• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So I realized something earlier.

I believe it was said at some point that license holders have to approve of the actions of the game happening to their respective characters.

One of those things is Snake’s grabs and pummel.

Disney had to approve of Solid Snake choking Sora out (and then combo into up tilt) and Kazuya’s special throw where Sora would be Sparta kicked into oblivion.

Incredible.
I mean

Sora literally stabs himself in the chest in KH1.

There's no blood or gore, but he does stab himself with a Keyblade that pretty much just looks like an actual sword.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And then they proceed to add maybe six games off of your list and replace the rest with games you've never heard of before from different developers.
Well...I cant argue with the evidence.

One of the worst seems like a bit much. Pretty sure Virtual Boy or WiiU are overall much worse.
I don't consider the VB to be a generation. It's a side project.

But yes, the Wii U lineup is probably the only one that's worse.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As for NSO talk...

Eh, I can live without it. The only Genesis game I'd want is Mean Bean, 'cause I don't need those Classic Sonic games when I already own Mega Collection and Gems and can emulate them on my Steam Deck later in December lol.

As for the N64 games...

I mean, they're cool, I appreciate them, but I already own them and have access to much better versions of them through fan ports (Mario 64 on the PC fork of Render96) or can emulate better versions of them (OoT and MM on Citra). I just don't personally have a reason to go for it, especially after hearing the AC stuff is only gonna be a rental.

I think if you're someone who doesn't have access to these games already and you want to pay for them legit, I think the value is...fine. Especially if you're an avid AC player who's gonna get access to the DLC. But IMHO I don't think Sega Genesis and N64 were the absolute best consoles to go for to incentivize a steep price increase, I think tossing in at least GB through GBA woulda helped soften the blow a ton, and also not starting N64's selection out so lean when it comes to titles on offer.

I probably will pick up the service sometime next year, but only after they add some of the more hard to find stuff, like some of the obscure 3rd party stuff the N64 had. That would make me grab it, but as it stands, I already have multiple, and I do mean multiple ways of playing what they're offering. There's no reason for me to drop that much cash when the service's base offerings are suiting me just fine ATM.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I hope they update the voice actor for Zero Suit Samus in the next game. The current one is fine but now we have an actual new person to replace it and I like how they portrayed the character a lot. inb4 it's another union-based voice actor

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean

Sora literally stabs himself in the chest in KH1.

There's no blood or gore, but he does stab himself with a Keyblade that pretty much just looks like an actual sword.
More than anything I'm concerned that he managed to muster up enough strength to shove a blunt key through his chest/gut/Wherever he did the deed

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
God the KH3 costume Sora really is baby huh.

I love it.
The KH3 costume on KH1 sora just made me realize how bad KH3 Sora's facial and hair redesign is, how the **** they made him look like a Sora cosplayer in KH3, when KH1 is the one cosplaying him here.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know this is technically for speculation but we didn't listen half the time and just plugged anyway so here's a cool little indie project I've been looking at recently
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunaticosproductions/project-soul-star
Kingdom Hearts-inspired action RPG. Hits a couple notes of what I was planning, so it caught my interest. There's also a demo for you to check out; I was gonna play that to see what it's like and then bring it up in here but turns out my less-than-potato laptop can't even run that (Then again, it can't even run Ys Seven, so what was I really expecting) so you'll have to try it out for yourself

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
BTW, even though this reply is super late:

Now that it's over, I guess I can safely say one thing tho lmao. Nintendo was sending fake ass name for every DLC to their employee, which is why jack** leaked post Steve. Ya, the same fake ass name **, and MC was one of them alongside MH and Akira from Astral Chain for exemple for Sora.
I think it's interesting that you say this while mentioning that you have connections to an insider. I had pieced together on my own that Nintendo was engaging in these sort of antics and had made a fairly detailed post about it a while back when we were discussing how the Rapper Mario leak was a bunch of BS. Though most of the others in the thread dismissed the idea as crazy at the time. And Sora actually fits the conditions I describe in that post perfectly.

Granted I ended up missing the mark laying down the chips on my prediction for exactly who the final character was, though Sora does still fulfill a business motive I touch upon in that effortpost; cutting into a third party IP's degree of exclusivity on the consoles of Nintendo's direct competitors.

media_E8L8fAXXoAMUGqz.jpg?name=orig.jpg

Square Enix, along with Disney for that matter, is also absent from the list of companies that fake leak mentions.

Okay FINE!

Final Fantasy DoS, 4, 5, 6, Tactics Advance
Castlevania CotM, HoD, AoS
Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission
Pokemon R/S, FR/LG
Zelda Minish Cap
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Mega Man Zero 1-4
Mega Man & Bass
Kirby AM, NiD
F-Zero
Super Mario Advance 1-4
Mario Kart SC
Mario & Luigi SS
Wario Land 3, 4
Gunstar Heroes
Astro Boy
Drill Dozer
Ninja Five-0

Well...Mario Kart.
Not to mention the DKC trilogy ports, the Sonic Advance trilogy, Bomberman Tournament, the first Ace Attorney, & Final Fight One.

Tangentially related, but man the GBA would have been a solid system for Konami do have done remakes for the first two Metal Gear games on.
All this combined list needs to be perfect are the Mega Man Battle Network games. I would add the Boktai games as well but I have no idea how you would even attempt to implement the solar sensor on a VC service.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I think it's interesting that you say this while mentioning that you have connections to an insider. I had pieced together on my own that Nintendo was engaging in these sort of antics and had made a fairly detailed post about it a while back when we were discussing how the Rapper Mario leak was a bunch of BS. Though most of the others in the thread dismissed the idea as crazy at the time. And Sora actually fits the conditions I describe in that post perfectly.

Granted I ended up missing the mark laying down the chips on my prediction for exactly who the final character was, though Sora does still fulfill a business motive I touch upon in that effortpost; cutting into a third party IP's degree of exclusivity on the consoles of Nintendo's direct competitors.

Square Enix, along with Disney for that matter, is also absent from the list of companies that fake leak mentions.
The reason people dismissed it wasn’t because of the possibility of Nintendo engaging in sending fake names as leakbait for their employees, that’s a known thing, it was because of the suggestion that they were among the community pretending to be leakers and mixing in real information.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

All this combined list needs to be perfect are the Mega Man Battle Network games. I would add the Boktai games as well but I have no idea how you would even attempt to implement the solar sensor on a VC service.
Nah, me having connection is a known thing here, I was in that ****storm of fake leakers, doxxing real leakers, abusing others for information and other **** like that. I just decided to keep quiet once it was done. And never wanted to touch the leaking stuff ever again.
People are crazy and driven by clout, never again.
Didn't mean I didn't hear anything, just that, I never wanted to touch it. again.

Now that smash ultimate was done, I just decided to explain why for more than a year, I told you guys we wouldn't have any real leak for smash.
It's because of this fake name list thing. It was happening again and again for every fighters.

Thanks Harada and the Tekken team for that, they're the one who came up with that.

Nothing more, nothing else dude. I was just someone who has a friend with connection, who got in too much trouble because of people wanting clout.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
The reason people dismissed it wasn’t because of the possibility of Nintendo engaging in sending fake names as leakbait for their employees, that’s a known thing, it was because of the suggestion that they were among the community pretending to be leakers and mixing in real information.
Could have still been someone higher up the chain that posted it regardless. Or perhaps even on the SE or Disney side of things. Perhaps I should had emphasized that caveat?

Nah, me having connection is a known thing here, I was in that *storm of fake leakers, doxxing real leakers, abusing others for information and other * like that. I just decided to keep quiet once it was done. And never wanted to touch the leaking stuff ever again.
People are crazy and driven by clout, never again.
Didn't mean I didn't hear anything, just that, I never wanted to touch it. again.

Now that smash ultimate was done, I just decided to explain why for more than a year, I told you guys we wouldn't have any real leak for smash.
It's because of this fake name list thing. It was happening again and again for every fighters.

Thanks Harada and the Tekken team for that, they're the one who came up with that.

Nothing more, nothing else dude. I was just someone who has a friend with connection, who got in too much trouble because of people wanting clout.
That so? I haven't been here that long so I wouldn't have known that, but thank you for informing me.

And that does sound like a very Harada thing to do. Who knows, maybe he made the Rapper Mario leak as well.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Could have still been someone higher up the chain that posted it regardless. Or perhaps even on the SE or Disney side of things. Perhaps I should had emphasized that caveat?

That so? I haven't been here that long so I wouldn't have known that, but thank you for informing me.

And that does sound like a very Harada thing to do. Who knows, maybe he made the Rapper Mario leak as well.
I don’t understand though, there’s a difference between baiting your employees to know which one can’t be trusted in order to protect real information, and leaking real information/baiting your customers yourself.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
I don’t understand though, there’s a difference between baiting your employees to know which one can’t be trusted in order to protect real information, and leaking real information/baiting your customers yourself.
The difference is that it would be to protect against outsiders peeking in rather than insiders sneaking out. A lightning rod of sorts just in case something in the vein of the SNK leak happened again despite precautions.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I hope they update the voice actor for Zero Suit Samus in the next game. The current one is fine but now we have an actual new person to replace it and I like how they portrayed the character a lot.
For that one whole line she speaks? :p

I like how none of us mentioned Golden Sun.

Take that Isaac fans! :p

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That probably explains some things.

“Leak bait” as it’s called has been a pretty commonly-discussed concept throughout speculation, with concrete instances tracing back to The Game Awards 2018 (where Nintendo “leaked” a Metroid Prime Trilogy reveal to insiders only to reveal Joker for Smash) and earlier (see: Star Fox Grand Prix).

It’s by no means a new concept. In fact, it’s been a pretty common tactic of theirs to dissuade wannabe leakers and weed out untrustworthy employees.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The difference is that it would be to protect against outsiders peeking in rather than insiders sneaking out. A lightning rod of sorts just in case something in the vein of the SNK leak happened again despite precautions.
The SNK “leak” was a mistake on their part though because they messed up with the website, leaking it themself accidentally; outsiders can’t peek in unless they mess up, an insider/friend of an insider leaks legitimate info, or are the insider’s friend themself.

The leakbait thing is in an attempt to stop the insiders. Making orders to do it to outsiders too seems like it’d be pointless and increase risk of real leaks.

They can’t prevent us from peeking in anyway if they’re unsuccessful with the insiders.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So

1 day to go now.

I'm excited.
I'm beyond excited.
More than Half of my life, dreaming as a kid that a character, that I saw as a friend as a kid and have a personal emotional attach to, will join the fray in my favorite series of game?
I still think I'm ****ing dreaming, this can't be true lmao. Ain't believing it until I turn the game on and don't see Cinderace or Jonesy

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
The SNK “leak” was a mistake on their part though because they messed up with the website, leaking it themself accidentally; outsiders can’t peek in unless they mess up, an insider/friend of an insider leaks legitimate info, or are the insider’s friend themself.

The leakbait thing is in an attempt to stop the insiders. Making orders to do it to outsiders too seems like it’d be pointless and increase risk of real leaks.
These are good points. Which is why for this to work that post would have had to come higher up the chain from someone like, say, Harada. Remember that the Rapper Mario leak isn't written the same way these leaks, real or fake, typically are. It's structured in a specific way to mislead people into believing that CP11 in particular is Pheonix Wright. If as Nekoo Nekoo says the constant fake characters as leakbait was Harada's idea then I wouldn't put it past him to also make his own fake 4chan leak to keep people off the scent of Sora.

That probably explains some things.

“Leak bait” as it’s called has been a pretty commonly-discussed concept throughout speculation, with concrete instances tracing back to The Game Awards 2018 (where Nintendo “leaked” a Metroid Prime Trilogy reveal to insiders only to reveal Joker for Smash) and earlier (see: Star Fox Grand Prix).

It’s by no means a new concept. In fact, it’s been a pretty common tactic of theirs to dissuade wannabe leakers and weed out untrustworthy employees.
Yeah, I first encountered you postings after that post of mine on the Rapper Mario leak. I've been reading through your essays one by one in some of my downtime. You're definitely very thorough in your writings.

Since you're the most seasoned speculator here, constructive criticism? How would you rate my first at bat?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
These are good points. Which is why for this to work that post would have had to come higher up the chain from someone like, say, Harada. Remember that the Rapper Mario leak isn't written the same way these leaks, real or fake, typically are. It's structured in a specific way to mislead people into believing that CP11 in particular is Pheonix Wright. If as Nekoo Nekoo says the constant fake characters as leakbait was Harada's idea then I wouldn't put it past him to also make his own fake 4chan leak to keep people off the scent of Sora.

Yeah, I first encountered you postings after that post of mine on the Rapper Mario leak. I've been reading through your essays one by one in some of my downtime. You're definitely very thorough in your writings.

Since you're the most seasoned speculator here, constructive criticism? How would you rate my first at bat?
Again, you're reaching way beyond what is needed lmao.
Harada/Tekken's team used this tactics for their own game's DLC
It then happened for Smash Ultimate Fighter pass 2, with only Minmin and Steve leaking like a day/10 min/30 min before their reveal.

The Mario leak was just some random 4chan leak like MILLIONS exist and existed during Ultimate or any smash game lifetime. Not Harada's idea.

Shroob

Sup?

I mean

If it helps you sleep better at night to believe that Rapper Mario was written by Harada for some reason, then... go for it, I guess?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
How's about this for some constructive criticism. One from months ago
Yes, I've heard of that technique, but I think the one we should be paying more attention to is one called "Occam's razor."
Also ,stop being attached to this fake leak. It is kinda pathetic to see someone try to make up reasons as to why or how it could come from a place of even remote credibility.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Also

There's 1 thing about Rapper Mario we need to remember

It was posted in what, January? It said that Sakurai had already filmed CP11's presentation and even quoted him, going so far as to make mention of certain gestures that he had pulled off.

But we knew in June that he hadn't even filmed Kazuya's.

Sooooo, seems like a kinda **** "Oh, we're trying to mislead you!" leak when Sakurai admitted himself that he hadn't even gotten Kazuya's presentation done in time for E3 of that year, and I can be pretty confident that they record these in-order. Like, what would be the point of trying to 'misguide' us for 6 months, on a post that got 0 attention until months later, and then for Sakurai to more or less debunk the post in June?

Seems like a ridiculous amount of logical leaps one needs to take to come to the conclusion that "Harada did it!" Like, if Rapper Mario had been a BIG talking point from its inception, but it remained completely obscure for like, 7 months, and by the time it had gained traction, it was already debunked by something Sakurai himself said.

I'm sorry, but this is dumb to try to pin Rapper Mario on a Nintendo Exec or Harada, it was just a dumb 4chan leak, and we've gotten hundreds of those.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I guess I have a hard time relating to the NSO being high. I understand intellectually why it is high, but it ends up being less than five dollars a month for games that I would have to purchase for more than five dollars at a vintage gaming store, paid more than five dollars back on the Wii VC days or would have to get an unofficial or illegal fan made port that just isn’t the same. So while everyone’s points are valid, especially when compared to competitors or piracy options, I will happily give Nintendo my money. My chief criticism though is that there is not a monthly subscription option. I think marketing this at $4.17 a month would cool off a few reactions.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Looks like I won't be able to beat Kingdom Hearts 2 before Sora comes out haha. (I had less time this week than I expected; I only managed to beat Timeless River and the first part of Port Royal) Still, I'll play what I can of the game today and tomorrow morning.

I'm surprised that Sora isn't going to have many spirit battles - I get that 13's a recurring number in the Kingdom Hearts franchise (between the five fighter spirits and the eight battles on the spirit board), but unless Riku (or Terra? I haven't played Birth By Sleep, but I'm aware that something similar happens to him) can be enhanced, I'm surprised that there aren't any Xehanort spirits, and no Organization XIII spirits beyond Roxas, Xion, and Axel.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The Wii U's first-party library is fantastic, even if a lot of that has gotten either a sequel or a port for the Switch.
Couple that with a strong VC library, Wii game support, and if you hack it - which is extremely easy - GameCube game support, and you have an extremely worthwhile system, even today.
You can find one second-hand for maybe $200 or so if you're lucky, and the value there is kind of insane compared to the Switch.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I guess I have a hard time relating to the NSO being high. I understand intellectually why it is high, but it ends up being less than five dollars a month for games that I would have to purchase for more than five dollars at a vintage gaming store, paid more than five dollars back on the Wii VC days or would have to get an unofficial or illegal fan made port that just isn’t the same. So while everyone’s points are valid, especially when compared to competitors or piracy options, I will happily give Nintendo my money. My chief criticism though is that there is not a monthly subscription option. I think marketing this at $4.17 a month would cool off a few reactions.
Thing is that there's a lot of issues. Like, the only 64 game in there I'd want to try is Sin and Punishment and Paper Mario, everything else I already have, don't like or there's a better version available. Plus, Nintendo has given no reason to expect this to actually be decent as they're still dripfeeding and they changed it from 'new games every month' to 'new games when we feel like it' and here we are, years later from the NSO launch with a mere fraction of games, there's no reason why every Nintendo game on NES isn't on there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom