• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 does it cost money to go to tourneys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu24

Smash Cadet
does it cost money to go to tourneys???? ive heard this but didnt know if it was true

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
this MLG Columbus i spent 35$ on gas[i need to fill her up today], 15$ on food, 35$ entry fee, 50$ on the hoodie[optional], 20$ on parking

so like 155$ total

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I didn't spend a dime getting to MLG and playing and all the other stuff.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
does it cost money to go to tourneys???? ive heard this but didnt know if it was true
Nope, you are driven there for free, and provided free food....

Of course it costs money. I don't understand how someone could think it would be free. Unless it was in YOUR basement hosted by you. Even then, it'd probably end up costing you somehow.

link2702

Smash Champion
of course it costs money, what did you think the tourny organizers were gonna give the prize money to the winner out of their own pockets?

Of course it costs money.

First of all, personal expenses. You're gonna need gas money if you're driving there. If it's a long tourney, add hotel money to the list. Some people offer housing, too. Then add food money. You can't place on an empty stomach.

Second, the TO's expenses. They've usually gotta pay for a venue, and if they're super awesome, they pay to get food on the spot for the attendees.

Finally, the actual tourney expenses. You've pretty much always got to pay a venue fee, or entrance fee. This is to actually get you into the place. Second, match fees. People usually have to pay to enter their matches of choice, i.e., singles or doubles. All of this is charged so as to pay for the TO's venue expenses and to fill the prize pot.

Eh, Lil' B/SOVAman, you going to any tourneys this summer?

Jem.

Smash Master
Coming from Washington, I spent around $380 on my plane tickets 2 weeks before the event, then 35 on my brawl pass. pitched in $25 for hotel, spent around 40 for food/etc. Not too bad considering how late I bought my tickets, and that WA has had the longest flights to the first two events, and will occur again for Raleigh:p

Sharky

Smash Master
My expenses coming from Central NY:

gas: $35, $5 to get from syracuse to rochester (driver was feeling nice lol) and $30 from rochester to Ohio.

Hotel: about $28. I managed to score a deal with the hotel for a free night at a different place, because the hotel overbooked for Saturday night, so the total was $138 for two nights. I told everyone that they would be paying $15 thinking we'd have 9 people. However, one person decided friday night that they were staying with someone else so that knocked it down to 8 people, and I didn't feel like getting an extra two bucks from everyone. One person was nice enough to give me $20 to make up for the extra change to make it even. I still haven't gotten money from two people but I'm in regular contact with them so I'm not concerned about that.

MLG Pass: $35, I couldn't find a partner for doubles =(

Food: Maybe $20 lol, I only payed for food once on friday night (and that stromboli was delicious). Other than that I took FULL advantage of the free doritos/hot pockets/dr pepper provided by the venue. Oh yeah I also bought food on the way home but that's it lol.

Total: $118 coming from Syracuse, NY. Not too shabby. =D

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Let's see for Dallas it will be Nothing on gas, nothing on food, nothing on room, split parking so probably like 5 bucks i'm assuming it will be 20 dollars, and 35 for entry. I love living like a broke college student it really prepares you for life.

40 total.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
of course it costs money, what did you think the tourny organizers were gonna give the prize money to the winner out of their own pockets?
That's not unheard of... lol

Also what's up with the entry fee being so high? I don't know what the prize is though but that's one big pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom