• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people truly care what tier their character is?

Zealouz

Smash Rookie
even if you say you don't you obviously will care even if its the slightest bit of relief that you are high mid-tier.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
That is not the most important choice. It is interesting to know, but makes no difference in my choices. Although my best characters generally do fall in the upper categories; they do not always make it there.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
"Oh my gawd! I base my entire life on tiers! I only use Metaknight! No other character can ever win and that is a proven fact. Tiers are 100% accurate and they completely determine who will win."

This is all I hear when I come on Smash World Forums. lol

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
I play Random, just like I did in Melee, because I want to be proficient (or at least passable) with everyone on the roster. Tier lists are a falsehood without skilled players behind them and I'm not part of the tourney scene, too many commitments.

(Also, Wario and DK are **** machines)

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I play Random, just like I did in Melee, because I want to be proficient (or at least passable) with everyone on the roster. Tier lists are a falsehood without skilled players behind them and I'm not part of the tourney scene, too many commitments.

(Also, Wario and DK are **** machines)
I generally play random, but will occasionally throw in Falco or MetaKinght to give people a real smashing. It does get quite irritating when you are playing someone that never changes people, so I try to avoid that.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
If I'm going to invest time in a game, I care about tiers. I'll at least pick mid tier or higher.

Smash I don't care about much, and I don't find the time to play it in our own events. I say I'm a Wario player, but if I was gonna put time in learning I'd probably switch to G&W or Rob, as they are fun as hell.

Tiers matter because match ups matter. If you don't give a ****, then good for you.

joshgrrr

Smash Rookie
No its ****ing ********. Tiers are for queers is an accurate statement.
How is a chart that varies from year to year going to judge the characters in a game that does not change at all?

Answer: It's not.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
^^Yeah it is. Well, mostly it's going to change how people play them, which is almost the same thing. Fighting an Ike when the game came out is not the same as an Ike now. Same with MK.

~rh

Smash Lord
I play Marth. I don't give a **** that people call me cheap. I win. ;]

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I like playing good characters, but I don't go by the tiers. For example, in Melee C. Falcon was my main. In Brawl, he was just too nerfed. He is still my fave character, but I am not good with him anymore so why should I use him?

Now I am really liking Zamus and Lucario mostly (ignore that it says Pika is my main by my name), and they are both projected to be somewhat high on the tiers, but not top 5 by any means.

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
I don't. I used too but then I realised that no matter character you are, you can be the #1 person in the world. (Not that I am, just saying it shouldn't hold you back.)

Veril

Frame Savant
If people didn't care, this thread wouldn't exist. People care... a lot. Thus the endless discussions.

I should say: 99% of people on smashboards care. Myself included. I just care a little bit less than some.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
People do care but they really shouldn't. You're character being Top tier isn't going to make the character any better or worse, it's still going to be the same. The only thing it changes is the amount of people that use that character.

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
I somewhat care about tier lists. While having a character that I enjoy the fighting style of is my top priority, if they are going to hold me back with their matchups, I feel less motivated to play them (I'm sorry Samus, but you just got nerfed too hard...).

On the other hand, I don't like playing as Meta Knight simply because he feels like an autowin button. Snake at least requires skill and mindgames to play really well, but Meta seems to just be spamming B, Fair, Ftilt, and UpB (while I know there's a lot more to him, this seems to be the majority of his moveset). In other words, I want to play someone that won't hurt my game, but also won't give me an unfair advantage.

I play Lucario, Diddy Kong, and Dedede (and occasionally Samus and Marth), and am thinking of trying Wolf, Zelda, G&W, Snake, Pit, and maybe Mario.

@Joshgrrr:
The reason why tiers change is because people are constantly finding things that change, no matter how slightly, that character plays. But they're still just small changes, so you'll probably never see Meta Knight go down to bottom tier (unless he gets banned ^^). Though, Meta may step down a notch or two, simply because now he is by far the most popular character in competetive play, meaning people have likely already found most, if not all of his AT's. On the other hand, someone like Diddy Kong could have a lot of untapped potential, and may creep up the tier list once it becomes discovered (this is just an example, mind you).

Roymyboy284

Smash Journeyman
I played as Falco in Melee. I didn't care what tier he was. But now I main Sonic. Now it kind of grinds my gears whenever everyone says "SONIC IS TEH LOW TIER LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!". For me, if my character is highor mid tier I don't care, but if he's low tier, I care.

Giga Wario

Smash Journeyman
I don't give a **** about tiers.
Don't let them control your main people. Just use who you're best with.

Although myself..... I don't have a main...

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
While i wish it weren't so, link is in the bottom 5 (most likely) but at this point i really dont care. If link somehow got up to high tier because he started winning alot of tournaments, it wouldn't affect me at all anyways. Im eager to see how low link will be actually ^_^

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
There is one advantage to your character being low tier.

If you are low tier and you beat a snake,MK, marth, ect. then you get to see the look on their faces when they think they had an auto win on you and they lose.

Priceless.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
There is one advantage to your character being low tier.

If you are low tier and you beat a snake,MK, marth, ect. then you get to see the look on their faces when they think they had an auto win on you and they lose.

Priceless.
Already has happened when i whoop high tiers on sbr. The feel of winning with Link is priceless (though i wish id win more with him <.<). Link is turning out to be the kind of character with a weak basic game but has alot of tricks up his sleeve ^_^.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
You play the character your best with and/or have the most fun with.

For me, If my character mains turn out to be high tier I'm disappointed because
1) People will complain in friendlies
2) Tournaments will begin to be overrun by my character, and as a result people will know exactly what to do against my character from all the practice they get.

(For instance, I almost mained Metaknight and then I found it was top tier, and went to my first tournament where like 12 people had metaknights out of the 16 I saw - so long story short, screw playing as Metaknight).

Although, when you play against people familiar with your character, it is definitely helpful for your gameplay. Because of that, I'd prefer if my character was Upper Tier to start out, but seldom used or noticed for its ability and therefore moving down in the tiers while I rake in the pleasures.

PhithLeico

Smash Cadet
I don't really care for tiers. If I only used high tier characters, I'd use characters that I'd never use otherwise. I'm a Zelda fan, and I really don't care if she's in the Middle Tier. I'm good with her, and that's what matters to me. It was kinda funny to see Shiek on a lower tier, though.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I don't care about tiers. Mario is my main and I play best with him and enjoy it. I also use Luigi as my back up along with Pit and don't care what tier they fall into.

~rh

Smash Lord
I don't care about tiers. Mario is my main and I play best with him and enjoy it. I also use Luigi as my back up along with Pit and don't care what tier they fall into.
random:

I really have respect for Mario players. All of those who I've encountered play Mario cause he's just the coolest mother****er in the game, or cause he's their first character they played with as a kid.

I'm sure if he was bottom tier he would be played by the same people.

~Mario Loyalty

Top Bottom