• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play Stock or Timed???

Fearthesmash

Smash Apprentice
4 stocks, 8 minute timer. Or if its a free for all with lots of people around, 3 stock 6 minute timer.

ro0kie42

Smash Apprentice
i usually go 99 stock 1 minute timer. and i can usually get them down to about 45 lives before time runs out.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Out of reflex I play 4 stock with 8 minutes, but if I just want to fool around, I'd have probably 10 stock with unlimited time.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Stock, of course. A limited number of lives to work with just makes more sense and is more enjoyable to me, rather than earning points by killing foes, losing them when you die, etc etc that time mode gives you.

Zevox

Destructioncalls

Smash Cadet
Honestly i never thought anyone played time matches... I also don't understand why people like such short matches. I mean aside from tournaments i've been in, when i play at home we always play wit 15 stock when its 4 people and 10 stock when its 1on1.

The matchs take about 15 minutes or so which is fine. I mean usually everyone picks there best person and we go on a stage everyone likes, so why not just have one decent length match instead of 2 second ones.

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
3 stock, no time. Hell yeah. I can't stand it when I'm stopped in the middle of a match by a timer, especially if I'm just about to finish off an opponent and get another kill. But my friends and I play so that you only "truly win" if you're the last man standing AND you have the most kills. And I don't mind playing more than 3 stock, but I like to switch characters a lot so that gives me more opportunities to change. Plus when you're playing with a group the first two out don't have to wait forever for the last two people duking it out to finish their match.

D

Deleted member

I only play the N64 version (didn't like Melee). When we're playing in person, three stock, when playing online, five stock. No time limit.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I only play the N64 version (didn't like Melee). When we're playing in person, three stock, when playing online, five stock. No time limit.
ummmmm....yeah...N64 Smash didn't have online play. In fact, Nintendo Wi-Fi didn't even exist yet.

Roatigas

Smash Rookie
According to my Melee records section, I've played more coin battles - exactly 100, for the trophy >.> - than I have stock matches. So I guess my answer is timed, usually 3 minutes. I think my preference for timed battles stems from the fact that my only regular human opponent - my sister - doesn't like the definitive loss that is derived from stock matches, and so I had to play timed matches in order for her to play. After a while, it just became the way I rolled.

Back in the days of 64, when my friends retained an interest in it, I'm fairly certain all my matches were stock based though. Perhaps Smash is cyclical for me and I'll return to stock matches for Brawl.

Tenkai

Smash Cadet
I play in Stocks in 1vs1 duel. 5 stocks.

But I prefer Time when I play in Free For All. 5 minute in Smash 64, and 3 minutes in Smash Melee (since the game is faster, then there is more KO).
I think that playin' in time allow a more balanced gameplay with more comeback situation and all.
You have to attack enough to gain point, but being careful enough too to not lose them.

Stocks with 3 or 4 player tends to be less accurate (and basically, you can stay in a corner, wait for the moment when your 3 opponents already lose some stocks and begin to attack them.) than Time.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
I play stock, I find time to be kind of cheap, since you can just try to run away when you have the lead

JayceMJ

Smash Apprentice
ummmmm....yeah...N64 Smash didn't have online play. In fact, Nintendo Wi-Fi didn't even exist yet.
Kaillera. Look it up.

I usually do timed stock when playing 1v1. 3 Lives 5 minutes. Having a time limit there usually forces more aggression.

With 3 or more people I play timed. Especially when someone's using Sheik or we're on Hyrule Temple. It's a good way to discourage turtling.

Top Bottom