• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It is worthwhile to note: while I know of games with bigger casts of characters* (Dota 2 has 121 characters, LoL 155) they've been built over the years through the live service model - it took both those games ca. 10 years to reach this point. I can only see Smash reaching that number of characters if it adopts a live service model - and I doubt Sakurai would be keen on the idea. He's not exactly IceFrog, a guy who embraced the game he develops to the point he's been willing to commit 15+ years of work into the game. Also, there's the Bandai-Namco staff to consider in this case since Nintendo contracts them to work on the game, so... yeah. It's difficult to do that with any other dev studio as well.

*(Intentionally discounting cases like Tobal 2's 200 characters since that game has a lot of pallette swaps etc.)

... **** it, turn Smash into a live service game just so that this thread will be eternal. :4pacman:

Edit: Aaaand suddenly rumors are swerving again surrounding WB Games:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
...there was a problem fetching the tweet

also, HAS a live service model been done for a fighting game in particular before? How would it work?

Ivander

Smash Legend

also, HAS a live service model been done for a fighting game in particular before? How would it work?
Possibly a Marvel game. There is a Marvel phone game that is a fighting game and I think may be live service.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, the monsters in Resident Evil are definitely not going to fly in Smash. It doesn't mean a playable character wouldn't work, but Spirits would clearly have to be limited to very specific ones. In a way, the Spirit Event may have been as far as they could go. Stuff like the ammo system and guns(and knives) aren't an issue, honestly. It's just the monsters are clearly well beyond Smash's age rating. There might still be a few that can work, but they may not be notable enough.

It sucks too. RE is awesome(albeit, I didn't play the games but did watch the movies). If they were strapped for Spirits, they could even use a few movie-only characters if Cacpom Co LTD. would allow it(and licensing wouldn't require them to go to another company). It's not like a Spirit Board has to be massive. There's enough humans alone for a small board, I think? Not counting the playable character(s). Well, depending if any could be plausible as an alt, but I think they might be all different shapes. Nemesis is like the only protagonist I know that is very grotesque and probably wouldn't get a Spirit compared to the other humans. At the very least, they didn't fail to give it some due, so that's nice. :)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
More info on Mario Golf:

yay for another Pauline appearance. She'll be in a (console) Mario Kart in no time.

It looks like there's room for more characters too in the select screen. I could see them adding post release characters like with Mario Tennis Aces, with good bets on Diddy, Birdo, and Toadette.

SKX31

Smash Master
Are they getting bought out after all?

She's not the only journalist who brought up the story. In case it doesn't load:

WB Games is getting broken up somehow due to AT&T's WarnerMedia-Discovery sale/merger. "Some of the gaming arm will stay with AT&T and some will go with the new company," rep tells Axios'
@sarafischer
. No further info. WB Games lists 11 studios, games for all kinds of IP, devices
He linked to Julia's tweet (which seems to have been deleted):

Re: some of the questions I got about WarnerMedia & Discovery.
1) The sale includes some of Warner Bros. Interactive/Warner Bros. Games, but not all.
2) The sale does include DC Comics. So yes Discovery now owns DC Comics.
3) Rooster Teeth is part of the sale, yes.
While I'm not entirely sure that this will indeed go through - honestly I wouldn't be surprised since AT&T did seriously consider it before (partly to finance its mammoth debt, although IIRC there were other arms of AT&T that were doing much, much worse, like DirecTV).

Here's NYT's article on it:

• AT&T will spin out WarnerMedia through a reverse Morris Trust and merge it with Discovery. AT&T shareholders will own 71 percent of the combined business, but Discovery’s C.E.O., David Zaslav, will run it.
It looks to be mainly streaming services that are sold, but WB Games is part of WarnerMedia IIRC, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're partioned. Seems like a bit of an afterthought according to the reporting, but TBF the reporting does accurately look at the point of this sell-off: to unwind ****-tons of debt (CNBC noted that AT&T are trying to rewind what happened in the last few years in the process) and create a streaming giant AT&T still have access to via the stocks.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
New game: If you had to pick one Pokemon from each generation to add as new Pokeball summons, what would you pick? My picks:

1) Kangaskhan
3) Shedinja
4) Honchkrow (which summons a flock of Murkrow to attack opponents, thereby simultaneously filling the Gen 2 part)
5) Golurk
6) Noivern
7) Guzzlord
8) Sirfetch'd

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah, the monsters in Resident Evil are definitely not going to fly in Smash. It doesn't mean a playable character wouldn't work, but Spirits would clearly have to be limited to very specific ones. In a way, the Spirit Event may have been as far as they could go. Stuff like the ammo system and guns(and knives) aren't an issue, honestly. It's just the monsters are clearly well beyond Smash's age rating. There might still be a few that can work, but they may not be notable enough.

It sucks too. RE is awesome(albeit, I didn't play the games but did watch the movies). If they were strapped for Spirits, they could even use a few movie-only characters if Cacpom Co LTD. would allow it(and licensing wouldn't require them to go to another company). It's not like a Spirit Board has to be massive. There's enough humans alone for a small board, I think? Not counting the playable character(s). Well, depending if any could be plausible as an alt, but I think they might be all different shapes. Nemesis is like the only protagonist I know that is very grotesque and probably wouldn't get a Spirit compared to the other humans. At the very least, they didn't fail to give it some due, so that's nice. :)
Even if we didn't include any of the monsters as spirits and just had human characters, (and let's just say for the sake of argument, included the max amount of characters as playable to challenge ourselves as much as possible, with Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire all as alts/echos/whatever of each other), there's still more than enough humans throughout the series to include as spirits. I'd think even a character like Mr. X probably isn't that grotesque, since all of the body horror stuff is covered up by the trenchcoat (the rest of the tyrants probably would be though), or Lady Dimitrescu for that matter. There are also characters like Steve Burnside or William Birkin that start off as humans but mutate into grotesque monsters, in which case they could easily just use the human artwork for the spirit but the monster form when deciding the characters to use for the battle.

Just off the top of my head (on top of the four I just listed above and not counting the four playable characters in this situation):
Albert Wesker
Ada Wong
Billy Coen
Rebecca Chambers
Barry Burton
Sherry Birkin
Carlos Oliveira
Ashley Graham
Sheva Alomar
Jake Muller
Helena Harper
Piers Nivens
Ethan Winters
and more....

Which is more than enough to fill up a spirit board the size of the rest of the challenger packs we've seen so far (or just 3rd Party series in general).

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Nemesis is like the only protagonist I know that is very grotesque and probably wouldn't get a Spirit compared to the other humans. At the very least, they didn't fail to give it some due, so that's nice. :)
Hmmm, maybe Nemesis T-Type could work if he were to use one of his masked designs from concept art.

Then again, Sakurai might not want to use that design due to it not being the most recognizable design of Nemesis.

Edit: Oh wait, that design still exposes some muscle fibers.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmmm, maybe Nemesis T-Type could work if he were to use one of his masked designs from concept art.

Then again, Sakurai might not want to use that design due to it not being the most recognizable design of Nemesis.

Edit: Oh wait, that design still exposes some muscle fibers.
Hmm. One of the images with slight modification could potentially work. Removing the blood/etc. also helps. I don't think any Spirit even comes close. Ridley is the only with a semi-grotesque body other than the one from Bayonetta, and they're pretty subdued. Considering he didn't get a Spirit(albeit, Spirit Events don't go beyond 4 spirits total, do they?), maybe there wasn't a way to do it that satisfied Capcom Co LTD and/or CERO.

Since I never played the games, how many human protagonists are there? And I remember there being a few other humans of note too. That alone could make for a good Spirit Board. It'd be shorter than some, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The only thing that might suck at most is not having a lot of unique options for who to represent them. Snake and Steve/Alex easily are good options for different reasons, but who else would fit(Nemesis easily can work with some heavier characters, or even just have the "Heavy" status like other spirits alone have).

Even if we didn't include any of the monsters as spirits and just had human characters, (and let's just say for the sake of argument, included the max amount of characters as playable to challenge ourselves as much as possible, with Chris/Leon/Jill/Claire all as alts/echos/whatever of each other), there's still more than enough humans throughout the series to include as spirits. I'd think even a character like Mr. X probably isn't that grotesque, (the rest of the tyrants probably would be though), or Lady Dimitrescu for that matter.

Just off the top of my head (on top of the two I just listed above and not counting the four playable characters in this situation):
Albert Wesker
Ada Wong
Billy Coen
Rebecca Chambers
Barry Burton
Sherry Birkin
Carlos Oliveira
Ashley Graham
Sheva Alomar
Jake Muller
Helena Harper
Piers Nivens
Ethan Winters
and more....

Which is more than enough to fill up a spirit board the size of the rest of the challenger packs we've seen so far (or just 3rd Party series in general).
Ah, thank you!!

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Several monsters and BOWs and infected from Resident Evil are more than okay enough to work in Smash as a spirit, even as far back as the original games.
Hunters are fine, Mr X is fine (you could honestly make a board solely of the Tyrant variations which also includes Nemesis), Yawn is fine, Reapers are fine, Regenerators are fine, Ganados are fine, El Gigante is fine, a lot of new creatures and bosses from Village would work fine and so on.

You just wouldn't be able to have the body horror type transformations like Birkin or anything that might be too explicit like zombie art with bloodstains or Lickers because they have exposed brains that aren't stylised ala Mother Brain.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I can definitely understand doubt on some like the Licker or anything involving decapitation, but I feel a good amount of monsters like zombies, Hunters, Ganados, El Gigante, Regenerators, and Tyrants are still on the safe side. Same with the main mold monster from 7 and the Lycans from Village. Heck, even Las Plagas can get away by using the Plaga design that goes outside of the host. And no, organs like the heart showing on the main Tyrant from the first Resident Evil wouldn't stop it when in Smash 4 3DS we had the frickin' Clubberskull which is basically a giant heart with an eye and muscle arms.

And even if we didn't use monsters, there are definitely plenty of characters in the games to use as Spirits. We don't just have the recurring characters like Leon, Jill, Wesker, Ada Wong, etc, and plenty of hero characters like Ethan Winters, Rebecca Chambers, Billy Coen, Carlos Olivera, Sheva Alamor, Helena Harper, Barry Burton, etc, but we also have villains who's designs would not have issues, like Mr. X, Alexia Ashford, Osmond Saddler, Jack Krauser, Alex Wesker, the Baker Family, and the new villains from Village. We don't need to acknowledge the movies.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
New game: If you had to pick one Pokemon from each generation to add as new Pokeball summons, what would you pick? My picks:

1) Kangaskhan
3) Shedinja
4) Honchkrow (which summons a flock of Murkrow to attack opponents, thereby simultaneously filling the Gen 2 part)
5) Golurk
6) Noivern
7) Guzzlord
8) Sirfetch'd
1) Meowth (quite ridiculous he isn't in already. Though NOW they can add the regional variants as alts)

2) Feraligatr (used to be my favorite starter before Inteleon came along)

3) Blaziken (Come on, man... the guy was MADE for fighting games)

4) Croagunk (he is adorable and you know it. Despite how terrified everyone else is of him. Plus he'd be a Poison Pokemon in Smash)

5) Zoroark (I quite love it, it's like "edgelord Lucario" and it's amazing for that. I love the wild Raditz hair... heh... Zoroark as the Raditz to Lucario's Goku)

6) Trevenant (Somehow it'll work. Terrifying Forest Curse type thing. Ghost and Grass moves all at once)

7) Buzzwole (ULTRA BEAST REPRESENT. Represent with the BEST Ultra Beast)

8) Inteleon (my new favorite Starter)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If it helps, I really never played the games and I only saw the actual monstrous ones, that are way more grotesque.

Thanks for the information. :)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If it helps, I really never played the games and I only saw the actual monstrous ones, that are way more grotesque.

Thanks for the information. :)
I'd recommend picking them up if you have the chance, most of the games are relatively short when it comes to time commitment and there are a lot of collections that make them relatively easy to purchase in bulk if you have any of the modern systems. RE1 remake is pretty much available on all modern systems, (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) and on all four of those systems there's a bundle with both RE0 and RE1. There's also another bundle with a triple pack of RE4, RE5, and RE6 on Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC as well. RE2 and RE3 remakes, as well as RE7 are around 20-30 USD on PS4, Xbox One, or PC too. There's also a RE Revelations collection with Revelations 1 and 2 on Switch, PS4, Xbox One as well and it's really cheap on Steam.

D

Deleted member

It looks like there's room for more characters too in the select screen. I could see them adding post release characters like with Mario Tennis Aces, with good bets on Diddy, Birdo, and Toadette.
Mario Golf_ Super Rush - Overview Trailer - Nintendo Switch 4-49 screenshot.png

I wouldn't count on it. Depends on how many Miis you can create.

Edit: Just noticed how stoned Yoshi looks in this screenshot lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
calendar theory let's gooooooooo

theyll then still reveal the final fighter at e3 to be released in august
You want another calendar theory?
The ten DLC characters have all been released during a different month: there are only two characters and two months left:

January: Byleth
February: Piranha Plant (formal release)
March: Pyra & Mythra
April: Joker
May:???
June: Min-Min
July: Hero
August:???
September: Banjo & Kazooie
October: Steve & Alex
November: Terry
December: Sephiroth

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You want another calendar theory?
The ten DLC characters have all been released during a different month: there are only two characters and two months left:

January: Byleth
February: Piranha Plant (formal release)
March: Pyra & Mythra
April: Joker
May:???
June: Min-Min
July: Hero
August:???
September: Banjo & Kazooie
October: Steve & Alex
November: Terry
December: Sephiroth
thats the precise one i was referring to yes

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Or they could just record crowd cheers in those languages for the Pokemon.
Steve, Alex, Enderman, Zombie and Min Min all use the Japanese crowd cheers. There's already precedent for them recording extra crowd cheers only if they absolutely have to for this pass.
Oh, thank GOD someone finally confirmed that! Ever since Steve, I've been wondering if COVID caused the Smash team to cut development costs by reusing Japanese cheers for him, Min Min, and the rest of the Minecraft crew.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Watch us get a reveal this week even though it absolutely makes zero sense.View attachment 315532
May 19th, huh? So it'll be Steely Dan

"MAY NINETEEN! No WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE can't dance together. No WEEEEEEEEEE can't talk at all. PLEASE TAKE ME ALONG WHEN YOU SLIDE ON DOWN!"

Heh heh heh heh.

I would totally love a Smash fighter this week. Just end a BIT of the madness just that much sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom