• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
"I don't wanna be in speculation" Then why make a fake leak for speculation? :mybodyisreggie: Maybe he remembered when everyone being driven out by rabid Smash dogs on twitter over this stuff lol
This guy and the "GUYS LOOK BETHESDA COPYRIGHT" instantly regretting their actions for making fake leaks and posting on Twitter, it's kinda funny.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I couldn't imagine leaving my friend bubble/art friends' circle and exploring greater Twitter. Every glance I've taken, it's just hell. Imagine actually speculating on Smash there... yikes.
Well, at least it is safer here some, right?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
"I don't wanna be in speculation" Then why make a fake leak for speculation? :mybodyisreggie: Maybe he remembered when everyone being driven out by rabid Smash dogs on twitter over this stuff lol
or maybe he doesn't want to get in trouble from Nintendo Ninjas. JK. Either way, he just wanted attention but it overwhelm him.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Everyone fearmongering Pokemon as the last spot

When "Celebration of gaming" is what Sakurai said in Byleth's presentation

And we don't have a Fire Emblem: Heroes rep yet.

Fire Emblem? Mobile game? Ah yeah, it's the perfect ending.

:4pacman:
It's also a scary ending, perfect, but scary, if you ask me.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Everyone fearmongering Pokemon as the last spot

When "Celebration of gaming" is what Sakurai said in Byleth's presentation

And we don't have a Fire Emblem: Heroes rep yet.

Fire Emblem? Mobile game? Ah yeah, it's the perfect ending.

:4pacman:
Based Ending.

Both a Gen 8 Pokemon and a Fire emblem Heroes rep would both be based endings.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
Wait there was an audio leak?

Anyways my favorite trailer was Terry's, watching all those juicy SNK references, like Geese falling or Iori possesed, and all of them did fit very well with the concept of getting the invitation.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really don't see why people think a cinderace/pokemon character is so likely.
I was saying the same thing a few months back for the opposite situation. Between CP9 - CP11, I did not hear a single peep out of any Cinderace supporters. That doesn't mean they didn't exist, but rather no one was so quick to call on Pokemon as an inevitable choice. But now that it's the very end, everyone's expecting first party and they're all expecting advertisement/shill characters. Is it because we ended on Fire Emblem last time? Maybe. Is it because we don't really have many new fresh faces to use left? Also maybe.

I'm at least sure this is just a bandwagon formed out of mostly pessimistic or nihilistic views, I don't think many people calling Cinderace are exactly going to be thrilled to see him. Especially since it's the third fire starter now. That's just begging for FE-tier criticism.

Let's remember what happened with Byleth. A majority group was calling out saying that the entire first pack of DLC would be third party simply because there hadn't been one until Byleth. When the reveal came, imagined the surpised Pikachu faces of many who got proven wrong. Now that the situation is reversed, I feel 100% confident that they're all wrong and it's gonna be third party. Just because you all like to call out patterns that are obviously not real. :iwatanod:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I really don't see why people think a cinderace/pokemon character is so likely. If they were going to have a pokemon from gen 8 it would have been in FP1, not 2 years after Sword/Shield's release. Maybe it's because smash speculation has been slowly slipping away from nintendo games and moving towards the mainstream, but I feel like it's way more likely we get a Zelda, Kirby, Splatoon, or Metroid character if they are going first party.
My reason for thinking that it's likely is because Smash reveal periods tend to end on a more low-key note, usually a first party (Wolf in Brawl, Duck Hunt in Smash 4, Incineroar in Smash Ultimate, Byleth for Smash Ultimate's first Fighters Pass). The one exception seems to be Bayonetta, who was revealed and released at the same time as Corrin.

When it comes to DLC, first party reveals tend to promote new, upcoming, or recent games (Piranha Plant is the only exception, and it seems like it was intended for the base game going by it being the only DLC character with a Palutena's Guidance), and there aren't a ton of recent first party releases to work with. Pokemon Sword and Shield seems like something that they'd potentially go with, considering the options, and from what little I know about the game's marketing, or its anime adaptation, Cinderace seems like the most prominent new Pokemon from that generation.

Plus, we haven't gotten a unique Zelda newcomer in 20 years (so I doubt that's happening), Sakurai seems to prefer focusing on Kirby content that he made (so Bandanna Dee, Dark Matter, etc. don't seem likely), it was a minor miracle that we got two Metroid characters in the base game, and I don't see them ending things off with a clone unless the mysterious bonus/blank space from the website files is a clone or collection of clone characters. (assuming that Octoling is the most likely option for another Splatoon character)

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but given how previous Smash speculation periods have ended, I'm not expecting someone like Crash Bandicoot, Sora, or Master Chief.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My reason for thinking that it's likely is because Smash reveal periods tend to end on a more low-key note, usually a first party (Wolf in Brawl, Duck Hunt in Smash 4, Incineroar in Smash Ultimate, Byleth for Smash Ultimate's first Fighters Pass). The one exception is Bayonetta, who was revealed and released at the same time as Corrin.

When it comes to DLC, first party reveals tend to promote new, upcoming, or recent games (Piranha Plant is the only exception, and it seems like it was intended for the base game going by it being the only DLC character with a Palutena's Guidance), and there aren't a ton of recent first party releases to work with.
Yeah, but what is Cinderace promoting though? Upcoming Pokemon games are the Gen 4 remakes and Legends Arceus, which aren't really Galar-focused at all.

We know that XB2 and ARMS missed the boat, but Incineroar was the definitive Pokemon rep choice for Ult.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
With Smash being over. I kinda got everything I want. Metroid Dread, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, etc.

I have everything I need. Probably gonna stay for general hype and wait for Prime 4.
Nintendo where's Eternal Darkness HD with the sanity effects of bricking the console or drifting joycons?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Wait there was an audio leak?

Anyways my favorite trailer was Terry's, watching all those juicy SNK references, like Geese falling or Iori possesed, and all of them did fit very well with the concept of getting the invitation.
yea, but it was deconfirmed by the leaker himself after getting a lot of attention. It's basically an audio of the Mii costume segment that he made and recorded the audio via phone.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
"Leakers" fake something for attention, come to find that attention might not be that great after all, come forward and apologize.
This is happening quite a bit!

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I agree that people where a bit fast to jump on the Cinderace/Gen 8 Pokémon wagon. I mean, even if they did end on a lower notes (becasue I really doubt they'll do another Steve or Sephiroth), there's many other first party or even smaller third party that they could have chosen. There's not just Pokémon that they could shill.

It's also funny that people called Resident evil and Astral chain dead because of the spirits event, but Pokémon is the big exception because "it's Pokémon and the final fighter is going to be bad trust me".

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I agree that people where a bit fast to jump on the Cinderace/Gen 8 Pokémon wagon. I mean, even if they did end on a lower notes (becasue I really doubt they'll do another Steve or Sephiroth), there's many other first party or even smaller third party that they could have chosen. There's not just Pokémon that they could shill.
forsure, they could shill metroid dread and add the emmi bot or shill luigi mansion 3 and add king boo

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only thing you can really add to have me pop off is if it's Waluigi. That'd make the entire internet crash, I guarantee you. It's a bit funny to see how many underestimate the love for the character, there are twenty times more people who like the guy than those who dislike him.

No character would truly be a bad addition though. :bowsette: You cannot disprove this.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's also funny that people called Resident evil and Astral chain dead because of the spirits event, but Pokémon is the big exception because "it's Pokémon and the final fighter is going to be bad trust me".
I guess it's because, assuming that post-launch spirit events rule out characters, then the main character(s) of Astral Chain was/were ruled out, along with basically every major character from Resident Evil. (assuming that Leon, Jill, Wesker, and Chris aren't options, who's left? Claire? Nemesis?) Meanwhile, with Pokemon, even if you rule out the version legendaries and the base forms of the starter Pokemon, there's still a bunch of other options just from that generation alone. (including the fully evolved forms of said starter Pokemon)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Leakers" fake something for attention, come to find that attention might not be that great after all, come forward and apologize.
This is happening quite a bit!
People make fake leaks and think they somehow aren't trolling when making fake leaks is the definition of trolling and grabbing attention. If I had the skills, i'd definitely ride it out until the very bitter end. I ain't afraid of no Twitter. :nifty:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo published bayonetta 2 a bit before, she's not really an exception. The thing is in advertising you want as many eyes as possible, and for "last dlc" you have max audience and therefore max promotion. So logically as a business move you promote during this time.
SMT5 and Legend of Zelda seem likely in that case. Metroid in theory. We got Kirby, Splatoon, Pokemon Brilliant and Legends, Triangle strategy, Advance Wars, Bravely Default all as potential 1st party picks with something currently being promoted in the nintendo store.
Then there is stuff like Ni no Kuni by bandai namco which is also being promoted a bit.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I was hesitant to bring that up, thank you. It's funny, you ride the dialog tree down, it always comes down to "it's the last fighter so it has to suck!" as if the gods would intervene to make sure of it.

And then they'll call you the unrealistic one.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Saw this in a thread and thought itd be interesting to look at it cause its pretty sound so im reposting it

Things we know about the next character;
-The Mii costumes will follow a theme related to the character they come with (happened every single time so far)
-Next character has a toy or figurine of himself of some sort (confirmed by Sakurai during Pyra's presentation that the remaining fighters had figurines of themselves)
-Next character won't be from the 2010's (Tournament theory which has been correct so far)
-Next character won't have a fire special move (same as above plus this tournament was delayed by 18 months just to include Pyra)
-Next character won't use his head for any attack at all (Tournament theory)
-Next reveal won't have wings (Tournament theory)
-Next character will have the same name everywhere (from Yoshichad's theory, we know they didn't bring back European voice actors, but now they didn't even record the crowd cheer in English for Kazuya when they did so for Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra, meaning that the last recording session didn't require an English crowd cheer for both characters).
-Any game that received a spirit event is out as they kept Byleth's game's event for the release of the character.
-Definitely not from Cuphead, Undertale or Shantae since these games received music as DLCs, and are still placed in the unrepresented franchises. Most likely these are out.

Now on the good news;
I have issues with most of these theories (I think they're dumb but I'm not going into it).
However with the first two:
There are very few Video Game characters that are big enough to be considered for Smash and don't have figures,bso this means basically nothing. And then there's Min Min and Byleth who both just don't have one, so it means literally nothing .
And the Mii costumes have not always followed a theme related to a character every time so far. In fact, the only times this happened were with Joker, Hero, Terry and Sephiroth.

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
My reason for thinking that it's likely is because Smash reveal periods tend to end on a more low-key note, usually a first party (Wolf in Brawl, Duck Hunt in Smash 4, Incineroar in Smash Ultimate, Byleth for Smash Ultimate's first Fighters Pass). The one exception seems to be Bayonetta, who was revealed and released at the same time as Corrin.

When it comes to DLC, first party reveals tend to promote new, upcoming, or recent games (Piranha Plant is the only exception, and it seems like it was intended for the base game going by it being the only DLC character with a Palutena's Guidance), and there aren't a ton of recent first party releases to work with. Pokemon Sword and Shield seems like something that they'd potentially go with, considering the options, and from what little I know about the game's marketing, or its anime adaptation, Cinderace seems like the most prominent new Pokemon from that generation.

Plus, we haven't gotten a unique Zelda newcomer in 20 years (so I doubt that's happening), Sakurai seems to prefer focusing on Kirby content that he made (so Bandanna Dee, Dark Matter, etc. don't seem likely), it was a minor miracle that we got two Metroid characters in the base game, and I don't see them ending things off with a clone unless the mysterious bonus/blank space from the website files is a clone or collection of clone characters. (assuming that Octoling is the most likely option for another Splatoon character)

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but given how previous Smash speculation periods have ended, I'm not expecting someone like Crash Bandicoot, Sora, or Master Chief.
You can find a million reasons for why X franchise won't get a new character or whatever, since smash hype cycles DO tend to end on a low key note as you said, I don't see why pokemon is the most likely? I mean yes it's the most popular franchise Nintendo has outside of Mario, but not only would it not be for any promotional material, but Pokemon already got a completely original newcomer in the base game and no other DLC character has been from a franchise that had as such.

Zelda not having had a newcomer in a while doesn't mean much, and Sakurai is willing to add things from Kirby games he didn't create as we see with Kirby and Dedede's final smash.

Even if you think a pokemon is likely, I think a splatoon character would be just as likely at this point.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The current state of Super Smash Bros. Speculation:

"I dunno just say whatever."
horny mode activated
"Wait NO-"

There's also a retrospective going on, and (mostly successful) attempts to stimulate conversation with fake leaks, but this is funnier.
No better way to go out as far as I see it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You can find a million reasons for why X franchise won't get a new character or whatever, since smash hype cycles DO tend to end on a low key note as you said, I don't see why pokemon is the most likely? I mean yes it's the most popular franchise Nintendo has outside of Mario, but not only would it not be for any promotional material, but Pokemon already got a completely original newcomer in the base game and no other DLC character has been from a franchise that had as such.

Zelda not having had a newcomer in a while doesn't mean much, and Sakurai is willing to add things from Kirby games he didn't create as we see with Kirby and Dedede's final smash.

Even if you think a pokemon is likely, I think a splatoon character would be just as likely at this point.
You had me at Splatoon character. 👀

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Someone was saying this was a credible leaker. They think it won’t be first party. Don’t know how credible this person is though. Thoughts?
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I really don't see why people think a cinderace/pokemon character is so likely. If they were going to have a pokemon from gen 8 it would have been in FP1, not 2 years after Sword/Shield's release. Maybe it's because smash speculation has been slowly slipping away from nintendo games and moving towards the mainstream, but I feel like it's way more likely we get a Zelda, Kirby, Splatoon, or Metroid character if they are going first party.
As said cos it's the series that can wait two years for a character it's that big. Pokemon isn't your usual Corrin in that they'd need it to come out as close to its launch game as possible as it's not that it uses smash to capitalize upon popularity. Pokemon gets capitalized upon through smash with new generations being repped every time there is a new gen. It's why the whole hot new pokemon has been going since Melee/Brawl. I get that people hate the constant suggestion of it being Cinderace or what have you, but at the same time, I don't think applying reasoning that doesn't really stick helps. Yes, you don't need to drop your hype levels to an all time low, but I also don't think that people should try and create reasons as to why these scenarios won't happen as it will ultimately just make you at least somewhat more indifferent to their inclusion should they happen, if you just acknowledge it as a slight possibility instead of trying to create reasons as to why it isn't likely to happen. Even if the choice is inherently controversial, it's obvious that you're going to be more indifferent to it if you don't try and give reasoning as to why it won't happen, where it would hypothetically happen.

It is one thing if the reasoning sticks, but I think its kinda common knowledge that if a Pokemon was gonna happen it would be saved till the end. The fact that so many people here view it as "doomer" is evident enough that it's a controversial choice and times that by a ton when you look at the entire community. In this scenario, they wouldn't market the pass as the way to buy the DLC characters, only to shove in some controversial character in the middle of it, as that would guarantee that people would just buy it separately, which Nintendo obviously doesn't want cos money and such. So saving any controversial character last in a pass or bundle format makes sense as most people would have bought the pass at that point. It just happens that this pass would have had a longer dev time than last so it had to wait longer than usual. We'll have to wait and see unfortunately, despite how cliché that may sound. Still here's hoping it isn't something that will tear the community in half, although of course Sakurai will find a way to make an appealing character overall either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom