• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I honestly don't get the appeal of Sora.

His design, voice, personality especially the whole "Friendship is my powah!!!!" is just ugh...Comes across as some fangirls gary-stu of a character, also factoring in Kingdom Hearts basically being crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game with poor writing and the premise being just the re-tellings of Disney films with Final Fantasy thrown in.

That's just me though, nothing against anyone whose a fan. I just don't understand.
I've done it. I've finally done it.

The one thing I have never done before:

I have recognized bait!

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can say that Crash Bandicoot, or Master Chief. I'm just unsure to stay since my last bad experience of Smash 4 Final Presentation.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tomorrow marks the first day of October. I get that some are speculating characters being spooky since October 5th is the day, but I don't buy it.
Doesn't Japan not care about Halloween, and consider the end of Summer to be spooky?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Heyyy. It’s Min-Min day.

Min-Min is pretty cool. ARMS is pretty cool, I like it’s weird comic book-like world. Her moveset is unique and interesting, but I’m too much of a smooth brain to really get into it.

When she first dropped I played her a lot. Cuz it was quarantine, and she was the first smash release after six months. And the last one I wasn’t really into. But as more characters dropped with movesets I liked better, I kinda fell off her. She’s still cool though. Props to anyone who can make her works cuz I sure as hell can’t.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
As we creep closer to the big day, I realize that I’m running out of things to ask.
Would you say that Smash’s full roster has truly made itself complete with in your eyes, or was it alright beforehand?
The Smash roster is never truly “complete“, and the roster has expanded to new direction with its DLC, more than it completed what it started.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Min Min is a cool addition to the game from a character standpoint. She was my favorite character from Arms so I was pretty happy that she was the one that got the pick.

God help you if you have to fight her though. Especially if it's a good one.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
As we creep closer to the big day, I realize that I’m running out of things to ask.
Would you say that Smash’s full roster has truly made itself complete with in your eyes, or was it alright beforehand?
In my eyes, the roster is as close to complete as it could feasibly be. Of course I feel it would've been more complete if it had Decidueye, Phoenix, Isaac, Geno, etc and a bunch of other characters that I want but we have almost all of the big name Nintendo characters, a good amount of modern-day Nintendo characters, a bunch of awesome iconic third-party characters, and some weird **** I would've never expected to see but love nonetheless.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I never thought the whole "Hero" situation would have been likely for ARMS because of the characters different personalities, idle stance and various animations in the own home game. Min Min and Ribbon Girl having the exact same victory animations and taunts as Spring Man would have been completely out of character for them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d say it’s complete, though it would be more so if I at least had Elma and/or Neku.

at least I can still see Octoling making it

and yeah that’s my final prediction; Octoling. Or maybe Off the Hook

Noipoi

Howdy!
IMO, all that’s missing is like Dixie Kong, Tails, Crash, Chief, and an indie character.

There are others of course, but these are the minimal characters for the roster to be complete in my eyes.

Not to say the roster is lacking though. It’s pretty damn great.

blackghost

Smash Champion
It is genuinely fascinating how Smash 4 changed how people view Fire Emblem. Robin was a good newcomer and Lucina was an easy clone for a popular character. Not many complaints other than Chrom missing the cut.

People wanted Roy back because "Roy's our boy!" He came as DLC alongside some other cut veterans. Everything completely changed the moment Corrin came. Really felt like a switch flipped overnight on the franchise. The pure vitriol was kinda disgusting. Even years later despite only getting one true newcomer in Byleth due to good timing the negativity was wild.
THE FE fanbase is largely indifferent to roy and marth as well. marth get respect as the OG protag but characters like hector and lyn loom LARGE over him. The smash fanbse towards FE is die a hero or live too many reps to become a villain.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I could not sleep harder if the last fighter was a Mario or Pokémon rep.

unless it's Cynthia. Pokémon trainer style

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
THE FE fanbase is largely indifferent to roy and marth as well. marth get respect as the OG protag but characters like hector and lyn loom LARGE over him. The smash fanbse towards FE is die a hero or live too many reps to become a villain.
That surely has to come from Blazing Blade being the first Fire Emblem to really make it to the west. People might have gone back to the classic afterwards and enjoy the Smash editions, but a lot of people (me included) have Lyn and Hector as their favourite Lords because they're some of the first they experienced.

Awakening was another big boom in favourite characters, and Smash really just took three of those and ran with them lol.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Ehh, it's close. To this day I still don't know how someone like, say, Dixie Kong didn't make it in yet.

But even with some characters that I think are glaring omissions, I'm still pretty damn satisfied with what we got. I mean, I can beat the **** out of Sonic the Hedgehog with Kazuya Mishima. Kinda hard for me to really be disappointed in that.

blackghost

Smash Champion
The number of characters isn't as much of a problem as the number of them that are derivatives of Marth.

Literally half the FE characters are just a variation of him, to the point where haters just assume Robin's the only unique one due to having a meter of some kind.
But heres the problem with that line: it ognores the fact that the SMASH fanbase demanded those derivative of marth back into the game meaning chrom and roy. The smash fanbase wants to be listned to then got mad for being listened to. We also know lucina was gonna be a costume and then was made a charatcer becuase they were trying to do some fanservice.
Personally i think Roy and chrom each should go next game. thats just my opinion unless they get moveset overhauls. FE should do more characters that demonstrate its diverse rosts not its sword lords who often arent the characters the fanbase loves the most.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
We kinda moved on from the FE talk yesterday. It somehow went in a very potato brain direction. I'm good from going down that route again.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
ER0xAfoUcAAxrVk.jpg

Nope, and this is how I'll always feel unless it turns out to be Isaac next week.
Obviously he is in the game in both Trophy and Mii costume capacity, but it's not what any of us were wanting 18 years on.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, who do you guys want to be the last fighter?

EDIT: 2500 pages, guys!
I want Doomguy to be the last fighter, though if interviews are any indication, then it doesn't seem like it's happening. If that's the case and he's ruled out, then I'd like to see Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot (or, for characters who seem like long-shots but still seem possible, Sol Badguy, 2B, or Amaterasu).

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
For me personally?

I don't like Edelgard because I find the game (and the fandom) excuses her bad behavior too much.

Ridley and Sephiroth are inarguably evil, but they're portrayed as evil. No one is gonna try to justify their actions. We love to hate them and see them lose. The game doesn't want us to cheer them on.

Edelgard gets away with crimes I feel she shouldn't get away with and doesn't even feel guilty for committing them. I find her to be a nice morally gray villain, but a trash tier hero. Cheering her on is very hard for me.

Some aspects of morality shouldn't be compromised imo.

That's just my two cents.
A a history fan Edelgard just made me glad men like hitler, musonlini, and others werent straight up attractive. I think its why edelgard gets a lot of execuses made for her. Even though the game itself tells you she is an unreliable narrator.

THree houses lords are so liked and discussed becuase they took character arctypes that are normally villains in FE games: blood thirty revenge seeker, unstable king, and trickerster general and made them the protagonists (notice i did not say good guys only claude has a good argument to be the good guy)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Until the roster looks like this it will never be complete in my eyes.

Smash Ultimate if I had it my way small.png

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I just hope CP11 doesn’t focus on feeling exactly like you’re playing the game of origin. We’re 80+ characters in, people have settled on mains and I just can’t be bothered to learn a heap of gimmicks slapped on a character anymore. It’s all fun in theory but if a character is not fun to play as or against then what’s the point?

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh I know, but I'm a Hero so half of my stuff has too much end lag to shield it if I haven't been careful. Also I can't Bounce the Blazing End once it starts spinning, and it does that at the ideal range i want to space at. Reee!
Your best bet might be Zapple (half charged Side B) since - I just tested this in Training - it slightly outranges Blazing End and can force either trades (which can be in Hero's favor if he has Oomph, it buffs Side B too) or otherwise keep Pyra at bay.

(Also Acceleratle helps a lot, especially vs. Mythra.)

So, who do you guys want to be the last fighter?

EDIT: 2500 pages, guys!
I'll be happy with practically anyone really. I'm saying that partly since my MW is not likely to appear in the slightest, but mostly since I'm going into this with a very open mind. I didn't know I'd enjoy Kazuya a ton before I started playing him.

But of the "realistic" options, I'm gonna go with Adol primarily.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright, so...Min Min. I gotta be honest, Min Min on a roster without Spring Man also on it is a bad decision in my eyes. Perhaps that'll change in the future if ARMS gets another game and she takes over as mascot, but for now, I don't agree with her inclusion. All that said though, she is a pretty decent character.

I like how her character specific mechanics were handled for the most part. Her Up Smash does seem to be a little dumb in the competitive side of things, but I do think it's a creative way to handle it if they didn't want to attach a reflector to her dodges, or just have it destroy projectiles since that would be a fairly nothing mechanic (aside from her dodges being a bit more safe against projectiles). Her Dragon ARM does add a layer of complexity to her, so that's good as well.

I like how her ARM set worked out as well, with Ram Ram being good at harassing people, Megawatt being the big K.O. tool, and Dragon having some utility with its lasers that stops it from being the "why would you ever pick the middle road over the more specialized ones" option (though the fact that she always has a Dragon ARM at all times does still make it a bit more niche).

Casually, the fun begins when you find out just how stupid Punch is. To this day she is still the only character that I will pull something off with and go "lol that was not OK". On some level, it probably isn't; I'm not sure the fact that she can make deep edge guards from onstage is fair for most characters. As far as the rest of her interactions go, she does seem to be fairly polarizing, or at least annoying with characters that can deal with Punch giving her tons of trouble, and characters that can't being "GG EZ", and that extends (:awesome:) to the players as well (though that's a bit more par for the course). And I can also understand people finding her pretty boring, as even though Punch has a fair amount of nuance to it, it is still her entire gameplan for the most part. This is to be expected since it also represents the entirety of ARMS, but I do wonder if it would be against the spirit of the character if her other moves would be just a tad more relevant in matchups (though I should stat that I'm also not sure exactly how big of a problem this is in the first place; if it isn't really broke, then I probably wouldn't try to fix it).

Spring Stadium
As much as this is a better stage than Ramen Bowl would have been...why does the Min Min pack come with Spring Man's stage? Oddities aside, the stage is alright. Nothing to really write home about, but alright. And as always, ARMS music is a bop.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
The Smash roster is never truly “complete“, and the roster has expanded to new direction with its DLC, more than it completed what it started.
I honestly feel as though we are missing

(__ Lightbringer Knight / Savior __)__from __ Dungeon Fighter Online

(__ Master Chief __)__from __ Halo

(__ Wizard __)__from __ Diablo

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I want it to be Crash, cuz I think it’d be rad. Sora would also be cool. Or an Undertale/Deltarune character.

The sadist in me wants Cinderace, cuz I know it would piss people off.
Cinderace? No, no, no you gotta try to do better.

Jonesy from Fortnite or a 9th Fire Emblem character. Imagine that salt that alone would create.
Alright, so...Min Min. I gotta be honest, Min Min on a roster without Spring Man also on it is a bad decision in my eyes. Perhaps that'll change in the future if ARMS gets another game and she takes over as mascot, but for now, I don't agree with her inclusion. All that said though, she is a pretty decent character.
The way I can see it for in the chance we get an ARMS 2 maybe Min Min might become the new mascot of the series the same way Morrigan had for Darkstalkers.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm glad Min Min made it and not Spring Man. If he made it, my god the floodgates would have opened. Though maybe every assist trophy fan being annoying would be better than just Waluigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom