• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know, I don't know much about animation.

But everything happens way too fast in NASB lol. I can't tell what characters are doing half of the time.
Well, what I said is basically an super quick rundown on why it feels like that lmao.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i see many who said they want Arle to be the puzzle rep but Arle originally is from a dungeon game so i dont think it make sense to call her a puzzle rep.
would it be a downgrade for her if the only moveset or references are from a spinoff series?
i personally dont think that would do her justice

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
i see many who said they want Arle to be the puzzle rep but Arle originally is from a dungeon game so i dont think it make sense to call her a puzzle rep.
would it be a downgrade for her if the only moveset or references are from a spinoff series?
The puzzle games have superseded the dungeon crawlers as the draw for the series. It will be fine to focus on what Arle is most well known for, starring in puzzle games.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The puzzle games have superseded the dungeon crawlers as the draw for the series. It will be fine to focus on what Arle is most well known for, starring in puzzle games.
i would prefer her to be hybrid of both puyo and madou series even in her design it would make more sense to me in my opinion her origin shouldnt be ignored

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would be ok with a new Smash game and a potential new roster if there were more new gameplay mechanics. Some of my favorite mechanics from Nick Brawl like aerial strong attacks and the RPS system would be cool to see implement for Smash characters. That'd make a new Smash game distinct enough for me to try out. I'd like to see airdashes from Nick Brawl too, but IDK how Sakurai feels about that now. lol

Something that would upgrade the Smash experience to make it more exciting to watch and play.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Part of me hopes that Sakurai works on one last Smash game so the idea of having a smaller game makes the other devs more confident that they don't need to top Ultimate.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
People will still think of Ultimate as peak Smash regardless.
That's inevitable because it's just fact.

However, just because Ultimate can't be topped doesn't mean a sequel can't be good. Having Sakurai still around for one game can make this less daunting because, well, he's helping out one last time.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think it's a bad game by any means

Just, in its current state, it's not a game I'd pay full MSRP for tbh. I want it to succeed, but there's just some things about it that make me go 'ehhhh'. I'd 100% pick it up if it were to go on sale sure, but ehhh.
Tbf it's not full price and even had a preorder discount but yeah as someone who's only reason for not buying it is Dread taking priority, I don't blame anyone for being turned off as the game doesn't hide that it's dev time was about a year
i personally dont think that would do her justice
The fact she's from an RPG is a pretty obscure fact all things considered, she's almost exclusively known for puzzle games, or do we count Sonic as a racing game rep as his first game was Rad Mobile? Or Mach Rider as a toy rep rather than a video game rep?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Your daily reminder that Sakurai has already stated that he will keep coming back to work on Smash as long as Nintendo keeps asking him.
Does he have any adult children though? Or anyone he believes he can trust as a successor for when he hits 60+? He should at least have a backup for when that time comes

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My problem with NASB is that it feels cheap.
Graphics, frame rate, details like the cooking stage where you literally cannot tell which part of the plates are the platform and which are background.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Tbf it's not full price and even had a preorder discount but yeah as someone who's only reason for not buying it is Dread taking priority, I don't blame anyone for being turned off as the game doesn't hide that it's dev time was about a year
The fact she's from an RPG is a pretty obscure fact all things considered, she's almost exclusively known for puzzle games, or do we count Sonic as a racing game rep as his first game was Rad Mobile? Or Mach Rider as a toy rep rather than a video game rep?
Sonic as a character has nothing to do with that racing game it was just a cameo
Arle in other other had multiple entries and a whole character development and its canon

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
When it comes to cuts for the next game, we can't really make any guesses for who it Will be.
Just cutting a few characters is irrelevant. It's either go in a new direction, or build on what already is here.
Cutting back twenty characters is just an inferior version of a current roster- and even then, porting the entire Wii game over still didn't allow much time for base game characters, this time.
Building on what is here is only possible in a special edition of what already is. Getting a new game with all the content is less exciting, as Stoopid Unicorn pointed out-- it isn't as special the second time.
Think of it like the echo marketing- as clones, they were a 'wasted space.' Change the name (officially), remove their 'number,' and bam- people cannot get enough, and are asking for more.
This is the same for a new game- we cannot have Smash 7 as 'everyone is here 2.' It's not interesting. What we CAN have is 'Ultimate part 2,' where we reopen our brains to continue from where we left off.

Marketing is powerful.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
cracks knuckles
Okay, Ultimate Deluxe wishlist:

Gameplay Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)
-Bring back all missing Stages, Items, ATs, etc.

Character Changes
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate Fighter, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Make Mythra into Pyra’s Echo.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.

New Content
First, hold new Smash Ballot

Base Game:
Mii Mages

DLC Pack 1:
1. New Pokemon
2. Ballot Winner #1
3. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
4. Ballot Winner #2
5. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]

DLC Pack 2:
6. Ballot Winner #3
7. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
8. Ballot Winner #4
9. Kunio/Riki [River City]
10. Ballot Winner #5
10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
82e. Roxas [Kingdom Hearts]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Swordfighter:
Crono [Chrono Trigger]
Frog [Chrono Trigger]
Randi [Secret of Mana]
FF1 Fighter [Final Fantasy]
FF1 Ninja [Final Fantasy]
Majima [Yakuza]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Kuros [Wizards & Warriors]
The Knight [Hollow Knight]

Brawler:
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Kiryu [Yakuza]
Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee [Double Dragon]
Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
FF1 Monk [Final Fantasy]

Gunner:
Quote [Cave Story]
Jason [Blaster Master]

Mage:
Ashley [WarioWare] (converted from Swordfighter)
Viridi [Kid Icarus] (converted from Swordfighter)
Lip [Panel de Pon] (converted from Swordfighter)
Veronica [Dragon Quest] (converted from Swordfighter)
Aerith [Final Fantasy] (converted from Swordfighter)
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Kamek [Super Mario Bros.]
Reimu [Touhou]
FF1 Black Mage [Final Fantasy]
FF1 White Mage [Final Fantasy]
Magus [Chrono Trigger]
Chocobo [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime[Dragon Quest]
Majima [Yakuza]
Rygar [Rygar]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Vic Viper [Gradius]
Mike Jones [Star Tropics]
Sophia 3rd [Blaster Master]
Bernard [Maniac Mansion]
Yes... except to one thing making Mythra an Echo to Pyra I like their quirk of switching back and forth while fighting, they're such a fun character as they are.

Also to add to your list in character changes, make Lucario a faster Fighter there should be no reason why his attacks are so slow for such a quick Pokémon. Even if you have to shave off a bit of the damage of the Aura mechanic.

His running animation also needs to change to the one he had in the Brawl cutscene with Snake and Meta Knight.

Part of me wants something absolutely insane like 12 player Smash or something next game. I don't know who on earth even wants to do something like that but the spectacle would neat.
Or maybe a Battle Royale
Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Does he have any adult children though? Or anyone he believes he can trust as a successor for when he hits 60+? He should at least have a backup for when that time comes
I don think Sakurai has any kids. Just him, his wife and their fashionable shirts
Just where do they buy their shirts

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I find it funny that despite smash ultimate ended over few days ago we are already discussing the next game
It’s Hard to be fully satisfied I guess
The more things change the more they always stay the same. However this is the Speculation Thread so talking about future Smash is within the thread range of topics.
You know, Nick All Star Brawl provides a chance for a certain character voiced by Sean Schemmel to be in a smash-like game...

Nice! I hope they add in some Kappa Mikey characters in there Liliy Mu outfits Mikey, Gonard, and Mitsuki would be great. If they put in Jenny (XJ9) from Teenage Robot it's a buy for me.
My problem with NASB is that it feels cheap.
Graphics, frame rate, details like the cooking stage where you literally cannot tell which part of the plates are the platform and which are background.
It definitely needs some polish In all those areas

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sonic as a character has nothing to do with that racing game it was just a cameo
Arle in other other had multiple entries and a whole character development and its canon
Except that nobody knows what a Madou Monogatari is wheras Puyo is the second best selling Sega franchise from what I can gather, meaning Arle would still be deemed a puzzle character

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, since you're right.
Also, Kiryu could be better SEGA rep due to his popularity.
I think both have their merits.

I know very little about Puyo Puyo but it seems to have a pretty dedicated fanbase. I wouldn't be surprised if Arle becomes a Terry-like addition if she ever gets in; as in having a lot of silent supporters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, since you're right.
Also, Kiryu could be better SEGA rep due to his popularity.
As someone who would infinitely prefer Kiryu, I fail to see what makes him better, they're both from unrepped genres while being big Sega icons, only real differences are how they'd work and Puyo Puyo being bigger than Yakuza

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Man, this batch of newcomers was a slam dunk. Going in, my most wanted list was

1. Ridley
2. Joker
3. K Rool
4. Banjo
5. Geno
6. Sephiroth
7. Rayman
8. King Boo
9. Rex and Pyra (just Pyra is even better)
10. A 3 Houses character

Luminary, Min Min, and Sora were also characters I actively wanted, though not in my top 10.

Freaking 7/10 of my most wanted. It's crazy how spoiled I am with Ultimate. I couldn't possibly ask for anlything more. It was quite a breath of fresh air after I got 0/10 of my most wanted in smash 4. I loved every second of this ride. What a fitting end Sora is as well.

I don't care to speculate about potential smash content or games when there's nothing on the way, so I guess this will be my last post here. I'll see ya'll for smash 6 in like 5 or 6 years.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Speaking of Nick All Stars, I just remembered a question I had: How come the characters don't have voice-acting in that game?
By the way if anyone is curious, here is a glimpse of GameMill's library (GameMill, not Ludosity)

Screenshot_20211006-230926_Samsung Internet.jpg

They publish all of these games so they don't actively develop but they're able to get these licenses and a small budget and outsource the work to another dev. WayForward actually seems to be a common partner.

So this sorta shows exactly where Nick ASB's low budget stems from.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I dunno, part of me wants NASB, but like, I already am playing Smash bros Ultimate, have been getting into Guilty Gear Strive, and I also have Halo Master Chief Collection now and eventually Halo Infinite to play as well. I just don't know if I really feel like juggling that many multiplayer games.

It doesn't help that it's been years since I've given that much of a crap about Nickelodean, and really the only Nick franchise I think I was ever THAT passionate about is Spongebob.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
NASB highlights how important the immersion aspect is in these Smash-likes. If I don't feel immersed - if I don't feel like different shows are really crossing over together, or that the character I'm using really feels like the character I recognize - then the only things it has left is its gameplay.

And if I'm going to buy a fighting game for the sake of the gameplay instead of anything else, then NASB more directly competes with Guilty Gear Strive in that regard. And I'm not even exactly a hardcore fighting game fan.

------------------------

New question: in your opinion was Sora's reveal helped or hindered by the leak about Nintendo contacting Disney Music for an Oct. 5 presentation?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
NASB highlights how important the immersion aspect is in these Smash-likes. If I don't feel immersed - if I don't feel like different shows are really crossing over together, or that the character I'm using really feels like the character I recognize - then the only things it has left is its gameplay.

And if I'm going to buy a fighting game for the sake of the gameplay instead of anything else, then NASB more directly competes with Guilty Gear Strive in that regard. And I'm not even exactly a hardcore fighting game fan.

------------------------

New question: in your opinion was Sora's reveal helped or hindered by the leak about Nintendo contacting Disney Music for an Oct. 5 presentation?
There was reason to believe it was fake due to Sora being one of those characters who'd always have fake leaks until he gets in. I used this exact phrasing like 10 minutes before the reveal when a friend said he heard it was gonna be Sora

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'll say helped.
I'm sort of glad that it leaked early and not right before the presentation. People used it a beacon of hope that Sora could make it due to how sound the situation felt, and their tears of joy and incredibly positive reactions show that holding on to that hope was worth it.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I'll say helped.
I'm sort of glad that it leaked early and not right before the presentation. People used it a beacon of hope that Sora could make it due to how sound the situation felt, and their tears of joy and incredibly positive reactions show that holding on to that hope was worth it.
It's a really dangerous thing to encourage though - let's not forget about the Grinch hoax, and how that affected the November Direct the moment it got deconfirmed. I still shudder at how easily this timeline could have not had Sora, ballot winner or not.

Don't get me wrong, ending on Sora is a fantastic conclusion, but so many years of disappointing final character reveals is a scary precedent to be ignored at one's own risk.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
NASB feels at times like the game equivalent of a B movie where the director and production designers try really hard to make the most of the resources they have and where the effort really is clear in the final product... but you can tell that its ambitions are ultimately are limited by the lack of budget.

Though given the solid base and interest it does have, it could be the Smash 64 of its series, starting out as a charming novelty that gets more and more expansive with each entry.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So this sorta shows exactly where Nick ASB's low budget stems from.
Nick has been relying on GameMill lately for their crossover games to cut back on costs. The different between the Nick Kart Racers games and All-Star Brawl, however, is that Kart Racers' devs seem to not be well-known among Mario Kart fans, have a library that consists mostly of licensed shovelware anyway, and just went with what Nickelodeon told them to add rather than digging deeper into their vaults like Ludosity.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So, who's excited to play as Sora on the 18th?
Definitely excited to play as Sora. Watched tweeks analysis and he's just got so much potential for off stage shenanigans. I usually don't gravitate to super floaty light characters but his 3 hit combos and Bayonetta like maneuverability makes him seem really strong. FP2 was definitely the strongest set of newcomers to smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom