• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
What's the general consensus of that 4chan music 'leak' from back in July about the presentation on October 5th?

I ask because I already know it's been discussed to hell and back, and don't feel like sifting through 10s of pages to find out :smash:

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
To be fair I wouldn't care about Waluigi being added or not as CP11, it wouldn't make me angry, dissapointed or happy. However, I don't know what's the smash/nintendo's fanbase obsession wtih Waluigi, I don't see anything special with that character, to me is just a generic bad guy and I have played most of the mario sports games.
I don't know why people say "what's so special about Waluigi" when literally the majority of the characters in the Mario Universe have one voiceline and personalities that are just as shallow as Waluigi.

People like Waluigi because he stands out from the rest of the characters, he doesn't look the same as most other mario characters and his design is silly. His personality of being a sore loser is not something that other mario characters have.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Because Vergeben leaked him. Even after Vergeben leaked him, people found the idea of Steve being in the game too surreal to seriously consider it.
You know that this argument doesnt help your previous statement, right? It doesnt matter how he is expected since Shroob´s point is basically that he was expected.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I don't know why people say "what's so special about Waluigi" when literally the majority of the characters in the Mario Universe have one voiceline and personalities that are just as shallow as Waluigi.
Because people have opinions and can like and dislike different things?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
You know that this argument doesnt help your previous statement, right? It doesnt matter how he is expected since Shroob´s point is basically that he was expected.
I'm saying Steve is out of left field because if it wasn't for vergeben he would have had a much lower quality of "predictions" than he did. Even though Vergeben said "minecraft content might come to Smash" people still thought Steve would not work as a fighter in Smash, so they didn't predict him. I saw his name rarely come up in Smash speculation, his name mostly came up on twitter and reddit in half serious posts or memes just like Waluigi.

Because people have opinions and can like and dislike different things?
That isn't the issue though. The issue is the fallacious argument. Is better to just say "I don't like Waluigi" then try to come up with a reason how he's objectively less interesting than most other mario characters.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hard Mode: Name a bunch that don't die.
Extreme Mode: Name a single one from a narrative focused game that is important to the plot, and doesn't die before, after, during, or is even presumed dead during said plot.
Impossible Mode: None of them can come from Fire Emblem: Awakening, or Fire Emblem: Fates.
The first and third ones are easier than you think; after all, do you know how many Pokemommies are still alive?

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That isn't the issue though. The issue is the fallacious argument. Is better to just say "I don't like Waluigi" then try to come up with a reason how he's objectively less interesting than most other mario characters.
It's not an argument though. They said "I don't see anything special with that character" and "to me is just a generic bad guy", which means it's an opinion.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
It's not an argument though. They said "I don't see anything special with that character" and "to me is just a generic bad guy", which means it's an opinion.
He can have an opinion about it, that part is fine. But if his reasons for justifying his opinions aren't true then I can also call it a fallacious argument.

Saying "I don't like Waluigi" is an opinion. Saying "I don't like Waluigi because his personality is just a generic bad guy" is a bad faith argument. Even Charles Martinet, the voice actor for Waluigi, doesn't believe that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm saying Steve is out of left field because if it wasn't for vergeben he would have had a much lower quality of "predictions" than he did. Even though Vergeben said "minecraft content might come to Smash" people still thought Steve would not work as a fighter in Smash, so they didn't predict him. I saw his name rarely come up in Smash speculation, his name mostly came up on twitter and reddit in half serious posts just like Waluigi.
It doesn't matter if Minecraft getting legitimized as a contender came from Vergeben, the point is over the two years since he first raised it, it did.

Steve wasn't added in mid-2018 when people were acclimating to the notion, he was added two years later, after he had already been thoroughly argued for as a character, and was an accepted part of the discourse.

What's the general consensus of that 4chan music 'leak' from back in July about the presentation on October 5th?

I ask because I already know it's been discussed to hell and back, and don't feel like sifting through 10s of pages to find out :smash:
It was also posted more recently with a different, incorrect date. Given the lack of attention on the initial claim until a few days ago, it was probably just the same person trying again. Getting the date right is generally seen as a lucky guess.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I'm saying Steve is out of left field because if it wasn't for vergeben he would have had a much lower quality of "predictions" than he did. Even though Vergeben said "minecraft content might come to Smash" people still thought Steve would not work as a fighter in Smash, so they didn't predict him. I saw his name rarely come up in Smash speculation, his name mostly came up on twitter and reddit in half serious posts or memes just like Waluigi.
The community you speak of doesnt agree with the assessment of Waluigi´s standing within the fanbase. Can you stop trying to speak for us and just say what your opinion is on the subject of unlikely characters.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Why is it always a debate? :dr^_^:
I had no intention of turning this into a debate. But people had to relentlessly argue with me when I mentioned the fact that Waluigi is out of left field.

I have a better question, why is it always Waluigi?
Because even bringing up this character is enough to piss people off for some reason.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ok. I'm sure we can both agree that Steve was out of left field right? Some people predicted him, but people found the idea of him being in the game too laughable to seriously consider him.

Tell me how it's not the same for Waluigi.
Not even. Steve was pretty commonly speculated pre-Banjo as the first Microsoft rep, with a minor speculation war breaking out over whether it'd be Steve or Banjo. It was a pretty significant topic around here for a while, and the discourse lasted for months. Even post-Banjo Steve had significant support, with the only con being no one could figure out what his moveset would be.

You seem to act like any character that has a vocal base decrying them is "out of left field," when that doesn't take the wider picture into account at all. By your criteria, most any character would be "out of left field" except those commonly speculated about in our little bubble here. At that point, the term loses its meaning entirely.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not even. Steve was pretty commonly speculated pre-Banjo as the first Microsoft rep, with a minor speculation war breaking out over whether it'd be Steve or Banjo. It was a pretty significant topic around here for a while, and the discourse lasted months. Even post-Banjo Steve had significant support, with the only con being no one could figure out what his moveset would be.

You seem to act like any character that has a vocal base decrying them is "out of left field," when that doesn't take the wider picture into account at all. By your criteria, most any character would be "out of left field" except those commonly speculated about in our little bubble here. At that point, the term loses its meaning entirely.
Post-Banjo pretty much fits what he is saying though. Somehow, even after Banjo got in AND we got told more DLC was coming, I saw a lot of Steve's traction drop as people thought we would only get one MS rep or that Chief was the obvious choice.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

change1(1).jpg

It's by all means likely fake, but damn if I wouldn't love to see it.

Final character is probably like, Waluigi or Phoenix Wright or Nahobino or something, but if it were Sora I'd legitimately flip.

We're talking more than I flipped for Joker here, and I flipped for Joker.

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 331757

It's by all means likely fake, but damn if I wouldn't love to see it.

Final character is probably like, Waluigi or Phoenix Wright or Nahobino or something, but if it were Sora I'd legitimately flip.

We're talking more than I flipped for Joker here, and I flipped for Joker.
I remember that night.

The recording you dropped in the thread was legendary lol.

7NATOR

Smash Master

I think many are not believing it, though I think others are kind of still giving it some credit and thought

The other Post saying Septemeber kind of throws a wrench into things. It's possible it could have been someone else piggybacking, but keep in mind this July post was unknown until after the Direct. It's more likely the post was by the same person.

Plus if you believe in Harada Theory, This leak shouldn't matter, since Sora would be Deconfirmed, along with Doomguy, Master Chief, Jonsey, Arle, and Crash. I don't think many people believe in Harada theory though, I just thought I should mention it

Anyway I bet you CP11 already did leak, but that the leak is so old and isn't obvious that people wouldn't believe it anyway. I might know what it is, yes

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Welcome to Newcomer Speculation! We discuss:
  • low effort 4chan leaks
  • why purple boi is likely/unlikely
  • why the final character will make a big splash or a loud crash
  • and we recycle those 3 topics 11 times a week
Bro if you're complaining about repetitive topics a little under two months in LET ME TELL YOU about these past three years

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
My bets is on bandanna waddle dee as fighter 11 and sora, doomguy, and papyrus as mii costumes. honestly it would make sense to me if that sora kingdom hearts music was just for the reveal trailer for his MII costume. plus alot less licensing nonsense I would imagine as well.

My wish is that they will add a classic route for the mii fighters! like common, they are in the friggin banner when choosing the difficulty!

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My bets is on bandanna waddle dee as fighter 11 and sora, doomguy, and papyrus as mii costumes. honestly it would make sense to me if that sora kingdom hearts music was just for the reveal trailer for his MII costume. plus alot less licensing nonsense I would imagine as well.

My wish is that they will add a classic route for the mii fighters! like common, they are in the friggin banner when choosing the difficulty!
Why would Nintendo go through all the trouble of negotiating with Disney just for a Mii costume?

Also, that leak was confirmed fake.

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
Why would Nintendo go through all the trouble of negotiating with Disney just for a Mii costume?

Also, that leak was confirmed fake.
thank goodness. btw how was is deconfirmed? on the line before, thats a good point actualy.
edit:green

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think many are not believing it, though I think others are kind of still giving it some credit and thought

The other Post saying Septemeber kind of throws a wrench into things. It's possible it could have been someone else piggybacking, but keep in mind this July post was unknown until after the Direct. It's more likely the post was by the same person.

Plus if you believe in Harada Theory, This leak shouldn't matter, since Sora would be Deconfirmed, along with Doomguy, Master Chief, Jonsey, Arle, and Crash. I don't think many people believe in Harada theory though, I just thought I should mention it

Anyway I bet you CP11 already did leak, but that the leak is so old and isn't obvious that people wouldn't believe it anyway. I might know what it is, yes
Harada theory doesn't matter. He talks ****, but he's not going to go to Sakurai and say "Don't add these characters because some losers on twitter annoyed me".

D

Deleted member

ngl i feel like it could really be goku i mean it would so raw and he’s one of the GOATed characters of all of fiction. just end the smash series with sakurai breaking his own rules and adding the most hype character of all time that would be epic af just think about it

osby

Smash Obsessed
ngl i feel like it could really be goku i mean it would so raw and he’s one of the GOATed characters of all of fiction. just end the smash series with sakurai breaking his own rules and adding the most hype character of all time that would be epic af just think about it
Would it be really Sakurai breaking his rules when it's Nintendo who chose the characters?

Also, ngl, I never watched Dragon Ball so Goku really doesn't do anything for me. There are bigger franchises with stronger video game connections and better shounen mangas around so he's not even existing as a non-video game pick imo.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Not even gonna go into why this won't happen...
...but I unironically think Luffy would be a better choice.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
Just a little over a week until the Ultimate ride ends for good. I can only hope I get one of my most wanteds in at the end (Sora, Demi-Fiend, Kiryu Kazuma, Shadow, Master Chief, etc). I just HOPE that Ultimate ends on a bang and makes me happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom