• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Do you have your Wii U already or are you planning on getting one later?

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Seeing as how the Wii U isn't doing crazy well, I'm interested to see if Smashers grabbed theirs ahead of time or if they're waiting for the release date.

I have mine already, what about you?

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i would have gotten a wii u earlier if u were able to use the wii u pro controller for brawl but sadly you can't so ill be getting a wii u a week before smash 4 release

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I got mine at launch.
It's been a long road but it was worth it.
Got to play some great games I normally wouldn't have played if games like Mario Kart and Smash were options.
But now the Wii U has a decent library of games, and it's only going to get better.
I'm sure the majority of the forum will be getting one for Smash, but with the other system seller coming out in late May people are running out of excuses not to buy one at this point.
Mario Kart and Smash will help with sales for sure.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I have one. At the moment I bought one it was obvious Wii U would not be what Nintendo imagined it to be, but the cancellation crisis began directly afterwards; I dunno if I'd do that again.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I got mine when I got a special work discount for working Thanksgiving (Black Friday).

Otherwise I would have waited until at least Mario Kart 8, because there really isn't anything to play on the system until then. =/

JediLink

Smash Ace
I don't have one yet.

It's not just that the console is too expensive, but games are still too expensive too.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I don't have one. Haven't had a legitimate reason to get one until Sonic Boom was announced. ¦D

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Got one at launch.
While I haven't bought many retail games for it, the virtual console and indie games have been enough for me between big releases.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't have one and I am not so sure if I will pick one in the future. The 3DS is more than enough to me so far and seeing that Smash 4 will be also released for it, buying a Wii U at the moment would be quite redundant. Should Nintendo announce a Metroid game and a Majora's Mask-ish Zelda game at E3, I might consider buying a Wii U again, even if the games have absurd prices and nothing similar to Steam or PSN+ to help the poor like me a little bit. PC gaming and having PSN+ on the PS3/Vita spoiled me.

D

Deleted member

Got mine before Mario 3D World came out. Figured with the new Smash coming soon and one of the best Mario games in a while coming out there wasn't a reason to hold off on it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If you're thinking of buying one here's a list of games to hopefully convince you.

Super Mario 3D World
Wind Waker HD
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Nintendo Land
Wii Sports Club (Need to convince the the old casual crowd somehow?)
New Super Mario Bros U (Only if you missed the Wii version or really want Super Luigi)
Sonic Lost World
Rayman Legends (Best Version, unless you're one of the 7 people with a Vita in which case, hi friend.)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Find me one good reason not to dress a bear like Mario)
Lego City Undercover/Lego Marvel Superheroes (WiiU gamepad makes that stupid swinging split screen a thing of the past.)

And if you haven't already got it the WiiU version of Assassin's Creed 4 is good too.

I got mine the first Christmas it came out. Not too ashamed to admit it gathered dust for a while but the eShop has some great games so it's now a daily thing to play it.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Got mine this christmas. Super Mario 3D World is one of the most fun video game experiences I've had in a long time, definitely game of the year for 2013. Planning on getting DKC:TF and Mario Kart 8 on release, and will probably get Rayman Legends in the wait in between those two games. I already have Sonic Lost World and AC IV: Black Flag too.

It has a pretty solid line-up currently.

Last edited:
I'd play a Wii U if it were free to me, but I wouldn't drop that kind of dosh on such an ailing system. I've got a 3DS for Smash 4, myself!

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm still hoping to get one this year, but if they do a Super Smash Bros. Wii U bundle, then that is something I will definitely purchase.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I already have one, bought when Sonic Lost World was released; after that bought Super Mario 3D World that was my most expected game after Smash; ... in general I'm very satisfied with the console, good games, there's a lot of them I want to buy before (and probably after too) Smash;.. like Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2; ...I'm probably buying DKC TF next month. =)

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I got mine when I got a special work discount for working Thanksgiving (Black Friday).

Otherwise I would have waited until at least Mario Kart 8, because there really isn't anything to play on the system until then. =/
Except every single epic game to play.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I got mine bundled with WWHD. Bad ass controller and game all in one? Yes please.
Then I got SM3DW a little while later. The game was an absolute blast especially local multiplayer.
Next I purchased MH3U for a measly 20 bucks while it was on sale. VERY addicting/underrated game.
I'll be getting MK8 in May as soon as it drops... Online multiplayer is gonna be amazingly fun I can't wait.
I was never really interested in getting DKCTF but the more I see of it the more I'm impressed. Might pick it up depending on the reviews it gets.

So in my eyes that's already 5 quality games that I've enjoyed/are going to enjoy before Smash is even close to releasing, and this doesn't even include other great games that others have enjoyed such as Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, and Assasin's Creed IV. The library of games is only going to get better as time goes on so I'd say the Wii U has definitely been worth my purchase.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Except every single epic game to play.
Like what?

I've already seen what's out... I got it bundled with New Super Mario Bros. U, which honestly is a total drag to play. I got Super Mario 3D World with it as well, which was fun, but also wasn't anything special.

Other games? Not interested in playing a remastered port of Wind Waker (the original still looks fine), I have no interest in Donkey Kong Returns. Pikmin has never been for me. Wonderful 101 doesn't interest me. And the "mature" third party titles are especially not for me, as I don't like violence.

But please, do go on about the Wii U's "epic" list of titles that I'm supposed to enjoy by default.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Like what?

I've already seen what's out... I got it bundled with New Super Mario Bros. U, which honestly is a total drag to play. I got Super Mario 3D World with it as well, which was fun, but also wasn't anything special.

Other games? Not interested in playing a remastered port of Wind Waker (the original still looks fine), I have no interest in Donkey Kong Returns. Pikmin has never been for me. Wonderful 101 doesn't interest me. And the "mature" third party titles are especially not for me, as I don't like violence.

But please, do go on about the Wii U's "epic" list of titles that I'm supposed to enjoy by default.
Seems the problem is with you not the system.
It has GAME A. "Don't care, don't like it.".
It has GAME B. "Don't care, don't like it.".
It has GAME C. "Don't care, don't like it.".
It has GAME D. "Don't care, don't like it.".
See the issue? Just sell the thing, but hey, watch out, because PS4 has games too. And since you obviously don't like games, maybe you should stay away from it too. I suggest you buy a toaster. Or a fridge. Maybe they are more within your tastes.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
See the issue? Just sell the thing, but hey, watch out, because PS4 has games too. And since you obviously don't like games, maybe you should stay away from it too. I suggest you buy a toaster. Or a fridge. Maybe they are more within your tastes.
But you see, I'm not complaining about the system. My original post was merely exclaiming the only reason I purchased the system before the release of Mario Kart 8.

So, no I don't need to sell it because I have low interest in what Nintendo has released so far. TBH, that's the way it goes with most Nintendo consoles, the games I love take at least a year to come out.

I got the system for Mario Kart 8/SSB4/Zelda U and other exciting Nintendo franchises down the line.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Got mine a while back, and it was certainly worth it. Hell, even just Pikmin 3 by itself was worth it, and I normally would never call a single game that good, but I would have gotten a Wii U solely for P3 in hindsight (and it was my first Pikmin game as well). Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario I've played since Sunshine, but then I missed out on the apparently amazing Galaxy games. Wind Waker HD was also good for me since I never played the original, and frankly I'm glad I skipped it the first time (Wind Waker is an amazing game, but I would have pulled my hair out without the HD exclusive swift sail). And for third party games, Rayman Legends is a definitive Wii U experience, despite being made multiplatform, it was originally designed and intended to be exclusive and this version is the best.

But you see, I'm not complaining about the system. My original post was merely exclaiming the only reason I purchased the system before the release of Mario Kart 8.
It's funny how vastly different opinions can be regarding a general subject, I thought Pikmin 3 was amazing and Tropical Freeze is one of the only games I'm looking forward to right now. But for me, Mario Kart is the boring game that I have no interest in whatsoever.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It's funny how vastly different opinions can be regarding a general subject, I thought Pikmin 3 was amazing and Tropical Freeze is one of the only games I'm looking forward to right now. But for me, Mario Kart is the boring game that I have no interest in whatsoever.
That's great for you. =)

I was never meaning to put down other people's preferences (I thought that was clear...) nor was I saying the system has no good games. I was just meaning it currently has very little for me personally.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Like what?

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Wii_U
http://pastebin.com/XZwGht1k

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I started to want Mario Kart 8 after the announce of the Koopalings. :\/... of course the anti-gravity thing is nice.. but, believe or not, visually, the game doesn't appeal me too much.. I don't like how they are trying to make photorealistic such a surreal universe as Mario's; colorful and bright graphics in HD as in SM3DW and MKAGPDX are enough for make the game spetacular.. we don't really need to see the breath of the characters and the small cracks in Twomphs' faces; :T.

but, it's only a detail, actually the game seems insanely fun and very well done; I'll buy eventually.. and I hope it sells well.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Like what?

The fact that you called NSMBU "a drag to play" and SPECIALLY Super Mario 3D World "Nothing special" tells me all I need to know.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The fact that you called NSMBU "a drag to play" and SPECIALLY Super Mario 3D World "Nothing special" tells me all I need to know.
Just let it go... Not everybody has to like Mario.

Anyways, I've had mine since the beginning.

Nintendo Land is severely underrated, it's one of my most played games for the Wii U. I'd say it's worth a purchase if you have a buddy that'd play with you because Metroid Blast and Pikmin Adventure are awesome in multiplayer and there's tons of content.

And then there's W101. It's basically Kid Icarus: Uprising as a beat-em-up. Do I need to say more?

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I got mine bundled with Wind Waker HD back in the fall. I've been pretty happy with it so far, between WW HD, Assassin's Creed 4, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World and the like, there was plenty to keep me occupied. Admittedly, when the Wii U launched, I really had no intentions of getting one, especially with its weak first three quarters. However, the clump of releases during the later portion of 2013 made me finally cave. I also knew that this year would be much better, since I love all of the big releases coming (Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8 and Sm4sh).

Ulevo

Smash Master
There's actually quite a few titles that look great already for the Wii U, so I planned on getting one eventually. I don't have one now because I'm broke. But whether or not I go out and buy SWU is hard to say. If Brawl was released tomorrow, and I knew what I know now, I definitely wouldn't go out to purchase it. So needless to say I'm hesitant. I might see about trying to borrow it from someone just to test the engine.

Are games like SWU getting world wide releases now? Or will it be out in Japan before we get a launch?

Warning Received
All he said was he didn't like the games on the system. Get off his ****. Not everyone likes the same games you do.

Why do everyone one of these threads turn into bragging contests? No one wants to know why you bought it. Y'all acting like a bunch of ****ing gaming Jehovah's witnesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I got one for my b-day in October 2014. Split the cost with my GF. Its the WWHD version! Wonderful 101 is a blast, SM3D World is great, NES Remix is cool, Nintendo land is fun with friends (i have non/my gf doesnt play console games), Warriors orochi 3 hyper is cool.

I am going to get DK tropical freeze this weekend. MK8 is gonna be a blast. Im fully prepared for the new smash bros with my 3DS XL and my Wii U. Im gonna get both versions!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
All he said was he didn't like the games on the system. Get off his ****. Not everyone likes the same games you do.

Why do everyone one of these threads turn into bragging contests? No one wants to know why you bought it. Y'all acting like a bunch of ****ing gaming Jehovah's witnesses.
Um... Thanks and all, but I'd prefer not to be referred to by male pronouns. Thanks. =)

Seriously, though, I don't have anything more to say to this subject... So lets just drop it and get back to the topic.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I got my Wii U four days after it launched. It had a lack of usage at first (partly because of the game drought, partly because of exams). But I've had it over a year now, and it was well worth owning over the last year.

The only game I had at first was ZombiU, and I still have not completed it. It's good, and the concept is amazing, but it's kind of broken, so I never really played it.

At this point, I have nearly 10 retail games (though I actually bought one of these digitally), and I have Trine 2 and some Virtual Console releases. As well as free stuff like demos and Wii Sports Club.

Smash 4 alone is justification for me getting a Wii U, though. Even if there is a 3DS version.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
I have one, for obvious reasons. It seems to be getting the best games on the market, critically. These very same games also appeal to my personal taste, so it's fine by me.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

Hey man, he (or I guess she) didn't hire a defense squad team.
It's just stupid to buy a console without being interested in ANY of its games, that's all.
And by the way, it's not like the WiiU doesn't have a big range of different games. I mean if you don't like platform, adventure, action, survival horror, shooters ecc why do you even buy a gaming console really?
It's like if I subscribe to HBO without being interested in any of its shows and then complain about it. It's stupid and that's it.
Then she turned around and said she was expecting other games to come out, but at first she sounded pretty annoying to be honest, like "All this ****ty games I don't like how can you like it this system is such a drag.".
Jehovah's witnesses LOL... I couldn't care less about it to be honest.

Top Bottom