• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you feel guilty?

User52

Smash Cadet
NNID
User52
I feel like Lucario is sort of overrated. His aura mechanic is insanely awesome and helps him get some good kills, but I feel like that's the only thing he's really good at.

I try to rush down with him a little at low percents. However, I really find him difficult to combo with and he's not exactly super speedy. His grabs are good enough, but I don't feel like his follow up options are so amazing.
I try to play sort of campy at high percents, but I feel like his two projectiles are slow and predictable, meaning skilled players don't have too much of an issue getting in close unless they're playing really large/slow characters who lack reflectors.

I'm not saying Lucario is bad...but I do feel like he doesn't have a bunch going for him outside of his KO percents. Unless I'm missing something (which could be the case, because I'm still sort of new-ish at competitive Smash).
As a Lucario main, this is how I feel.

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
Hey Buddy, heres a few things I think Lucario excels at.

1. Air game
His Fair, Upair and Dair has very good priority and often you can pull off a few fairs at low %
His Bair is a kill move and Nair has low landing lag

2. Juggle proof
He has several methods to not get air juggled, a good B-reverse with hitbox, his counter, his dair stops him midair and his up-b if you can sweetspot the floor/ledge

3. Combo's
Although i'm not aware of many combo's for Lucario, Uptilt, Downtilt and Fair are excellent combo starters and at certain % you can fair into side b.

4. High %
Campy play when at high percent is fine, but I would keep that for your last stock, if you got extra stocks, I'd play agressive with a tad of zoning to maximize pressure/damage. Keep your fully charged B and use it to edgeguard or to hit grounded opponents who didn't tech to punish for big damage. It dosen't matter if you hit or not with side-b, use it from time to time to tell your opponent you got stage control, don't forget you can use it in the air or for edgeguarding!
You can break your momentum by using Dair, and if you master Upairs hurtbox and travel distance, you can use that as well to zone. Grab side B is a killmove and I believe Dash attack as well.

5. Low %
Not much you can do for damage, combo's will be your best bet, try mastering a few true combo's
I believe Grabbed side-B can be comboed from single jab or fair.
Grabs into combos will be one of the best ways to get dmg at 0%.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hey Buddy, heres a few things I think Lucario excels at.
Well, I wasn't exactly asking for advice, but I did learn a few things from that. Thanks.

I guess my argument was made with the other "good" characters in mind. I guess he's got some combos, but his combos aren't as deadly as Diddy's or as elaborate as Sheik's. But I'm also just really bad at combos on any character not named Pit, so...

As far as his air game goes, I feel he's limited by either range or speed in every one of them. I used to only take to the air to kill with his uair, but I think I'll give fair and bair more of a chance after reading your post.

User52

Smash Cadet
NNID
User52
5. Low %
Not much you can do for damage, combo's will be your best bet, try mastering a few true combo's
I believe Grabbed side-B can be comboed from single jab or fair.
Grabs into combos will be one of the best ways to get dmg at 0%.
You definitely can not true combo into Force Palm, sadly.

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
But I'm also just really bad at combos on any character not named Pit, so...
Oh? what kind of pit combo's do you use? I've been struggling in pit combo's.
The only thing I've used were fairs into nairs, or dtilt into pretty much anything

You definitely can not true combo into Force Palm, sadly.
Sorry bro, was pretty sure it did, if I ever figure something out, I'l mention it to you, on the other hand, i hope if you find something that you can share it with me~ =)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh? what kind of pit combo's do you use? I've been struggling in pit combo's.
Well, this really isn't the place for that, but his ariels are all great since they have several active frames. At a really low percentage, you can even d-throw into an up-smash.

But you should go around the Pit boards for that.

Top Bottom