• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If anything, Sakurai mentioning Sora's ballot support tells me even more that the ballot screwed over Geno, with his lack of popularity at the time.
I would say this was also a big factor, and something that's gone understated in part due to the recent revisionist history we've been seeing with Smash 4 Speculation and early Ultimate Speculation.

The fact is that Geno had little to no fan support during Smash 4 Speculation and didn't really rise to prominence until after Ridley and K. Rool were already revealed, when people realized that 2/3s of Brawl's "Holy Trinity" had gotten in and started clamoring for the third. This was likely far too late for them to make any significant impact in regard to the roster, given that Pass 1 had already been decided and Pass 2 was pulled together from previous concepts and negotiations.

We know now that Ballot turnout was a huge consideration for characters in Ultimate, so Geno's relatively weak Ballot turnout probably hurt him far more than people say.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm gonna admit something. This may sound weird but uh...

The moment I saw Krystal got offed as an assist trophy right when Ultimate was announced was honestly kinda the moment I figured the likes of Isaac and Geno were probably gonna suffer the same fate. I guess it's just because I've always viewed them all in the same light, popular Smash candidates but not really that popular if you catch my drift.

The funny thing is out of the three, Geno is probably the least significant one. At least Isaac was the main character of his debut game and appeared in the other two GS games, and at least Krystal was a reoccuring character in all of the Star Fox games released from 2002-2006. So if those two couldn't make it, as well as other "smaller" characters like Waluigi or Ashley who have at least continued to be reoccuring characters in their own series, then I kinda don't think a one-off party member from an over 20 year old game had a very good chance.

I think in a lot of ways, Geno is an example of just how "too small" a fan request can be.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
If anything, Sakurai mentioning Sora's ballot support tells me even more that the ballot screwed over Geno, with his lack of popularity at the time.
The Geno base has no one to blame but itself in that regard. For such a large and devoted base, it sure picked a very inconvenient whole console lifespan to take a collective nap. You don't see any other character support base grumble about this.

And I'd rather not gloss over the fact that the ballot saved far more characters than it "screwed" over. Without it, they wouldn't have gone with their "Everyone is Here" route, or finally recognized King K. Rool, or gone through the trouble of adding so many spirits and Assist Trophies of characters that people really just wanted to see in Smash in some form.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The Geno base has no one to blame but itself in that regard. For such a large and devoted base, it sure picked a very inconvenient whole console lifespan to take a collective nap. You don't see any other character support base grumble about this.

And I'd rather not gloss over the fact that the ballot saved far more characters than it "screwed" over. Without it, they wouldn't have gone with their "Everyone is Here" route, or finally recognized King K. Rool, or gone through the trouble of adding so many spirits and Assist Trophies of characters that people really just wanted to see in Smash in some form.
Honestly another thing that's gone understated is that K. Rool fans went hard in the ballot, to the point where it's near confirmed that even Nintendo Executives were surprised at how big he was. They legitimately just didn't know, and were shocked to see him do so well.

The Ballot forced Nintendo to wake up to a lot of popular fan requests, but unfortunately Geno seemed to underperform, which might have doomed him more than anything else.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly another thing that's gone understated is that K. Rool fans went hard in the ballot, to the point where it's near confirmed that even Nintendo Executives were surprised at how big he was. They legitimately just didn't know, and were shocked to see him do so well.

The Ballot forced Nintendo to wake up to a lot of popular fan requests, but unfortunately Geno seemed to underperform, which might have doomed him more than anything else.
The ballot closed in what, October 2015? And Geno’s costume was revealed in 4’s final presentation in December that same year

so nobody else could vote Geno after the costume reveal. It really was too little, too late

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
imagine if Geno ends up in Chocobo Racing (with mallow and other Mario RPG stuff) instead of Smash..

btw, I agree that Geno did well enough in the ballot to get a mii costume but not extraordinary to make it into a fighter like King K Rool, Sora and rest.

Remember, we only got 7 original newcomers (+ 5 echoes), less than half than Brawl (16+2 clones*) and 3DS/WiiU (15 + 2 echoes). Almost comparable to Melee (8 + 6 clones)

*At the time, Wolf and Toon Link were considered clones and last minute additions.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well I figured I'd come back and post one last time before they close up shop on these threads and it inevitably splinters a community. I've admittedly been too busy to really speculate and had just found myself spending time with other things and hobbies, but I was always on the lookout for the next announcement. And well, I was actually afraid I was going to miss this announcement. For reference, I have seen every Smash announcement live except for Joker (because I was you know, driving to pick up Ultimate when TGAs 2018 were going on) since Villager first popped up in 2013. Smash has been with me for so long and I was really afraid I was going to miss this final announcement because I was traveling to another country on a long flight and that was just going to be the most disappointing reality and end to all of this to have to go online and just see who it was as a basic image and text. It just felt so anti-climactic to what has been an incredible 8 years of my life centered on Smash.

As I was worried about this, I realized I had the time zone changes on my side and that it might just work out for me to see it live. So while I was handling a million things, trying to get my bags, a taxi to my hotel, etc. I was keeping Smash in my mind. And I managed to make it just in time to check in and hop on to Wi-Fi only to realize I had the announcement off by an hour and I was actually early to it.

But I waited, and then Sakurai came on and I was reminded how much I hoped he'd go all out with a bonus character or some crazy announcement of more than just one final challenger pack. I didn't want this to be the end of the journey I'd put so much of my life into, both 100s of hours playing and 100s speculating and talking with communities. I didn't know how to say goodbye at all to this game and I always wanted a Fighter's Pass 3 so seeing Sakurai's confirmation this was it always stung. This series, and Ultimate in particular had been a source of light and joy in my life. At one point I think Ultimate coming out later in the year might have genuinely kept me going when I was in a really bad depression. It just meant so much to me and always has.

And then the trailer started and I was ready for disappointment. Not that Bayonetta was disappointing 6 years ago (far far from it for me), but I was just ready to see Smash end on a more lowkey note that couldn't satisfy my increasing wild expectations of the crossover doing impossible stuff. A diminishing return that had to run out eventually and probably would after the crazy inclusions of Steve, Sephiroth, and Kazuya already in the pass. And then...I genuinely freaked out when I saw the Keyblade followed by the Mickey Mouse ear key chain. In my hotel room in another country, I'm sure the "holy ****, no way" must have sounded absurd to these strangers, but I couldn't contain myself. Kingdom Hearts I enjoyed what I played in the past, but it wasn't for me I was freaking out, it was for everyone else that had wanted him and how impossible it was to get him in. Sora represented the bridge too far that I didn't fully think even Sakurai could pull off and while I think I was perhaps more optimistic about it than most people, I still didn't think it was going to happen. Sephiroth felt like the nail in the coffin, the consolation prize for negotiations that didn't work out. Was that based on any sort of reality other than an incorrect gut feeling? Absolutely not. But it just didn't feel like it was going to happen and beyond my wildest dreams for this franchise and for the dreams of so many, it did, and I loved it. It was the part of Smash I loved through and through. The one that could surprise and delight me, the one that pushed the boundaries of what was possible and who could suddenly be crossing over. It made me so damn happy to see Sora included.

And for all that, Sakurai did the impossible one last time for me personally. He taught me to say goodbye to all of this by going this route. He gave me an end that I will always remember and adore no matter what the future holds. Bringing in the true ballot winner brought everything full circle and Sora was an absolutely hell of a get to end this almost decade long commitment with. I went from being terrified and disappointed at saying goodbye, to absolutely able to because of how he handled this ending. It felt right and it felt amazing.

Now do I indeed still want to see Crash and Master Chief be hype bombs, do I want to see Astral Chain get a chance as a first party, and is all of this incredibly overblown and cheesy? Yes, yes, and OH absolutely. But it meant a lot to me and made me feel an acceptance at the end of this journey and I loved it. I loved playing Smash and speculating, and I loved all the wonderful and interesting people I met along the way. I may not be the most common poster here these days, but thanks for everything and being such a valuable part of that journey too.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Decided to buy kingdom hearts and give it a go due to sora getting in and so far I wanna say it’s okay, nothing special

It kinda suffers though in the same way as sonic unleashed did. The music is non stop every time you bump into an enemy. Does it get worse or am I to except the constant music every time.

for anyone who’s played the game is there a way to stop this game from giving motion sickness. Keep getting motion sickness from it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
There were some concerns about N64 Online being 50 hertz in Europe when it was announced, but today, Nintendo of Europe came out and confirmed N64 Online will be 60 hertz in Europe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There were some concerns about N64 Online being 50 hertz in Europe when it was announced, but today, Nintendo of Europe came out and confirmed N64 Online will be 60 hertz in Europe.

My biggest concern is how much more it’ll cost

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Decided to buy kingdom hearts and give it a go due to sora getting in and so far I wanna say it’s okay, nothing special

It kinda suffers though in the same way as sonic unleashed did. The music is non stop every time you bump into an enemy. Does it get worse or am I to except the constant music every time.

for anyone who’s played the game is there a way to stop this game from giving motion sickness. Keep getting motion sickness from it.
I had that issue too when I first played the game, adjusting the camera mode settings worked for me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Speaking of N64 NSO, Shpeshal_Nick says this, which should be a good litmus test for his credibility, considering it's a fairly implausible claim

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I have to imagine if this game was intended for such a nearby timeframe, they wouldn't have passed up capitalizing on it in the Direct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of N64 NSO, Shpeshal_Nick says this, which should be a good litmus test for his credibility, considering it's a fairly implausible claim

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I have to imagine if this game was intended for such a nearby timeframe, they wouldn't have passed up capitalizing on it in the Direct.
Has he made any similar claims of other stuff before? That name does sound familiar

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Has he made any similar claims of other stuff before? That name does sound familiar
He also said we should be seeing more from Nintendo x Microsoft in the fall, which it very much is. And apparently that wasn't in reference to Banjo on NSO. He's mostly Xbox stuff, but from my understanding he's very hit or miss.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't get how Bayonetta could be the most realizable character, though. Is it because she had relevance at the time, so Nintendo felt they weren't taking a risk by adding her over fan favorites who haven't appeared in games in a while like Geno and K. Rool (then)?
It's worth noting we just have no idea what these qualifiers are for most realizable. Bayonetta has basically everything you could need to be realizable from the get go compared to almost every character you could possibly imagine. She's owned by Sega who is already participating in Smash and Nintendo probably honestly owns different facets of her character from Bayonetta 2 and probably has all kinds of clauses in their negotiations with Sega in the past about being able to use different Bayonetta related material. That's the kind of thing you can probably make happen instantly and then you don't have to really always go back and consult Sega too. That makes her more realizable than basically every other third party out there including someone like Geno. Then you have the whole build off a character to make the new one that hurts a lot of more oddly shaped or design heavy characters like say a King K. Rool or Ridley who take considerably more work to be built and are more like building from scratch relative to a humanoid with special animations on attacks.

Then you've also just got the time constraint and the future of Smash. The fact that they rushed into Ultimate at the end of Smash 4's DLC combined with Sakurai's commentary about how that transition went also basically creates two realities. Number one, you don't have forever to make something impressive happen and you need to move quickly in making this character. And number two, whoever doesn't make it up front has a shot of being playable in a few years in the next game.

So then we come back to Bayonetta, who likely did well early on in the ballot and was a "hype pick" as a unique never-ever that they could actually get and implement fairly quickly compared to lots of other options, some of whom just necessitated more work and effort that would be better spent on the next game. Bayonetta was a popular character at the time, but she was largely a never-ever to a lot of people for the game's basic content and I think Nintendo and Sakurai realized that and were willing to give this a reality.

The funny thing is though, for all the people upset, this is still like the best possible reality because we got Bayonetta AND ALL OF ULTIMATE out of it. So what if people got "somewhat misled" along the process (and that is on people for a lack of reading comprehension or expectations of specific satisfaction)? We got the ballot winner in Sora years later, alongside King K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie, Chrom, Dark Samus, Inkling, Simon and Richter Belmont, all kinds of crazy content in Ultimate and OH YEAH, EVERYONE IS HERE as a concept on top of the Bayonetta they put into the game too. It was honestly worth whatever grimacing and "pain" it caused in the long run even if you look at it in the most cynical possible way.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm willing to believe Perfect Dark is coming... Speaking of which it looks a lot like goldeneye I wonder if Rare used the same engine...
I'm willing to believe Perfect Dark is coming... eventually. But within 2021, I'm rather skeptical. Though hey, if I'm wrong, fantastic. It's been forever since I've played that game.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Yes but what he meant is that Smash 4 first party roster elections were based on Wii/DS/Early 3DS era titles:

• Wii Fit Trainer: Wii Fit (2007), Wii Fit Plus (2009), Wii Fit U (2013) [Wii]
  • Little Mac: Punch-Out (2009) [Wii]
  • Rosalina & Luma: Super Mario Galaxy (2007) & 2 (2010) + other titles [Wii]
  • Bowser Jr + Koopalings: NSMBWii (2009) & U (2013) [Wii/WiiU]
  • Palutena, Dark Pit: Kid Icarus Uprising (2012) [3DS]
  • Robin, Lucina: Fire Emblem Awakening (2012) [3DS]
  • Greninja: Pokémon X/Y (2013) [3DS]
  • Villager: Animal Crossing City Folk (2008) & New Leaf (2012) [Wii/3DS]
  • Shulk: Xenoblade Chronicles (2012) [Wii]
  • Mii Fighters: self explanatory lol

But one thing that Smash 4 did it very well and Smash team put lots of focused was giving us lots of stages representing lots of games:
  • 3D Land: Super Mario 3D Land (2011) [3DS]
  • Golden Plains: New Super Mario Bros 2 (2012) [3DS]
  • Rainbow Road: Mario Kart 7 (2011) [3DS]
  • Paper Mario: Paper Mario Sticker Star (2012) [3DS]
  • Gerudo Valley: Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (2011) [3DS]
  • Spirit Train: Zelda Spirit Tracks (2009) [DS]
  • Dream Land: Kirby Dream Land (1992) [GB]
  • Unova League: Pokémon Black/White (2010) [DS]
  • Prism Tower: Pokémon X/Y (2013) [3DS]
  • Mute City: F-Zero (1990) [SNES]
  • Magicant: Earthbound (1994) [SNES]
  • Arena Ferox: Fire Emblem Awakening (2012) [3DS]
  • Reset Bomb Forest: Kid Icarus Uprising (2012) [3DS]
  • Tortimer Island: Animal Crossing New Leaf (2012) [3DS]
  • Boxing Ring: Punch Out (2009) [Wii]
  • Gaur Plains: Xenoblade Chronicles (2010) [Wii]
  • Duck Hunt: Duck Hunt (1985) [NES]
  • Find Mii: Find Mii II (2011) [3DS]
  • Living Room: Nintendogs + Cats (2011) [3DS]
  • Ballon Fight: Ballon Fight (1985) [NES]
  • Pictochat 2: Pictochat (2004) [DS]
  • Tomadochi Life: Tomadochi Life (2013) [3DS]
  • Mario Circuit: Mario Kart 8 (2014) [WiiU]
  • Mario Galaxy: Super Mario Galaxy (2007) [Wii]
  • Mushroom Kingdom U: New Super Mario Bros U (2012) [WiiU]
  • Skyloft: Zelda Skyward Sword (2011) [Wii]
  • Woolly World: Yoshi Woolly World (2015) [WiiU]
  • Jungle Hijinxs: DK Country Return (2010) [Wii]
  • Pyrosphere: Metroid Other M (2010) [Wii]
  • Great Cave Offensive: Kirby Super Star (1996) [SNES]
  • Gamer: Game & Wario (2013) [WiiU]
  • Garden of Hope: Pikmin 3 (2013) [WiiU]
  • Orbital Assault Gate: Star Fox Assault (2005) [Gamecube]
  • Kalos Pokemon League: Pokémon X/Y (2013) [3DS]
  • Town and City: Animal Crossing City Folk (2008) [Wii]
  • Wii Fit Studio: Wii Fit (2007) [Wii]
  • Colisseum: Fire Emblem and the Shadow Dragon (2008) [DS]
  • Wrecking Crew: Wrecking Crew (1985) [NES]
  • Pilotwings: Pilotwings/Pilotwings Resort (1990/2011) [SNES/3DS]
  • Flat Zone X: Game Watch (1980)
  • Palutena’s Temple: Kid Icarus Uprising (2012)[3DS]
  • Wuhu Island: Wii Sports Resort (2009) [Wii]

Smash 4 stages represent 41 different games, mostly from Wii/DS/WiiU/3DS era (13 from 3DS, 5 from WiiU, 9 from Wii and 4 from DS).

Switch era titles has representation of 5 titles (Mario Odyssey, Zelda BOTW, FE 3 Houses, ARMS and Xenoblade 2). Hopefully this will improve for next Smash (Luigis Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword/Shield, Zelda BOTW2, Mario Kart 9 or next 3D Mario, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade 3, Ring Fit, Bayonetta 3 maybe).
This is making me think about the lost potential of stage DLC that we could've had in SSBU. I know that there's pleeeenty of stages in the game already but it was still nice to have it in Sm4sh. There's lots of games that could have followed the Super Mario Maker mold of promoting a new game. For example, a Mystery Dungeon stage would be dope and a great way to promote the PMD: Rescue Team DX remake. What stages would you all want the most in the game if you could add some?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I could accept an additional $10 or $15. Maybe $20. But I feel like anything over the latter would not be preferable, even for a list of very good games with some more good games coming and online multiplayer on the compatible games.
Usually I'm softer on Nintendo than most people but for me if the N64 and Genesis games are locked behind anything higher than an extra $10 that would be pretty damn ridiculous.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the base is $20 annually paying anything above like 50% more just for 64 and Genesis games is something I don't think I can get behind, especially if third-party support continues to be limited. Chuck the Gamecube up there and I'll give you another $20.

I'd also consider going above ten if they added most of the glaring omissions in the NES and SNES catalogues (i.e. the third-party stuff) to the expansion tier, though that'd be kinda shady.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'd also consider going above ten if they added most of the glaring omissions in the NES and SNES catalogues (i.e. the third-party stuff) to the expansion tier, though that'd be kinda shady.
Yeah I've been kinda wondering if they'd do that.

I wouldn't like it, but honestly if it's the only way the missing 'big' games like Mario RPG, Earthbound, the Castlevanias, the Mega Mans, Rare's pre-N64 stuff (Battletoads, Snake Rattle N' Roll, Cobra Triangle, etc), and so on can come to NSO, then so be it.

The fact that we have to pay more for N64/Genesis is probably because Nintendo is trying to get bigger third party stuff on the service, which means they're gonna have to pay more for the licenses. Stuff like Microsoft's N64 Rare games, or well, Genesis as a whole, which includes games that are already on compilations like Contra Hard Corps or Castlevania Bloodlines.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
What stages would you all want the most in the game if you could add some?
I agree that Bowser's Castle is the most glaring omission, but I also think we should've gotten something like the Death Egg, Chemical Plant Zone, or Flying Battery Zone instead of Windy Hill Zone. Something more mechanical to act as juxtaposition against the classic Green Hill stage would've better represented the Sonic franchise's two major themes.

Also, I was heartbroken to hear that Sakurai almost made a Sprout Tower stage for Melee. I wish we got more "2D areas reimagined as 3D stages" anyway, but to have a Gold and Silver stage would've been incredible. And what an inspired, out-there area for him to pick in the first place. Like choosing Great Bay instead of Clock Town. It would've been such a neat and different Pokemon stage.

Also, either Symmetry City from LoZ: Oracle of Ages, or Subrosia Village from Oracle of Seasons. Mainly because it would finally allow us to see areas from those two games in HD 3D...

Ivander

Smash Legend
What stages would you all want the most in the game if you could add some?
-A proper Bowser's Castle
-Homecoming Hijinx from DKC: Tropical Freeze.
-Ultra Space/Ultra Megalopolis for Pokemon Sun & Moon.
-The Cyrkensia Opera House or The Bottomless Canyon from Fire Emblem Fates.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Also, I was heartbroken to hear that Sakurai almost made a Sprout Tower stage for Melee. I wish we got more "2D areas reimagined as 3D stages" anyway, but to have a Gold and Silver stage would've been incredible. And what an inspired, out-there area for him to pick in the first place. Like choosing Great Bay instead of Clock Town. It would've been such a neat and different Pokemon stage.

Also, either Symmetry City from LoZ: Oracle of Ages, or Subrosia Village from Oracle of Seasons. Mainly because it would finally allow us to see areas from those two games in HD 3D...
I wholly agree. Some of my favorite stages are the ones that get to give us a glimpse of an HD game. Stuff like Spirit Train giving a high-quality model of the Spirit Tracks world or Princess Peach's Castle showing us the classic Super Mario 64 castle in its true glory. It'd be so dope if the N64 stages like Saffron City got that treatment.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is making me think about the lost potential of stage DLC that we could've had in SSBU. I know that there's pleeeenty of stages in the game already but it was still nice to have it in Sm4sh. There's lots of games that could have followed the Super Mario Maker mold of promoting a new game. For example, a Mystery Dungeon stage would be dope and a great way to promote the PMD: Rescue Team DX remake. What stages would you all want the most in the game if you could add some?
  • MC. Princess Diaries (Splatoon 2)
  • Sylvalum (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  • If we’re allowed to add third party standalone stages, Shibuya (TWEWY) if not then uhhhhh some Astral Chain stage ig

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
...Imagine a Yume Nikki stage. Just a standalone stage with some remixes from Yume Nikki and even a few YNFGs. A Smashville-sized dual-plat (think Small Battlefield) that resembles Madotsuki's bedroom, that travels across the world of her dreams in the background.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom