• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does playing the older smash games affect your playstyle?

Ol-Jeb

Smash Apprentice
An ol' shack out in Antarctica, the last frontier.
Hi there friends, Ol' Jeb here.

Playing Brawl to get better is great and all, but sometimes my friends and I want to just relax and have some fun times. So we'll pick up Melee and play around a bit. Or if I'm visiting my folks, during downtime (I have an N64 there) I'll play the original. After playing both of those games taking into them my new knowledge of Brawl's competitive style I notice that how I play in Brawl has changed a bit.

For example:
Playing the original game has taught me to be far more aggressive in the air, or at least try to get off more relevant attacks and not be afraid to intercept as much. I've noticed that I'm getting better at doing just that.

Melee...well to be honest the only thing I've gained from Melee is more skill with Captain Falcon >_> no idea where it came from but after playing him in Melee he's far more viable for me in Brawl.

In any case, my question here is: Have any of you played the older games and come back to Brawl to see that how you approach different situations has changed?

Jonas

Smash Champion
I try to combo a lot more with Captain Falcon in Brawl after playing Melee extensively. I always lose when I play Captain Falcon in Brawl.

.Marik

is a social misfit
That's because Falcon ***** in Melee, guys.

He's bottom-tier in Brawl for a reason.

SZ2K

Smash Rookie
I hadn't touched Brawl in 6 months, and I had gone to Vegas with a friend for 5 days and when we would get home in the middle of the night we would just play Melee for hours. When I finally went to another Brawl tourney I found myself trying to wavedash in the first round (I hadn't had any warmups) and my playstyle in general lacked the things that separate an average Marth from a great Marth. Playing the older games really does twist up your playstyle

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
I hadn't touched Brawl in 6 months, and I had gone to Vegas with a friend for 5 days and when we would get home in the middle of the night we would just play Melee for hours. When I finally went to another Brawl tourney I found myself trying to wavedash in the first round (I hadn't had any warmups) and my playstyle in general lacked the things that separate an average Marth from a great Marth. Playing the older games really does twist up your playstyle
You can't expect to not play for 6 months and win in a tourney, regardless of what else you've been doing.

I play Brawl and Melee frequently enough to switch back and forth without trouble. I actually think it makes me better. I feel like I have a better understanding of what makes them different.

Jem.

Smash Master
i learned how to read much faster than the average player who started on brawl because of the several years of competitive melee i partook in. but if i keep switching from melee to brawl like at a national tournament it takes me a match or two to regrasp the physics of the game

Smash Lord
I do that too when I switch from melee.

I think that when you play brawl, a lot of times I find myself using a lot of airials that don't cancel and have a lot of lag. I play a lot of 64 too, so I hardly ever airdodge.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i stoped playing melee to progress my brawl game and that helped. but i know many people that play both games well .

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Playing Smash 64 extensively will make you forget that you can spot dodge and air dodge in both games.

Allied

Smash Master
i mostly play melee on the ocassion and barely play brawl but i can switch back and forth because they are 2 completely different games for me

Its like going for Call of duty -> Halo 3 (call of duty sucks btw)

inb4 call of duty nerd fan club

Coney

Smash Master
yes, it does

i played 64 a ton before i played brawl, and it made me grab a whole hell of a lot.

guess who i mainnn~

Jo0

Smash Cadet
i mostly play melee on the ocassion and barely play brawl but i can switch back and forth because they are 2 completely different games for me

Its like going for Call of duty -> Halo 3 (call of duty sucks btw)

inb4 call of duty nerd fan club
COD 3/4/5/6 are horrible. Cod 1/2 is where it's at.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Your reflexes will be much better if you play Melee.

Melee also makes Brawl ATs easier because your hands are probably much faster.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Personally, I think it does.
For example: This is a little different, but W/e.
I play B+ and Brawl. So sometimez after I play brawl + and then later I play brawl ....I'll try to combo people....with Snake (using his Grenades).
So yes....yes it does.

Each game is fundamentally different, so yeah, it will affect how you play in both. The biggest difference I would say is that since brawl allows you to customize controls and melee didn't, you can run into issues playing between both. Same with N64 simply due to how sideB attacks aren't included, spotdoding and airdoding arent' either.

I would say that if you can get by with the default control setting in brawl, there shouldn't be too much of an issue in N64, melee or brawl if you manage to stick to a single character in each game. As you progress you'll manage to play differently with each character by simply knowing you picked them. Trying to play falco in brawl is very different from his melee counterpart. So, picking different mains in each I think is benefical if you are trying to play all 3 at high levels. Then again, if you ever manage to play either of them at a high level your tech skill would be so good you might not be concerned with the differences and they won't effect you. Who knows?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I believe it does.
I was playing melee all night and when i went to brawl with my friends, my jiggly waz terrible xD
I was trying to wavedash nearly all the time, but instead, SH Air dodged.
I Used the B air too much because i thought it had its KOing power.
I used Rest on Fairly low %(20-30) Expecting a KO.
And worst of all, I kept thinking pound sent them up and over jiggly, like in melee.
That was terrible Brawl practice, but i was back Brawl oriented within the first couple matches...
But playing older versions of smash can HIGHLY affect your gameplay, especially if you used an Extremely Nerfed or Beefed Character...

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
I think using different characters in each game really helps. It means less time distinguising muscle memory between which game you're in (basicly the frame difference in attacks and brawls buffering). With that said though you can still use the same characters from multiple games(like using DK in every game) but it just MIGHT be a harder learning process. You just always have to be aware of the changes from game to game so you don't have situations like Lucas Perfected had.

I also thinks using different controls helps somewhat as well but that might just be my personal preference. I use R to jump in brawl, while in melee I've assigned R to be my wavedash/waveland button.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I play all three pretty regularly. In fact, I feel it makes me better. It's like learning more than one character -- it makes you better.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Like i said, Play different mains in each game xD
Or else you will try to play the same way with the same person in all three...
EX: Playing Falcon in Brawl and trying to moonwalk all the time because you main him in melee also....

Nobody wants that, find different mains in each unless you know how to adjust perfectly to the game
you are playing.
Like the statement i wrote above, i main jiggz in melee and third her in brawl.
Link main in Brawl, but not in melee.
You get it?
If you do want to main the same person in each, dont choose some severely Nerfed or Beefed Character.

EX: Captain Falcon from Melee to Brawl; Has one of the worst Nerfs in the game.

Ol-Jeb

Smash Apprentice
An ol' shack out in Antarctica, the last frontier.
Yeah, my mains in N64 and Melee are completely different (at least to me >_>) from my mains in brawl.

N64: Cpt. Falcon or Mario

Melee: Dr. Mario

Brawl: Dedede

playing the older games doesn't really affect how I approach any specific character (except for melee with falcon for some reason) but I have noticed a change in how I play overall.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Not really. I imagine playing melee will make you a better brawl player. It's like like living in 10x gravity then coming back to earth. Everything is easy; recovery, power shields, no l-canceling, more time to react to opponent.

I main different characters in each game.

N64: Cpt. Falcon
Melee: Marth/Shiek
Brawl: Pit/Metaknight

Apollo$

Smash Ace
Playing brawl made it easy to adjust easily back to Melee's physics, Washdashing and L-cancel was mad easy to pull off.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
A little. I just learn things from either watching vids or learning my characters the natural way. But aging did kinda make me smarter.

Banks

Smash Hero
i L-cancel aerials in brawl on reflex sometimes even though it is completely worthless and could potentially make me air dodge were i to do it too early

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
i L-cancel aerials in brawl on reflex sometimes even though it is completely worthless and could potentially make me air dodge were i to do it too early
Last night I played Brawl for the first time in awhile. I kept trying to L-Cancel aerials and it screwed me over a few times with random Side dodge or shield as i hit ground.

Zebadon

Smash Rookie
IMHO, Playing the older smash games gives you a better sense of what your doing in the newest smash. Like in Super Smash Brothers, their was no dodging....so samus ruled the game along side Mr. Game & Watch, and it was hard to place characters in a tier because they did not begin to show their full abilities until Melee came along and destroyed SSB. However, looking back you can really get a new play style be experiencing the older games....I am a hardcore falco player now, but when I still played SSB I mained link because he was awesome and their was really no way to beat him....even Captain Falcon sucked back then....but yes....Playing the older smash games DOES affect my play style :D

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
IMHO, Playing the older smash games gives you a better sense of what your doing in the newest smash. Like in Super Smash Brothers, their was no dodging....so samus ruled the game along side Mr. Game & Watch, and it was hard to place characters in a tier because they did not begin to show their full abilities until Melee came along and destroyed SSB. However, looking back you can really get a new play style be experiencing the older games....I am a hardcore falco player now, but when I still played SSB I mained link because he was awesome and their was really no way to beat him....even Captain Falcon sucked back then....but yes....Playing the older smash games DOES affect my play style :D

WTF is this. G&W wasn't in 64, Samus is arguably the worst character, Link is 2nd worse, and Falcon is 4th best. WTF are you talking about??? Seriously, this is like the worst post I've ever seen.

WTFA54

Smash Rookie
WTF is this. G&W wasn't is 64, Samus is arguably the worst character, Link is 2nd worse, and Falcon is 4th best. WTF are you talking about??? Seriously, this is like the worst post I've ever seen.
quoted for truth.

I actually found that after playing melee religiously for like three months and then finally finding my copy of brawl (left it at a friend's house who went out of town), my falco improved quite a bit.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I don't think I could pay you to be more clueless.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
don't come back to smashboards, surprised you haven't been banned just for this post.

drzillman

Smash Rookie
absolutly,

meelee is my forte but when learning brawl i cant use my boomerang like i used to, so i learned thebombs really well. then taking that back to melee steps up my gameplay. inversly when I play melee and switch back to brawl im trying to mid air dodge up or to the sie, well it just dont work. id dont feel plaing the original one helps my brawl skills becaue my prefered character has changed in almost every move since n64 to brawl.

but yes it deffinatly affects my gameplay when I play other versions for awhile

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Smash 64 I believe is the best to learn how to space aerials due to the no air dodge system and high risk/reward system.
Melee is the best I feel to get into competitive smash due to the older more well organized community and is good to learn tech skill.
Brawl is good due to the amount of people who play it. More people means more practice. It doesn't hurt either if wifi doesn't bother you too much.

brg

Smash Ace
Playing melee obviously make you better @ brawl.

However brawl makes you suck @ 64 and melee

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I actually really enjoyed reading this.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
my tech skill goes with how the character looks, so basically melee and brawl falcon I mixup a lot because they look so similar but 64 falcon looks totally different so I have no issues with that haha

Top Bottom