• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone have a Sakurai doll?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
everyone here criticizing Phanna is stupid. Phanna is one of the most dedicated smashers in the world, but that's not his point. "I blame the ***got that wanted a long hard singleplayer to satisfy him." guy, you missed the point. A 'long hard single player' wasn't the point, the point is that the game can be POINTLESSLY BROKEN AGAINST THE PLAYER. I DARE you to just TRY to get halfway through boss mode on Intense, and post a vid. You'll get slaughtered by moves that can kill in possibly a single hit. Better yet, go fight giant dark Diddy is SE, he can kill half the people in the game in a single hit.

THE GAME HAS STUPID AND POINTLESS ASPECTS

Firebert

Smash Ace
everyone here criticizing Phanna is stupid. Phanna is one of the most dedicated smashers in the world, but that's not his point. "I blame the ***got that wanted a long hard singleplayer to satisfy him." guy, you missed the point. A 'long hard single player' wasn't the point, the point is that the game can be POINTLESSLY BROKEN AGAINST THE PLAYER. I DARE you to just TRY to get halfway through boss mode on Intense, and post a vid. You'll get slaughtered by moves that can kill in possibly a single hit. Better yet, go fight giant dark Diddy is SE, he can kill half the people in the game in a single hit.

True that. Look especially at Tabuu. He has at least three on-hit kill moves.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I enjoyed the SSE with my brother, really. It wasn't bad at all.

Now, I assume that you are so mad because the harder challenges frustrate you too much. Try to take some breaks from time to time?

I might get as mad as you when I start with the hardest challenges, but meh. I'm not really that interested. Multiplayer is as good as it can get though. :p

Tripping is funny

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
If anyone here has played Kirby Super Star, you will notice a ridiculous amount of similarity between the two games. The exploding block chains, the use of item side doors, the seasons mechanic, the 2P start function, the use of elevators, the way the screen stops scrolling until you defeat a certain number of enemies, the mine carts and launchers, etcetera. I could keep going on, but you get the point. This formula worked with KSS, and I do believe it had potential for SSBB. However, I think there are a few major flaws in its execution that make it 'unfun' most of the time.

-The camera is horrible. Its movement doesn't feel fluid, and it is far too zoomed in, except for the parts where it acts like a SSBB stage. In KSS, playing second-player was easy.
-The game forces too many enemies on the screen at once. I don't like fighting hordes usually- it's just so much busywork. Games work best at a difficulty that requires constant focus, strategy, and tactics to succeed, and reward you for doing so. Unfortunately, with so many enemies, you're basically sure to take your hits no matter what you do.
-There's no variety in the way each level plays out. Sure, the background and enemies change, but mostly, it's 'run to the left/right and kill dudes on the way until you get to the end.' Why not throw in a target practice or race to the finish stage every so often?
-Enemies are recycled too often, meaning they seem to lose any sense of 'locality' or theme. Also, makes it more repetitive.

Just some of the first things that come to mind. Basically, it seems like Sakurai tried to apply a tried and true system, but didn't know what to do when things didn't work out as planned. Really, though, there's no excuse. With as many delays as they had, they had plenty of time to realize that they were building a game that just wasn't fun to play. However, I did like the sticker mechanic (despite being completely not worth the time required to do it right) and the cutscenes.

Burumage

Smash Cadet
I like the one player actually, but I have not finished everything yet. If there is not a good reward for completing all the challenges, I suppose thats a worthy complaint. there should atleast be a cool final stage or something cool for completing the entire game.

Thino

Smash Master
and the great maze is a carbon copy of kirby amazing mirror the way unknown areas are placed on the map ,and shadown clones/boss spot on the map being suggestive about which door take to reach which part,
teleporting,
saving,
hell sakurai , our sse wasnt supposed to be some rehashed insttallment or your previous kirby games

Firebert

Smash Ace
and the great maze is a carbon copy of kirby amazing mirror the way unknown areas are placed on the map ,and shadown clones/boss spot on the map being suggestive about which door take to reach which part,
teleporting,
saving,
hell sakurai , our sse wasnt supposed to be some rehashed insttallment or your previous kirby games
But it's his masterpiece!
It is very repetitive that he did the same thing again.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I used SSE to get all the characters. Haven't touched it since. Since I did that first, I was rewarded a decent amount of gratuity. Anyhow, the Maze was stupid and was obviously added to add time to the mode. The enemies came in hordes and are basically button mashing fests, as well as there being too few and recycled too often.

I was also disappointed with the lack of bosses from games. We got a mother, pokemon, mario, and metroid boss. I was hoping for some more. Eggman would've fit in perfectly. Nope. Perhaps some NPC K. Rool ambush? Nope. Black Knight, Metal Gear, or Blood Falcon? Nope, nope, and nope. We got Duon and that other guy I can't remember the name of who's equally forgettable. LAME.

Props on Tabuu though, he was a pretty epic battle and was a really cool original boss. Boo at Sonic being thrown in at the end though.

While I'm not as frustrated with it as you, I also haven't tried to collect every trophy yet. :p

It was okay, but it was definitely NOT the amazing element that we were all led to believed due to Sakurai's Dojo hype machine.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
The single player fails and is boring. I love the multi player. If i ever meet sakuraii i wouldn't go as far as to punch him but probably slap him in the back of the head then run giggling.

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't go through all the turning bosses into trophies bull, that's for people that ENJOY frustration (like breeding a gold Chocobo and getting all the master materia in FF7.) However, I played through SSE on normal with my friend and we had a lot of fun.

So there.

If you don't like single player in a multiplayer game, then play single player in a single player game.

Go get Kingdom Hearts, for God's Sake.

This thread fails.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As for the SSE, I was a bit disappointed in it, it was good, but it was not amazing. Allow myself to elaborate, the SSE is to Kirby Super Star as Super Mario Sunshine is to Super Mario Bros. 3. Both are solid and good games, however, they lack the brilliance and greatness of the other game I mentioned in the comparison. It also does not help that I beaten KSS 100% for the 100th (I did not beat it a 100 times, but obviously I have beaten a lot) time a week prior to playing the SSE.

Most people say the problem with it being too short. However, Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, and Sin & Punishment are all really short games that can be beaten in less than two hours, however, they are redeemed by their level design, gameplay, soundtrack (especially in the case of Super Metroid), and boss fights. While, the SSE has good graphics and great cutscenes, I found the gameplay uninspired even for a Kirby-based Smash Bros. platformer.

It is not doubt a massive improvement over Melee's Adventure Mode, however, as a stand alone game, which Sakurai was hyping it up to be, the taste of it is quite flat. There are only a few boss fights (seven), about half of them are forgettable.
The enemy design for many of the enemies are also downright creepy, and most of them look like they were ripped straight from Kingdom Hearts, which is not a good thing. I would have preferred if the enemies were of enemies from Nintendo series, or based off of enemies from Nintendo series. Many of the enemies are also quite frustrating to fight, as opposed to being both fun and a challenge (see the Metroid Prime series on how this is done).

Also, on the subject of enemies, I don't like how I have play "Pokemon" in order to get a trophy of the enemies and bosses in the game. The trophy bases take a couple of second to chuck and most of the time some enemy you already have alway gets hit with it, not to mention the enemy most be nearly dead in order for the trophy base to work. It also does not help that trophy bases materialize very rarily.

As for the level design, it is quite solid, and for people who have not played Sakurai's finer works or the 2-D Marios or the Genesis/Mega Drive Sonics, it should be good enough for them to declare it to be the best 2-D platformer they ever played. However, I find myself hardpressed to remember a stage. The key to many successful platfomers is to have varying gameplay and make as many stages as possible memorable. Unfortunately, in the SSE there were only two or three levels that I could say were memorable, and even then those stages only lasted five minutes at most. Perhaps, I am simply spoiled from having played some of the 2-D platformers ever.

Also, don't get me started on the plot. The plot was obviously the biggest failure of the SSE. Why oh why did they have to hire the plot writer for FFVII and Kingdom Hearts? I bet even Sakurai himself could have written a better plot for the game's Adventure Mode. The SSE is a textbook example on why it is a bad idea to make an "epic" game with solely silent protagonists and antagonists. Sakurai said that character's pasts and personal torments would play an important role in the plot, yet that never happened. Tabuu suffers from Time Devorer Syndrome, which means he an antagonist who does not rear his head until the last hour of gameplay and there is also no explanation or a convoluted one as to why he even shows up (Necron from FFIX and Andross in SFA are also examples of this). Also, I think too much prominence was given to Kirby characters. Although I have not completed the game yet, I have seen the ending, and all I have to say is, what ending?

Right now, I am in the Great Maze, and let me tell you this yet another fine example of bad game design. Revisiting all the levels in a maze-like structure to elongate the length of the game, just reeks of the Triforce Fetch Quest at the end of the Wind Waker, perhaps even worse. Not only that, you need to find and fight almost every character in the game as well as almost every boss with the exception of Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Tabuu. I don't think the development team thought the final level through, and if there were indeed people thinking that it was a good idea, they should probably be hit over the head with a shovel.

Overall, I give the SSE a 7/10 or maybe even a 7.5/10. It is a solid platforming experience, but by no means comparable with even with weaker Kirby titles such as Kirby's Dream Land 3 (which I in the minority and think is a great title and perhaps a masterpiece).

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
OP: So the Events aren't fun? I think they are.

I guess singer player's not fun if you don't like being challenged. I bet you're the kind of person who gets mad at Coin Launcher.

EDIT: @ ChronoBound

"Sakurai said that character's pasts and personal torments would play an important role in the plot, yet that never happened."

Hey, you're right. No wonder why I feel like something's missing! It wasn't like that at all.

Yeah, 7/10 sounds about right for the SSE itself.

(Also, I loved Kirby's Dreamland 3. It was my first Kirby game, and it's way underrated. I used to like it more than KSS, but now I like them equally. Still, I wish KDL3 influenced more future games in the series.)

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
OP: So the Events aren't fun? I think they are.

I guess singer player's not fun if you don't like being challenged. I bet you're the kind of person who gets mad at Coin Launcher.
Hmmm? The events were fun. Coin launcher is fun. 100% completion of single player, is not. I'm at 258/258 songs, 700/700 stickers, 100% intense SSE, 127/128 challenges (with all 5 golden hammers untouched), and 543/544 trophies. You aren't anywhere even close, so don't act like you are. Sadly, getting where I am was a waste, not even to be made up with by smirking at how worse off people like you are. You're confusing overcoming an engaging challenge to achieve awards for which you are proud, with the single player of Brawl.

quatripain

Smash Journeyman
I agree.

Although frankly, I prefer the "fly Sakurai to the Empire State Building, then shove him off the top shouting 'YOU MUST RECOVER!' " approach, but hey.

It's all good.
you forgot"wheres your landmaster to save you now?did geno and k rool steal it?wait your to ******** to put them in!

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm? The events were fun. Coin launcher is fun. 100% completion of single player, is not. I'm at 258/258 songs, 700/700 stickers, 100% intense SSE, 127/128 challenges (with all 5 golden hammers untouched), and 543/544 trophies. You aren't anywhere even close, so don't act like you are. Sadly, getting where I am was a waste, not even to be made up with by smirking at how worse off people like you are. You're confusing overcoming an engaging challenge to achieve awards for which you are proud, with the single player of Brawl.
100% completion of anything is never fun!
Because it's hard!
But if you like hard stuff I guess it is fun! I guess you don't like hard stuff. Or maybe you do, to have unlocked so much already.

And I never said I was anywhere near it. I'm not even trying. I don't even have all the characters yet. I have years to finish the thing 100%, if I so choose. I've had the game for two weeks. I don't want to completely finish it now, or even half finish it. I'm surprised I've broken open so many of those blue and red boxes already. And I certainly never cleared out Melee.

And I think you're just coming to the harsh realization that only you can feel proud about 100% completion, and nobody else for you. Nobody cares if you unlock everything, or how you feel about the process. That's the way things are. Waste, not waste, whatever the turnout, that was your sole path.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Because it's hard!
But if you like hard stuff I guess it is fun! I guess you don't like hard stuff. Or maybe you do, to have unlocked so much already.
Not entirely true, I found accomplishing Pokemon Blue to be fun. I was able to catch all 151 of them, got all of them to the level where they all had their best moves, got my top 6 to lvl 100, everything else but finding the **** truck since you can't get in that area unless you don't let the boat leave, and I didn't find out about it at first...

The Golden Suns I also did everything, and LoZ:OoT I did everything but get all 100 Gold Skullutas, I got like 61. Some games are fun to do the side missions, some aren't. It's how they are presented and what reward you get for doing so.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman

Calm down tiger, I know what he's talking about. It's almost as if the game was never meant to be completed on Intense. It could be do-able with WDing and LCancelling, but without them, it is rather difficult to pull it off.

I'm just pissed off at the ***got who wanted a long hair single player because it took 2 years of development time which could have been spent on refining the games physics engine in a more positive way.

Lets face it, I think people would have much rather had more characters and stages rather than a bland SSE...

Props on Phanna for nearly completing the game 100%

Cheezball

Smash Ace
Hey phanna, did you miss my other post? It should solve your problem, it is on the first page.

1. Get a punching bag. (If you have 1, go straight to step 2)
2. Print out a picture of Sakurai's head.
3. Place the picture on the punching bag.
4. Beat the **** out of it.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
agreeeeed! i had my brother beat the subspace for me because it sucked so hard. this thread opener and chrono's post should be hand delivered to sakurai himself. honestly sakurai, why fix something that isnt broken.

EDIT: at cheeseball, quit beating a dead horse. seriously, its ugly.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
Because it's hard!
That is not true at all. 100% completion can easily be fun, it just depends how well game is made. Things can be hard in either good or bad way you know. And sadly in case of Brawl they're usually in bad way.

Brawl's "challenges" don't challenge you in a fair or good way. Vast majority of them just test your patience (again, in a bad way) rather than skill. Patience is virtue, yes, but no one should be forced to play same freaking things with little no variation at all 35 times to unlock something. And when you have to do this eight (or even more?) times in total, it just shows how uncreative game makers can be. Boss trophies phanna pointed out have the same problem. Not very hard to get, you just need a lot of patience and luck. Luck here though isn't a good sign of challenge. What's even worse, you won't get any kind of satisfaction out of beating bad challenges.

To thread's original point, yes, I'd like to have of those Sakurai dolls too. I too am really, really disappointed with Brawl's much hyped "better" single player. I just can't understand how they managed to tone down everything apart from adventure mode. Unlike many others though I liked SSE very much, even with its weaknesses. I've played it trough twice, once in Japanese version (using hard) just for pure fun since I had unlocked everything important already and again in US version (using intense this time) to unlock everything and it was still mostly fun.

Too bad SSE's goodness won't remove the fact that almost everything else in single player sucks compared to Melee. I hate how they managed to take all fun and diversity out of classic, all-star and target tests. I seriously have more fun playing solitaire or minesweeper than those now (only on Windows XP and older though since changes to Vista versions suck just as much as changes from Melee to Brawl). Events aren't that great either, way too many pointless someone/some vs someone/some matches where characters and levels or even themes aren't related to each other in any way. More uniqueness would have been appreciated.

Brawl's single player is just lackluster, maybe even more so than in Melee, and that if something sucks after all this waiting. Those who say that we should be playing multiplayer like this game is meant to be played, well... Some of us just like to play single player too sometimes and seeing how much potential Smash has overall, it just pisses you off how little effort they used for it in the end. Especially after all those promises and developing time they had for this game.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I agree, 100% completion can be fun sometimes. There are games I've wanted to complete 100%, and a few I actually have. (Other times I'm just lazy.)
Not so much in games like Smash.

Sakurai said that he included Intense mode "for the curious". Of course, if you're not "curious" you'll never be able to get that one trophy or whatever else you unlock using Intense modes. But that doesn't bother me so much personally (since I don't need to have everything unlocked 100%, let alone within two weeks). You just have to bite the bullet if you actually want all the content.

I guess what I said earlier is also influenced by personally never having been satisfied by any such hard challenges that have been in games the same way they seem to be in Brawl--that is, repetitive accomplishments to achieve one thing.

I wanna hear suggestions on what may have been done better about these failed challenges (details, please). I want to hear your creativity! Personally, I still want to hug Sakurai. That's for completely different reasons, though.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
As for the SSE, I was a bit disappointed in it, it was good, but it was not amazing. Allow myself to elaborate, the SSE is to Kirby Super Star as Super Mario Sunshine is to Super Mario Bros. 3. Both are solid and good games, however, they lack the brilliance and greatness of the other game I mentioned in the comparison. It also does not help that I beaten KSS 100% for the 100th (I did not beat it a 100 times, but obviously I have beaten a lot) time a week prior to playing the SSE.

Most people say the problem with it being too short. However, Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, and Sin & Punishment are all really short games that can be beaten in less than two hours, however, they are redeemed by their level design, gameplay, soundtrack (especially in the case of Super Metroid), and boss fights. While, the SSE has good graphics and great cutscenes, I found the gameplay uninspired even for a Kirby-based Smash Bros. platformer.

It is not doubt a massive improvement over Melee's Adventure Mode, however, as a stand alone game, which Sakurai was hyping it up to be, the taste of it is quite flat. There are only a few boss fights (seven), about half of them are forgettable.
The enemy design for many of the enemies are also downright creepy, and most of them look like they were ripped straight from Kingdom Hearts, which is not a good thing. I would have preferred if the enemies were of enemies from Nintendo series, or based off of enemies from Nintendo series. Many of the enemies are also quite frustrating to fight, as opposed to being both fun and a challenge (see the Metroid Prime series on how this is done).

Also, on the subject of enemies, I don't like how I have play "Pokemon" in order to get a trophy of the enemies and bosses in the game. The trophy bases take a couple of second to chuck and most of the time some enemy you already have alway gets hit with it, not to mention the enemy most be nearly dead in order for the trophy base to work. It also does not help that trophy bases materialize very rarily.

As for the level design, it is quite solid, and for people who have not played Sakurai's finer works or the 2-D Marios or the Genesis/Mega Drive Sonics, it should be good enough for them to declare it to be the best 2-D platformer they ever played. However, I find myself hardpressed to remember a stage. The key to many successful platfomers is to have varying gameplay and make as many stages as possible memorable. Unfortunately, in the SSE there were only two or three levels that I could say were memorable, and even then those stages only lasted five minutes at most. Perhaps, I am simply spoiled from having played some of the 2-D platformers ever.

Also, don't get me started on the plot. The plot was obviously the biggest failure of the SSE. Why oh why did they have to hire the plot writer for FFVII and Kingdom Hearts? I bet even Sakurai himself could have written a better plot for the game's Adventure Mode. The SSE is a textbook example on why it is a bad idea to make an "epic" game with solely silent protagonists and antagonists. Sakurai said that character's pasts and personal torments would play an important role in the plot, yet that never happened. Tabuu suffers from Time Devorer Syndrome, which means he an antagonist who does not rear his head until the last hour of gameplay and there is also no explanation or a convoluted one as to why he even shows up (Necron from FFIX and Andross in SFA are also examples of this). Also, I think too much prominence was given to Kirby characters. Although I have not completed the game yet, I have seen the ending, and all I have to say is, what ending?

Right now, I am in the Great Maze, and let me tell you this yet another fine example of bad game design. Revisiting all the levels in a maze-like structure to elongate the length of the game, just reeks of the Triforce Fetch Quest at the end of the Wind Waker, perhaps even worse. Not only that, you need to find and fight almost every character in the game as well as almost every boss with the exception of Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Tabuu. I don't think the development team thought the final level through, and if there were indeed people thinking that it was a good idea, they should probably be hit over the head with a shovel.

Overall, I give the SSE a 7/10 or maybe even a 7.5/10. It is a solid platforming experience, but by no means comparable with even with weaker Kirby titles such as Kirby's Dream Land 3 (which I in the minority and think is a great title and perhaps a masterpiece).
Those are some strong opinions there ChronoBound. But.....for the most part, I'd agree. I think the levels were designed well, I wouldn't be able to tell someone how to make it better. I guess add more, and make the levels more diverse.

The story wasn't too bad up until the subspace. There it's a big "WTF is this? Where are my cool cutscenes?" The end game is awful.

It makes me wonder how your idea will turn out. (Also, you should reply to my PM).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Those are some strong opinions there ChronoBound. But.....for the most part, I'd agree. I think the levels were designed well, I wouldn't be able to tell someone how to make it better. I guess add more, and make the levels more diverse.

The story wasn't too bad up until the subspace. There it's a big "WTF is this? Where are my cool cutscenes?" The end game is awful.

It makes me wonder how your idea will turn out. (Also, you should reply to my PM).
You sent me a PM? I never got it, please resend it.

Also, yeah I guess a went a little overboard with my review of the SSE. However, the rest of Brawl is great (save Masterpieces, what a useless feature).

Ryven

Smash Cadet
Subspace was hard enough on Intense to warrant doing it with no stickers, just to say I did. That's something. Smash as a platformer was frustrating, though... "don't get knocked off" as the player death rule when your enemies not only are hard to knock around, but barely take hitstun and have loads of health, is totally wonky.

Really, I never want to touch SSE again. Ever. And I know I'm going to, because I'm going to have to get all the freaking trophies. I can't play this game for the next 5-10 years with little red spaces staring at me in the challenges screen.

100-Man Brawl (or is it 15-Minute Brawl? whichever) with all characters is one of the ones that will frustrate me. 100-Man Brawl isn't hard. It was moderately enjoyable, like, once. But 35 times?

Golden hammers are taunts. "If you don't want to do it, you can unlock it anyway! But you'll have wimped out; everyone will be able to tell you used one!"

Boss Battles is still interesting, actually. I'm kind of big on arcade-style, don't-get-hit stuff, which is what Boss Battles on Intense is. Sadly, most of the fights aren't very memorable, and Tabuu isn't even as hard as he is in SSE (reportedly; I haven't gotten there in Boss Battles yet; I think I've gotten to seven or eight bosses before dying). Watching a vid of a Metaknight clearing it with no damage was really impressive.

Also, the events were nice.

I wish Masterpieces had included full games. I would totally use it then.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
SSE was fun to finish with a friend. The cutscenes were worth watching but I didn't see a lot of the things that Sakurai promised us for the mode. Considering we can assume SSE took up a lot of development time, most of us have a reason to be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I finished SEE (Not on 100%) but I don't plan on touching it again unless I'm bored or another friend wants to finish with me.

Events were too easy. I remember struggling on some of the events in Melee. I finished all 41 solo events in a single sitting; AND DIDN'T EVEN UNLOCK ANYTHING. I haven't bothered with the co-op events because I just don't care.

Most, if not all, of the challenges are just a test of patience was someone said earlier. There's no satisfaction at all in finishing something only to receive a terrible reward. Sakurai lost focus on what Melee the best-selling game on the Gamecube; its multiplayer. SSE was a nice addition but it isn't why I bought Brawl.

I'd rant about other things, but this is solely for Single Player, so I'll leave it at that.

antimatter

Smash Lord
Events were too easy. I remember struggling on some of the events in Melee. I finished all 41 solo events in a single sitting; AND DIDN'T EVEN UNLOCK ANYTHING. I haven't bothered with the co-op events because I just don't care.
you should get some music by doing certain events on hard mode.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
you should get some music by doing certain events on hard mode.
I meant like Event 41. I've gone back and finished them all on Hard and gotten the music from them, and that was satisfying since a lot of them were really good pieces. So I'll throw Sakurai a bone there.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You sent me a PM? I never got it, please resend it.
OK, that explains it. I was wondering why I never got a reply.

While I'm here, I'd like to outlay my biggest beefs with Brawl

5)Items:I love a lot of the new items in the game. The only problem is I think they gimped the system. Now, High is standard, not Medium. It feels like Med. is now low and Low is Very low. It's also a bummer as some items, like Pokeballs and Assist Trophies appear in small amounts. Not to mention the amount of items you have at one time is so low. They had so many awesome items and you don't get to enjoy them all.
4)100 Man Brawl: In Melee, 100 man Melee was awesome. It was a survival test to beat out 100 people. They may have been weak but they were many and kept coming. In Brawl, they made some improvements to the system, but 100 man really suffered. It's easy to KO the first 75, but once you get to 25, they realize that they out number you and start beating you down. Now it's not really a survival test as you'll just get beat down at the last 25 regardless of how well you did on the other 75. It really defeats the purpose and makes the mode a lot less fun to play. Thus, making the challange very annoying
3)The Great Maze:At first, it was awesome. A Metroid-esqu level with all your favorite Nintendo stars awesome. The, the second time though, it loses it's appeal. First, you realize it's tedium. Your just fighting all of your characters again with the occasional boss battle. But the worst part is that all it is are levels you've already played in a maze format. See, I love the concept, but it's just laziness. If it was a whole new world with a better objective, it would have been awesome. But instead, it's just a way to tack on another 2 hours
2)Online:I'm not made at the 2 min only. I'm not mad at no voice chat. I'm not even mad about friend codes. I'm mad about the lag. It's old Nintendo. Fix the lag. Smash is a great game, and online sweetens the deal, but how can that be with such bad lag. Home Run contest isn't even playable. But, in some ways I can forgive them for it becuase of the title. But Mario Kart Wii is around the corner. If it offers lag free game play with 12 people connected and items and zany stages, then Smash has no excuse
1)The Subspace Emissary: Now don't get me wrong,. I loved it, but looking back, it could have been so much better. For starters, it would have been nice if a lot of the characters weren't pushed to the side. Mario and his crew were used in almost every level. Why bother with the other guys. And at the same time, we get Olimar and falcon and have to wait forever to use them again. Why wasn't there another level with Marth's team after Meta-Knight left. Also, where are the Nintendo enemies? Is it too hard to ask for New Age Retro Hippie, Waddle Dees, or some Zelda eneimies (there were some in melee). But lastly,. the story. For one (SPOILERS) the ending drops off. Up until then, it was great. But the ending is pretty much "World saved, roll credits". What about the Nintendo characters after. How do they get out of the subspace. Also, what happened in that entire story?

whoady4shoady

Smash Apprentice
Single player is crap. Deal with it. Game is meant to be played with friends. That is like buying a Socom game and being angry cause the single player sucks. That makes a lot of sense.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I played SSE through once on my own on the easiest difficulty. I enjoyed it.

I played it through again on my friend's Wii as their partner on a higher difficulty. I enjoyed it.

I plan to play through it again to get the cutscenes I missed. I will do it on a harder difficulty and enjoy it.

If you haven't figured it out by now, overall, I liked the SSE mode. It was a nice upgrade from Melee's Adventure mode, I think the story was actually pretty good, even if it did have a bit of a fanfic vibe to it (although that's probably unavoidable when it comes to crossover stories in general...), and I fully believe that adding dialogue would have ruined part of its charm. I'll admit that it's not perfect... much like many FE and SRT games, some characters suffer from having too little availability (playtime) before entering the final area (in this case, Subspace), and I agree with the fact enemies get repetative after a while, but that's not enough to make me stop liking it.

...Just thought I'd toss in my opinion since everyone else was doing the same.

Top Bottom