ike
Falco SHLasered me once
Marth even takes advantages of his IASA frames

>__> Creepy stuff

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Yes. Someone said it somewhere on the thread. If something happens, they react accordingly. However, they can't think to a certain degree as humans do and truly strategize.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
No they work with chances according to your position. If you're far away there is a higher chance they fire a blaster. That makes them look more campy. They sometimes do rare stuff just because it falls into place exactly right, not because they "planned" it. They react on your input so.

Saltix

Smash Lord
No they work with chances according to your position. If you're far away there is a higher chance they fire a blaster. That makes them look more campy. They sometimes do rare stuff just because it falls into place exactly right, not because they "planned" it. They react on your input so.
I get what you're saying, but their reaction to my dash is a shorthopped nair?

Honestly it weirds me out, but I don't train on CPUs so it doesn't matter to me :]

Azzizaz

Smash Apprentice
CPU Wolf lvl 9 spams SH Blaster like crazy. It's quite boring to fight to the point that it's annoying lol.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Chew on this.

I main DK, and abuse SA frames in his punch against the overly aggressive comps.

Well the DK did it, but I thought nothing of it, until Kirby started doing it, when he never did before.

He used to just charge it up and randomly waste it, like I did when I first bought the game.

I actually have a replay where me and him EXCHANGE SA hits. Ever since then he has used my own SA against me.

I don't think it's human, I think the comp records and saves your button inputs, and saves the ones where you don't get hit or score a KO, or don't get KO'd yourself.

The comp crouch taunts me as well......

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I hate to bump this, but I notice the nonspike happy comps are copying my spike style, and missing with DK's fair, which I often do....

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This whole thing about computers adjusting and the other stuff the above posts talk about kinda scare me.
I mean, I bet the CPU's Futile practices on could get top 10 in a tournaments.
>_>

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I agree with sasukebowser, this is the beginning of the robotic uprising.
Of course I'm safe 'cause this stuff never happens to me :p.

Saltix

Smash Lord
Chew on this.

I main DK, and abuse SA frames in his punch against the overly aggressive comps.

Well the DK did it, but I thought nothing of it, until Kirby started doing it, when he never did before.

He used to just charge it up and randomly waste it, like I did when I first bought the game.

I actually have a replay where me and him EXCHANGE SA hits. Ever since then he has used my own SA against me.

I don't think it's human, I think the comp records and saves your button inputs, and saves the ones where you don't get hit or score a KO, or don't get KO'd yourself.

The comp crouch taunts me as well......
I knew I wasn't crazy! I used to do the typical ShNair->AAAcombo with Ike, sometimes followed with a RAR. The comp copies me :[

At least I'm not alone

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
In Smash64, if an item appeared, they would stop attacking you and go after it.

In Melee, if you shoot them with a lazor, they powershield.

Nuff said :p

Gaussis

Smash Ace
I doubt that the CPUs will ever get the paths I follow with pkt. Even if I spam a couple, I've never seen a CPU ness do any of those things

ddizzeldexley

Smash Rookie
same here i main toon link and the comp. fight notihng like i do they just charge at me while there no tommorow.

PieM4ster

Smash Rookie
They do weird stuff sometimes, but they are still complete idiots.

My favorite thing to do on a computer with D3 is basically throw them off the cliff and time my fsmash and kill them. For me, it works 80% of the time. More proof that comps suck for training.

It does seem though that they dodge everything I would dodge, which they didn't do when i got the game.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
at least they don't just always do quick A attacks like in melee even when ur at like 150%

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
at least they don't just always do quick A attacks like in melee even when ur at like 150%
Oh yeah that was sooo annoying.
CPU 9 fox against a human Bowser, worst feeling ever.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Any more crouch taunt copy stories?

I'll tell you what, I'll play Ganon ALOT and see if they ever copy my over b to the edge over and over technique.

Also, I think they just copy your successful button inputs. For example if you KO someone by grabbing with DK, cargo, jump, upthrow, then uair. expect to see it mimicked if you do it enough.

Avsfreak18

Smash Cadet
No...

But they do hack the actual frickin' game.

That's what they did to me at least: Vidya proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s84hYcQqKGs

F*ckin Kirby... >=(

thats pretty freaky man

but back to the topic
i think the CPU learns your strategy so that it becomes better suited against you

ive noticed that i will have to mix up my moves every once and a while so the CPU doesnt own me

Top Bottom