• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well hey there everybody!

I have zero predictions for tomorrow. I'm lucky enough to have off at that particular time tomorrow, though I'll be having to be a part of a fire drill.

Though I haven't been around lately, I'll probably be hanging around here tonight and tomorrow. After that? We'll see. Despite the fact that there won't be any more additions to Smash, I may consider writing about what Ultimate has become, and generally just hanging out in the community. Who knows? Maybe eventually I'll decide to stop being an old man and actually try a tourney one of these days.

It's good to be back, even though it IS essentially the final night of speculah.
Good to see you again, Jones!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It has been a fun ride, though speculation kinda slowed down the past year or so (at least for me) it was a good time hanging around this thread. Regardless of who's the character I hope everyone can enjoy the presentation, and even if the fighter is one that you dislike, don't let that feeling sour your opinion on Smash Ultimate and the whole journey since it's announcement.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I feel quite literally in the same exact spot.

It feels great knowing that I could react positively to, like, 99% of choices.

Even then, I've welcomed every Smash character into the fold and tried something new whenever it appeared necessary, but thus far I haven't had to start a new series in quite some time. The only two series I haven't played from the DLC are King of Fighters/Fatal Fury and...Minecraft. We'll have to wait and see if CP11 changes that.
Glad to have you back with us for this one final presentation, Jones.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So everyone is making they're "goodbye" messages so I guess it's my turn. Coming here was always so much fun speculating with everyone. I can't thank everyone individually, but if you ever read my messages or interact with me with some way, well I'm grateful to have met you and talk with you about this amazing game. I really like this boards so I'll try to be active a bit on the social or other threads, and who knows, maybe we'll meet again when the next Smash is announced.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It may not be a Jonespost but...

I swear to Arceus, if Challenger Pack 11 for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for the Nintendo Switch console, ISN'T Pepsiman, then I am going to go to the store, buy a 6-pack of Cherry Coca-Cola, and drown my sorrow.

Worse yet, if it's Coke Bear, then I have to admit defeat to my mortal Smash enemy...something I have never had to do. There isn't even enough a Holy casting of Jonespost to wash that away.

Technomage

Smash Champion
It may not be a Jonespost but...

I swear to Arceus, if Challenger Pack 11 for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, for the Nintendo Switch console, ISN'T Pepsiman, then I am going to go to the store, buy a 6-pack of Cherry Coca-Cola, and drown my sorrow.
I know this is a joke, but at least you'd still have Pepsiman in this parody/fan game:

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Glad to have you back with us for this one final presentation, Jones.
Good to see you again, Old Man Jones. :awesome:
Good to see you again, Jones!
Well howdy!

Hope I didn't miss a bunch while I was out. All I know is that it's been awhile since I've last posted so this is a bittersweet reason to make a return. Hopefully this time I make more of an effort to stick around. The Smash community means something to me, after all. Even if I don't play much on the competitive side, I've met some awesome people here.

I certainly hope I can continue staying in touch with folks.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Been a while since I posted. Was a lot more active during the nightmare that was pre-FP5 and the early 2020 information drought, but figured I'd stop in before the speculation age ends for what will likely be a very long time and these boards as we know them cease to exist. It's a weird feeling since this is the first game I've really taken seriously on a competitive level, and so I was more invested in DLC and how the meta evolved despite being around since the days of Smash 64. With Smash 4, my reaction to every new DLC character was "oh, that's neat", which I then proceeded to never play as I didn't really play the game much after the first year. Now 3 years into Ultimate and I've got over 2500 hours in the game and probably won't stop anytime soon.

Anyway, I genuinely can't think of any character that would upset me tomorrow. Hype characters are hype characters pretty much no matter what, and underwhelming characters still have the salt factor to them. My preference would be a non-western character, so I'm hoping people are just reading too much into the Sakurai tweet, but it's ultimately not a big deal. I've got my mains and the new character fitting my playstyle would just be a bonus at this point. Whatever happens, this has been one wild ride.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hold up. That's not Chief's voice actor. That guy is a 343 community manager.
Isn't Chief's VA Steve Downes? John Junyszek is the community manager for 343 Industries and I'm not sure if he'd know if Chief is in Smash.
This isn't Chief's VA. The guy who posted this is a community manager for the Halo series.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d by two other people
Though...

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ3qtWOz9tE smash has always been important to me and speculation has been the best part I mean I got my most wanted back in smash 4 with Mewtwo. And then after that with this game we got banjo and king k rool my big 3 wants in a smash game. So sure I can still hope for characters like crash, master chief, and sora but at the end of the day I’m perfectly happy with what we got. The journey has been awesome and to know for years that more smash is coming got me excited but now knowing that this is it it’s sad. That there may not be any more smash for years sucks but just wanted to say thanks to everyone thanks for all the fun and leaks like grinch and esrp leaks. So thanks for all the fun and can’t wait to see what’s next for smash

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Been forever since I’ve been in here. Decide to come back, since the final character is tomorrow. How is the general feeling about it?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
T-11-ish hours until the end. Tomorrow/tonight, Smash Bros speculation finally comes to an end.

It's been a chaotic journey over the past 6-7 years on this board. Came here amidst the hype and confusion of Robin and Lucina's announcement in Smash 4 over Chrom, then following through the rest of Smash speculation. I think because of this board I came to want more characters and appreciate them a lot better. In all honesty as a kid during Brawl, none of the big-names like Ridley or King K. Rool were in my wishlists, but seeing the speculation and support actually made me want to show my support and they became part of my most wanted characters along the likes of Shulk and Banjo-Kazooie.

Come Smash Ultimate, it's truly been a wonderful experience - Several beloved veterans coming back, amazing newcomers both in the base game like Ridley, K. Rool, Inkling, the Belmonts... and the DLC roller-coaster featuring the likes of Joker, Steve, Sephiroth...

I've got assignment commitments and that's what I'll likely be doing to pass my time in these final hours of speculation. Once things end for good, I'll probably depart from the board properly. It's been a wonderful ride from start to finish. Had ups and downs with the collective Smash community here, joined a few circles of friends...

For tonight, I'm particularly hoping on these four: Phoenix Wright, Doomguy, Kazuma Kiryu and Reimu. If any of them make the cut as the final fighter that would be great. Though since Phoenix is my most wanted, I can't help but admit that it'd be a bit bittersweet that say, if Reimu or Doomguy were the final fighter, then that means no Phoenix Wright. But oh well. Smash Ultimate's already gone above and beyond if you ask me when it comes to the roster.

It's been fun, and I'll likely post my thoughts on the final fighter the following day after reveal. Time for me to head off.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'll be going to bed early so I can wake up earlier to catch the presentation live, so just in case I'm too tired tomorrow to come here before the character is revealed, it's been a pleasure riding the hype train with you all throughout the Ultimate Hype cycle, and I can't wait to watch the grand finale with all of you tomorrow.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I wasn't going to, but I feel like I have to get some thoughts out there. Perhaps, for one final time before things end, one final speculation Jonespost.

Now that we're at the end, and I got Sephiroth (a never ever of mine) and Pyra/Mythra (another character I wanted but didn't expect) my interest in speculation has largely waned. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed it, or thought about what the end might look like. Kazuya, though being a character from a series I don't regularly play (despite beating a friend who considered himself a "pro" in my Best of 3), has become a favorite pick of mine. I can't quite find a way to actively dislike any of the picks Nintendo and Sakurai have made.

That said, we're now down to the final hour. The end of an era is in sight. I think there's something to be said about this particular stage of Smash going for 3 years, but for me it feels like it's been longer. Smash Ultimate doesn't happen without Smash Wii U/3DS. It was around that time that I first started posting here, posting thoughts, and gaining any attention or momentum based on the ideas I posted.

The more I think about it, Smash has played a large role in the development of my hobby. Up until Brawl I was a hardcore Nintendo stan. Then I played Brawl and loved Snake. So it was the first time I bought my own Playstation console to play MGS4. I had already bought an Xbox 360 at that point, but I would argue that Smash has drastically effected what I've been willing to try or play, and has thus led me to sinking countless hours into an ever growing backlog.

I may be familiar with the character that is revealed to us tomorrow. I may not be. However, there is little doubt in my mind that I will enjoy every last minute of the presentation that I can catch live (probably the first 15 minutes) and post-reveal (later in the day most likely). I am entering tomorrow's presentation with an open mind.

I would encourage those of you who may be thinking that this is the "end" of Smash to reconsider. While this may be the end of one era of Smash, there is still much to be enjoyed. We may have a complete roster of over 80 selectable fighters, with close to 100 counting costumes. But the experience of Smash Bros. is something much larger than that. Smash has expanded into universes, upon universes, that interweave into something quite special that it's somewhat hard to describe.

I played Smash 64 as a child, when I had a limited amount of friends. I played Melee and sunk 1000's of hours, most of those by myself. Brawl let me into High School, where Sonic being added changed my life ( not really but it was a big deal to me) and my friend expanded. Into Wii U and Ultimate, my friend group, outside of my immediate friends, has grown astronomically, all due to a little bond we all share over a wacky wahoo fighting game...which is pretty awesome, even if my local friends won't play with me anymore because they get so sick of losing, even when I may or may not be inebriated. (*Note, drink responsibly bros!)

That said, we now are on the precipice of something amazing. There's truthfully no real indication of who will be revealed tomorrow. Sakurai has encouraged folks who may not even play Smash to tune in for "one last celebration of gaming". Within that content, the possibilities truly are endless. Will then end with a bang? Or will they end with a...smaller pretty explosion? We'll find out tomorrow morning, though I suspect either outcome will produce the same results.

I, for one, am looking forward to whatever comes next. I hope to continue making memories in this community with all of you, on or off the Battlefield!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Seeing these goodbye messages really be making me think of this (Couple obligatory swear word warnings):
Jotaro and Joseph are the Nintendo fans moving on to new things, Polnareff is the part of the fandom moving on to Nick All star brawl.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s going to feel really weird once the final character is revealed tomorrow. I’ve really enjoyed my time here and getting the chance to share my love for my favorite games and characters. I’m not saying goodbye since I’ve been here since Brawl and I’ll probably stick around for a long time but I might not be as active. For everyone leaving, it was great getting to know each of you. I hope I didn’t annoy people too much gushing about my niche most wanted characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom