• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Maaan who ****in caaaaares what china thinks
View attachment 333827
Because the CCP/China already breath down into Mihoyo's neck who's a CHINESE company, and already had to change and remove LGBTQ/ Lesbian stuff from Honkai impact because of them, and might have to remove even more with the new laws that was voted, that SPECIFICALLY target Genshin?

SKX31

Smash Master
Isn't the former under danger due to China's new "no femboy" law?
That's... not exactly a clear-cut case: partly because the Chinese government - especially under Winnie - are intentionally very uneven with enforceming those things. Still though, it's still possible since the Chinese government has begun to see video games as a political field: "a new form of art that must highlight “a correct set of values” and accurate understanding of China’s history and culture". Aaaaand you can guess where that's going.

One reason why this is happening is that despite all of the measures of control Beijing have imposed onto kids' playing time kids still find ways to bypass the restrictions: one of the most common is to get access to adult accounts. And people keep finding ways around those tighter and tighter restrictions. This includes the content restrictions (it doesn't help that the regulations are intentionally vague most of the time and subject to the whims of individuals or even the government). Winnie's personality can be described as "Kids these days" except with actual power.

It's not helped by the fact that the Chinese government - especially Winnie - practically wants all kids to study all of the goddamned time for the really tough high school "gaokao" (exam) and grow up into either loyal citizens and / or PLA soldiers. I mean, the state media has feverishly complained that video games cause "myopia" - it's not the gacha they're really worried about.

It's why so many Chinese kids are turning towards video games - it's one of the very few forms of escape available.

Why am I saying all this? Chinese corps like Tencent and NetEase are increasingly looking towards Japan and other places in order to mitigate the crackdowns and potential losses in revenue. It's why Tencent are investing in Platinum, Marvelous and cooperating with Nintendo. It's why NetEase set up their Sakura Studio and likely hiring Nagoshi away from Sega.

Long story short, while I could see that happen because the political pressure could be severe, it's also a question mark.

While the CCP is by far the most restrictive or even totalitarian when it comes to this, it's not the only place where video games have become target for political ire recently. India not only banned a lot of apps after the border skirmish with China last year (this included PUBG Mobile, which rebranded itself as Battlegrounds Mobile India and got official approval there... yeah) but one of its provinces had previously banned PUBG Mobile during its examination period. So yeah, this is likely to continue to be a factor in the future.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's... not exactly a clear-cut case: partly because the Chinese government - especially under Winnie - are intentionally very uneven with enforceming those things. Still though, it's still possible since the Chinese government has begun to see video games as a political field: "a new form of art that must highlight “a correct set of values” and accurate understanding of China’s history and culture". Aaaaand you can guess where that's going.

One reason why this is happening is that despite all of the measures of control Beijing have imposed onto kids' playing time kids still find ways to bypass the restrictions: one of the most common is to get access to adult accounts. Beijing are imposing extremely strict restrictions on the video game industry and doubling down because... well... people keep finding ways around them. This includes the content restrictions (it doesn't help that the regulations are intentionally vague most of the time and subject to the whims of individuals or even the government). Winnie's personality can be described as "Kids these days" except with actual power.

It's not helped by the fact that the Chinese government - especially Winnie - practically wants all kids to study all of the goddamned time for the really tough high school "gaokao" (exam) and grow up into either loyal citizens and / or PLA soldiers. I mean, the state media has feverishly complained that video games cause "myopia" - it's not the gacha they're worried about.

It's why so many Chinese kids are turning towards video games - it's one of the very few forms of escape available.

Why am I saying all this? Chinese corps like Tencent and NetEase are increasingly looking towards Japan and other places in order to mitigate the crackdowns and potential losses in revenue. It's why Tencent are investing in Platinum, Marvelous and cooperating with Nintendo. It's why NetEase set up their Sakura Studio and likely hiring Nagoshi away from Sega.

Long story short, while I could see that happen because the political pressure could be severe, it's also a question mark.

While the CCP is by far the most restrictive or even totalitarian when it comes to this, it's not the only place where video games have become target for political ire recently. India not only banned a lot of apps after the border skirmish with China last year (this included PUBG Mobile, which rebranded itself as Battlegrounds Mobile India and got official approval there... yeah) but one of its provinces had previously banned PUBG Mobile during its examination period. So yeah, this is likely to continue to be a factor in the future.
Think miHoYo could move to Japan?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

One reason why this is happening is that despite all of the measures of control Beijing have imposed onto kids' playing time kids still find ways to bypass the restrictions: one of the most common is to get access to adult accounts. Beijing are imposing extremely strict restrictions on the video game industry and doubling down because... well... people keep finding ways around them. This includes the content restrictions (it doesn't help that the regulations are intentionally vague most of the time and subject to the whims of individuals or even the government). Winnie's personality can be described as "Kids these days" except with actual power.

It's not helped by the fact that the Chinese government - especially Winnie - practically wants all kids to study all of the goddamned time for the really tough high school "gaokao" (exam) and grow up into either loyal citizens and / or PLA soldiers. I mean, the state media has feverishly complained that video games cause "myopia" - it's not the gacha they're worried about.

Wow. If this is actually the case, then I’m legit surprised that China hasn’t reinstated their ban on games.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Well, MiHoYo is a Chinese company after all.

I'd imagine that they wouldn't want to have the wrath of Pooh Bear come down on them.
Everyone says Pooh Bear, but really, when I imagine the guy on top throwing a hissy fit over free speech, all I can hear is Tuong Lu Kim (the City Wok guy from South Park, in case anybody’s wondering).

Lyncario

Smash Ace
There's this weird...... elitism(?) starting to crop up around the 10th KH song I'm seeing, and it's the weirdest ****.

People acting like they're hot **** because they bought a game and got something bonus for it.
The only thing that's worth boasting about is that they got to play a game focused on Kairi that develops her really well on spite of how she was previously treated in KH.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tell me we are not talking about Chinese politics here.

Really, I know speculation has essentially ended, but why this?

SKX31

Smash Master
Wow. If this is actually the case, then I’m legit surprised that China hasn’t reinstated their ban on games.
Now I don't wanna go into this too deeply for the same reasons I wouldn't want to get into American politics too deeply*, but the government knows they can't outright do so. Because there's a severe discrepancy between the restrictions and enforcement. Hell, Nintendo themselves got around the console game ban (2000-2014) by partnering with a Chinese startup - iQue - and releasing their consoles in a slightly different clothing. They didn't sell much, but still proves the point. iQue nowadays is a supporting developer for EAD.

There's also the grey market: it's incredibly easy to import games and consoles from Japan / US / Europe, and a lot of online retailers do so. Yes, this has irked the government (such as the ban on New Horizons post-Hong Kong protests), but online retailers get around those bans by for example using codenames: New Horizons has been sold under a fast-food esque codename "#85". That has been a consistent theme, where even if the state wanted to take total control their surveillance state is overstretched and a lot fall through the cracks. Also, that'd run counter to the Shanghai Free Trade Zone etc. So they're going down the Moral Guardian route instead even if the results have been... mixed.

*(I know, the above post, but this is a topic that's incredibly wonky by the very nature of what's happened.)

And now that I'm done with this, I agree with CannonStreak CannonStreak : lets get away from this topic.

The only thing that's worth boasting about is that they got to play a game focused on Kairi that develops her really well on spite of how she was previously treated in KH.
I'm really happy that MoM did that at the very least. That's probably the best route they could've gone for with the story post-3 (Xehanort getting away essentially scot free nonewithstanding, that still irks me).

(Also, the fact that she's not gotten a Dive to the Heart image yet irks me as well, she should get one.)

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
To be honest I can't get over how cheap the game looks. It's genuinely kind of nauseating and absolutely makes it quite hard to watch, let alone play.
I don't blame Ludosity for that, I'd instead blame Nick for cheaping out. They could have hooked 'em up with a decent team to handle the models and such, maybe got some VAs on board, and they just chose not to because... I guess they didn't care enough.
That's not on Ludosity. They did what they could and they did a great job at the stuff they've shown themselves to be good at previously.
You guys are all aware that even Nintendo cheaped out of Ultimate right? Sakurai made that clear in both the Harada interview and the final presentation. If you were an observant fan you could have read between the lines for yourself much earlier.

People that called "Smash 5/Ultimate" an "enhanced port" back in the day were straight-up crucified by Nintendofans (the same people celebrating the end of DLC for everyone right now) but now that Nintendofans have decided for themselves to no longer fervently deny the obvious it's a mainstream opinion but only because the cult of Sakurai got the painfully obvious to anyone willing to looking objectively past the initial hype (like me) confirmation from the man himself.

So there's that. Then the fact that Sakurai even had to make the call between bringing back everyone and having waaaaaay less newcomers, as a result, was another obvious sign that Nintendo was cheaping out. Then they snuck Byleth in at the end of a pass they basically bait and switched the fandom into thinking was an exclusively third party fighters pass (yes they even used Reggie's reputation to prop up this scam no matter what anyone says) all for a free (and wildly unpopular) 1st party choice and they knew their hardcore Nintendofan base would defend it with the "it's THEEEEEIR fighting game you guys are entitled and spoiled and ungrateful" spiels.

And then finally we went from 5 characters a year to 3 for two years. Another obvious sign of Nintendo not affording Smash the budget it truly deserves.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Because the CCP/China already breath down into Mihoyo's neck who's a CHINESE company, and already had to change and remove LGBTQ/ Lesbian stuff from Honkai impact because of them, and might have to remove even more with the new laws that was voted, that SPECIFICALLY target Genshin?
Oh, yeah, I don't play Honkai, but I've heard there's a canonical lesbian pairing in there, right? And Genshin was supposedly cited by name with the new laws, though I don't have a confirmation on that, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt (though it wouldn't surprise me).

Think miHoYo could move to Japan?
If they were still a small indie studio, yes. But they're not anymore. In fact, their employee numbers were over 1500 people in 2020, and that number has only grown this year.

Is this the part where we joke about said rhythm game being crucial to understand the plot of KHIV, because technically KH has no spinoffs and every game is part of the main storyline? :4pacman:

Look, if Nomura did that to ****ing Coded, he can do it to any other game.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
And then finally we went from 5 characters a year to 3 for two years. Another obvious sign of Nintendo not affording Smash the budget it truly deserves.
You realize there was a little thing called COVID that happened, right?

We had a 6 month downtime due to that, if COVID never had happened, we'd have probably been done long before now, it's just, we had 6 months of nothing due to the virus.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
You realize there was a little thing called COVID that happened, right?

We had a 6 month downtime due to that, if COVID never had happened, we'd have probably been done long before now, it's just, we had 6 months of nothing due to the virus.
Yeah, plus there’s the fact that we’re lucky to have FP2 at all. Remember when some of us thought it’s be just the 6 we started out with?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
You guys are all aware that even Nintendo cheaped out of Ultimate right? Sakurai made that clear in both the Harada interview and the final presentation. If you were an observant fan you could have read between the lines for yourself much earlier.

People that called "Smash 5/Ultimate" an "enhanced port" back in the day were straight-up crucified by Nintendofans (the same people celebrating the end of DLC for everyone right now) but now that Nintendofans have decided for themselves to no longer fervently deny the obvious it's a mainstream opinion but only because the cult of Sakurai got the painfully obvious to anyone willing to looking objectively past the initial hype (like me) confirmation from the man himself.

So there's that. Then the fact that Sakurai even had to make the call between bringing back everyone and having waaaaaay less newcomers, as a result, was another obvious sign that Nintendo was cheaping out. Then they snuck Byleth in at the end of a pass they basically bait and switched the fandom into thinking was an exclusively third party fighters pass (yes they even used Reggie's reputation to prop up this scam no matter what anyone says) all for a free (and wildly unpopular) 1st party choice and they knew their hardcore Nintendofan base would defend it with the "it's THEEEEEIR fighting game you guys are entitled and spoiled and ungrateful" spiels.

You had a good point for like a few seconds and then descended into... whatever the rest of this is. Some kind of GameFAQs copypasta?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Are you sure you're not overthinking this?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You had a good point for like a few seconds and then descended into... whatever the rest of this is. Some kind of GameFAQs copypasta?
Every post Chuderz Chuderz has made is a mix of fair points and random jabs at "Nintendofans" while pushing some half baked narrative that smash fans are impossible to please. I don't actually get the vitriol it makes no sense. And posting it in this thread of all places likens it more to trolling than honest discussion.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
depends on what you mean with “tentative summaries”
Ah, paraphrasing. My mortal enemy.
What I meant was little visuals or such that can showcase exactly what your MW could bring to the table, like moves, stages, music, ad infinitum.

Crazy unlikely, I know, but that didn't stop me from just gushing about this franchise for the past year and a half.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Every post Chuderz Chuderz has made is a mix of fair points and random jabs at "Nintendofans" while pushing some half baked narrative that smash fans are impossible to please. I don't actually get the vitriol it makes no sense. And posting it in this thread of all places likens it more to trolling than honest discussion.
I was about to say - they're oddly committed to using "Nintendofans" over "Nintendo fans," "fanboys," or whatever. Glanced at their Posts page and it's clearly deliberate given how consistent it is. I'm unsure of what this is about.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ah, paraphrasing. My mortal enemy.
What I meant was little visuals or such that can showcase exactly what your MW could bring to the table, like moves, stages, music, ad infinitum.

Crazy unlikely, I know, but that didn't stop me from just gushing about this franchise for the past year and a half.
That thing? No, not really. Should note I never had a true most wanted post-Daisy when that was in fashion.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The point about everyone celebrating the end of DLC strikes me as a tad odd. Yeah, it might be unusual for fans to seemingly be happy at a situation where content is stopping, but in an era of crunch and talented game makers often moved to money making franchises they may not interested in, is it really that weird that fans are pleased that Sakurai and company are getting the chance to rest and/or potentially now work on new projects that offer something different for them?

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I was about to say - they're oddly committed to using "Nintendofans" over "Nintendo fans," "fanboys," or whatever. Glanced at their Posts page and it's clearly deliberate given how consistent it is. I'm unsure of what this is about.
Yeah, they called me that a few days ago simply because I was recalling the whole NatDex drama in comparison to the next Smash's cutting board. One mere glance at my username should be a clear indicator that I'm not quite the Nintendrone they think I am.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This presumes that Sakurai didn't already have a large staff working under him on these games. Who are already fully aware of how these games are made.
They are, but there still needs to be a new director to manage the entire damn project.

It's just how game dev works.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
The point about everyone celebrating the end of DLC strikes me as a tad odd. Yeah, it might be unusual for fans to seemingly be happy at a situation where content is stopping, but in an era of crunch and talented game makers often moved to money making franchises they may not interested in, is it really that weird that fans are pleased that Sakurai and company are getting the chance to rest and/or potentially now work on new projects that offer something different for them?
No, I want Nahobino, Crash, Sora, Dante, Doomguy, King Boo, Galvantul- wait Sora's already in the game? Okay well Sora's in, but where's Roxaaaas???

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm probably just going to do a quick mod-job to auto-unlock the extra KH song, honestly. I can already kind of picture how to go about that in my head. Push comes to shove, "adding" a clone of it will suffice, though that's a bit of a hack so I'd rather try a more elegant solution first.

I'm not buying a full-priced retail game for a single music track. It sounds pretty maddening to know that a single damn song is paywalled harder than any of the actual DLC.

If they sell it separately, I'll buy it separately. But otherwise, yar har.

This is mainly referring to an earlier post from Shroob, if this seems sudden.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah, they called me that a few days ago simply because I was recalling the whole NatDex drama in comparison to the next Smash's cutting board. One mere glance at my username should be a clear indicator that I'm not quite the Nintendrone they think I am.
They probably saw your profile pic and got the wrong idea...

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
They probably saw your profile pic and got the wrong idea...
Well, I dunno what his problem is.

Wait, am I understanding this correctly?
I play Nintendo games and while I dislike the company's actions, I enjoy their developers' games. That makes me a fan of Nintendo games, thus making me a Nintendofan.

View attachment 333833
Yeah, that's me to a T. I just dislike confrontation, its why I don't actively participate in such debates.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo dedicated most of their Ultimate budget to characters (developing, licensing, and promoting) and the facets of the game mode people play most (VS: stages, music, items, sub-modes) since while they assuredly appreciate Sakurai's desire to present Smash as a package full of many different kinds of experiences, they know where the bread and butter is being made.

And yes, the budget decreased over time (as do the sales), but this is Nintendo; the fact they even supported a game with three years of post-launch content speaks to them, again, knowing where the Smash money is. Unlike with Mario Kart, which is still a baffling oversight.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
SmashBoards is basically Schrödinger's strawman; we're all bitter/entitled fans who are never satisfied with Nintendo's decisions or drones who praise everything the company does without question.
Really, the same can be said for most of the gaming community as a whole. It’s why the console wars still rage on between fans, even though two of the biggest names have become best friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom