• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you intend to play using the character "radar" ON or OFF?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate the inclusion of this option just because more options is just better, but what you guys think about the character radar they implemented?

It is a rectangle, that you can adjust the size and if it's on/off, and that appears all the time some player is out of the visible area of the stage. It appears at the left/right upper corner of the screen, depending of the last position a character was before.

radar.png

Do you think you will use it or that it is really necessary or usefull most of the time?
I may be wrong, but it doesn't looks too useful to me. Maybe more for expectators of the game (and maybe pro-players), but for regular players... if you are thrown to some corner, you just need to come back, and the game already provides an arrow that points to your off screen position. To use the radar, you will need to first quickly look to the rectangle (whereaver it appears), that will pop in for just some seconds, find the dot that represents your character and then have some fast decision using the radar information... But to me, it seems to be a bit irrelevant, since you already have an idea of where is your character and the direction you need to go to come back. Also, at the same time you will be able to know your exact position, your enemy will know it too, so he can use it to hit you out of the visible area easily, while you could use a bit of the luck from not being totally visible to try to recover.

It also has a design problem, cause it is a rectangle that will pop in all the time, specially with games with 4 or more players, and that you maybe will barely have the opportunity to use it, and it will keep appearing all the time anyway in a game that already has too many things appearing on screen all the time, and it can also disturb your gameplay cause it can sometimes stay in front of some characters and you may be annoyed by having some rectangule disturbing your vision, even if has some level of opacity.

For now, I think I'm inclined to play the game with the radar OFF. I don't think it will really be necessary to know your position and will annoys me more than help. I may be wrong, but that's my actual impression.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I’ll play with it on. I can’t tell you the amount of times I screwed up and killed myself by crossing the blast zone when I tried to play off screen.

Greencast

Smash Rookie
I'll have to play with it a bit to fully know, but to me on the surface it seems useful

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
What happened to this thing?
It still exists, you can even see it on the sample image. That's why I think this is a bit irrelevant. I also think that adding a rectangle with dots showing the exact position turn things a bit too technical and the game loses a bit of the magic. It seems to me like a "developer screen" that us, players, shouldn't have access...

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think I'll keep it on. Seems pretty useful. Doesn't hurt to be precise in knowing where your opponent is—or yourself, for that matter.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
It's the most accurate depiction of blastzones we have, and though the magnifying glass is still useful (more useful now because it grows/shrinks depending on how close to the blastzone you are), I'm gonna leave the radar on. The balloon-like knockback in Ultimate makes it a little more difficult to keep track of characters than in previous games, so the radar will definitely be useful there.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Not that it should determine whether you have it on or not, but Xanadu’s stance is going to be to use the small one. That seems like a fair compromise.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It should definitely be on; it's information to the players that the devs intended to give. Honestly it should probably be left on whatever is default, but either small or large is probably fine. This is thinking from a purely competitive perspective; obviously people playing on their own can do whatever.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, whichever's the default.

It's not like anyone's going to notice it.

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
I would first have to play with it for a while to see what I think about it. I'll probably end up choosing to have it off or maybe use the smaller version though. I still think it's a nice feature to include and will be appreciated by newcomers, but I've been playing smash for 16 years without it with no complaints.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Off. Off. Off. OFF!!

I loathe that minimap that just pops up. So happy there’s an option to make it go away.

It takes up too much of the screen, even when small, and I don’t need to know where I am if I’ve got the opaque cloud trails and magnifying glass anyway.

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate the inclusion of this option just because more options is just better, but what you guys think about the character radar they implemented?

It is a rectangle, that you can adjust the size and if it's on/off, and that appears all the time some player is out of the visible area of the stage. It appears at the left/right upper corner of the screen, depending of the last position a character was before.

View attachment 177533

Do you think you will use it or that it is really necessary or usefull most of the time?
I may be wrong, but it doesn't looks too useful to me. Maybe more for expectators of the game (and maybe pro-players), but for regular players... if you are thrown to some corner, you just need to come back, and the game already provides an arrow that points to your off screen position. To use the radar, you will need to first quickly look to the rectangle (whereaver it appears), that will pop in for just some seconds, find the dot that represents your character and then have some fast decision using the radar information... But to me, it seems to be a bit irrelevant, since you already have an idea of where is your character and the direction you need to go to come back. Also, at the same time you will be able to know your exact position, your enemy will know it too, so he can use it to hit you out of the visible area easily, while you could use a bit of the luck from not being totally visible to try to recover.

It also has a design problem, cause it is a rectangle that will pop in all the time, specially with games with 4 or more players, and that you maybe will barely have the opportunity to use it, and it will keep appearing all the time anyway in a game that already has too many things appearing on screen all the time, and it can also disturb your gameplay cause it can sometimes stay in front of some characters and you may be annoyed by having some rectangule disturbing your vision, even if has some level of opacity.

For now, I think I'm inclined to play the game with the radar OFF. I don't think it will really be necessary to know your position and will annoys me more than help. I may be wrong, but that's my actual impression.
Im undecided, one side of me wants it to be a challenge like in other games to know where you are off screen, but the other half knows how advantageous it is to have a feature like this on

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
I'll have it on for a while and gauge its usefulness. Not much of a fan of less-than-necessary things taking up valuable screen space.

Last edited:

LoreAbidingCitizen

Smash Rookie
It's a neat and handy tool, that's for sure. I'm glad they implemented it. But I don't think I'll play with it switched on. Kinda' takes up screen space/attention and I've played all these years without it, seems a bit much for me personally.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I honestly never had much of a problem moving myself off the screen and near the blast zone.

It's also kind of a distraction in some situations. And blocks off a corner of the screen

So probably off

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I think it will be great for labbing blastzones and recoveries. It's more information to help us overall. I'll probably have it as small when in matches. Though if I'm practicing I might have it on large so I can have a better understanding of my off stage play

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
It's kinda distracting to people like me. You can still your player anyway.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Off. It's ugly. And I never really had an issue keeping track of myself unless it's 8 player smash or something, which, god, why would I do that to myself?

D

Deleted member

I'll try it on small. but if I don't like it i'll turn it off

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
It seems pretty cool, probably on large, I honestly do not see it being that distracting to me

Top Bottom