• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ah OK. I wasn't there for the initial discussion.

Definitely one of the best things to come out of Richter's inclusions. Interestingly, it seems that the small differences to denote personality do actually make people favor Richter over Simon. (I'm not people, but how much of that is me preferring Simon's pallet swaps over Richter's, I don't know.)
Richter also has an anime design compared to Simon the Barbarian, though Richter's the most popular Belmont in Japan and I highly doubt he's not top 3 worldwide

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
He should have

But the fact he's here at all makes me smile

Sakurai acknowledging an age-old internet meme was glorious.
Honestly, I didn't expect Richter at all since like most I thought it'd just be Simon with maybe a color scheme that referenced him. Getting Richter as his own character, even with the very small changes he has, is still such a treat to me.

Also Simon stole more moves from Richter, he's the clone designation be damned.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as new Echo Fighters go, I'll always hold to the idea that an Echo Fighter should present enough meaningful gameplay changes in comparison to their original fighter that there are actually interesting decisions to be made when picking one or the other, which is why I can't get into picks like Gooigi, who I don't believe present enough differences from the source fighter to do this.

Richter also has an anime design compared to Simon the Barbarian...
But I thought we didn't like anime. :troll:

remembers earlier conversation

Wait no. Bad joke! Ba-

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I remember when Sephiroth was first announced the anti RPG crowd called him a generic anime sword villain. It was fun explaining that that archetype is so generic because they're all just based on Sephiroth. He's not generic, he was just so cool that everyone copied him.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
I really have no prediction for the final character. This entire pass a shocked me each time we get a reveal. My only prediction is that we are going to get a Plant type deal on Tuesday. I don't think its likely but its my only prediction I can make.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
God

3 days to go, and then this is all over.

It's been 3 years, 3 very long years, and frankly, I don't really care who it is, just knowing that Ultimate will finally be 'done' is exciting.
I can't speak for anyone else but it's definietly gonna leave me with a hollow feeling even if it's someone I love. I'm not ready to get off of Mr. Sakurai's wild ride just yet.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I really have no prediction for the final character. This entire pass a shocked me each time we get a reveal. My only prediction is that we are going to get a Plant type deal on Tuesday. I don't think its likely but its my only prediction I can make.
What do you mean exactly? A character so left field it floors us all or another minion type character?

If so, I'm rooting for Eggplant Wizard!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, even with a Gen 8 Pokémon for fighter 11, I could see a curveball in terms of selection within that context. Cinderace is a possibility, but even my own cynicism about getting another Pokémon character is tempered with the memory of Sakurai & company having some surprises in terms of franchise choices.

Noipoi

Howdy!
God

3 days to go, and then this is all over.

It's been 3 years, 3 very long years, and frankly, I don't really care who it is, just knowing that Ultimate will finally be 'done' is exciting.
On the one hand, it’ll be very strange to finally have smash finished. Smash speculation has been a big part of my life for so long.

On the other hand. I’m sick of this **** :wario:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I started typing that when somebody was talking about Daisy's lack of uniqueness but had to go pick up the phone. Some relatives were wishing me happy birthday, as today is my birthday. When I was done, I finished typing it and hit send though the thread naturally had moved on.
Happy birthday! Hope today is a good day for you.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
The only characters that have shocked me in both passes are Joker (simply because he was the first, not that the spot isn’t merited.) and Terry (because I had no idea who he was.) for Fighters Pass 1. For Fighters Pass 2 Sephiroth was the only one that shocked me.

I called Hero, Banjo, Byleth, Min Min, and Steve, and so far as Pyra & Mythra go, I thought it would be Rex & Pyra/Mythra, and as far as Kazuya goes, I always thought someone from Tekken was potential. I just thought Heihachi would’ve been first.

I have no idea who this final character is, and the only thing I have to go off of is gut feeling and hopes. My gut is telling me it’s something Pokémon related. My heart is telling me Sora.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Honestly, even with a Gen 8 Pokémon for fighter 11, I could see a curveball in terms of selection within that context. Cinderace is a possibility, but even my own cynicism about getting another Pokémon character is tempered with the memory of Sakurai & company having some surprises in terms of franchise choices.
This is how Dracovish wins.

:4wario:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
We get Toxtricity as Sakurai delves into his choices of non-videogame music during the presents

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Instead of Cinderace they just go Yamper who throws a ball about for cool setups and combos. Only difference is that all attacks are electric based and the kicks that Cinderace would have are now just really weak headbutts which have no use other than comboing into the ball. Would this be better than Cinderace or worse?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
For people complaining about others doomposting about Cinderace.
I think it's the shadow of "smash ends in disappointment" and the Rabbit **** looming over us for so long that makes people worried.

There's one character left.
We've been surprised again and again, for all of every fighter passes so far
We just don't want this to just stop and crash into a wall for the final one

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
You’re all missing the obvious choice.

Galarian Stunfisk.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For people complaining about others doomposting about Cinderace.
I think it's the shadow of "smash ends in disappointment" and the Rabbit **** looming over us for so long that makes people worried.

There's one character left.
We've been surprised again and again, for all of every fighter passes so far
We just don't want this to just stop and crash into a wall for the final one
I'm predicting Cinderace but I'm not doom posting.

I fully trust Sakurai to go all out on making a crazy footballer character all while we wonder if it was meant to be a Imuza Eleven character.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Instead of Cinderace they just go Yamper who throws a ball about for cool setups and combos. Only difference is that all attacks are electric based and the kicks that Cinderace would have are now just really weak headbutts which have no use other than comboing into the ball. Would this be better than Cinderace or worse?
Better because Yamper is the GOAT

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I saw someone mention Roll as an Echo Fighter for Mega Man, and I'd like to talk about it, as it's as interesting a proposition as it is awkward. Roll has been a clone of Mega Man in the past, but Super Smash Bros. very obviously sticks to the source material a heck of a lot more than Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 does, with Mega Man being one of the culminations of that. All of Roll's other playable appearances do not give her a buster, and instead have her use her iconic broom or...whatever she got in Mega Man 11.

The exceptions are a Japanese only mobile (and I mean like, pre-smartphone mobile) port of Mega Man where she did have a buster but couldn't use Robot Master weapons for whatever reason, and Mega Man X DiVE where every character seems to have various different arm canon graphics even if they already have an arm canon. It's also worth noting that even in Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, she didn't have an actual arm canon, but rather, put on an attachment whenever she wanted to use Roll Buster or related moves (something similar happens in Mega Man X DiVE where her arm canon disappears into the ether during animations that don't use it, which implies that it is also an external attachment). Even in Mega Man X DiVE though, she does still have her...uh...whatever she got in Mega Man 11, so the cleaning device that I can only assume is supposed to be a broom is still treated as Roll's "thing" (she is still a helper robot after all).

So with all that in mind, would it make sense for Roll to be an Echo Fighter of Mega Man at present? I honestly don't know. If she did, I'd say replacing the Mega Buster with Roll Swing is a must, and I think it would make the most sense if you stuck with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2's logic of her using an external arm cannon attachment for attacks that require it. The rest is kind of a question of whether or not that would work, and how much of that can be avoided through changing the attacks themselves.

You do also have to keep in mind that a canon playable Roll is kind of an inevitability at this point (with this being something both the fanbase and the devs are interested in pursuing IIRC), and could change how she should operate in Super Smash Bros. as well.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The only characters that have shocked me in both passes are Joker (simply because he was the first, not that the spot isn’t merited.) and Terry (because I had no idea who he was.) for Fighters Pass 1. For Fighters Pass 2 Sephiroth was the only one that shocked me.

I called Hero, Banjo, Byleth, Min Min, and Steve, and so far as Pyra & Mythra go, I thought it would be Rex & Pyra/Mythra, and as far as Kazuya goes, I always thought someone from Tekken was potential. I just thought Heihachi would’ve been first.

I have no idea who this final character is, and the only thing I have to go off of is gut feeling and hopes. My gut is telling me it’s something Pokémon related. My heart is telling me Sora.
To be perfectly honest, if he wasn't already in I think Joker would still shock people for CP11. Even compared to the other dlc, Joker is a major shock. Persona is booming right now, but it's nowhere near the level of Tekken, Minecraft, FFVII, or Dragonquest in terms of size or popularity, and it has almost no association with Nintendo. As one of the few people who predicted Joker, I thought it was mainly a good possibility because 1. Sakurai loves it, and 2. Nintendo was still committed to the 3DS publicly and the only 3DS game still coming out was Persona Q2. We now know that Nintendo selected the dlc, so I'm guessing that it was the second reason. I personally think Joker deserves the spot purely because of what a masterpiece Persona 5 is and because of the cool content he brings, but even by the dlc standards we have now he's a left field pick.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes, though I'm a tad too lazy to go quote them all.

Technically, this is a repost of the image from June, but hey, gives something to talk about lol.
The first one fits Reimu...
The second one fits Master Chief...
The ninth fits Waluigi...
Hrrrrrm!
I know this is just for fun, leave me aloooone!

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I mean a character that just just is a character. Doesn't come with stage, music, and spirts.
The character is advertised as a Challenger Pack in a Fighters Pass though, so I don’t think that’s possible at this stage.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Im still gonna say Doomguy. I feel like people are being very selectively weird about excluding him

He makes the most sense to me right now honestly. Things seem to be adding up moreso for him than most the other characters people have talked about recently tbh

Ivander

Smash Legend

Technically, this is a repost of the image from June, but hey, gives something to talk about lol.
Got close with Pyra and Kazuya. Let's see if 3rd times the charm.

And still got to see if CP11 will turn out to be Purple for that DLC Character Color theory. The day keeps getting closer and closer.

Technomage

Smash Champion
All this Sephiroth reminiscence got me thinking: who do you folks want as the next FF rep? Assuming Cloud and Sephiroth come back next game with all their content, who would you want coming with them and why?
My pick is Kefka, because he's the best Final Fantasy character ever, simply because he once said "Ruh-roh!" XD

Edit: Though Cinque from Final Fantasy Type 0 could be a close second, especially if, in Opera Omnia, she referenced Big Fat Meanie. XD

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Momotsuki Momotsuki im curious, what all are the mods you have for Smash? Aside from characters
Got close with Pyra and Kazuya. Let's see if 3rd times the charm.

And still got to see if CP11 will turn out to be Purple for that DLC Character Color theory. The day keeps getting closer and closer.
Purple fits one of my mws that has a realistic shot rn

yes I am trying to manifest Octoling what of it 🐙

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Richter also has an anime design compared to Simon the Barbarian, though Richter's the most popular Belmont in Japan and I highly doubt he's not top 3 worldwide
It's a shame, I've always preferred Simon and the 80s Castlevania designs over Richter and the modern ones. Makes Simon stand out on the roster more. I love that we just have jacked, Conan looking dude in the game. Much better than the redesigns Simon's gotten over the years.

To shift gears and talk about what others have mentioned, white it is a shame FF content in Smash is relegated to just one game, I think it's excusable given the sorry state of FFVII content in the base game. That needed fixing before we added any other FF games into the mix. Now that FFVII's issues have been fixed, now we can focus on other entries for the next Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom