• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
None of them have the quirk where the opponent's momentarily set on fire and release fire particles, right? They're classified more as projectile strikes.

I'm not super-familiar with GG, but would Sol be the only one on that list to fit Terry's description, or does Sol actively ignite his foes?
He does burn his opponents with fire moves, so I guess that would disconfirm him.

Either way, I'll be a little sceptical about this theory for now. Smash can be weird with elemental properties and status effects like how they gave Joker a completely unique effect. If it's real... the characters people listed as disconfirmations so far didn't strike me as likely picks in the first place so that doesn't change much for me.

Though, it's a good thing we're so close to a reveal. I wouldn't want to deal with weeks of flame wars over this (pun intended).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
None of them have the quirk where the opponent's momentarily set on fire and release fire particles, right? They're classified more as projectile strikes.

I'm not super-familiar with GG, but would Sol be the only one on that list to fit Terry's description, or does Sol actively ignite his foes?
He lights em up for every fire based attack:
1623224047950.png
You can also see this when Sol hits someone with an afro, igniting and exploding it, which only happens for fire-based attacks.

Contrast with Terry where it's just visual flair, Sol's has a bit more involved fire going for him, probably due to the fact he actually shoots out and manifests literal fire. Even his nickname is the "Flame of Corruption."
1623224141252.png

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
NGL now that we're less than one week away from E3 my hype is slowly coming back. I'm a bit dried out after speculating this game for over three years so I'm squeezing as much excitement and hype from myself that is left for the upcoming E3.

To hell with pessimism, after this we probably won't speculate about Smash for another 4-5 years. Even if it's a character I don't want I'm just excited to see who it could be. Double reveal all the way, end it with a bang!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
To me, cinematic trailers are more surprising since I tend to lean towards it being Smash with each trailer that a Direct opens or ends with. Like for Aegis, I saw the intro and recognized it was Xenoblade and from there I was already thinking that it was either Smash or Xenoblade DLC, so I was never caught off-guard by a sentiment like “woah I knew this was Xenoblade but I didn’t think it’d be Xenoblade in Smash

I think Byleth could’ve fooled me because we knew there was DLC coming but his trailer was of course part of a Sakurai presents so it lost that surprise factor.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Famous Smash player, Marss released a tier list on what characters he wants the most.

His number 1 choice is Dante.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Well since we're still 7 (6 depending on the timezone) days away from the fated direct, here's a simple question to pass the time.

Do you all prefer Smash's "cinematic" art-style used for trailers? (Hero, Banjo, Sephiroth, technically Steve)
Or do you prefer when an art-style is stylized to match the original art-style of the game represented? (Joker, Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Pyra/Mythra)

And, as an addendum,
What would you prefer your most-wanted character's trailer to take the style of?
CGI definitely. Not only are they eye-candy and tend to have more suspense. The CGI team also just delivers trailers that I feel are far more creative and memorable in their structure and writing. Things like Dedede disguising himself as K.Rool to prank the Kongs, Luigi encountering Death itself and Galeem being sliced in two by Sephiroth before we know who it is (remember how Cloud only appears in the trailer after the OWA begins playing) just stand out far more than Isabelle, Byleth, Pyra, etc just receiving a Smash invitation. That's not to say those are all bad or that every CGI trailer is a winner but usually the CGI ones feel like more of an event and are far more fun and worthy of a rewatch.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Famous Smash player, Marss released a tier list on what characters he wants the most.

I can't watch this yet but it's very weird how uncommon this kind of talk is among people who make it their job to play Smash, only other instances I can think of is Tweek saying he wanted Porky leading to I believe LarryLurr assuming he meant Porky Pig and Larry talking about how he expects a few potential characters to play.

Also the thumbnail CLEARLY says Among Us is his most wanted how dare you lie to me like that

SKX31

Smash Master
Basically the events of this week
Scenes if neither CP10 nor CP11 are Platformer / JRPG characters.

I was expecting some variant of "zss su-

Calls Sora cringe, puts him in Meh tier.
Ah there it is.

Got no idea who this due but this thumbnail just makes me mad
SSB4 / Ultimate top professional (ranked 5th worldwide in the last ranking), considered the foremost :ultzss: . Known for his ability to judge the gamestate intuitively as well as noticing and exploiting opponents' habits very quickly - a commentator called it "leading a horse to water then slapping said horse for doing what he told it to". Also very difficult to please (as evidenced by the "zss sux" meme he coined) and very blunt with his opinions, which the speculation vid shows.

I can't watch this yet but it's very weird how uncommon this kind of talk is among people who make it their job to play Smash, only other instances I can think of is Tweek saying he wanted Porky leading to I believe LarryLurr assuming he meant Porky Pig and Larry talking about how he expects a few potential characters to play.

Also the thumbnail CLEARLY says Among Us is his most wanted how dare you lie to me like that
There is at least some interest from the professional side - the esport org Panda (which Marss is signed under) did a speculation vid and Tweek did an additional segment on potential newcomers. It may be rather basic at points because a lot of pros don't really focus on the next character that much, but still.

Call me when it's the best Kirby main talking.
Why doesn't JeJaJeJa have a Youtube channel... damn he should. (Edit, he has, just inactive.)

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
After sleeping on it, I think Crono would end up being a solid last choice for one core reason: it would be relatively not controversial.

Look, whoever is last will get some side eye. But ChronoTrigger being a legendary game that a lot of people still say might be the best of all time would get a lot less hate than you think. Then again I think the community is odds are gonna eat up whatever they get but I think there would be less grumbling about Crono.

Then again some people on here decided to make this thread Twitter lite in terms of rpg be platformer stuff, so who am I to judge.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You know, I'm gonna try and see how easy it'd be to guess the character early on
:ultbanjokazooie: Repeat of K.Rool's trailer despite the villain slideshow meaning nothing, you'd only tell as soon as the jiggy popped up at the earliest
:ultbylethf:Had they not been announced in a Smash presentation, they'd probably be called as it recreates an important scene in the game
:ulthero2: Earliest you'd be able to tell is Eleven's horse if you're a diehard fan, otherwise it's the silhouette that gives it away when they save Link
:ultincineroar: Wouldn't be able to tell until the yellow eyes which doesn't specifically mean Incineraor
:ultinkling: May have been assumed as a Splatoon 1 port
:ultjoker: Nobody realized it was Smash until the invitation popped up
:ultisabelle: This trailer was also for New Horizons so it wouldn't be obvious it's even Smash
:ultkrool: After the villain slideshow, people would be able to guess it, especially as it showed off DK afterwards
:ultminmin Started out at her restaurant, giving the game away
:ultpyra: See Byleth
:ultridley: Dark sci-fi area with Alien vibes gave it away to me, Samus being the one in focus during the next shot helping less delusional people
:ultken: Ken was shown before the splashline if you looked close enough
:ultsephiroth: DUN DUN DUN DUN
:ultsimon: The mummies and Medusa Head would have given it away had he not leaked
:ultsteve: Took until the CGI to start
:ult_terry: Would have been obvious by process of elimination had he not leaked

Honestly that's not too bad, only a handful being too obvious
The one that seemed the longest to figure out was Steve.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Do you guys think that we'll still see the Switch Pro before the 15th or on it?

I'm still on team before given that no piece of hardware since the Wii U was revealed at E3, but I'm also becoming less and less confident as we get closer to the date.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
After sleeping on it, I think Crono would end up being a solid last choice for one core reason: it would be relatively not controversial.

Look, whoever is last will get some side eye. But ChronoTrigger being a legendary game that a lot of people still say might be the best of all time would get a lot less hate than you think. Then again I think the community is odds are gonna eat up whatever they get but I think there would be less grumbling about Crono.

Then again some people on here decided to make this thread Twitter lite in terms of rpg be platformer stuff, so who am I to judge.
Crono would probably be the most boring swordfighters in the game but I'd be over the moon to get some Chrono Trigger content!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Do you guys think that we'll still see the Switch Pro before the 15th or on it?

I'm still on team before given that no piece of hardware since the Wii U was revealed at E3, but I'm also becoming less and less confident as we get closer to the date.
I thought we all agreed the Switch Pro wasn't real.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
TFW Source Gaming made a point you forgot to re add to the crash essay.
Among third parties in the Smash 2 poll, the top five all are in smash except Doreamon who is not a video game character and Crash. Megaman, Banjo, Sonic, and FF have content while Bomberman is a Mii and AT. Crash has been a request in Japan since 1999.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I was thinking of this last night in the Car and I was debating iconicness of characters in Smash. Here is what I came up with.

There are two characters/series that I can quote to about anyone and they are recognizable.

1. Mario
2. Pacman

These two characters seemed to be iconic. Pacman is a great "go to" for Baby Boomers or the older crowd if you want to explain what the game their kids (or grandkids) are playing. Both seemed to be the face of gaming in general. I would argue these are the two most well-known characters in Smash (at least in my region the Southeastern United States).

After them, it actually varies based on age and sex.

I would say males 24 - 40 would consider Masterchief pretty iconic (Link would also be about as popular as Masterchief with this crowd)

Most people 24 and under would recognize Steve and Minecraft over most of the other IP

Females (and a lot of Males) 24-40 would probably recognize Pikachu as the next most iconic character.

Donkey Kong, Sonic, and Lara Croft are also three other major characters that would be highly iconic or recognizable to most people in my area. Lara Croft is probably more recognizable due to her movie appearances than her games. Sonic is actually kind of heading that direction as well. Interestly, when Sonic is discussed with most people, the Sega Genesis titles are always the way people remember him. Very few remember his 3D outings. Sonic has had 3-4 TV series (I cannot even keep up) and now has a movie with a second one coming.

One you get past this initial group of franchises, the recognition of characters (especially for people that don't play Nintendo consoles or consoles in general) drops off dramatically.

I would say the next two most recognizable characters is very close between Kirby and Wii Fit Trainer. Older people would also recognize the Duck Hunt Dog.

Megaman is highly recognizable to anyone that ever owned or played an NES.

However, the drop off increases significantly. Perhaps Ken and Ryu or Star Fox after this set? The number of people that would recognize the character in my region would slowly dwindle.

Mario and Pacman definitely lead the way. I would say they are the two most iconic characters in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sure, but what if they determine that Eggman can't be done in a manner friendly with the time and budget restraints of DLC?

THIS IS HOW AMY WINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Yeah but Amy is not iconic enough in the Sonic totum poll. If it isn't Eggman, it will be Tails.

Interestingly, if Sonic the Hedgehog was a First Party Franchise, the following characters would all be in Smash right now:

1. Sonic
2. Shadow (semi-clone of Sonic)
3. Tails
4. Knuckles
5. Dr. Eggman
6. Amy Rose
7. Metal Sonic (again perhaps as clone of Sonic)

Heck, most of them, if not all, would have been added in the previous title.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I dont expect the character leaking. And if it does, it will be either ERA insider, or 4chan.
90% of E3 end up leaking in 4chan
To my knowledge, there hasn't been a correct leak in FP #2 (which is amazing). Correct me if I am wrong.

I know that Hero and Terry leaked early in FP#1 but I don't remember any of the other characters leaking.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Yeah but Amy is not iconic enough in the Sonic totum poll. If it isn't Eggman, it will be Tails.

Interestingly, if Sonic the Hedgehog was a First Party Franchise, the following characters would all be in Smash right now:

1. Sonic
2. Shadow (semi-clone of Sonic)
3. Tails
4. Knuckles
5. Dr. Eggman
6. Amy Rose
7. Metal Sonic (again perhaps as clone of Sonic)

Heck, most of them, if not all, would have been added in the previous title.
I refer you to one of my previous comments on the subject:

Well, lemme quit with the jokes and try to get real with the whole Amy thing. Potentially faulty theory incoming:

SO. LET'S ASSUME that, for reasons ONLY understood by Sakurai, that Assist Trophies and background characters are NOT getting upgraded to playable fighters for whatever reason. We can go back and forth all day about how there's precedent for shutting off background characters with the whole Alfonso/Toon Link thing and various Assist Trophy functions on various stages (Knuckles on Green Hill, Alucard on Wii Fit Studio, etc), but for the sake of the conversation, let's say that for WHATEVER REASON, they're off the table.

That removes Sonic (since he's already playable), Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and weirdly enough Silver (plus the little animals on Windy Hill if you wanna get technical). Go down the line, who's the next most prominent Sonic character?

Doctor Eggman of course! HOWEVER... that guy's kind of an embarrassment of riches. SO MANY MECHS at his disposal, how do you just pick ONE? That would take a lot of time to whittle down a moveset that they can all agree upon, MUCH LESS actually program and implement it within the constraints of the DLC time and budget, and those are the magic words right there: time and budget. If I remember right, Bowser Jr was a little tricky to get working when he was introduced in Smash 3DS/Wii U and they had to stick their nose to the grindstone to make it work. And HERO they had to settle for FOUR Dragon Quest heroes as alts instead of 8 on the grounds that they did not have the time and budget for 8. Time and budget are very real enemies for DLC choices, and Doctor Eggman and his embarrassment of riches and potential difficulty in actually implementing in a timely and budget friendly manner may very well be enough to foil Eggman's plans once again.

SO. Who's the NEXT most prominent character? Well... that could very well be Amy Rose. And she's easy enough to implement too, nothing too crazy with her.

And that's how you get to Amy Rose chasing Sonic into Smash Ultimate.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Going back to my Smash iconic/recognizability post. There is another IP that is very recognizable but there isn't necessarily a video game character that would be well known and that is Resident Evil.

Alice (who has never appeared in video games) is probably recognizable to a lot of people. Heck the Resident Evil movies might be more well known than the games. Jill Valentine does have some name recognition.

Although Lady Dimitrescu might be the best pick right now. She is stinking everywhere in the internet meme world (although the joke is that the Samsung Girl is replacing her).

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
My favorite thing about the Marss tierlist video is he calls classic Doomguy by the correct name but the editing corrects him with saying its mach rider when he was right in the first place. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but it was funny to me either way.

If he's gonna make us mad, he should at least be polite enough to tell us what template he's using.
Luckily it's easy to find if you search the exact same thing he searched up at the start of the video.
https://tiermaker.com/create/super-smash-bros-newcomers-tier-list-236687

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom