• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Do you have your Wii U already or are you planning on getting one later?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Also, MH3U, didn't hurt either.
Getting this game on sale for 20 dollars was one of the biggest steals I've ever made. I've honestly enjoyed it just as much if not more than any other Wii U game I've owned so far (WWHD, SM3DW, and DKCTF).

**** is gonna get real once Mario Kart 8 drops though... Can't wait for that one.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
definately getting one for smash. Maybe one for mario kart 8 once they announce what the heck they are doing with online.
12 player online races confirmed along with Mario Kart Channel on Miiverse where you can view replays and upload them.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Don't forget the Indis, compared to the masses on crapgames which came out for the Wii, those are small gems.
This month I gonna buy Shovel Knight!!! :D

I don't know why anyone wouldn't have a Wii U.
I do know why, just don´t understand why to beat the **** out from the product on the nets and pretend that xbone and play 4 is THE PERFECT NEXT GEN MACHINE!!11!1

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
God, every time I see a negative post about the Wii U on the internet, my blood boils...I really want the Nintendo Cycle to happen soon, probably after E3, Nintendo has always been the best at shutting people up suddenly.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
God, every time I see a negative post about the Wii U on the internet, my blood boils...I really want the Nintendo Cycle to happen soon, probably after E3, Nintendo has always been the best at shutting people up suddenly.
Hope that is not about me, I love the console just for Donkey Kong, but I understand other people opnions XP
But prepare yourself because the hate is so deep that things only gonna change when they launch a nintendo console dudebro.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Nothing's particularly pulled me into getting a Wii U yet, with the exception of the Wind Waker HD bundle which lost it's luster the second I realized all the bundled stuff was digital.

I tell myself I'm gonna hold out on buying one in case there's a Smash bundle, but since that'll probably be digital as well, I might try to save up and buy one when Mario Kart 8 drops, depending on what I hear about it.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Since most of you guys are getting Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4, you all should look forward to Monolith Soft's "X" as well. Based on the videos, it looks like it'll have online multiplayer, and it's definitely the best-looking Wii U game so far. I find it really sad to see this game and Bayonetta 2 not being mentioned in many Wii U owners' lists, especially since their fate determines what games Nintendo should develop or publish. In other words, if they both bomb in sales, that just lets Nintendo know that the fans only care about the usual Nintendo franchises and not anything new from them, e.g., The Wonderful 101.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Since most of you guys are getting Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4, you all should look forward to Monolith Soft's "X" as well.
Ah of course, how could I forget. I'm a massive Xenoblade fan, but I am assuming that X will drop after Smash, so I'm expecting to have one by then. But by god if it gets released before... I'll be all over it.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
agreed. Remember when people said the 3DS was dead? Now people cant stop talking about it. Same will happen to Wii-u. They just need more games and once mario kart8 and smash are out, it will be interested to see how the system sells.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Ah of course, how could I forget. I'm a massive Xenoblade fan, but I am assuming that X will drop after Smash, so I'm expecting to have one by then. But by god if it gets released before... I'll be all over it.
Agreed. Do you think there's a chance we can pre-order X now at least? I don't want a repeat of what happened to xenoblade. Sheesh. Eighty dollars? The game's awesome definitely, but that price is ridiculous.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
That sounds amazing! :love: Plus no hackers.
One can only hope there won't be. The hackers weren't so bad though compared to that horrible and broken trick where yanking out your router cord (Seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy1VYa-3MKY) and quickly putting it back in once the race started would end the race and put you in first place, leaving everyone else to DC, and the 9000+ ranked driver who was not doing well at the time faces a nice -250 point penalty because the butt-hurt 11 year old got knocked off at the start of the race.

Let's hope Nintendo improves on the internet experience this time.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
agreed. Remember when people said the 3DS was dead? Now people cant stop talking about it. Same will happen to Wii-u. They just need more games and once mario kart8 and smash are out, it will be interested to see how the system sells.
It's true the Wii U hate is premature, considering there's virtually not titles out for it, or at least, there wasn't when the hate started.

That said, if Nintendo doesn't do a better job of marketing, titles like Mario Kart 8 and Smash might end up making as relatively small a splash as DK and 3DW did.

And @ Pega-pony Princess Pega-pony Princess , the current price situation with Xenoblade is a product of Game Stop being a *******, which was itself due to Nintendo being uncaring about Xenoblade's fate here. One can only hope that with this game they'll avoid the retail exclusivity that has doomed Xenoblade to niche status.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
Since most of you guys are getting Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. 4, you all should look forward to Monolith Soft's "X" as well. Based on the videos, it looks like it'll have online multiplayer, and it's definitely the best-looking Wii U game so far. I find it really sad to see this game and Bayonetta 2 not being mentioned in many Wii U owners' lists, especially since their fate determines what games Nintendo should develop or publish. In other words, if they both bomb in sales, that just lets Nintendo know that the fans only care about the usual Nintendo franchises and not anything new from them, e.g., The Wonderful 101.
What genre is that game? Cause I'm not really into RPGs.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Hope that is not about me, I love the console just for Donkey Kong, but I understand other people opnions XP
But prepare yourself because the hate is so deep that things only gonna change when they launch a nintendo console dudebro.
I really find it hard to feel respect for anyone who openly dislikes Nintendo games.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Hmm.. well maybe I can make an exception. I may need to see more on this game.
Looking up Xenoblade footage may be a decent gauge, assuming you either don't care about potential spoilers for that game or can find clips which avoid any.

It really is more involved combat than something like a turn-based RPG.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
So you don't respect people who have a different opinion on video games than you.....?
You seem to be new here, so I'll assume you didn't know who you were responding to.

Just... avoid arguing with him.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So you don't respect people who have a different opinion on video games than you.....?
I do respect the people, I just find it much easier to sympathize with people that like Nintendo.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The drought is so real than I bought New Super Luigi U. At least now I have that nice green cover.
I hope a lot of games become really rare in 20 years or so, since nobody's buying them.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
The drought is so real than I bought New Super Luigi U. At least now I have that nice green cover.
I hope a lot of games become really rare in 20 years or so, since nobody's buying them.
I think that New Super Luigi U and Wonderful 101 will be EXPENSIVE. Wonderful 101 maybe even go to earthbound level....
At least Wii U is selling better than PS4 in Japan, I mean...I respect people that like other video games but pretend that other video games is so more NEXT gen when PC break everyone faces is stupid.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Not gonna lie. A part of me is tempted to not get a WiiU and just get a 3DS to practice alone.
So Make a decision like a smart man: list all the good and bad aspect on paper. Start distribute points basead on your taste and that may help you. Want some advice? Wait for E3 to do that XP

T

Trick or Treat

Oh, I fully intend on purchasing Bayonetta 2. I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but I'm likely just going to get it when it releases anyway.

I'll still need more details on "X" before I make a decision. It looks like it has amazing potential.

I'm also looking at Watch Dogs, as well.

P.S. The Wonderful 101 is an amazing game.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
So Make a decision like a smart man: list all the good and bad aspect on paper. Start distribute points basead on your taste and that may help you. Want some advice? Wait for E3 to do that XP
Agreed. Again, I'm waiting until the last possible moment to buy anything.

Apparently, it's really difficult to accept that people have different tastes in video games, that or they're just fanboys.

Honestly, how can you not stand the fact that others want to do something differently; you're literally bickering because you can't for some reason accept how someone decides to spend their money, and anyone who doesn't agree with these ridiculous principles falls into some bandwagon. It's stupid.

Sure, the other next gen systems aren't perfect, but most of you knew what you signed up for when you bought the Wii U; to play your favorite first party franchise exclusives on a system that was running on hardware specifications that resembled the previous generation of consoles. It was the same for the Wii and it's the same for the Wii U, so don't suddenly act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As I've said before, I'll get my Wii U when Smash 4 is close to it's release. Maybe after. E3 I'll have some more persuasion to get one sooner, but with most of the franchises I enjoyed being absent from Nintendo's line up besides their representation in smash I highly doubt any thing new will come of it, as they have had years to do so. Nintendo's remake methodology is in full swing at the moment so I'm hoping for more 3rd party support.

I didn´t read your post because you know, hive minded troll and stuff like that. But you must be a idiot to be impressed with play 4 and xbone NEXT GENERETION GRAPCHIS!!!

Is the same ****.

Peace out.
I'm glad that you admitted that you didn't read what I said, and I believe you. Not one time did I mention graphics in my statement.

Cool your jets fanboy.

This is why buying a console based on its power is a pretty stupid reason imo. If you want power, go PC, simple as that. The only reason to ever get a console to begin with are exclusives, by this point it's so damn easy to connect a controller to your PC too that the keyboard isn't even an excuse anymore.

The only ones who can't be replaced by a PC are Nintendo imo, because they always do something new with their consoles, like the Gamepad. The PS4 and XBone's only new features are ones that have been possible on PCs for ages, like live streaming, their graphical capabilities, watching TV, only thing that the PC can't do that one of these two consoles have is probably the XBone's voice recognition, which lets to be fair is a rather bland gimmick (and the PS4's touch pad, which is incredibly rarely used afaik.) Nintendo on the other hand has the Gamepad, something that the PC can't emulate, and it has tons of functionality both inside and outside gaming. Besides that, they also have the best exclusives of course, with many of the other console's system sellers like Call of Duty, GTA and Titanfall making it to the PC eventually. Heck, Kojima has even stated he'd like to port MGS to the PC.

These are the reasons I choose Nintendo at least, which wasn't my initial intention with this post, but whatever.
It's true. Nintendo is the only company that makes consoles that have something different to them, but the thing is making a PC gaming system to keep up with the graphics most systems use now is somewhat expensive, and getting a new graphics card is about the same price as getting a new console. To most people it is worth the money to buy a system that can do things similar to a PC right out of the box than to tinker with their computers so that's why they sell so well I guess.

The issue with using older hardware isn't just about graphics, but running different engines to render lighting, coloring and particle effects in the game. The new Unreal Engine that is being developed can't be on a system like the Wii U because it lacks the processing power to do so. And while there are still opportunities to make great games and develop new engines unique to certain games, most developers want to move on and push the boundaries if what they have made before.

I still feel like Nintendo should have made that jump into using a more powerful system even if it cost more. In the end it's entertainment, and people are willing to spend a great deal of money on it. If people are still willing to pay hundreds and thousands for great seats to sports games then I'm sure people will buy a Nintendo system with capabilities on par with systems like the PS4 and XBox one plus having a unique gimmick. Probably won't happen since Nintendo is aiming for certain people, but I personally would like it.

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I'm glad that you admitted that you didn't read what I said, and I believe you. Not one time did I mention graphics in my statement.

Cool your jets fanboy.
I am not a fanboy, you can read my post in this page to see why. When I start reading your post you sounded like that hive minded beast people that say bad things about wii u and xbone (in last extense) and praise play 4 as a might god. And playstation 4 is in a drought right now. I won´t read your post and I ask excuses if your opinion was sensible and well thought. sincerely that day was a bad one.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
What we think would or would not have been smart is kind of irrelevant; Nintendo's entire philosophy centers around (relative) affordability and gameplay innovation.

Honestly the problem with the Wii U (the biggest one) is that even with their fancy new controller, they haven't really delivered on the innovation front.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
What we think would or would not have been smart is kind of irrelevant; Nintendo's entire philosophy centers around (relative) affordability and gameplay innovation.

Honestly the problem with the Wii U (the biggest one) is that even with their fancy new controller, they haven't really delivered on the innovation front.
I definitely agree with this. Nintendo touts innovation as the core concept behind their hardware, but they've failed to really offer more than a fraction of what their platforms are capable of doing. Just as the 3DS' 3D feature was never really put to real use, the Gamepad has also fallen onto the backburner, something Iwata himself recently admitted to. The console's price mainly results from the Gamepad, but it's so underutilized that it's difficult to justify the emphasis placed upon it to consumers. Nintendo's had a history with this same problem. They tried to sell the GameCube on its GBA connectivity, but that was quickly abandoned, and it took them until the last major title of the Wii's lifespan (Skyward Sword) to prove that motion controls had some sort of value beyond being a gimmick.

I love Nintendo's innovative way of thinking, but if the Wii U's possibilities are going to stay as unused as they have been, I would have preferred they just have foregone the Gamepad and made another PC mock-up like Sony/Microsoft. I don't think they'd struggle to compete in that case, since the improved processing power would allow them to enjoy the third-party support of the other systems while also housing their excellent first-party material. Unconventional warfare is fine, but why not beat the enemy at their own game if you're capable of doing it?

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
You know, maybe we should get a thread going where we can add each other to our Wii U friend list.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I definitely agree with this. Nintendo touts innovation as the core concept behind their hardware, but they've failed to really offer more than a fraction of what their platforms are capable of doing. Just as the 3DS' 3D feature was never really put to real use, the Gamepad has also fallen onto the backburner, something Iwata himself recently admitted to. The console's price mainly results from the Gamepad, but it's so underutilized that it's difficult to justify the emphasis placed upon it to consumers. Nintendo's had a history with this same problem. They tried to sell the GameCube on its GBA connectivity, but that was quickly abandoned, and it took them until the last major title of the Wii's lifespan (Skyward Sword) to prove that motion controls had some sort of value beyond being a gimmick.

I love Nintendo's innovative way of thinking, but if the Wii U's possibilities are going to stay as unused as they have been, I would have preferred they just have foregone the Gamepad and made another PC mock-up like Sony/Microsoft. I don't think they'd struggle to compete in that case, since the improved processing power would allow them to enjoy the third-party support of the other systems while also housing their excellent first-party material. Unconventional warfare is fine, but why not beat the enemy at their own game if you're capable of doing it?
Only people who feel that they could live without the Gamepad are the people who don't have a Wii U, even when not being used with games, the Gamepad's still an amazing device to control the console, and most of the time, the awesome offscreen play feature justifies the gamepad, plus, Assassin's Creed III used the GamePad brilliantly, and the Gamepad+WiiChuck setting's the best thing ever for Pikmin 3. Not to mention, if the Watch Dogs Wii U delay's really for making the Wii U game better, that game will show what the Gamepad can really do, not to mention Rayman Legends' cool Murfy levels (Curious, Ubi seems to be the company that takes advantage of the Gamepad the most).

I really hate it when people criticize the Gamepad, because it's probably one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever produced.

Also, it makes browsing the web, looking up Youtube videos, watching movies, etc. much easier, since people always complain about Nintendo not doing a 'media center' thing. Yeah, it takes like 4 hours to look up a Youtube video on any last-gen console, even on the Xbone and the PS4. I'm pretty sure the Gamepad would work to expand some franchises' options and even let some franchises enter the console world (Total War, or pretty much every RTS ever, anyone?). The point being that, when the Gamepad's not innovating, it's too busy making what was previously annoying much easier and streamlined.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Only people who feel that they could live without the Gamepad are the people who don't have a Wii U, even when not being used with games, the Gamepad's still an amazing device to control the console, and most of the time, the awesome offscreen play feature justifies the gamepad, plus, Assassin's Creed III used the GamePad brilliantly, and the Gamepad+WiiChuck setting's the best thing ever for Pikmin 3. Not to mention, if the Watch Dogs Wii U delay's really for making the Wii U game better, that game will show what the Gamepad can really do, not to mention Rayman Legends' cool Murfy levels (Curious, Ubi seems to be the company that takes advantage of the Gamepad the most).

I really hate it when people criticize the Gamepad, because it's probably one of the best controllers Nintendo has ever produced.

Also, it makes browsing the web, looking up Youtube videos, watching movies, etc. much easier, since people always complain about Nintendo not doing a 'media center' thing. Yeah, it takes like 4 hours to look up a Youtube video on any last-gen console, even on the Xbone and the PS4. I'm pretty sure the Gamepad would work to expand some franchises' options and even let some franchises enter the console world (Total War, or pretty much every RTS ever, anyone?). The point being that, when the Gamepad's not innovating, it's too busy making what was previously annoying much easier and streamlined.
The Gamepad has done next to nothing to impress me. In the vast majority of games, it's used as a simple menu screen or something to that effect. I personally love the controller. It's comfortable and has a unique feature with tons of untapped potential. But the touch screen needs to be used for more than just a fancy streamliner for HUD functionality or a leisurely replacement for buttons. It doesn't sell me on what it's currently being used to do. It doesn't innovate enough, despite being able to do so. As a result, I don't think it's worth the high price that it causes the system to have. It's really the Gamepad that keeps the Wii U unappealing to a lot of people because of its price and poor integration, so it needs to justify itself (and its manufacturing price) by being used in more creative ways. Until that happens, it's really just dead weight making the console more expensive, aside from when a few developers make good use of it every now and then.

I could live without the Gamepad, since all it offers are features that can be replicated by standard HUD/controller interfaces. That's the problem. Nintendo banked on the Gamepad to be the reason that people buy the system, but it doesn't offer a unique enough experience as to be attractive enough for that to happen. The controller needs to be integrated more into the software. Rather than simple serving as a means to speed up inputs or play off-screen, the very software itself should be built around using it creatively. It's a good controller. It's just underutilized for a system so apparently dedicated to its application.

Anyway, I don't want to get off-topic. I will say that at the moment, I'm waiting to see what E3 has in store before buying the console. We've got plenty of time before Smash comes out, and hopefully by E3, we'll see more upcoming titles. I plan to pick up 3D World and Tropical Freeze before Smash comes out, so I'll have something to play for a few months until it releases.

Top Bottom