• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder how this last presentation will be broken down. We know for sure that there will be:

-a greeting from Sakurai
-the reveal trailer
-series info for the newcomer
-gameplay, stage, and music overview (possibly Spirit Board too)
-the Mii Costume wave
-the release date
-a final goodbye and thank you

All of that will be in a 40 minute timeslot. Do we think there could be anything else?
a three stage bonus stage pack, a couple additions to modes like WoL Very Hard and/or 2P and the WoL possession and clone fighter effects, both alignments, usable on ANYONE in normal gameplay

PLEASE i wanted this since Hero's trailer

Shroob

Sup?
Tbf they also tried pushing Zoaroak in the same manner as Lucario by introducing it in media way ahead of time. I don't believe it made the same headway tho.
Zoroark had 3 glaring issues tbh.

1# They tried to make lightning strike twice in pushing an "vaguely human furry" Pokemon in the same vein as Lucario, yet it just didn't catch on as big as Lucario did.

2# From a gameplay perspective, Zoroark got completely ****ed over, since its whole gimmick of illusions was ruined by its own home gen introducing Team Preview to competitive fights.

3# And the biggest one of all, is you couldn't get the damn thing without an event, making its accessibility extremely limited.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I wonder how this last presentation will be broken down. We know for sure that there will be:

-a greeting from Sakurai
-the reveal trailer
-the Mii Costume wave
-the release date

All of that will be in a 40 minute timeslot. Do we think there could be anything else?
Amiibo news and probably a game-mode demonstration with the character (squad-strike or something). 40 minutes actually isn't a whole lot considering this is the final Smash presentation. I'd imagine he'd spend at least 5-6 minutes wrapping it up, I also feel like we may get some sort of cinematic or a version of everyone is here with all the fighters at the very end.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

-a greeting from Sakurai
-the reveal trailer
-the Mii Costume wave
-the release date

Watch as the presentation starts with the Mii Costumes for maximum carnage

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I could see that happening. Not necessarily for the deconfirmations, but if some of the new costumes are characters from the same series as the actual fighter, they might reveal the costumes first just like they did with Sephiroth. The costumes of Tifa, Aerith and Barret were used for showcasing Sephiroth's moves.

As for the presentation I don't expect anything crazy, just the usual. With the difference that I guess Sakurai will thank us at the end and reflect on the journey Ultimate has been. Maybe a little surprise if we're very very lucky, like an extra stage or something like that.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

-a greeting from Sakurai
-the reveal trailer
-the Mii Costume wave
-the release date

Part of me is thinking that we will get the Mii's first and then the greeting from Sakurai will be extra long just to build as much tension and to cause as much chaos as possible.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I could see that happening. Not necessarily for the deconfirmations, but if some of the new costumes are characters from the same series as the actual fighter, they might reveal the costumes first just like they did with Sephiroth. The costumes of Tifa, Aerith and Barret were used for showcasing Sephiroth's moves.

As for the presentation I don't expect anything crazy, just the usual. With the difference that I guess Sakurai will thank us at the end and reflect on the journey Ultimate has been. Maybe a little surprise if we're very very lucky, like an extra stage or something like that.
TBF Sephiroth was already known at that point. If they just out of the blue announced a presentation and we suddenly saw Sephiroth dair that one flower girl then I'd wonder who the hell they have suggesting weird gimmicks like that lmao. If you mean straight after the character then I suppose that's a possibility.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord

-a greeting from Sakurai
-the reveal trailer
-the Mii Costume wave
-the release date

Potentially a surprise from the empty unexplained space in FP2.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Here it is: My essay on Pyra/Mythra. Enjoy!

Before Pythra’s reveal, I hadn’t touched a single Xenoblade game. My biggest connection to the games outside of Smash was me watching a Twitch streamer play the first couple chapters of Xenoblade 1, which was a long time ago. So I had an idea of what the series was about but it just never interested me as I was never big on RPGs, at least until recently. So I never bothered to play a single title from this series.

But that changed in February. Fun fact, I knew so little about Xenoblade that I didn’t even know that Pyra and Mythra can fight on their own without Rex, so you can imagine my shock when Pyra was announced….without Rex. I was flabbergasted, but other than that I didn’t feel much towards the characters or the trailer itself as again, I knew jack nothing about Xenoblade. But with me, whenever a new Smash character gets revealed I get curious and try out their game. This started with me with Joker and it happened again with Hero, Min Min, and Sephiroth. And so, in order to understand why so many people were bouncing up and down at the Aegis’ inclusion and because I wanted to join in on the hype, I got Xenoblade 2 the day after the duo’s reveal.

Now, looking back, that was kind of risky but I have had a habit of blind buying games and for the most part that rarely has backfired on me. So I had no idea what was in store for me. I had no idea that I was about to play one of my absolute favorite games of all time and the game that emotionally impacted me the most out of anything in any entertainment medium.

Note that I will be omitting any details to avoid spoilers. Anyway I started playing the game and it had a promising start. Kind of slow, but that didn’t bother me, plus the ending of Chapter 1 had some fantastic moments. Then I went through the motions exploring Gormott which was jaw dropping with that music (And encountering the big funny monkey for the first time). Chapter 3 was great and the ending was absolutely amazing. Then Chapter 4 hit and kind of slowed things down for a bit but then Chapter 5 arrives and things start to get really interesting. Then with Chapter 6 **** escalate even more and it ends in a way that is equivalent to a gut punch. I was hooked on it at that point. Now with Chapter 7, oh man that is filled with some of the best moments in the whole game and the cutscene that introduces Coffee With Milk is my favorite cutscene of all time. It’s so emotional and made my jaw drop. That was the moment when I fell in love with this game. And it just got better with the next 3 chapters which ramps up in intensity.

Then the ending, omg the ending. It left me an emotional wreck for hours. I beat the game at midnight but couldn’t fall asleep until 3 AM. It’s one of my favorite endings of all time and to put it into perspective, I beat the game all the way back in April and to this day I still ponder about the ending from time to time. And in general I think about Xenoblade 2 just about everyday. I’m utterly obsessed with the game. I ended up getting the art book, physical soundtrack, and a poster. And I’ll be picking up the Pyra/Mythra Amiibos whenever they become available.

I just love everything about this game man. If you told me that this game will contain one of my favorite casts of characters ever, I probably would not have believed you, judging from the early hours of the game. But by the end I ended up getting emotionally attached to almost all the main characters. This game also has one of my top favorite soundtracks, easily top 3 at least. The battle themes are so good you can jam out to them, the area themes are awe-inspiring and some are even bangers (Looking at you Mor Ardain and Tantal), and some songs make me want to cry my eyes out.

And that brings me to Smash. I’m so happy that Xenoblade 2 got the content that it deserves. I will say that there are some things that bother me like the fact that we got zero Xenoblade DLC costumes. Also, there were some weird choices with the music. Counterattack got a remix which was completely unnecessary and while I like it, it’s inferior to the original so why even bother? Tantal got included with the medley but I wish you could listen to it on its own since it’s a banger. And while the music choices are great overall, there are still some glaring omissions like Monster Surprised You, Power of Jin, and After Despair and Hope. I also want to point out how they got lazy and put in a color to represent Pyra’s disguise outfit instead of actually putting in the costume which looks adorable on her. Finally, it’s a shame that the driver and blade system couldn’t be implemented. But considering the fact that Smash often follows the rule of including the most recent protagonist, this was a now or never opportunity for Xenoblade 2.

But overall, I’m happy with the content we did get. I have my gripes but I still think they did a good job on the pack overall. And I’m eternally grateful to Smash Ultimate for introducing me to a game I cherish so much. To think that I wouldn’t have gotten into Xenoblade at all if it wasn’t for Smash. It’s funny how things work out huh?

So yeah, Pythra are my favorite DLC characters alongside Steve. It’s difficult to say which one tops which for me since I do have more of a history with Minecraft but it doesn’t change the fact that I care a lot about Xenoblade 2.

If you want to learn more about my thoughts on XC2 and Torna, check out my essay attached below.

Attachments

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
For a nice way to wrap it up, would be nice to see the mural at the end with every character, and they all come to life like in the trailer for the base game (bonus points if it replaces the video at the beginning of the game if you have both passes). Probably won't, as Sakurai keeps stating the reason he records his presentations is they have no money outside of the CG trailers (which, I'm glad, because I'd rather see Sakurai play and joke around than hear overproduced voice-over). A nice, less-costly version would be a reprise of the Everyone is Here trailer, with everyone there.

Another treat to end things off would be that Home-Run Contest was the original final mode until Vol II and since then they were working on a big, new mode in the mean time. Or just a boss selection (not just Boss Rush) for every character, character trailer selection, or legitimately including DLC in World of Light and not just "Hey, ya unlocked them all at once!" It's been unfortunate that they've been winding down adding new stuff, or enhancing what's there, and there are so many tiny goodies they could throw in, any one of which would be nice for a final presentation and make whatever character it's showcasing go down smoother.

But given the length of the direct, I don't expect much beyond just the character announcement, history, moves, stage/music, final mii pack, and preview of future amiibos, with a final goodbye. But Nintendo said to let my imagination run wild, so I'm letting it this time.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm going to be a contrarian and say I hope we get the reveal before the Mii costume announcements.

Since Joker's release, the Mii costumes have always received some degree of negative perception due to deconfirming popular picks such as Geno, Travis, and Dante. This is the one chance for the Mii costumes to escape that reputation since everyone is who's not FP11 will be deconfirmed any way. For this one and done time, the community and Sakurai could perceive Mii costumes in the same way: an opportunity for popular characters and franchises to get some playable representation even if they're not fully playable.

Alternatively, people still get sour about popular characters becoming Miis anyway because it deconfirms them from that Third Fighter's Pass which is definitely happening.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm going to be a contrarian and say I hope we get the reveal before the Mii costume announcements.

Since Joker's release, the Mii costumes have always received some degree of negative perception due to deconfirming popular picks such as Geno, Travis, and Dante. This is the one chance for the Mii costumes to escape that reputation since everyone is who's not FP11 will be deconfirmed any way. For this one and done time, the community and Sakurai could perceive Mii costumes in the same way: an opportunity for popular characters and franchises to get some playable representation even if they're not fully playable.

