• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Remember when we were talking about Piranha Plant and surprise characters? That got me thinking: What if we get a surprise character that's a Pokémon one day? Like, it's not a starter. It's not a Legendary. It's not even particularly popular. The devs just had a really interesting moveset idea and they did it.

...Actually, at this point a particularly popular Pokémon that isn't from the current generation could qualify as a surprise pick at this point couldn't it...That's kinda depressing.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Remember when we were talking about Piranha Plant and surprise characters? That got me thinking: What if we get a surprise character that's a Pokémon one day? Like, it's not a starter. It's not a Legendary. It's not even particularly popular. The devs just had a really interesting moveset idea and they did it.

...Actually, at this point a particularly popular Pokémon that isn't from the current generation could qualify as a surprise pick at this point couldn't it...That's kinda depressing.
If they picked Pokémon based on popularity and not advertising the newest gen, no one would have a problem with Pokémon reps.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I see some people have been doing a retrospective of the DLC fighters so far, so I'll do a quick overview of the ones I missed to catch up:

:ultpiranha: : This character is such an anomaly to me. The reveal had me laughing, but they're in this weird limbo where I don't associate them with the base roster because Plant isn't base roster, but I don't really associate them with DLC because they don't have a full Challenger Pack. Still, Plant is a decent pick when I want to do something wacky, even if I don't really know how to use them or make their moveset connect properly.

:ultjoker: : Unless CP11 tops this by being one of my most wanted with a crazy reveal (Phoenix, Neku, Estelle, etc.), Joker will easily be my favorite reveal. I popped off watching the Game Awards live -- Joker wasn't even on my radar as a possibility for Smash Ultimate at the time, but if I had considered him, he'd have been near the top of my list in terms of hype. So I was absolutely blown away when that envelope turned around to show the Smash seal. I like the video presentation with all the Phantom Thieves chiming in, but I do wish he got a proper Sakurai Presents.

Gameplay-wise, I enjoy zipping around with his mobility, and Gun is a fun move to use to mess with people. I played him for a while alongside ROB, but I found that the ebb and flow of taking advantage of Arsene when he shows up could get a bit too stressful for me to use him as a main, especially after the nerfs to the meter. Still, I'm thrilled with how stylish they made him and his stage, and I like to play him every now and again.

:ulthero: : I will never get over the fact that in a game with goofy characters like Game & Watch, ROB, and Wii Fit, the character with the goofiest shenanigans is from friggin Dragon Quest, one of the most traditional RPG franchises out there. I didn't really get hyped over the reveal since the only DQ game I played beforehand was IX on the DS, but his bonkers moveset alone makes the challenger pack worthwhile for the fun factor.

I played on Yggdrasil's Altar a lot when I focused on ROB, since it gives him a big playground to use his projectiles. It's fallen to the wayside a bit in favor of stages like Minecraft World, Spring Stadium, and Northern Cave, though. Still, it's a nice stage, even if the music selection is my least favorite of the Challenger Packs.

:ultbanjokazooie: : A summary of my thoughts on Banjo's Challenger Pack would probably be "Neat pack, but not for me." I didn't grow up with Banjo, so I don't have that emotional connection. His moveset is okay I guess. I have to always keep the possibility of a Wonderwing at the forefront of my mind when I fight against him, but he's not as annoying to deal with as I thought he'd be initially. His stage is the only one I actively dislike though -- the rotating disorients me, and even with hazards off there's that little corner where people can camp and this big gaping empty space on the other side.

Still, the fact that Nintendo and Microsoft were able to make an agreement for Banjo was super cool from a crossover standpoint. Maybe now that Banjo-Kazooie will be on the Switch Online Expansion Pack, I can give it a shot and see what all the hype's about.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Don't know why, but this was the first Pokemon that came to mind when I saw "just had an interesting moveset idea"

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Smash we go.
If they picked Pokémon based on popularity and not advertising the newest gen, no one would have a problem with Pokémon reps.
And we'd still have no Gen 3, no Gen 5 and no proper Gen 2 Pokemon. And there is a thing as "too many Gen 1". Or is that the point? Or is it pointing out the hypocrisy?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Don't know why, but this was the first Pokemon that came to mind when I saw "just had an interesting moveset idea"

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Smash we go.

And we'd still have no Gen 3, no Gen 5 and no proper Gen 2 Pokemon. And there is a thing as "too many Gen 1". Or is that the point? Or is it pointing out the hypocrisy?
Falinks is the only choice for CP11

osby

Smash Obsessed
Judging by how much heat Greninja got despite its popularity, I think people care about Pokemon's age more than how popular they are.

Also, in that case our roster would probably even more biased towards Gen 1 and not sure if I want that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Judging by how much heat Greninja got despite its popularity, I think people care about Pokemon's age more than how popular they are.

Also, in that case our roster would probably even more biased towards Gen 1 and not sure if I want that.
Tbf Pokemon X and Y were out for literally 6 months when Greninja got announced which makes it impossible to see if they'd have longterm popularity

Noipoi

Howdy!

Greninja got really popular a couple years after XY’s release. Thanks to the anime.

Greninja in smash was like, six months after XY came out.

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman

The overriding moral of all these years of speculation is "people are ****ing hypocrites"

Greninja got really popular a couple years after XY’s release. Thanks to the anime.

Greninja in smash was like, six months after XY came out.
Greninja was definitely already topping popularity polls when it was announced for Smash. They gave it a significant role in the anime because of its popularity, not the other way around

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
In honor is Banjo’s Remembrance Day, I played him in some online tournaments and won, no locals today, but still feels good to blast some fools with grenades I pooped out and wait for even more foolish people to foxtrot away in anticipation for me to spam Wonderwing back on stage only for me to laugh as I know how to play Banjo and thank them for the free return to stage.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
In honor is Banjo’s Remembrance Day, I played him in some online tournaments and one, no locals today, but still feels good to blast some fools with grenades I pooped out and wait for even more foolish people to foxtrot away in anticipation for me to spam Wonderwing back on stage only for me to laugh as I know how to play Banjo and thank them for the free return to stage.
It's really crazy to think that it has been 2 years since Banjo, almost a year since Steve, and almost 3 years since this game came out.

Don't know what happened to time.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Greninja was definitely already topping popularity polls when it was announced for Smash. They gave it a significant role in the anime because of its popularity, not the other way around
They don’t write the anime scripts around popularity polls, greninja was just the gen 6 lucario and their marketing worked

edit: but if we do get another promo pokemon I hope it’s something weird like orbeetle, corvinight, dragapult, eternatus, or grimmsnarl

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They don’t write the anime scripts around popularity polls, greninja was just the gen 6 lucario and their marketing worked
Sylveon was the Gen 6 Lucario. Well, Sylveon and Mega Mewtwo Y.

Greninja was probably chosen much the same as Incineroar. They gave Sakurai a choice among the starters, and he went with what he found interesting moveset-wise. It's just with Greninja he chose a character that would end up being very popular.

When the character was revealed, the reception was surprise more than decisively positive or negative, because solo starters hadn't happened before and people didn't think they would. At that time Mewtwo was the most predicted addition, since none of Gen 6 stood out as a plausible choice.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well if we doing retrospective on Smash Ultimate, I got to ask

-What was your Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?

-What was your Least Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?

Shroob

Sup?

Favorite: Vergeben base game

Least favorite: Cacomallow

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well clearly they didn’t know about Klefki.
I actually do remember that we talked about Klefki a lot, for some godforsaken reason. Not in the context of getting it as a character, not in the context of Smash at all... more just because... it was keys.

Paging Klefki fan Opossum Opossum . Paging Klefki fan Opossum Opossum .

Sprout leak. That was the closest I came to thinking Isaac would be playable.

Anything said by Verg, Sabi or Fatman between FP4 and 5. Take your pick. It was, iirc, the first time I took an extended break from spec during Ultimate, because it was truly awful.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice

I think my favorite was the Grinch leak, only because of how interesting it was and how everyone thought it was real.
At the time, I was very skeptical when that leak was being talked about, the only character I really wanted from that leaks was :ultken:, and after seeing him in that leak, I had this song on repeat up until the reveal, in which he ended up being the only character confirmed in base roster from that leak, in which I find hilarious.

My least favorite is Vergeben's claims, while he was right a vast majority of times, it ended up getting really stale after a little while and I eventually stopped reading his stuff altogether.

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero

I don't have a favorite, but my least favorite is either Grinch or Verge, both had a very negative impact on how I felt when Incineroar was revealed and I'm still not over it. Not to mention Verge basically killed Decidueye's support base.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Favorite: Probably any of the legit leaks like SNK or Brave. because it not only got people talking about the more obscure characters but it was also fun seeing people's alternatives in case they ended up being errors or not what was initially thought.

Honorable Mention: Grinch, Mostly just because the mysterious origins and the effort put into it. It was very painful though.

Least favorite: Any leak that was just a list of characters that may or may not be in (Vergeben's Challenger Pack 5 List, that one leak with like 50 characters on it.)

Dishonorable Mention: Rapper Mario

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't have a favorite, but my least favorite is either Grinch or Verge, both had a very negative impact on how I felt when Incineroar was revealed and I'm still not over it. Not to mention Verge basically killed Decidueye's support base.
Ehhhhhh Decidueye went on life support as soon as Ivysaur popped up, Verge didn't even specify what Pokemon it'd be until like 2 months prior to the game's release. Seriously, look in Decidueye's support thread around the time E3 2018 came and went

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Ehhhhhh Decidueye went on life support as soon as Ivysaur popped up, Verge didn't even specify what Pokemon it'd be until like 2 months prior to the game's release. Seriously, look in Decidueye's support thread around the time E3 2018 came and went
I was there. I remember that. But there was still support for Decidueye from people who actually wanted them, and only when Verge said it's not gonna be them did everyone take that as hard disconfirmation and stopped talking about them (though I left Smashboards after that point so I don't know for sure).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Decidueye support lasted longer than Mimikyu support, which ended in the August Direct with the Pokeball reveal. Decidueye support carried on until Verg specified Incineroar, because, despite what some people believed, the character wasn't supported solely because of the type "trifecta".

It was a legitimately popular Pokemon in its own series, and yet its Smash support got hand-waived away to patterns as if there would be no natural popularity crossover. Very strange.

The characters who lost their support after E3 are barely remembered to be active at all. Takamaru, Lyn, Krystal, Bomberman, etc. Decidueye lasted longer than that.

Shroob

Sup?
Grinch leak was an awful time for the community at large, but damn if it wasn't impressive, if not straight up illegal.

Nothing, nothing, will beat Cacomallow as being hands down the worst leak though, if only because it just kept getting brought up over and o----oh **** I'm doing it right now ****

Noipoi

Howdy!
Grinch leak was an awful time for the community at large, but damn if it wasn't impressive, if not straight up illegal.

Nothing, nothing, will beat Cacomallow as being hands down the worst leak though, if only because it just kept getting brought up over and o----oh ** I'm doing it right now **
My favorite part of the Grinch leak is all the crazy coincidences that made it look legit. Like the Wendy’s video that showed an item that looked conspicuously like something from Golden Sun. Stuff like that.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

• Favorite leak: Sassy Geno. It was obviously fake, then at some point a "credible source" said that one of the old leaks was overlooked and true so people started to exclude other leaks only to reach the conclusion that Sassy Geno was the real one (lol). It was a funny situation, especially because the leak was meme worthy and people took it seriously.
  • Least favorite leak: Grinch and Cacomallow; both horrible leaks that brought in a lot of toxicity in the community, especially the grinch one.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was there. I remember that. But there was still support for Decidueye from people who actually wanted them, and only when Verge said it's not gonna be them did everyone take that as hard disconfirmation and stopped talking about them (though I left Smashboards after that point so I don't know for sure).
I didn't stop talking about him till Incineroar was announced!

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507

Favorite: Purple and yellow chairs supposedly confirming Waluigi/Skull Kid, people on smash facebook groups were really believing and it was so nonsense and desperate that ended being hilarious.

Least favorite: Cacomallow, played with my feelings (mw doomguy) and for some reason people are still bringing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom