• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
if i could pick a character i would def go with ahri to make myself happy with the roster only one DLC missed for me.

if i could pick a character to make the competitive scene tremble in fear it would be Ivy from soulcalibur (smash 4 bowser grabs with minmin range and a sword) and inputs that would give smash players an aneurysm.

DgETqqNV4AApM2t.jpg

if i could pick a character to make smashbaord explode with salt it would be Saber. (videogame character she counts) anime swordswoman.

the two characters i think are near impossible to implement accurately are tracer and astral chain characters.

Moonfire

Smash Rookie
With all due respect to DOOM, Doom Guy is just one of those third party characters that only really got serious traction in Smash circles because of DOOM 2016 and other Bethesda games being ported over to Switch. Same thing happened with Crash, who didn't really make it big until Crash N. Sane Trilogy was announced for Switch in the very same Direct Smash Ultimate was teased at.
DOOM 2016 absolutely did have an influence on Doomguy's support, you're not wrong; it was the rebirth of the franchise and brought DOOM back to the mainstream after a pretty long drought. And the fact it was ported to a Nintendo system, rekindling that seemingly previously-dormant relationship between id Software and Nintendo, definitely gave fans hope for more collaboration in the future (be it Smash or sequels, as has happened with Eternal).

But I think there's a bit more to it than that.

DOOM has had a history with Nintendo going all the way back to the SNES (id Software's relationship with them even further still, with the whole "Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement" thing), and had releases/ports up through the GBA era - even having a fully unique mainline installment on the N64 that was Nintendo-exclusive for over 20 years. Ever since third party reps. have been a possibility Doomguy has always had some degree of support for Smash, however small.

But the reasons it was never as vocal as it is now (as I see it) was more that there was (A) little overlap in its core community with Smash (and even still, there are those in the DOOM community who are actively against him being in Smash) but mainly (B): The notion that M-rated regular gun-toting characters were pretty much forbidden or impossible in Smash for age ratings reasons.

Issue (A) was partially lessened by DOOM 2016 bringing in new fans of the series, some of whom may have gone back and learned its history and tried the older games, and seen the potential for a Smash inclusion.

And regarding (B), I think something that really added fuel to the possibility (and thus vocal support) of Doomguy in Smash was Bayonetta's inclusion in Smash 4 and more recently Joker's in Ultimate. Bayo especially due to her game's themes, but both featured previously-unseen degrees of gun "acceptance" (for lack of a better word) compared to other characters. Snake seemed to get away with his weaponry because they were all explosives, but now Joker can carry a regular-looking pistol (in-universe mechanics aside)? You can see how some would think the door's been opened somewhat. (Whether that's actually the case or not.)

I think Doomguy is one of those characters that if not for the age ratings concerns and lack of popularity overseas he would probably already have some sort of representation, be it a character or at least a Spirit event. id Software pioneered the FPS genre as we know it with DOOM being cited as the game that really kicked it off (it had predecessors of course), they've been longtime allies with Nintendo, and they've spoken multiple times about wanting Doomguy in Smash. It's a bit of a shame that rich history hasn't resulted in anything in Smash. (Though again, understandable given the aforementioned issues.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Are there more League of Legends characters than Ahri? She’s all I hear about, why’s that?
Nope. League of Legends is a MOBA with only one character. :p

She's probably a mascot of sorts, though in this case I could easily see this being another "we think this character makes the most sense, but they ended up picking someone else anyway" type deal.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Your best bet might be Zapple (half charged Side B) since - I just tested this in Training - it slightly outranges Blazing End and can force either trades (which can be in Hero's favor if he has Oomph, it buffs Side B too) or otherwise keep Pyra at bay.

(Also Acceleratle helps a lot, especially vs. Mythra.)

I'll be happy with practically anyone really. I'm saying that partly since my MW is not likely to appear in the slightest, but mostly since I'm going into this with a very open mind. I didn't know I'd enjoy Kazuya a ton before I started playing him.

But of the "realistic" options, I'm gonna go with Adol primarily.
Did you try it with the flicked version? Because I think that'll still hit me even at a full range zapple. Cos that is the range I try and stay at and I always have to watch out for it. And yeah, Acceleratle is good always!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So, who do you guys want to be the last fighter?

EDIT: 2500 pages, guys!
Well most of my big wants have already passed me by but there's still hope for a lot of my b-tier ones.

Here's a grand list I made of all characters I think are plausible, split up into categories

1. Nintendo Owned

Gen 8 Pokemon (see section 7 for picks)
BotW Zelda
BotW Champion(s)?
Dixie Kong
Bandanna Dee
Chibi-Robo
Paper Mario
Sylux
Splatoon character (Octolings?)
Euden (Dragalia Lost)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Decidueye (Holdover from base or Legends promo?)
Metal Mario [gotta have a wildcard]

2. Sega Owned

New Sonic character
-Eggman
-Tails
-Blaze
-Metal Sonic
Arle from Puyo puyo
SMT 5 Protagonist

3. Capcom Owned

Phoenix Wright
Chun-li
Ametasteru

4. New 3rd Party (Japan)

Ryu Hiabusa (Koei Temco)
Granblue character (Cygames)
Professor Layton (Level 5)
Jinbanyan (Level 5)
Reimu (Whoever owns Touhou)
Saber (Fate/Stay... you know that one with the Waifu versions of historical figures, Type Moon)

5. New 3rd Party (misc.)

Rayman (Rayman, Ubisoft)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot, Lawsuit Magnet)
LoL character (League of Legends, Riot)
The Default guy from the game that all the kiddi-winks love. (Dabbing Simulator, Epic Lawsuit)

6. Strange grey area

Sora (Kingdom Hearts, Square Enix/Disney, What does the rodent have to say?)
Doomguy (DOOM, ID/Bethesda/Microsoft, Was negotiation had before the buyout?)

7. Pokemon Corner

Rillaboom
Cinderace
Intelleon
Haternne
Falinks
Dracovish
Zacian
Zamamzenta

blackghost

Smash Champion
Are there more League of Legends characters than Ahri? She’s all I hear about, why’s that?
her design is based on the fox spirit already a popular choice. She is a mage dps in game. (popular role). she also stars in one of league's oldest and most popular cinematics (59 milllion views on the main channel) so even whwen people dont know the name they know who she is very often.
and i think she may be one of the free champions as well.

almost any character that makes a cinematic has a fanbase to back them. the characters chosen arent random.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well most of my big wants have already passed me by but there's still hope for a lot of my b-tier ones.

Here's a grand list I made of all characters I think are plausible, split up into categories

1. Nintendo Owned

BotW Zelda
BotW Champion(s)?
Dixie Kong
Bandanna Dee
Chibi-Robo
Paper Mario
Sylux
Euden (Dragalia Lost)

2. Sega Owned

New Sonic character
-Eggman
-Tails
-Blaze
-Metal Sonic
Arle from Puyo puyo
SMT 5 Protagonist

3. Capcom Owned

Phoenix Wright
Chun-li
Ametasteru

4. New 3rd Party (Japan)

Ryu Hiabusa (Koei Temco)
Jinbanyan (Level 5)
Saber (Fate/Stay... you know that one with the Waifu versions of historical figures, Type Moon)

5. New 3rd Party (misc.)

Rayman (Rayman, Ubisoft)
The Default guy from the game that all the kiddi-winks love. (Dabbing Simulator, Epic Lawsuit)

6. Strange grey area

7. Pokemon Corner

Rillaboom
Cinderace
Intelleon
Haternne
Falinks
Dracovish
Zacian
Zamamzenta
Watch that it turns out to be none of these.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So, who do you guys want to be the last fighter?

EDIT: 2500 pages, guys!
My top three most wanted are Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy), Magus (Chrono Trigger), and Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads). Needless to say that Zegram and Magus have basically no chance but I haven’t given up on the Battletoads and I think there is at least a small chance they could make it considering Nintendo’s relationship with Microsoft.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Octoling
Elma
Sora
Doomguy
Crash
Cinderace
Sgt Cortez
Master Chief
Chozo Dude
Neku
Frisk
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Battletoads
Decidueye
Nahobino
Waluigi
Isaac
Phoenix Wright

Names I see brought up by this thread's regulars. Daily. I miss anyone? Probably.... But I would be happy for any of these characters as cp11 since it's mw of one or more of you fine people. Feel free to add to this The List of MW by Smashboards DLC Speculation Vol 2 posters.

(I pick Master Chief)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
She’s one of the most popular

though some other popular ones include Lux, Jinx, Kai’Sa, Miss Fortune, Ekko, Ezreal, Akali, Yasuo, Xayah, Rakan, Cho’Gath for a non-humanoid… and Evelynn but she’s too NSFW for Smash

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that input gives everyone an aneurysm.
not really 3d fighters usually have a few characters with "unofficial inputs" that are required to play at high level such as kazuya in tekken. an input like double down in 2d drives players nuts because its not precise.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Octoling
Elma
Sora
Doomguy
Crash
Cinderace
Sgt Cortez
Master Chief
Chozo Dude

Names I see brought up by this thread's regulars. Daily. I miss anyone? Probably.... But I would be happy for any of these characters as cp11 since it's not a mw of one or more of you fine people. Feel free to add to this The List of MW by Smashboards DLC Speculation Vol 2 posters.

(I pick Master Chief)
You forgot Neku

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A a history fan Edelgard just made me glad men like hitler, musonlini, and others werent straight up attractive. I think its why edelgard gets a lot of execuses made for her. Even though the game itself tells you she is an unreliable narrator.

THree houses lords are so liked and discussed becuase they took character arctypes that are normally villains in FE games: blood thirty revenge seeker, unstable king, and trickerster general and made them the protagonists (notice i did not say good guys only claude has a good argument to be the good guy)
Ehhhh I strongly dislike the Hitler comparisons because antisemitism, which is what led the ****** to power, was always rampant throughout history whereas Edelgard's thing is about seperation of state and church rather than hating those who were hated for centuries, I remember hearing about political figures who did what Edelgard did with the seperation from church stuff who historians often debate if they were morally correct but unfortunately I don't remember the names. I think it's also an insult to 3H's writing as it shows the Lords at their best when Byleth is with them and at their worst otherwise and trying to make the game black and white when it clearly wants to be as grey as possible removes whatever nuances there are, like, I dislike Dimitri, but I think framing him as pure evil is wrong too just as is Claude being 100% good despite commiting multiple war crimes himself.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Everyone keeps talking about how Cinderace would be disappointing and everything, but, uh.

I don't see how it doesn't end up having a sick as hell moveset at the very least. Most of the Pokemon characters end up being pretty cool to me, so.
Well, outside of making Pyroball a core part of the moveset, there‘s definitely potential to absolutely phone in the moveset and have him kick for like 23 moves. Pessimistic of me, but a Neutral B Pyro Ball projectile accompanied by different kicks doesn‘t excite me as much as incorporating soccer cliches in the taunts and stuff would be rad.

Nope. League of Legends is a MOBA with only one character. :p

She's probably a mascot of sorts, though in this case I could easily see this being another "we think this character makes the most sense, but they ended up picking someone else anyway" type deal.
Yeah, I get the strategic potential of rallying behind a specific character but when it comes to LoL I feel there‘s more inspired choices to be made.

her design is based on the fox spirit already a popular choice. She is a mage dps in game. (popular role). she also stars in one of league's oldest and most popular cinematics (59 milllion views on the main channel) so even whwen people dont know the name they know who she is very often.
I get that she’s a frontrunner for the role with those credentials, but I feel I can’t get a grasp on the speculation because LoL fans have rallied behind Ahri even though I feel there’s more characters that are popular and featured in media outside of the game. If she’s one of the free champions, I definitely understand why she’s chosen.

She’s one of the most popular

though some other popular ones include Lux, Jinx, Kai’Sa, Miss Fortune, Ekko, Ezreal, Akali, Yasuo, Xayah, Rakan, Cho’Gath for a non-humanoid… and Evelynn but she’s too NSFW for Smash
Ah, thank you, that‘s a nice list!

Octoling
Elma
Sora
Doomguy
Crash
Cinderace
Sgt Cortez
Master Chief
Chozo Dude

Names I see brought up by this thread's regulars. Daily. I miss anyone? Probably.... But I would be happy for any of these characters as cp11 since it's mw of one or more of you fine people. Feel free to add to this The List of MW by Smashboards DLC Speculation Vol 2 posters.

(I pick Master Chief)
Oh, I almost forgot to say today that I believe it’s gonna be Off The Hook

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

1. Nintendo Owned

BotW Zelda
BotW Champion(s)?
Dixie Kong
Bandanna Dee
Chibi-Robo
Paper Mario
Sylux
Euden (Dragalia Lost)

2. Sega Owned

New Sonic character
-Eggman
-Tails
-Blaze
-Metal Sonic
Arle from Puyo puyo
SMT 5 Protagonist

3. Capcom Owned

Phoenix Wright
Chun-li
Ametasteru

4. New 3rd Party (Japan)

Ryu Hiabusa (Koei Temco)
Jinbanyan (Level 5)

5. New 3rd Party (misc.)

Rayman (Rayman, Ubisoft)

6. Strange grey area

7. Pokemon Corner

Rillaboom
Cinderace
Intelleon
Haternne
Falinks
Dracovish
Zacian
Zamamzenta
Good list, but I would be curious why did you put Chibi robo in the Nintendo owned? No judgment but I really think that's pretty much impossible and others smaller Nintendo franchise that you didn't mentionned are more likely (like Rhythm heaven, Advance wars or even Golden sun). Honestly I don't see Nintendo picking Chibi robo after Zip lash killed the franchise.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Whatever happened to that theory/rumor that the last dlc character would be a tribute to Iwata?

I still think that would be a nice touch. Plus it’s probably the only way to get Mach Rider in

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
an input like double down in 2d drives players nuts because its not precise.
Ya know it's weird. It sounds like the easiest input known to man, but in practice it's really difficult for some reason (at least from what I experienced with Amaterasu in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds).

Yeah, I get the strategic potential of rallying behind a specific character but when it comes to LoL I feel there‘s more inspired choices to be made.
I mean, there is a galaxy dragon. I would love to play as a galaxy dragon. I don't really get how Ahri is uninspired though. She is kind of a trope, but not one that's particularly common, and her abilities aren't common either, at least outside of the MOBA scene.

Is this just a case of mascots being boring to people even if they're not inherently so?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Whatever happened to that theory/rumor that the last dlc character would be a tribute to Iwata?

I still think that would be a nice touch. Plus it’s probably the only way to get Mach Rider in
Ultimate itself is a tribute to Iwata as the ballot was his idea and most people think it's gross to go "My most wanted would be a tribute to a dead man". Plus, the person who came up with it is a hack

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ya know it's weird. It sounds like the easiest input known to man, but in practice it's really difficult for some reason (at least from what I experienced with Amaterasu in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds).

I mean, there is a galaxy dragon. I would love to play as a galaxy dragon. I don't really get how Ahri is uninspired though. She is kind of a trope, but not one that's particularly common, and her abilities aren't common either, at least outside of the MOBA scene.

Is this just a case of mascots being boring to people even if they're not inherently so?
I feel more inspired choices are easily made in a game with a rodent scout firing poisonous blow darts so it’s not as much an insult to Ahri as much as the other characters are worth exploring as well

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
MIN MIN:
Honestly I don't have a lot of thoughts, so I will not be gushing about this inclusion like I did for Byleth yesterday. Arms was a fairly successful new IP and it always made sense for Smash, just narrowly missing the boat for base. I played a bit of Arms and it didn't really connect with me, but I loved the aesthetic and music slapped so I was all for an inclusion. So when they said "an Arms character will be joining the battle" I was fairly excited. But then there was the three month period of the Arms guessing game and that was honestly one of the most exhausting and tedious times in speculation. We had narrowed it down to four characters almost immediately with a few outliers and it was nothing but the same like three discussion points over and over. I was pretty confident that it would be Min Min so it became a lot of just waiting around for them to go ahead and confirm it.

I find Min Min kinda fun to play but she's not a character I'm playing all time. It can be fun to kinda turn your brain off and spam though. I don't have the burning hatred for fighting her like a lot of people do but I rarely play online and the people I play with in person don't really play her so maybe I don't have enough exposure. That being said, a pretty solid challenger pack. Spring Stadium, despite being kinda boring aesthetically is fun. And of course he music is good. I'm glad that they also rounded most of the Arms cast with spirts. Makes the game feel more whole. For some reason I have a memory of Max Brass being the most annoying DLC spirit to fight so far. Or maybe it was the Phantom Thieves or Hero's Comrades I don't really remember.

All in all Min Min's a solid addition. I'm glad Smash had added characters from the Switch to the roster. Makes the whole thing feel like an update celebration of Nintendo. It's part of why I'm not adverse to Sword and Shield in the last slot. Plus Sword and Shield mons have potential for fun movesets, a cool stage, and great music.

And since I didn't do it yesterday here's my FP1 plus Plant ranking. I like pretty much all of them. Plant is just more indifference than dislike.

Terry > Byleth > Banjo > Joker > Hero > Plant

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Good list, but I would be curious why did you put Chibi robo in the Nintendo owned? No judgment but I really think that's pretty much impossible and others smaller Nintendo franchise that you didn't mentionned are more likely (like Rhythm heaven, Advance wars or even Golden sun). Honestly I don't see Nintendo picking Chibi robo after Zip lash killed the franchise.
Because he is. The only other Nintendo section is dedicated to Pokémon.

I suppose you could question why he's on the list at all since everyone they're supposed to be plausible, but eh.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Ultimate itself is a tribute to Iwata as the ballot was his idea and most people think it's gross to go "My most wanted would be a tribute to a dead man". Plus, the person who came up with it is a hack
Ah ok so it actually did come from some person and wasn’t a collective community thought. Thank you for the concise answer!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Min Min day?

I like Min Min's inclusion. The waiting game was painful (a ton of people figured out immediately that it'd be Min Min because she won the final Party Crash and was Yabuki's favorite), but I'm really glad she's here. I don't play her much if at all because her playstyle doesn't really click with me, but I have a friend who had Min Min as one of their most wanted characters and I did genuinely enjoy ARMS when playing with other people, so she's fine. Plus, her trailer was pretty fun and stylistic. Min Min also opened the door for Pyra later, who was one of my most wanteds for base game alongside Banjo.

Love the music on her stage, ARMS has a really good soundtrack imo, but I do still find it odd that Min Min came with Spring Man's stage. It's a fun stage though, so I can't be too upset.

All in all, a nice start to Pass 2, if a bit lowkey.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, a bunch of people like her (for reasons that other posters already mentioned) and I didn't have it in me to make threads for other Champions, if I'm being honest.

almost any character that makes a cinematic has a fanbase to back them. the characters chosen arent random.
To be fair, others also fit in this category. Rie's list was a good indicative.

And as far as I remember, the free ones were Garen, Ashe and Brand. It's been years since I started my account tho, so maybe something changed.

get that she’s a frontrunner for the role with those credentials, but I feel I can’t get a grasp on the speculation because LoL fans have rallied behind Ahri even though I feel there’s more characters that are popular and featured in media outside of the game. If she’s one of the free champions, i
Fair enough. Maybe I'll do a big-ass post with some other choices in my free time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel more inspired choices are easily made in a game with a rodent scout firing poisonous blow darts so it’s not as much an insult to Ahri as much as the other characters are worth exploring as well
So it's not that Ahri is uninspired, it's that there are characters that are more inspired than inspired?

...That's a pretty nebulous metric, and it does sound a bit like you just prefer other characters, but I'm game with discussing the other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom