• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I much prefer Chief over DoomGuy. Reason 1 is personal attachment. Reason 2 is all I can think of when I see DoomGuy is over the top blood and gore. Translating that character faithfully into a "kid friendly" game sounds difficult.

Yes yes, Bayonetta, but even with her lewdness toned down she still seems pretty Bayonetta.

Ridley too, but I don't really think of blood and gore when I think of Ridley violence.

I'm not really one to debate over the character though. It isn't up to me. There's plenty of violent characters in Smash with crazy CG trailers so meh. If Sakurai thinks he can represent DOOM faithfully without all that then respect to him. I just prefer Chief.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
While he does comment on things now and then, Sakurai is usually very hesitant nowadays to talk about the games he likes or has been playing.
The dude can't even enjoy some interior decor without people breathing down his neck, imagine if he actually talked extensively about the games he's been playing...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Sora and Doomguy, two of my top three most wanted characters are from Microsoft and Square-Enix but are totally different characters. I enjoy KH but I’m not a big Sora fan. I’d still like him for all the other content he would bring. I’ve only owned the original DOOM and rented DOOM 64 so I don’t have a huge connection with Doomguy. He’d be pretty cool though.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh yeah, the internet isn't a place to breathe easy since he is the creator of Smash Bros. It will reduce immensely once the Last Challenger is revealed. However, the question of when is the next Smash Bros will begin in about 1-2 years after the last Mr. Sakurai Presents video.

Which I can predict that the next smash game isn't coming until another console is announced. Maybe 3-4 years later after the switch's lifespan

CureParfait

Smash Ace
After playing DR chapter 2 I got reminded of how much I love the Undertale verse, and while I don't think it's very likely I would absolutely be down for an Undertale/Deltarune character as the final character. Mostly because I want to beat up Incineroar while Attack of the Killer Queen plays in the background tbh
Same here but with Big Shot and Undertale music wise is Death by Glamour.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I much prefer Chief over DoomGuy. Reason 1 is personal attachment. Reason 2 is all I can think of when I see DoomGuy is over the top blood and gore. Translating that character faithfully into a "kid friendly" game sounds difficult.

Yes yes, Bayonetta, but even with her lewdness toned down she still seems pretty Bayonetta.

Ridley too, but I don't really think of blood and gore when I think of Ridley violence.

I'm not really one to debate over the character though. It isn't up to me. There's plenty of violent characters in Smash with crazy CG trailers so meh. If Sakurai thinks he can represent DOOM faithfully without all that then respect to him. I just prefer Chief.
I mean this might sound stupid, but here's a thought:
Joker had some blood/gore going on with his All Out Attack in Persona 5. In Smash, it's sparkles instead of blood coming out of opponents. So maybe for Doomguy, if we try to work with something on the spectrum of sparkles, maybe have those slashes that come up when you're attacking opponents appear precisely close to one another, and make that color red or something.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Joker had some blood/gore going on with his All Out Attack in Persona 5. In Smash, it's sparkles instead of blood coming out of opponents. So maybe for Doomguy, if we try to work with something on the spectrum of sparkles, maybe have those slashes that come up when you're attacking opponents appear precisely close to one another, and make that color red or something.
Idk. Doesn't sound all that interesting. It's the same, but RED!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

If Suda 51 is confident that Travis Touchdown can be toned down and still work in Smash (potential spoilers for No More Heroes 3 in the interview), and characters like Bayonetta or Gray Fox can be toned down and still work for Smash (in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Gray Fox was slashing people into pieces and turning hallways full of soldiers into a bloody mess - that's clearly not the case when he's summoned as an assist trophy), and characters like Ridley can fight in a brutal way without blood or gore involved, I don't see why it's seemingly impossible for Doomguy to work in Smash. (it seems like how people said that Ridley's too big, and that it's impossible for any developer to scale him down, while ignoring or dismissing any examples where the Smash developers scaled characters up or down)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I have a question. Did Bethesda told the fans to watch the direct from last week? Because I found this.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I asked him, but he couldn't find it. Can anyone find the post? Because there was nothing Bethesda related stuff in that direct.
How reliable is this guy?

Doom Slayer's chances has been dashed regardless, it's time to move on.

Also regarding CacoMallow...

WHY. WON'T. YOU. JUST. DIE!!!!!!!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ehhh sparkles seem unneccesary, especially as we already have bloodless moves that are surprisingly brutal while Doom Slayer is also a pretty comical character all things considered, just have his brutality show in his anomations like Ridley's Skewer or Snake's necksnap

SKX31

Smash Master
Huh, so today I learned that this is apparently Goofy's french name.

EDIT: For the curious, he's "Pateta" over here in Brazil, which is one of a few possible literal translations of Goofy.
Damn it, I keep forgetting to call him Goofy when writing in english since Mickey and Donald have the same name in french.
I'm gonna add another weird Goofy translation: my native Swedish, where he's Långben (Long Legs). Mickey and Donald do have different names in Swedish TBF (as well as the other Nordic languages IIRC) so the risk of accidentally calling Goofy by something else isn't as prominent.

Booba fine.

Prominance Revolt! Prominence-Prominence Revolt! ~Kpshhh~ GAME!

Make it stop.
You forgot the Blazing End spam. :roll: (Prominence Revolt is TBF ridicolously unsafe if shielded or missed, you also wanna take advantage of the very little horizontal drift it has. Blazing End is more difficult but rolls do help there. In general, both Pyra's and Mythra's specials are ridicolously unsafe if whiffed.)

Maybe that’s the key to getting MK characters in Smash, just do what SNES version of Mortal Kombat 1 did.

“Man Scorpion is destroying Mario; look at all that sweat coming out of him!”
Scorpion about to join :ultwiifittrainer: as the characters who help other characters get fit. Only Scorpion's methods are a bit... strange. :4pacman:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If Suda 51 is confident that Travis Touchdown can be toned down and still work in Smash (potential spoilers for No More Heroes 3 in the interview), and characters like Bayonetta or Gray Fox can be toned down and still work for Smash (in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Gray Fox was slashing people into pieces and turning hallways full of soldiers into a bloody mess - that's clearly not the case when he's summoned as an assist trophy), and characters like Ridley can fight in a brutal way without blood or gore involved, I don't see why it's seemingly impossible for Doomguy to work in Smash. (it seems like saying that Ridley's too big, and that it's impossible for any developer to scale him down)
I never said it was impossible. In fact, read the bottom of my post again. I said if Sakurai can make it work without all that then respect to him. I just think Chief is easier since you don't have to skirt around all that, as blood and gore isn't a core part of what people think about Halo.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The problem with Doomguy to me is the stage. A stage is good, but hell influence may affect the company's choice. It could be reduced to meet the standards, so I'm fine with it.
I mean a good chunk of the Doom series also takes place on Mars. If Hell is really that big of an issue then that's the next best thing.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ehhh sparkles seem unneccesary, especially as we already have bloodless moves that are surprisingly brutal while Doom Slayer is also a pretty comical character all things considered, just have his brutality show in his anomations like Ridley's Skewer or Snake's necksnap
Good point.
I'm def on team "He could probably be toned down no problem"
I'm just curious as to whether Sakurai would say something like "It wouldn't be true to his nature, I don't know..." or something.
Given your points, and Mike's example with Suda 51 and Travis, though, maybe Sakurai could make it work and make him adequately true to his home nature.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, I can somewhat say the reason why that leak still has fuel is because of the Last Challenger all or nothing mentality and It's the Spooky Month

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s something I haven’t seen brought up yet. You know how mature games don’t tend to show the title in the trailer and instead we get “Smash x Dante” or “Smash x Kazuya”? What are they supposed to do with Doomguy? He doesn’t really have a real name and just has the game’s title in his name.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Good point.
I'm def on team "He could probably be toned down no problem"
I'm just curious as to whether Sakurai would say something like "It wouldn't be true to his nature, I don't know..." or something.
Given your points, and Mike's example with Suda 51 and Travis, though, maybe Sakurai could make it work and make him adequately true to his home nature.
I do think Sakurai could make it work, but it does feel like something he'd comment on if he didn't want to do it. (Like Ridley in Brawl or smash 4)

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I'm not that familiar with the entire Doom franchise. I know the older games had blood and violence and what not but correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they hyper Mortal Kombat level gore only really start with the 2016. Like he's always been a violent character but do the old games even have something comparable to glory kills?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
On topic of Bethesda
If Vault Boy was a fighter, he could potentially be easier to work with, and stage wise, there are options like the junkyard from Fallout 4.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The problem with Doomguy to me is the stage. A stage is good, but hell influence may affect the company's choice. It could be reduced to meet the standards, so I'm fine with it.
Considering that Bayonetta summons demons (and her inclusion in Smash 4 referenced the Gates of Hell by name, so they weren't as picky about it as they were in Melee when Chunky's verse of the DK Rap was changed), and Kazuya turns into a demon, and Doom games also take place on Mars or Earth, I figure they can work around it.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
As we creep closer to the big day, I realize that I’m running out of things to ask.
Would you say that Smash’s full roster has truly made itself complete with in your eyes, or was it alright beforehand?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Still, any character that has become a Mii costume may be reserved as a fighter in the Smash Bros game.

So, which characters do you think may become a Mii costume for the last Mii cosutme wave 11?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Nobody should take my fighter opinions seriously because my main want for the last fighter is a Dread shill pick. Give me big bird.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I honestly don't get the appeal of Sora.

His design, voice, personality especially the whole "Friendship is my powah!!!!" is just ugh...Comes across as some fangirls gary-stu of a character, also factoring in Kingdom Hearts basically being crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game with poor writing and the premise being just the re-tellings of Disney films with Final Fantasy thrown in.

That's just me though, nothing against anyone whose a fan. I just don't understand.

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
You forgot the Blazing End spam. :roll: (Prominence Revolt is TBF ridicolously unsafe if shielded or missed, you also wanna take advantage of the very little horizontal drift it has. Blazing End is more difficult but rolls do help there. In general, both Pyra's and Mythra's specials are ridicolously unsafe if whiffed.)
Oh I know, but I'm a Hero so half of my stuff has too much end lag to shield it if I haven't been careful. Also I can't Bounce the Blazing End once it starts spinning, and it does that at the ideal range i want to space at. Reee!

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm not that familiar with the entire Doom franchise. I know the older games had blood and violence and what not but correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they hyper Mortal Kombat level gore only really start with the 2016. Like he's always been a violent character but do the old games even have something comparable to glory kills?
The older Doom games are much more tame compared to modern Doom. The most gory thing in them really is the mancubus death animation, and it's still nowhere close.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I honestly don't get the appeal of Sora.

His design, voice, personality especially the whole "Friendship is my powah!!!!" is just ugh...Comes across as some fangirls gary-stu of a character, also factoring in Kingdom Hearts basically being crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game along with poor writing.

That's just me though, nothing against anyone whose a fan. I just don't understand.
It's not really something you'd understand unless you grew up with the series.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, who do you guys want to be the last fighter?

EDIT: 2500 pages, guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom