• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you prefer light or heavy characters?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
basing it off my Melee top 5, mostly middleweight/light characters. I'm not really that good with heavy or fastfallers (except for Ganon and Cap.)

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Heavy characters, I main D3 and I'm interested in playing Donkey Kong and Bowser is always fun to play as.

TenaciousC

Smash Rookie
I usually stick with the lighter characters,
I main Toon Link,
But I second Wario, which is a heavy character.
I just like the feel of light characters a hell of a lot more than heavy ones

'V'

Smash Lord
I feel like I can control lighter characters more. I guess that's because I've been maining one for years, but that's beside the point.

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
I definitely prefer the light characters because it's easier to move around more than the heavier characters.

EclipseKirby

Smash Cadet
It doesn't seem to matter as much as it used too. There are now heavy characters with good air mobility, good recovery, and/or have speed. And vise-versa has existed already. Doesn't seem like being light or heavy implies what it used to.

But my characters are light.

NatP

Smash Ace
I main g&w and my secondary is DK. Other characters I enjoy using are Ganondorf and Bowser. Well, I like almost all heavys, but I main the 2nd lightest character in the game. Soooo yeah.

Aceboyo

Smash Rookie
i prefer light to move around quicker like lucario or Toon Link or Sonic ( my mains )

Rizen

Smash Legend
Heavy. It feels good to really smack the little fly who's been buzzing around you.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
The only really light character I use is Fox and the only heavy character that I play most with is Wolf if he is a heavy character....He acts like one.
But really I perfer medweights such as Lucario.

momaspeare

Smash Cadet
I prefer light players bacause the heavy players are very slo but they are also strong...
But I prefer light one's because I like fastness...

stealthwarrior17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2938-7216-1604
Heavy, I like the defense and offensive which comes with those characters. I know their issues, but i win with endurance many a times after reading my opponent's style.

lloDownedu74

Smash Ace
I've always liked light characters who are good in the air. I main Peach, and I secondary Jiggz. Right now, I'm working on G&W and Sheik. But for some reason, I'm trying out DDD. Idk why. Maybe it's cuz hes good in the air?
IMO, Light>Heavy, even though I hate snake's utilt xD

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
Everyone's attributing speed and floatiness to light characters, which is definitely not always true.
I main Wolf, who has incredibly fast attacks. He has high air speed and his fast falling makes him even faster.
Wario is very heavy but has high air speed and is relatively floaty.
Samus is heavy and also one of floatiest characters in the game.

If you only compare weight, being heavy is obviously better than light because it makes you harder to KO.
And before anyone mentions this, I'm pretty sure that how easily a character is combo'd depends on aerial mobility and how fast he falls. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JOE!

Smash Hero
shouldnt yoshi be technically "heavier" than Wario, even though they have teh same weight, because Yoshi has a better airspeed, thus is able to return to the stage better? (live longer)

BSP

Smash Legend
I am not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure(not counting side b braking for yoshi) wario can momentum cancel faster. Can't he use his bike to momentum cancel?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Whoever said it obviously meant running/walking/horizontal air speed. Stop being so close minded, people! -_-
In reality, DK is in the top third or so for all categories, if I recall correctly.
Heavy is always a good thing.

The difference is how fast they fall and how overall slow they are.
True.
If you only compare weight, being heavy is obviously better than light because it makes you harder to KO.
And before anyone mentions this, I'm pretty sure that how easily a character is combo'd depends on aerial mobility and how fast he falls. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Primarily, yes, but the point is that there are no combos in brawl outside of chaingrabs or the very rare two-hit aerial strings, so it doesn't even matter all that much, and is reduced even further when you consider the greater defensive options that make setups to such "combos" generally unsafe.

Imo, this should be changed to fastfallers vs. floaties. Heavies and Lightweights just plain sets off the wrong message.

On a side note, I main Lucario, who is the character directly heavier than mario on the weight lists for both vertically and horizontally, as I recall. I guess that makes me a midweight user, but that hardly matters much, as the real question should be between fastfallers and floaties...

Jeb

Smash Cadet
I like using heavy characters more than lighter ones because I think they're more fun, but ironically I main a midweight, Luigi (with his floatiness he looks more like a lightwieght too).

slappy77

Smash Rookie
Heavier is Better

HEavy Guys for ME!

Bringin the PAIN!

Slappy77
winnin $$ @ gamersaloon.com

riti

Smash Rookie
heavy for me
the best thing is to kill someone at very low % when you are at 169%
don't under estimate the speed of the pimp slap cauze the pimp of da jungle ain't slow

LLeer

Smash Rookie
Both.

I generally play with lighter characters though. Heavies are tough to get used to.

Doesn't matter too much for me, as long as they fit my play-style. Like my two mains are very different! (Pikachu = light, Ike = Heavy.)
I agree with this. When a character fits your playing style, you feel so much more comfortable during the match.
I used to main Ike and Pikachu as well. :]

sammy p

Smash Lord
yea im a mid-wieght user... i play pit, luigi, toon link, and am learning jiggleh...
so yea i PREFER lights over heavey but im a mid-wieght user through and through

Top Bottom