• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Thing is, Camp Low-Key has ruled the roost forever now, and now that there is marketing, yes it probably doesn’t mean it’s an auto-Chief situation, but the discourse has been a hyperbolic to suggest it’s going to be the shilliest of shill picks for a while now so I absolutely cannot object to an occasional mention of Sora and the like.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Life/Sakurai/Intelligent Systems finds a way:

I doubt that they'll add a character from Fire Emblem Heroes, but I'm fully expecting that we'll get Cinderace.
Whoa! FEH is that much more profitable than the other mobile Ninty games?! 0.0

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Here are all the newcomer characters that were revealed in a general Smash Direct/Presentation just as a refresher.

April 2014::ultgreninja:
December 2015: :ultcorrin::ultbayonetta:
August 2018::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:
November 2018::ultken::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
December 2019::ultbyleth:
June 2020: :ultminmin:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm definitely trying to keep hype to a low on the safe side. As much as it would be great to end big, I am absorbing the possibility that it may not be as big as it's being hyped up to be. Like I don't mean to be on the sour side, but last thing I want is the hype train in me to crash and burn when the character is revealed and it's not exactly something to feel very hyped for. Got to have some stability when it happens.
To steer topic back on track.

What would you be "community pleasers?"

Characters that would excite the community, not necessarily yourself.

And if you had to pick some first AND third party characters, who would they be?
I'm more a "wild picks" person than a "community pleaser" person.

That said, Waluigi, Isaac, Master Chief, Dante, Sora, Monster Hunter, and some other notable picks, there are picks that I am pretty open to that the community would be excited for.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Yeah but like, what shill pick is there that's even still likely?

There are no upcoming Fire Emblem games to shill. SwSh got a spirit event which makes its standing shaky. I dunno fam, going "it's gonna suck because it's the final fighter" just seems too pessimistic for me.
W Willbuysmash4mw about to do an essay on Nahobino's chances now. :4pacman:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah but like, what shill pick is there that's even still likely?

There are no upcoming Fire Emblem games to shill. SwSh got a spirit event which makes its standing shaky. I dunno fam, going "it's gonna suck because it's the final fighter" just seems too pessimistic for me.
Who said the final character has to be a "shill pick?" I predict the last character is going to be a third-party character, but if the final character does end up being a first-party character, Dixie and Bandana Dee would still make sense and would make a lot of people happy.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think we're so in the dark about what we might get (and the precedents we do have been too inconsistent to go off of) that I don't blame anyone who thinks we're getting a mega hyped icon or those who believes that this will be a fairly standard Nintendo first party.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Who said the final character has to be a "shill pick?" I predict the last character is going to be a third-party character, but if the final character does end up being a first-party character, Dixie and Bandana Dee would still make sense and would make a lot of people happy.
But DLC wouldn't end on them though. As soon as the DLC format kicked in, any of those sorts of characters who were more so Nintendo all stars dropped low enough unfortunately, but the last character... Probably not unfortunately. Although ending Ultimate on Toad or something would be a really good way of ending it as its omission does seem kind of bizarre

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The saying is “hope for the best, expect the worst“, not “Christ above it’s gonna be Cinderace stop hyping” and that even is if you insist on being a pre-emptive party ****ter in the name of reverse psychologism (where instead of being disappointed at the end, you’re disappointed and jaded throughout like a smart person)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not even close to getting heated. I'm just worried that other people will react this way when we get something more lowkey.

Have you seen the last page?

Anyway, I think I'll give up on trying to get people to temper their expectations. Just... don't say I didn't warn you guys.
If we get fire chungus as the final fighter then it is how it is. I understand worrying about salt but that's gonna come regardless of who it is, someone will get upset. I'd just say enjoy the ride for the last two days and worry about the aftermath later, we aren't gonna have fun speculating like this for many years to come.

Life/Sakurai/Intelligent Systems finds a way:

I doubt that they'll add a character from Fire Emblem Heroes, but I'm fully expecting that we'll get Cinderace.
That's too doomery even for me......wait.....doomer......megadoomer?
It all makes sense now :pumpkin:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Here's some delusional hopium for you all. With the exception of Brawl every 'end' we've had has never really been an end. When base game Smash 4 ended they were already making DLC, when Smash 4 DLC ended the team almost immediately began working on Ultimate and when Ultimate's base game and FP1 ended, they moved straight away onto the next wave of characters. This however may be it for a significant amount of time (3-5+ years) so they may want to end this era of Smash's history with a bang. Is this a stretch? Maybe but It's nice to have some optimism.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Bro, we got :ultpyra::ultmythra: and :ultminmin. I think those count as Nintendo all-stars now.
The post said Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee... Those are unfortunately those base game level picks. Those two are obviously different as they fall under that current "hotness" thing that Nintendo has. By all stars, I meant from the perspective of being omitted from smash despite existing for a longer period of time. Would be cool, but they're probably being sat on cos there are other priorities for the current time and they are just super easy ways to sell off next game with.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Bro read the post I was replying to for context lol
Megadoomer brought up past instances of Smash ending with underwhelming character reveals like Corrin and Byleth.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Pyra/Mythra

This is a character that I'm torn on. On the one hand, it was more Xenoblade 2 content and I do like how they play. I generally like how they allow expression through which blade you prefer to use and how to synergize them. Do you play Pyra exclusively, Mythra, Or do you use both. They're a lot of fun. But I also think they don't represent Xenoblade 2 at all. Obviously they don't incorporate Rex, their driver at all. But I miss the "Jenga Tower" strategy that makes Xenoblade 2's combat system so fun. They're probably the weakest character of the season, but that by no means makes them bad characters.

I like Gramps as a stage. I think the layout is cozy and I like his commentary.

Xenoblade 2's music is great, I'm glad we got 3 remixes, my only complaint is that I wanted more and this was an opportuniy to include more songs from 1/DE and X and they didn't take it.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Since this is the last time I'll get to post Smash predictions for a long while, I figure I'll throw my hat in the ring. You never know. It comes in four parts:

1. Fighter = Protagonist (Shin Megemi Tensei V)

2. Mii costumes =
-Rayman
-Sora
-Spartan (Halo; it will be armor and they won't call him Master Chief for whatever reason)
-Raiden (Metal Gear Solid)
-Chun-Li
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Some SMTV character (male diety)
-Some SMTV character (female deity)
-Some old/retro SMT character

3. Stages
-Pyrosphere
-Jungle Hijinx
-Pac-Maze
-Poke-floats
-Rainbow Road
-SMTV (demon/real world changing stage)

4. Final mode = Boss rush featuring Porky as the final boss

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If we get fire chungus as the final fighter then it is how it is. I understand worrying about salt but that's gonna come regardless of who it is, someone will get upset. I'd just say enjoy the ride for the last two days and worry about the aftermath later, we aren't gonna have fun speculating like this for many years to come.

That's too doomery even for me......wait.....doomer......megadoomer?
It all makes sense now :pumpkin:
Haha most of the characters that I've wanted for FP2 (Heihachi, Travis Touchdown, Geno, Dante - basically one per character release) were turned into Mii costumes, so it's hard for me to be optimistic about this last character. (I'm fully expecting that we're going to get Doomguy, Impa, and/or 2B Mii costumes this time around for that same reason)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know who else fits this "imagination runs wild" hint?

King Mickey. Maybe based off of the Mickey we all know but this incarnation originated as a video game character.

What if Nintendo tried to get Sora but Disney wanted King Mickey instead?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Haha most of the characters that I've wanted for FP2 (Heihachi, Travis Touchdown, Geno, Dante) were turned into Mii costumes, so it's hard for me to be optimistic. (I'm fully expecting that we're going to get Doomguy, Impa, and 2B Mii costumes this time around for that same reason)
Ahh I get that feeling, most of my remaining most wanted got deconfirmed during the base and DLC cycles. At the bright side we did get Kazuya despite the Heihachi mii, so there's a silver lining at least. Who do you want that's still not deconfirmed btw?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Here's some delusional hopium for you all. With the exception of Brawl every 'end' we've had has never really been an end. When base game Smash 4 ended they were already making DLC, when Smash 4 DLC ended the team almost immediately began working on Ultimate and when Ultimate's base game and FP1 ended, they moved straight away onto the next wave of characters. This however may be it for a significant amount of time (3-5+ years) so they may want to end this era of Smash's history with a bang. Is this a stretch? Maybe but It's nice to have some optimism.
I'm not really going to get into a debate about every other instance but I just want to clarify that Smash 4 DLC wasn't something planned so in the context of Smash 4, Duck Hunt was always intended to be the final character back when the roster was finalised in 2012. Which makes sense as Sakurai treats every game like it is his last.

“When I made the second one, I thought, there’s no chance there’s going to be a third one, but I did make a third one. So I do think there is a possibility for a fourth. But I think actually making it would be very difficult.” –GSL on Brawl (Translation in the works for Source Gaming. Stay tune for the full text. Translation done by Soma.)
So that specific example doesn't really work. Also, Brawl wasn't the only "end" as Melee was also an ending. Not that this really changes the core of your point, but I feel like I needed to clarify something.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
You know who else fits this "imagination runs wild" hint?

King Mickey. Maybe based off of the Mickey we all know but this incarnation originated as a video game character.

What if Nintendo tried to get Sora but Disney wanted King Mickey instead?
Nintendo may pick the characters but it's ultimately Sakurai who makes the final call, and I don't think he would allow this.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Objectively, no
Subjectively, the only starter who would be "mega-rad" is Decidueye and Rillaboom in particular is only slightly better than Cinderace imo.
I mean yeah it’s not the most hype of all but compared to the attitude Pokémon gets, a gorilla with a drum that shoots out vines is pretty great. I like Cinderace’s design for Pokémon but again I’m afraid they’ll phone in his set with a greatest hits of Smash Bros.’ famous kicks

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ahh I get that feeling, most of my remaining most wanted got deconfirmed during the base and DLC cycles. At the bright side we did get Kazuya despite the Heihachi mii, so there's a silver lining at least. Who do you want that's still not deconfirmed btw?
Doomguy's my big one; him, Geno, and Dante were in my top three, in no particular order. Interviews seem to indicate that he's not happening, though.

Amaterasu from Okami would be great, but considering that Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Devil May Cry didn't make it into the playable roster, I don't see Okami making it.

Likewise, 2B from Nier Automata would be amazing, but I doubt that's going to happen. (mostly because I don't think they'd want to end off with a combo-heavy character like what happened in Smash 4)

Captain Toad, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, or any Zelda character (it's been twenty years since a new unique one was added - I'll take Tingle at this point) would be great, but I don't see any of them being the final DLC character given how the past DLC characters have gone. (first party characters either seem to be veterans or promoting something very recent, with Piranha Plant being the sole exception - even then, Piranha Plant seems like it was intended for the base game, since it's the only DLC character with a Palutena's Guidance)

Beyond that, I'm not sure - Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, or Sol Badguy would be great, but I'm not up to date on those series, so I'd mainly want them in from a historical standpoint, as opposed to being a super-fan of any of those series.

(I'm assuming that a character being a Mii costume, assist trophy, or post-release spirit rules them out)

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am actually leaning more towards Sora reading up on the leaks but to heck, here is what I am going with:

Rayman

Mii Costumes:

Globox
Barbara
Crash Bandicoot
Jonesy
BOTW Zelda Costume
Ryu Hayabusa
Doomguy

I think Sakurai will announce some minor DLC still coming (Mii Costumes, perhaps an extra stage (this one maybe doubtful), continued Spirit Events and Multiplayer events).

Since this is the last one, I am wondering if we will go out with a bang and get a new mode such as "Break the Targets".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom