• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone have any franchises they like but don't want them to get a character?

Dan

Smash Lord
Fortnite and Kingdom Hearts for me personally.

Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite games/franchises ever, but strip Sora of his Disney content and he sorta becomes a boring "anime swordsmen" just like anyone else.

Fortnite is a fun romp but the inclusion of Jonesy or whomever just seems like a boring waste imo... give it to someone more iconic like Master Chief.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, plenty probably do. A major one for me being the Henry Stickmin series. Don't get me wrong, the pop culture references and jokes are on point, and the games are pretty fun, but Henry's overall character and design which is just a stick figure just feels bland to me, It'd be like Game & Watch but even weirder, where at least Watch is major to Nintendo's long history, whereas Henry has no Nintendo history whatsoever, just bizarre and shocking. However, it would be sort of interesting to see what pop culture references they would have in his moveset, as they are pretty essential to his series, although they could go entirely original, but I'm not sure if that would represent his series all that well. Either way though, I'd rather him just not be in (not like he's very likely at all though.). I'm more picky now that there's only two slots remaining, which I feel would be extremely underwhelming if one of the last fighter's was a STICK FIGURE.

Conclusion, if you want him, cool. I'll just chill in the corner and just enjoy his games instead, while waiting for Crash, Spyro and Rayman, among (US) many others. :)
Mallow_Artwork_(Super_Mario_RPG_-_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars) (1).png
Mallow_Artwork_(Super_Mario_RPG_-_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars) (1).png
rsz_agumon_new_century (1).png
rsz_rayman_spirit_2.png
rsz_spyro_transparent_4.png
rsz_1spyro_transparent_2.png
geno!.png
genocrash.png

newgenoicon.png
newraymanicon.png
newspyroicon.png
quote6.png
quote2.png
trimmedmon2.png
trimmirobo2.png
Agumon (1).png
trimmirobo3.png
trimmedmon1.png
chara_7_rockman_00.png
chara_7_sonic_00.png

Last edited:

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
I think this thread might lead to unintended flame wars, but that's just me.
Yeah it might, but at the end of the day it's just a person's opinion, and you should at least try to respect it instead of starting a war because "They don't support Fortnite Jonesy!", but that's also just what I think.

Reactions: Dan

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Neptune from Neptunia

Neptunia Reverse ruined overall, so I let off steam in RTC thread. Still, I have soft spot on Neptunia. I played most of the games in the series. I translated light novel series based on this franchise. Neptunia hasn't earned what it takes to be in Smash. I wish it has something groundbreaking like Persona 5 to break through, but it does not. Neptune doesn't have unique stuff other than HDD transformation to set her apart from other swordsmen. Pyra/Mythra already took spot of anime sword wielding WOMAN. Purple Heart's sword looks pretty similar to their swords.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Fortnite and Kingdom Hearts for me personally.

Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite games/franchises ever, but strip Sora of his Disney content and he sorta becomes a boring "anime swordsmen" just like anyone else.

Fortnite is a fun romp but the inclusion of Jonesy or whomever just seems like a boring waste imo... give it to someone more iconic like Master Chief.
There are definitely games I really like that I don’t really want the main protagonist from. Kingdom Hearts is a great example. I don’t really like Sora much but I would love to see Ansem or Xemnas. Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games ever but Crono himself doesn’t really add much. Magus is my most wanted character though. Another example is Tales of Symphonia. That game was great but I don’t like Lloyd. I would love Sheena though. The only example I can think of where I really liked the game but don’t want a character is Super Mario RPG. I just used Mario, Peach, and Bowser so I never really cared much about Geno.

For me, it’s a lot more whether I like the character themselves than if I liked the game they were from. I’ve never played League of Legends but I’d rather have Nocturne, Kha’Zix or tons of other heroes before Sora or Lloyd.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I hate to say it but I kinda feel that way about Dead Rising. I honestly love those games, but I think a fatal frame rep is more called for at least until dead rising gets a game on the switch.... Unless they want to put my man Kenny Dermot in, then go ahead.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I dislike the idea of “not wanting characters”. As soon as any character gets into Smash, I accept that they’re a part of the roster immediately so that I don’t let any negative thoughts on them get to me when I fight them. As a tournament player, I have to accept that any character on the roster is just another matchup for me to learn, and I can’t think about how much I dislike Minecraft when I fight Steve. Because at the end of the day, the character my opponent is using doesn’t really matter. What matters is that I can’t think about things like “I don’t want Byleth in this game” and have to think more about “I need to learn the Byleth matchup”. This goes for any character added to Smash, every character that gets added is another opponent for me to learn.

With that said, for me, I don’t really play non-Nintendo games and think of “they should be added to Smash”. For example, I have been playing the Yakuza games lately and have been greatly enjoying them. If Kiryu joined Smash somehow, I would be excited for that, but it’s also not something that I’m really asking for. It’s one of those things that would hype me up if it happens, but it’s not really something I think about a ton or feel like I absolutely need. I feel similarly about characters like Crash Bandicoot and Conker. They would fit into Smash, and I would be more than happy to have them, but it’s not really something I’m asking for a lot. The only third party I really want in Smash right now is Phoenix Wright, because his games have been Nintendo exclusive for over 15 years and he’s one of my favorite characters of all time.

In my opinion, it’s more important for existing franchises in Smash to get “missing” reps that I feel like should have been in there a long time ago. I also really enjoy seeing long-time requested characters being added. For example, my most wanted character for years was King K. Rool. I wanted him because he just filled so many checkboxes, plus he was always one of my favorite Nintendo characters. I like heavyweight and villain characters, plus I like the underrepresented Donkey Kong series, which he also reps. King K. Rool felt like an organic choice to me, and I have been maining him since Ultimate’s launch. I also popped off at Ridley and Banjo, as I have been paying attention to their support over the years as well. Dixie Kong is one of my most wanted characters because she is an important character in the Donkey Kong franchise, and it feels like she should have been in the game years ago alongside King K. Rool. Other characters like Bandana Waddle Dee and Paper Mario would be cool to see too.

Overall, to answer the thread’s title directly, there are a lot of franchises I like, but I never really think about wanting a character from them in Snash unless they’re highly requested or first party. I just feel like the third parties that get added to Smash are too random. If you told me that games like Persona and Fatal Fury would get represented in Smash, I would have never believed you. I feel like it’s much easier to just go along for the ride and see what happens. After King K. Rool, I also don’t have any characters I really want in Smash. I have always felt like Smash is a celebration of Nintendo first and foremost. When I look at the current roster keeping that in mind, it’s almost perfect, but misses a handful of characters like Dixie Kong and Bandana Waddle Dee. In my opinion, I’d rather perfect the existing roster than focus on adding characters from new franchises, but Smash hasn’t really been going in that direction. Ultimate has been more focused on representing new Switch games and more third party franchises, which goes against the spirit of Smash speculation when it first began in my opinion.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, I find these kind of mindsets interesting, because I'm the opposite. Basically any game I like leads to "I want to see these guys in Smash." It basically just becomes the big crossover hangout place for all my gaming interests. I suppose the closest thing I have are indies like Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight, which would interfere with Reimu's chances.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, I find these kind of mindsets interesting, because I'm the opposite. Basically any game I like leads to "I want to see these guys in Smash." It basically just becomes the big crossover hangout place for all my gaming interests. I suppose the closest thing I have are indies like Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight, which would interfere with Reimu's chances.
Yeah, pretty similar for me.

too bad almost all the games I play are too obscure for anyone to care

UserKev

Smash Champion
While I love and grew up with Spyro, I don't think he has the aesthetic for Smash. Spyro is a character that really has the lingering Sony stench. Spyro would honestly be out of place in Smash, everything about him screams Sony.

For Sora, I actually don't want him with any Disney content, he'd work fine and still have that Kingdom Hearts magic without Disney.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Aiai from super monkey ball he has a fun which I played i know the franchise is successful but the idea of having him in smash sounds lame compared to many other SEGA characters

Takamaru I played his NES game while I do see the appeal of having a samurai i think of all retro choices he wouldn’t be as interesting as :ultrob: :ultgnw::ultduckhunt: there are more retro characters out there who will bring something very exciting to the table compared to him

Freddy from FNAF and Red from angry bird while the franchise grew very quickly and the games are fun and had a large fanbase like undertale I would prefer if other companies gets brought to smash that has larger legacy in gaming history such as Ubisoft or Tecmo or Bethesda or taito or hudson or Activision get in first

Dan

Smash Lord
I hate to say it but I kinda feel that way about Dead Rising. I honestly love those games, but I think a fatal frame rep is more called for at least until dead rising gets a game on the switch.... Unless they want to put my man Kenny Dermot in, then go ahead.
Man, Frank West would honestly be so bizarre and unexpected that I would love to see him. Cloud didn't blow my mind like it did other people's, Steve was not a surprise but Frank would be a true shocker cause he's not iconic enough to some degree. There will always be some level of predictability with the Smash choices.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Man, Frank West would honestly be so bizarre and unexpected that I would love to see him. Cloud didn't blow my mind like it did other people's, Steve was not a surprise but Frank would be a true shocker cause he's not iconic enough to some degree. There will always be some level of predictability with the Smash choices.
I just believe Smash should be more Nintendo based. Dead Rising hasn't been on Nintendo consoles and we got more highly demanded Capcom reps like Phoenix, Dante and Amaterasu. Don't get me wrong I love Frank. I wanted to main him in MvCU3 but I sucked and I've played all the Dead Risings but Dead Rising 2 and I would be happy if he did make it in Smash, but I feel like there would be a lot of disappointment from fans of Smash if he got in over other Capcom reps or Fatal Frame.

Dan

Smash Lord
I just believe Smash should be more Nintendo based. Dead Rising hasn't been on Nintendo consoles and we got more highly demanded Capcom reps like Phoenix, Dante and Amaterasu. Don't get me wrong I love Frank. I wanted to main him in MvCU3 but I sucked and I've played all the Dead Risings but Dead Rising 2 and I would be happy if he did make it in Smash, but I feel like there would be a lot of disappointment from fans of Smash if he got in over other Capcom reps or Fatal Frame.
Oh, there would be disappointment without question.

I used to believe in the Nintendo-based sentiment but Cloud threw that out the window. I like Cloud and FF7 but his inclusion sorta felt like pandering to me, but now it's clear Smash is about gaming and not specifically Nintendo. Not to get too off-topic, but I feel like Master Chief is the biggest character on the table in that regard.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
1618532404938.png

Dead Rising was on Nintendo console before...

That's not even mentioning Tatsunako vs Capcom courtesy of Megadoomer

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Portal. Would make for an awesome stage but a pretty boring fighter. Chell does admittedly have moveset potential-from portals to gels to random objects to turrets-I just wouldn’t be all for her.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I would like to add few more.

Subnautica - It would work well for great stage and spirit, but both protagonists don't have charming aesthetic or unique moveset

Little Nightmare - 6 and Mono don't have interesting moveset potential. I think stage would be pretty nit, but the playable characters would be underwhelming.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Danganronpa.

I love the Series, but I think it kinda peaked with V3, and it doesn't really make much sense for any of the Protagonists to be Playable, and Monokuma would work fine as a Mii Costume.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Danganronpa.

I love the Series, but I think it kinda peaked with V3, and it doesn't really make much sense for any of the Protagonists to be Playable, and Monokuma would work fine as a Mii Costume.
Something something Monokuma Junko render leak.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I feel like Portal is a series that would work a lot better with a stage and no characters. I'm not saying a moveset for Chell is impossible, but a standalone stage just seems like a better choice.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Halo. The games are great and I enjoy playing them with my buddies but I just do not want Master Chief in Smash.

Top Bottom