• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Melee will last the next 5 years?

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
I sure as hell hope so. I'm training so hard right now so I can be a pro one day. lol.

What do you think?

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
It's not going to stay mainstream but there will be plenty of people who will still play it competively and religiously the way plenty of people still play 64

ADHD

Smash Hero
We will have the "melee boomers" where all the brawl players come back from the brawl vs melee debate war and inspire other newbs to start playing melee. Ppl need to realize that there is a game already made for them that they already love and cannot get that love from brawl.

woah42

Smash Cadet
We will have the "melee boomers" where all the brawl players come back from the brawl vs melee debate war and inspire other newbs to start playing melee. Ppl need to realize that there is a game already made for them that they already love and cannot get that love from brawl.
I agree 100%.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I dont think Brawl is going to last very long, its run wont be nearly as long as Melees. I also think people will still be playing Melee in 5 years, I will. Sakurai f*cked up hardcore when he made brawl with the intention of making a game that would be played years and years after it was made. On the other hand he already made a game like that Melee.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
Of course! If SSB64 can last this long, Melee will last even longer than SSB64 ever will! But i like brawl best!

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Being born at the wrong time sucks. -.-

Melee's one of my favorite things to do, but I've been restricted from the main competitive scene thus far. I'll just go back to running noob tourneys at school...with Brawl. ;_;

P-Wubbs

Smash Apprentice
Melee was such a vast improvement over 64 that it had instant appeal. I think that is why Brawl is getting hit with resistance is because the "improvements" didn't seem to help it put an edge over Melee. I think Melee will fall out, eventually, but here's to hoping that it has at least another good run in 08!

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
hell yeah!!

**** brawl!!!

make the transition already. melee for life, tell everyone lolol.

really its just a matter of time before all the scrubs realize brawl sucks soo dam much

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Melee was such a vast improvement over 64 that it had instant appeal. I think that is why Brawl is getting hit with resistance is because the "improvements" didn't seem to help it put an edge over Melee. I think Melee will fall out, eventually, but here's to hoping that it has at least another good run in 08!
What improvements?!?! Brawl DE-EVOLVED from Melee. If Brawl was just Melee with improved physics and moar stuff, it'd be GotC (Game of the Century). However, its just more crap with a crappier physics engine, so it sucks.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I hope Melee will last the next five years...I have to play both games to get my fix now.

Brawl was tailor-made for my fighting style; I like to play strategically instead of relying on pure speed. However, Brawl also flipped me an eight-story bird by removing l-canceling, fast-falling, and hitstun, cramping any combos I could have thought up. Then, Brawl induced massive butthurt across the globe by eliminating HITSTUN. Absolutely horrible move there, Sakurai.

I still play Brawl way more, but every now and then I have to pop Melee in and get the nostalgia going. Jiggs just isn't the same in Brawl...

If SSB64 can maintain an underground following, Melee should be able to hang in there, seeing as it's way more competitive-oriented. Maybe it can even steal people from the Brawl tourney scene (yes, that is an oxymoron to an extent).

leeper

Smash Rookie
I hope so and if Melee really is the more technical game (there may be some stuff found in brawl; it is a bit early yet) then of course it will remain in tourney flow...

I hope this back-lash means that the next installment of smash will be more like melee though...

Then again Brawl is not out of the window of patching - MAYBE they can make a patch to remove tripping and add a couple of things back in...

Some people would return to melee to play as one of the four who didn't make it into brawl, (though three are actually clones)
Pichu
Metwo
Roy
and
Doc
who knows.
what about those who don't have a wii?
Where I live, brawl is still not out yet, but i still got melee as a "preparation"

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
i really want people to play melee, because mele is such a nice game man, y cant it be like marvel vs capcom 2?

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
why is everybody saying "**** brawl" i find it to be better than Melee, of course, i still love my Melee game, but i just prefer brawl better. Plus even if it "was not better" its still a great game!

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
why is everybody saying "**** brawl" i find it to be better than Melee, of course, i still love my Melee game, but i just prefer brawl better. Plus even if it "was not better" its still a great game!
Not "great" for competition.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Brawl will not last as a competitive game. It was created with intent to be the opposite of a competitive game. The base of the gameplay is not inherently suited for a lasting competitive environment. Melee will more than certainly make a comeback, and it will either return to the norm or the entire scene will die because of the failure that is Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

JFox

Smash Hero
I think that melee will inevitably die, and heres why...

With the interest in brawl, the amount of players at the beginning level will begin to drop rapidly. Eventually, as players get older, they will grow tired of the game/get a real life. Debate it all you want, but look at all the older players that have dropped out. So without the young crowd to continue it, there won't be much of anyone left in a few years.

Also, as the metagame of brawl develops, people who think brawl is boring (like me) may end up taking interest in brawl after a while, taking away the chance that melee will come back.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Hey! I said it first guys!
Your combo vid is effin awesome!!!

I think that melee will inevitably die, and heres why...

With the interest in brawl, the amount of players at the beginning level will begin to drop rapidly. Eventually, as players get older, they will grow tired of the game/get a real life. Debate it all you want, but look at all the older players that have dropped out. So without the young crowd to continue it, there won't be much of anyone left in a few years.

Also, as the metagame of brawl develops, people who think brawl is boring (like me) may end up taking interest in brawl after a while, taking away the chance that melee will come back.
As much as I hate to say it. You're right.

I got 2 of my friends to play Melee and they are learning the AT's. I'll try to get as many new people into Melee and host as many tournaments. Let's all keep doing this. Let's keep Melee alive.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
You're goin as far as to sick Sakurai on us? He'd rather take a blow to the face than to fight back, he believes everyone should be a winner.

Jun.

Smash Lord
You're goin as far as to sick Sakurai on us? He'd rather take a blow to the face than to fight back, he believes everyone should be a winner.
brawl in real life

Confederate South wins

Nazis win

Soviets win

world over

brawl = apocalypse

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
The analogy between Melee being the better game than Brawl is similar to XP vs Vista. Vista sucks, so people go back to XP :p (which I have done)

Top Bottom