Alternatively, people still get sour about popular characters becoming Miis anyway because it deconfirms them from that Third Fighter's Pass which is definitely happening.
eh, i see it more as if it's a third party mii, that's it, they're never becoming playable. otherwise we'd have had tails or lloyd in as playable by now

that's just my opinion tho. first party miis on the other hand are generally safe to become playable next game

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
If the wave doesn't have stuff directly related to the fighter (as in no one from that series) I can see it happening. I would love to see my prediction about the wave be put to the test.
Potentially a surprise from the empty unexplained space in FP2.
What empty unexplained space?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So...I haven't been a fan of giving Sonic the Boost mechanic, but I think I just thought of a way to make it super interesting:

So this hypothetical interpretation of Sonic in Super Smash Bros. would follow the classic era's momentum based movement. He would still be the fastest character in the game, but would take the longest to reach his top speed, and once he gets going, it's hard to turn him around (long skid + poor aerial drift). This is where boost comes in: While it doesn't have a hitbox like it does in the source material (that's what Spin Dash is for) it serves the immensely important purpose of allowing him to zip off at top speed at any point (provided he's in an actionable state). This also means he has access to his ground speed while still in the air (or at least, something closer to it), and he can attack as normal while boosting (while grounded, it treats him as if he's dashing since he essentially is). This also means that he has more control over his direction since using the move has him take off like a rocket in the desired direction no questions asked.

The catch is that the move is tied to a "Boost Meter", which could fill up as you hit opponents and stuff like normal, but I like the idea of it going up by moving in the direction of any of the fighters on screen, which I think would make him a more aggressive character. This interpretation would also make him a much different character than he currently is, but a change like it would kind of be the point anyway.

What do you guys think?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If the wave doesn't have stuff directly related to the fighter (as in no one from that series) I can see it happening. I would love to see my prediction about the wave be put to the test.

What empty unexplained space?
its on the eshop page. i don't think it'll be a character seeing as how sak said cp11 was the last character

could be like a stage tho

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Sakurai posted the Final Smash Direct Stream Link, so if any of you can't watch it live, you can save it on a tab to not get spoiled.

He was also nice enough to tweet in both English and Japanese, but I guess that's obviously because the language streams are different themselves.

If anyone wants to see the direct translation of the Japanese and compare it to the English one.

The schedule is getting closer, so ... On October 5th, the final fighter of "Smash Bros. SP" will be announced !! The festival of the game industry is also the last. This is a place I would like you to participate in real time. If you like, make a note in your schedule book or calendar!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
inb4 character gets leaked by Imran Khan or Jeff Grubb or some ****

Grubbers rise up one last time lmao
We stan Brushie in this household

it’s also a standalone presentation so it’s more likely to leak. Sephiroth was part of TGA 2020, Pyra/Mythra were the direct earlier this year, and Kazuya was E3 2021 so it’d be harder to get info in presentations like those

maybe.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
its on the eshop page. i don't think it'll be a character seeing as how sak said cp11 was the last character

could be like a stage tho
It definitely isn't a character. I wish they could put back in all the missing stages that didn't make the cut but that's definitely not happening. No real idea what kind of last extra they could add, honestly.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It definitely isn't a character. I wish they could put back in all the missing stages that didn't make the cut but that's definitely not happening. No real idea what kind of last extra they could add, honestly.
Maybe a few brand new stages? Or some WoL boss stages idk

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Starting tomorrow night and Tuesday morning, we must avoid social media so we don't spoiled of who the last fighter is.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
ah, so they'll just add the twelfth most popular pokemon. i'm sure it'll be someone coo-

oh no

Edit: am i the most popular pokemon in the world? because i just got :ultgreninja: 'd
I gotta love how Scorbunny is 12th for the coincidence, but also, divide by 2 and you get Cinderace.

Anyway:
  • Number 1 is Umbreon. Very good.
  • Primarina is still popular despite Decidueye and Incineroar. Heck, Alola is the only region that has all 3 Starter Final Evos in the Top 10, with Hoenn and Sinnoh close behind with Swampert at 11 and Torterra at 12.
  • Poor Grass Starter Evos. Only the first forms get the love. But heck, compared to the others, none of Chespin or it's forms don't even reach top 30. The only other Starter Pokemon not on the list are Tepig and Chimchar, but at least one of Chimchar's forms is on the list while Tepig doesn't have any form on the list.
  • Poor Flareon. The only Eevee-lution not on there.
  • Unsurprisingly, all of the Pseudo-Legendaries are on that list. The only ones that don't reach Top 10 are Salamence and Kommo-o.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Starting tomorrow night and Tuesday morning, we must avoid social media so we don't spoiled by the last fighter.
I have work on Tuesday, so I'll get spoiled anyway.

Of all the ways my experience through Ultimate's DLC could end, it's almost fitting that it would end the same way it started; me getting spoiled the identity of the fighter because I couldn't watch on time.

Thanks, life :4pacman: fake laughs hiding real pain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom