• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Everyone: "What the hell is Touhou?"

Smashboards:
tbh i only like it because it's bkub

Yeah, that's kind of why I'm open to Eevee as a possibility.

Gen 1 is the only generation to potentially buck that trend.
This brings me an interesting topic on Gen 1.

:133: VS :052:

Who is the superior choice and why is it Meowth?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Iirc that means someone else posted, but you got them on ignore
I don't remember having anyone on ignore, unless I did it years ago and somehow forgot about this person's existence.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, that's kind of why I'm open to Eevee as a possibility.

Gen 1 is the only generation to potentially buck that trend.
I was thinking more among the lines that TPC LOVES promoting Eevee regardless of its gen. if fp2 was planned around 2015-18 rather than 2019, that is when they started straight up admitting they wanted it to be the alternative to pikachu🤔🤔🤔

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
You gotta get more woke than that. Use the character who is literally nowhere in Smash Bros. Ultimate whatsoever.

View attachment 317052
I'm pretty sure the whole idea behind the ASC being a spirit, and not Porky, is that the capsule cushioned Galeem's beams. It is, after all, absolutely safe. That said, I don't think spirit status has any bearing on a fighter's chances anyhow. Porky's tied with Reimu as my MW among characters with a non-zero shot.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
For the fact about Pokémon Trainer being a Gen 1 rep for Brawl, perhaps the fact that Brawl was mainly made during the transition period from 3G to 4G and one of the latest entry being Fire Red/Leaf Green explain it.
You get Red's Gen 3 and ownward design, alongside the Gen 3 speech bubble during the final Smash, alongside the pokémon doing their Gen 3 introduced ultimate attacks.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey you two, you might want to also share your ideas on the Character Exploration thread, since it's currently discussing Agumon; it could help you get points to nominate characters you two wanna discuss there. ^^
I would, but I know nothing abou Digimon other than that Agumon is an orange T-Rex thing. I was basically just finding an excuse to talk about SMT.

Speaking of which, I still feel like a Hero situation where they show the smash DLC and then show off the game (in this case SMT V) would make a lot of sense. Or not. I don't know, I'm not Sakurai.

Or am I?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm pretty sure the whole idea behind the ASC being a spirit, and not Porky, is that the capsule cushioned Galeem's beams. It is, after all, absolutely safe. That said, I don't think spirit status has any bearing on a fighter's chances anyhow.
1622331850030.png
Is this Samus's Spirit or Samus's Gunship spirit? Very good, it's the Samus's Gunship spirit. Completely separate from Samus, who although might be inside it, doesn't necessarily mean it's the primary form of representation.

1622331890202.png
Now, is this the Porky spirit, or the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit? :bowsette:

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
1. Dante
2. Sora
3. Shadow
4. Leon S. Kennedy
5. Zack Fair
6. Kiryu Kazuma
7. Master Chief
8. Demi-Fiend
9. Travis Touchdown

I hope one or 2 of these picks show up to end Vol 2 (barring Leon and Travis) cuz I neeeeeed E3 to deliver the goods😩

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
alongside the Gen 3 speech bubble during the final Smash, alongside the pokémon doing their Gen 3 introduced ultimate attacks.
That's actually the Gen 4 dialog box (changed to 7 in Ultimate), and the moves they're performing are ones introduced in Gen 1 rather than Blast Burn/Frenzy Plant/Hydro Cannon. So it's only the use of FRLG's Red/Leaf designs that kinda makes PT a Gen 3 rep.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, I’ve already mentioned this, but being cut because of technical limitations doesn't seem to have worked out so well for other potential fighters in the past. (The Ice Climbers seem to be an exception since they were veterans and had already been proven to work on past hardware, with their full movesets from Melee and Brawl ready to go).

Character Chronicle: Dixie Kong – Source Gaming

Chorus Kids Main on Twitter: It's safe to assume that the Chorus Kids were  cut; Between the data, the leak, and this new claim it all seems to add up.  Without the's safe to assume that the Chorus Kids were  cut; Between the data, the leak, and this new claim it all seems to add up.  Without the
Yeah, that's why I said demand is key here. For the record I think Dixie and the Chorus Kids could totally show up any time, but I'd say the lack of a massive outcry to include them beyond the hardcore has put them in low priority.
I'm sorry but this makes no sense even if we pretend Xenoblade goes through a Metroid tier hiatus, not having the ability to bring everyone back means using more resources for a fully fledged newcomer who has technical issues is feasible when you already have 2 characters from the same game who have more fans who'd be easier to port over makes sense? Like, you know that veterans have the benefit of reusing assets right? I feel like people who think this saw Chrom and forgot he was an easy to make echo, not a fully fledged newcomer with technical issues
I'm assuming the moveset that we got for Pythra was mostly similar to the one that a hypothetical Rex + Pythra would be/would have been, of course with the exception of having the two characters present at all times on screen. With that remaining the same and the models all being there I can't imagine what would be so resource intensive.

Also I don't get what popularity has to do with anything? It's not a choice between one or the other, it's a choice between having two or all three.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Moving back to the green background color many would insist the only possible option would Chief, there is another green themed character from a 3rd party company already in Smash.

Konami's Bill Rizer! And honestly I think it's more likely to be him than Chief(owned by a Japanese company represented in Smash already and who also doesn't have a character in the pass in Volume 2 yet if the current color theory(Green and beige if the pink was actually for Pyra) comes true.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I would, but I know nothing abou Digimon other than that Agumon is an orange T-Rex thing. I was basically just finding an excuse to talk about SMT.

Speaking of which, I still feel like a Hero situation where they show the smash DLC and then show off the game (in this case SMT V) would make a lot of sense. Or not. I don't know, I'm not Sakurai.

Or am I?

You know, Cyber Sleuth invites comparison to SMT games. Although part of that might be because both Digimon and SMT rather like to use real-world Japan as a setting, although I think the fact some of the dev team worked on SMT (or was it Persona) might also be a factor; I know one of the character designers did.

Its one of those ones from that new third pillar of the series.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's why I said demand is key here. For the record I think Dixie and the Chorus Kids could totally show up any time, but I'd say the lack of a massive outcry to include them beyond the hardcore has put them in low priority.
I think what would hurt Rex the most is the cycling protagonist nature of Xenoblade (just ask Lyn/Elma/Gen 3 and 5 Pokemon), in that by the time the next Smash comes around we could likely have a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with a completely brand new protagonist that XB fans would flock to. Even Dixie and the Chorus Kids being recurring characters with multiple evergreen appearances couldn't escape the technical limitations due to low outcry, but Rex having to deal with massive competition in his own series in the future is probably going to be an enormous additional hurdle to overcome.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think what would hurt Rex the most is the cycling protagonist nature of Xenoblade (just ask Lyn/Elma/Gen 3 and 5 Pokemon), in that by the time the next Smash comes around we could likely have a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 with a completely brand new protagonist that XB fans would flock to. Even Dixie and the Chorus Kids being recurring characters with multiple evergreen appearances couldn't escape the technical limitations due to low outcry, but Rex having to deal with massive competition in his own series in the future is probably going to be an enormous additional hurdle to overcome.
Yeah at the end of the day the only reason I think he'd stand a chance is that it would only take a minor rework of a returning vet, like Charizard in 4. If not, he'd be a no-hoper.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Moving back to the green background color many would insist the only possible option would Chief, there is another green themed character from a 3rd party company already in Smash.

Konami's Bill Rizer! And honestly I think it's more likely to be him than Chief(owned by a Japanese company represented in Smash already and who also doesn't have a character in the pass in Volume 2 yet if the current color theory(Green and beige if the pink was actually for Pyra) comes true.
Modern Bill is so goddamn boring. I like the off brand Rambo style more. Contra itself is weird, don't ever google the lore. Ever.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
You know, Cyber Sleuth invites comparison to SMT games. Although part of that might be because both Digimon and SMT rather like to use real-world Japan as a setting, although I think the fact some of the dev team worked on SMT (or was it Persona) might also be a factor; I know one of the character designers did.

Its one of those ones from that new third pillar of the series.
I just looked him up. He did the character designs for the Devil Survivor games, which are the only megami tensei games with non-ATLUS artists (usually games have Kaneko, Soejima or Doi). Either way, his art doesn't feel like SMT art, but I've heard good things about Cyber Sleuth, so I'll probably look into it later.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Yeah at the end of the day the only reason I think he'd stand a chance is that it would only take a minor rework of a returning vet, like Charizard in 4. If not, he'd be a no-hoper.

I'm gonna go ahead and say I hope they don't; not because I have any dislike of Rex, he's a good kid.

But because right now they're as close to a Torna rep as we'll ever get and Torna is tied with Wind-Waker, Bayonetta 2, and Super Mario World for my favourite game of all time.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think the difference with that is that like before :ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur: were veterans already in Brawl, so their concept was already tried and proven to work on past hardware, compared to trying to venture into unknown territory (well not even unknown, territory that was already proven to be extremely difficult to do, and this is the same team that put in the effort to change every stage in the game to fit :ultsteve:) developmentally.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also I don't get what popularity has to do with anything? It's not a choice between one or the other, it's a choice between having two or all three.
I don't know, if you know for a fact you can't bring back every character, why give priority to a newcomer from an old game that already has 2 characters when those 2 characters were already added because of fan demand.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't know, if you know for a fact you can't bring back every character, why give priority to a newcomer from an old game that already has 2 characters when those 2 characters were already added because of fan demand.
I think you aren't understanding what I'm saying? I'm not suggesting they would add any newcomer, I'm just saying they would rework a veteran to be more like it was originally intended to be.
I think the difference with that is that like before :ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur: were veterans already in Brawl, so their concept was already tried and proven to work on past hardware, compared to trying to venture into unknown territory (well not even unknown, territory that was already proven to be extremely difficult to do, and this is the same team that put in the effort to change every stage in the game to fit :ultsteve:) developmentally.
If the future Nintendo console the next Smash would be on still has difficulties rendering that amount of characters on-screen, sure. That would be pretty embarrassing honestly, but I guess it's not out of the question.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just saying they would rework a veteran to be more like it was originally intended to be.
Well that just blatantly depends on what the next Smash Bros is like.

If its close to Ultimate, I can't see it happening.

If its a brand new thing, then heavy reworks will likely be the standard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think you aren't understanding what I'm saying? I'm not suggesting they would add any newcomer, I'm just saying they would rework a veteran to be more like it was originally intended to be.
Ok that makes a lot more sense, however, Sakurai really doesn't like changing a character's moveset that much, likely out of fear of alienating fans who enjoyed how they played in the previous installment, a good friend of mine who refuses to touch more than 3 characters is one of them, and hey, he plays Pythra. From the beginning he was actively rooting against Rex in favour of other characters, meaning changing the character he's going to play as would alienate him as unlike other cases of redesigns, he wouldn't be playing the same character, that make sense?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ok that makes a lot more sense, however, Sakurai really doesn't like changing a character's moveset that much, likely out of fear of alienating fans who enjoyed how they played in the previous installment, a good friend of mine who refuses to touch more than 3 characters is one of them, and hey, he plays Pythra. From the beginning he was actively rooting against Rex in favour of other characters, meaning changing the character he's going to play as would alienate him as unlike other cases of redesigns, he wouldn't be playing the same character, that make sense?
Yeah I can see that, Sakurai hates altering old characters.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Now that I’ve finished Mother 3, I am 99% Confident the ASC is a joke about how Porky is still stuck in there.

Theres no way one of the series main antagonist was completely passed over for bare minimum representation, but somehow the item that was specifically made for them was given representation.

Then again, no Gigyas representation at all. So it wouldn’t be the first time Ultimate passed over one of Mothers Major Antagonists.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
:ultmewtwo:
Now that I’ve finished Mother 3, I am 99% Confident the ASC is a joke about how Porky is still stuck in there.

Theres no way one of the series main antagonist was completely passed over for bare minimum representation, but somehow the item that was specifically made for them was given representation.

Then again, no Gigyas representation at all. So it wouldn’t be the first time Ultimate passed over one of Mothers Major Antagonists.
Bruh Giygas is playable
:ultmewtwo:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What if the joke with the ASC spirit is that it kept Porky safe and so now he’s free and that’s why not even his EarthBound appearance is a spirit.

Although, since Dr. Andonuts also designed it to keep the world absolutely safe from Porky, you could say it held onto Porky’s spirit to take him with it... 🤔

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Weird question, but is it possible for one of the next 2 characters to have similarities to Melee Fox, in terms of Gameplay, Options, and freedom of expression

Paraster

Smash Lord
tbh i only like it because it's bkub

This brings me an interesting topic on Gen 1.

:133: VS :052:

Who is the superior choice and why is it Meowth?
In terms of Smash, definitely Meowth, because they'd need to include an evolution mechanic to properly represent Eevee and I can't see any methods of doing so that aren't either pared-down or overly-complicated.

I've said this before, but Let's Go, Eevee! should have been Let's Go, Jigglypuff instead. Jigglypuff is iconic in its own right, and it parallels Pikachu surprisingly well (both evolve with a stone and got a baby evolution in gen 2, for example). It is ridiculous that an Eevee-themed game cut the SOLE REASON for Eevee's existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom