• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Actually, how would you all design a hypothetical Pass 3 (yeah I know I'm doing this as Sora is coming out and speculation is literally over) with the constraints of the game's code for the remaining fighters and stage. You have 4 character slots and 2 stage slots (remember, that last slot gets used in other menus, so it's technically a used spot).

I think mine would be:

1. Crash Bandicoot with N'Sanity Beach as a stage
2. Akira Howard with Neo Tokyo as a stage
3. Dixie Kong with DK music
4. Waluigi because I need to throw his fans a bone and I've got one last open character only slot for that
Mine would be, in order of hypothetical reveal:
  1. Nahobino with SMTV Stage (opener, decent hype, promotional, SMT is a new series)
  2. Waluigi because he's popular and doesn't require a stage.
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee because he is also popular and doesn't require a stage (could come with more Kirby music though)
  4. Dante with a DMC3 Stage (the pass sinker right here)
Overall a more lowkey pass that would cost little for Nintendo in addition to what they already have.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Mario's down B in general is such a strange move for what is supposedly a beginner friendly character. A chargeable move that doesn't do any damage but is a powerful windbox, something that's really only good if you've a pretty solid understanding of the game already. Rarely ever sees use by people new to the series compared to something like Kirby Stone lol.
Honestly, I get what they're trying for: it's not just a shoutout to Sunshine, it's a move that compliments Cape and to give another method of controlling stage to a character that doesn't have much range beyond Fireball really.

Think the main issue is that it only deals damage indirectly - which is exactly contrary to the immediate reward most would expect out of beginner friendly characters like Mario. Still though, holy **** does FLUDD do a lot of work once one gets used to it (Shameless MockRock promoting, I know).

Actually, how would you all design a hypothetical Pass 3 (yeah I know I'm doing this as Sora is coming out and speculation is literally over) with the constraints of the game's code for the remaining fighters and stage. You have 4 character slots and 2 stage slots (remember, that last slot gets used in other menus, so it's technically a used spot).

I think mine would be:

4. Waluigi because I need to throw his fans a bone and I've got one last open character only slot for that
4 fighters and 2 stages huh?

1. Tails.
2. Ring Fit with Dragaux's Stadium as stage.
3. BWD with additional music.
4. Gordon Freeman with Black Mesa as a stage. Or alternatively Anti-Mage (Dota 2) with Roshan's Pit as a stage.

Just a few more hours until 5 million Sora players hop online only to get obliterated and drop the character
It's going to be interesting to see if the Sora playerbase sticks around. It's why I'm sharing this as a slight glimpse into long-term playerbases: one guy recorded 300 000 matches* via Spectate Mode back in August 2020, and here are the most popular picks amongst those 100K. 4 out of 5 FP1 characters show up amongst the 25 most popular, 6 months after Byleth's release:

(Edit: thought it was 100 000, the video creator linked below estimates those 300K matches round out to 100K players which is where I got confused)

aug2020.png

Full list timestamped here - :ultbanjokazooie: had a 0,88 % playrate amongst this sample. Lower half of the cast here, but a bit higher than notable cases like :ultfox: and :ultsonic: - who were only on 0,64 % and 0,63% respectively while :ultduckhunt: and :ultsheik: were the least played with 0,28%. I'd love to see a re-run of this partly due to the newcomers since then (:ultsteve: onwards) and since I really wonder if the Min Min playerbase has stuck around. I kinda get the impression that neither Steve nor Kazuya would be that popular, but Sephiroth and Aegis would be.

And while we have to see re: Sora, I personally feel he could wind up in the upper half when it comes to the casual playerbase. He seems to have that crucial simplicity going for him, and if he makes a splash competitively I think that could add momentum to the casual playerbase by the same word of mouth that gave :ultjoker: a helping hand.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's going to be interesting to see if the Sora playerbase sticks around. It's been a bit of a tossup so far - one guy recorded 100 000 matches via Spectate Mode back in August 2020, and here are the most popular picks amongst those 100K. 4 out of 5 FP1 characters show up amongst the 25 most popular, 6 months after Byleth's release:

View attachment 334763

Full list timestamped here - :ultbanjokazooie: had a 0,88 % playrate amongst this sample. Lower half of the cast here, but a bit higher than notable cases like :ultfox: and :ultsonic: - who were only on 0,64 % and 0,63% respectively while :ultduckhunt: and :ultsheik: were the least played with 0,28%. I'd love to see a re-run of this partly due to the newcomers since then (:ultsteve: onwards) and since I really wonder if the Min Min playerbase has stuck around. I kinda get the impression that neither Steve nor Kazuya would be that popular, but Sephiroth and Aegis would be.

And while we have to see re: Sora, I personally feel he could wind up in the upper half when it comes to the casual playerbase. He seems to have that crucial simplicity going for him, and if he makes a splash competitively I think that could add momentum to the casual playerbase by the same word of mouth that gave :ultjoker: a helping hand.
Holy huge sample size, Batman.
What was the process for spectating all those fights? Multiple Switches, I assume? Had to be more than one or even a couple.
EDIT: Checked the video, that's pretty clever.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I think mine would be:

1. Neku with a Shibuya stage and music
2. Elma with a Sylvalum stage and music
3. Octoling with Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion music only
4. Decidueye cuz I should throw their supporters a bone too

toonito

Smash Ace

I think mine would be:

Sol Badguy with Lars Canyon
Crash Bandicoot with N'Sanity Beach
Impa
Waluigi

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m very excited for the Doomguy Mii. It’s great that Doom didn’t miss the boat entirely after all. Hopefully it’ll be reconsidered in a few years.

Though I am disappointed in no Doom music. I’d kill for E1M1, BFG Division, or even The Only Thing They Fear Is You.

Still, it’s a Premium so I really can’t complain.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, if there is one real disappointment with Smash Ultimate character selection, was introducing stuff like Echo Fighters and Deluxe Mii Costumes, and then never really doing them for DLC in the former and only two cases in the latter.

So many Mii Fighter offers would have been immensely improved with better head models and a single music track, but in the end it felt like an underexplored avenue.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I think mine would be:

Here's my "For the People" Pass

1. Chun-Li

/w music from SF and Vs. Capcom series

2. Reimu (for Japan, to balance next one out - also presumably cheap)

/w Hakurei Shrine stage & music

3. Master Chief (make the most of the MS relationship while you've got it, also token megaton)

/w Blood Gulch or Installation 04 or some stage & music

4. Waluigi

/w much resentment from Sakurai and a single new remix of Waluigi Pinball

Now my personal pass, well there'd probably be more Isaac, for a start

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, I wouldn’t compare the Isaac fan base to the geno fan base just yet.

For one, Isaac and his fans did not sit out smash 4. The fact is they have been an active lot which is very different from the Geno fans. Geno fans literally were underground for most of smash 4, seen as a relic of brawl speculation. Isaac fans pushed for him on the ballot and for base game.

The other thing is that Nintendo has revived Advance Wars. I legit was surprised by that. If advance wars came back, Golden Sun is likely gonna come back someday too.

So since he has had consistent smash demand and the field has narrowed, I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays strong. It also helps that Isaac feels much more…feasible than Geno does.
Since I'm now free and can discuss this....

I acknowledge and take pride in the fact that Isaac support hasn't gone away or had major lulls.

And as of now, I wouldn't compare Isaac to Geno.

It's just that I can see the same fate happening to them eventually. I am not confident in a new Golden Sun though it'd be an instant buy if it were revealed. I don't know if Camelot even wants to make a Golden Sun at this point. I know they said so ages ago, but that's the thing. It was ages ago and there's been over a decade with no new game. That kind of thing hurts a fanbase.

It's a bit different from say, K.Rool because while the big guy wasn't making appearances, the DK franchise was still alive and well and the fanbase was still strong. K.Rool got a big boost from the recent DK games being successful, even if he wasn't in them.

I just feel pessimistic for Isaac. I want to be wrong, but outside of a token retro or two, I can't recall a franchise or character being added when the entire franchise was on hiatus. Even if there were large development gaps, there were things being planned.
And these things also affect fandom interest and support.

I dunno. I want to be wrong, but I've lost hope for Isaac.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I think mine would be:

1. The Recruit from Fortnite with the Battle Royale Island as a stage (you can switch between Apollo and Athena)

2. Euden from Dragalia Lost

3. Estelle Bright from Trails

4. Saber from Fate/Stay Night with CHALDEAS as a stage

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
As Sora nears his release and with it comes the end of Ultimate speculation, can I just mention how much I was grinning at this specific portion of the Sakurai Presents?

Since Smashboards isn't letting me upload images, I'll describe it, as it was when Sora's KH3D reader was placed next to Ike's render.

I don't know what it was about it, but I have been so, so used to seeing that same pose on every clickbait article imaginable on Smash Ultimate DLC. I kind of took it as an natural aspect of Smash speculation, especially since Sora was so demanded.

So seeing that same render be displayed in an official Sakurai Presents?

Might be a hot take, but with all those reasons I have stated, I feel as though Sora's render feels even more photoshopped than someone like Steve. He's been in so many fanmods, fan made rosters... basically any fan works, and his official render ends up looking like the ones the clickbait articles showed LOL.

That will always be the funniest thing to me, and honestly?

I love that about Sora. Not since Sonic or Cloud has a character felt THIS surreal, and being able to play him in less than in an hour is even crazier.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord

I think mine would be:

I'm gonna take a different approach and make this the "Echo Pass" that was speculated back in the day.

1. Octoling (Inkling) with Deepsea Metro (Octo Expansion)
2. Shadow (Sonic) with Egg Fleet (Sonic Heroes)
3. Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)
4. Medusa (Palutena)

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
3. Galacta Knight (Meta Knight)
Man, I don't know about this one. I think Dark Meta Knight could make a better echo. Galacta Knight's entire character revolves around being exceedingly strong. Like - that's literally his entire personality - he has nothing else to him sans some lore implications. And as a fighter, he'd obviously need to be, y'know, not that.

I do think he'd make a great boss. Especially as the secret boss of a Melee-style Adventure mode, being summoned by Master Hand and Crazy Hand - one-shotting them and replacing them as the final boss - if you meet the right conditions.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Does anybody else feel that Volume 2 is just...vastly superior to Volume 1 of the DLC?

I was just thinking about it, and like, they totally blew it out of the water. Just wild.
It's so difficult for me to choose one over the other because FP2 had some really cool choices that probably appeal to me more than FP1, but FP1 gave me a new main sooooo

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Terry kind of just carries the first pass for me (:ultgreninja:'d.) Hero's alright, Banjo absolutely deserves it but he's not my cup of tea, I don't care too much for Persona and thus Joker by extension, and Byleth is Byleth.

This one, though? At its best - Steve, Sephiroth, and Kazuya, it's downright awesome with some of the coolest fighters on the roster.
And at its "worst" (for me, and by worst I mean only slightly less awesome) - Min Min, Aegis, and Sora, it still brought banger fighters that had more than enough reason to be there, and plenty to bring to the table.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually, another thought.

Isn't Sora essentially THE Scrimblo McJRPG guy pick? He's like the perfect combination between the two and should be able to bridge the gap among the two very divided families.
Twitter came to this conclusion like Day 2 of his reveal. :nifty: You gotta catch up with the times, man.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There's no reason Waluigi would go the way of Geno because he's never going to have less going for him than now. They're not going to start leaving him out of games. If anything he'll just become more and more prominent given the surge of popularity lately. The only difference for Waluigi's status in the next game will be that he'll have been in more games. Isaac grows less relevant each smash, and Waddle Dee has never had a role as important as Return to Dream Land since. His role in the new Kirby game could be make or break for next smash. It's hard to say on either of them. But Waluigi is definitely not going anywhere.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's no reason Waluigi would go the way of Geno because he's never going to have less going for him than now. They're not going to start leaving him out of games. If anything he'll just become more and more prominent given the surge of popularity lately. The only difference for Waluigi's status in the next game will be that he'll have been in more games. Isaac grows less relevant each smash, and Waddle Dee has never had a role as important as Return to Dream Land since. His role in the new Kirby game could be make or break for next smash. It's hard to say on either of them. But Waluigi is definitely not going anywhere.
Just because you're "less relevant" in your series, or you haven't had a game in a while, doesn't mean you're all of a sudden not going to be a popular want for Smash Bros. fans. Isaac won't die, Geno won't die, Bandana Dee won't die, and of course Waluigi won't die.

:angryrool:

I mean, look at him. You're gonna look at the prime example and suddenly go back to how people thought before he was revealed?

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
We're looking at another twenty-two minutes. I said it before but if you can't wait for your Switch to pick up on it itself, do a hard power off before the clock hits 9PM ET, and power it back on once it does. That'll get you through "You are using the latest version of this software" quite a bit faster.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I think mine would be:

If Mii costumes and post-launch spirits are on the table...

1. Impa, specifically the Age of Calamity version - it's been twenty years since we've gotten a new, unique Zelda character in Smash.
2. Dante from the Devil May Cry series, with the Qliphoth Roots from Devil May Cry 5 as a stage
3. Doomguy from DOOM, with U.A.C. Mars Base as a stage
4. Geno from Super Mario RPG, with music from that game (as much as I'd like to see Bowser's Keep as a stage, if two stages is the limit, then I've got to give them to the new series)

If Mii costumes aren't options (I don't see why post-launch spirits wouldn't be)...

1. Impa (same reasoning as before)
2. Kunio-Kun (with Reiho Academy Rooftop as a stage - someone more familiar with the character could likely pick a better one, but I've only played River City Ransom. I figure there should be at least one side-scrolling beat-em-up character in Smash, and the amount of games based around this franchise honestly came as a surprise to me when that NES collection came out)
3. Dr. Eggman (it seems weird that we haven't gotten a second Sonic character yet)
4. Crash Bandicoot (with N. Sanity Beach as a stage)

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Does anybody else feel that Volume 2 is just...vastly superior to Volume 1 of the DLC?

I was just thinking about it, and like, they totally blew it out of the water. Just wild.
Absolutely. Not only are there more competitively viable characters but they had better reveals, franchises and my personal favs in Kazuya, Sephiroth, Pyra and now Sora. Edited because smashboards.com/lagginglikeamofo

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Fighter's Pass 2 had more franchises that I already loved.

ARMS
Final Fantasy
Xenoblade
Kingdom Hearts

As well as Minecraft and Tekken, two franchises I don't love, but I like well enough.

But Fighter's Pass 1 got me to try more franchises out, which I will always be thankful for.

It got me to try Persona and Dragon Quest and it got me to really dig into King of Fighters.

I'm glad for all of the characters honestly. Even Byleth because I love how they feel to play. So strong and so much range. I really dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom