• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Always found Timesplitters to be a charming game, if Cortez gets in, a Monkey needs to be on his spirit board. Why? Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect seem to love them for reasons I am not sure of.
Plus, Cortez would be pretty unique, especially if he's the first FPS fighter to enter the roster; not only because of the aforementioned FPS things, but also because of his timelord powers.

Wait what

I thought she was just flat chested?
Well, the theory is that she could be either a hermaphrodite or a completely biological man with womanly features (not saying that's a bad thing, just to let you know).

What’s with all the Darkstalkers talk lately? Did something come up with the series lately that I missed? Not that I mind really, just curious.
Not really, it's just that Morrigan would be a great candidate for a Smasher.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Plus, Cortez would be pretty unique, especially if he's the first FPS fighter to enter the roster; not only because of the aforementioned FPS things, but also because of his timelord powers.

Well, the theory is that she could be either a hermaphrodite or a completely biological man with boobs and other womanly features (not saying that's a bad thing, just to let you know).

Not really, it's just that Morrigan would be a great candidate for a Smasher.
Okay, two things:

1. Cortez is not a timelord, he's a space marine through and through (in the vein of Vin Diesel's Riddick). Time Crystals (the McGuffins) and / or time machines are needed to time travel in the TimeSplitters series.

2. That theory doesn't seem to have any official confirmation, as Lilith is a part of Morrigan's soul that gained its own conciousness and sentience in universe. Personally I'm willing to bet she's female since she (IIRC) is identified as such.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I'm not sure this has been realized by this group here yet, but over Smash's DLC history we've been given multiple examples that either Nintendo, Sakurai, and a mixture of both don't give a **** and will pretty much do things the community thinks they never would.

The latest being not just getting another 'animu swordu-fighta-desu' but the fact that we got Pyra/Mythra right after Sephiroth which makes back-to-back swordfighters. This screams to me that either Yuri or Lloyd can easily be in this pass as well despite all the supposed fan frustration because they keep making money on these sword-toting hooligans, and of course Hayabusa is an easy one as he has much more than just his sword to offer.

Thus, as with most things around here, if I see the community en masse saying that Nintendo wouldn't do that or is going to do that, I tend to look towards the opposite. 'They just released two swordfighters back to back, they wouldn't do another for sure!'

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So I'm not sure this has been realized by this group here yet, but over Smash's DLC history we've been given multiple examples that either Nintendo, Sakurai, and a mixture of both don't give a **** and will pretty much do things the community thinks they never would.

The latest being not just getting another 'animu swordu-fighta-desu' but the fact that we got Pyra/Mythra right after Sephiroth which makes back-to-back swordfighters. This screams to me that either Yuri or Lloyd can easily be in this pass as well despite all the supposed fan frustration because they keep making money on these sword-toting hooligans, and of course Hayabusa is an easy one as he has much more than just his sword to offer.

Thus, as with most things around here, if I see the community en masse saying that Nintendo wouldn't do that or is going to do that, I tend to look towards the opposite. 'They just released two swordfighters back to back, they wouldn't do another for sure!'
I totally agree with this. One reason I’m not all that interested in speculating who is most likely is that Sakurai is often so unpredictable so I don’t think anything is out of the question. The other is that I’d rather talk about characters that interest me than the same 5-10 characters the community sees as most likely.

Technomage

Smash Champion
New challenge: If you had to add one more Pokemon to the roster for each type (whether single or dual type; not counting mega evolutions or alternate forms, only the main ones (though Galarian and Alolan forms will be counted)) not represented, which Mons would you pick. My picks:

Ice: Either Weavile or Regice
Rock: Diancie
Ground/Ghost: Golurk
Bug: Genesect
Dragon/Ground: Garchomp

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah like SKX31 SKX31 said, while Cortez is no timelord, he can control time using more conventional means. He can travel to any point in time with the help of his partner, Anya in the third game. He can also use Time Grenades which the blast makes the area slow down in time so it's not all bad.

D

Deleted member

Everyone here has realized it. Expectations are rarely met as far as 'predictions' go. It's just that without any kind of leak or rumor, all people can really do is speculate based on whatever they perceive as likely.

Until disconfirmations happen, you'll usually see a pattern like this:

Character Speculation (Lloyd or Yuri Tales of... Rep, Pokemon, Dark Souls Rep, Ryu Hyabusa, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, or FPS series Rep)
Forum Game
Annoyance on how 'everyone here' won't acknowledge some backwater, nigh-impossible character's chances
Speculation on Less Likely Inclusions
Theory Speculation
Forum Game that's basically just 'state your wishlist'
'What if' character Speculation where Sakurai's 'video game only' statement is ignored or conveniently circumvented
Comments about the info drought and back to Theory crafting again
Circle back to top of pattern list and repeat

At least until a semi-plausible leak or rumor comes out or an actual Info drop occurs. Otherwise, its usually this pattern on repeat in between character releases.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
New challenge: If you had to add one more Pokemon to the roster for each type (whether single or dual type; not counting mega evolutions or alternate forms, only the main ones (though Galarian and Alolan forms will be counted)) not represented, which Mons would you pick. My picks:

Ice: Sneasel
Rock: Kabutops
Ghost: Gengar
Ground: Gligar
Bug: Golisopod
Dragon: Garchomp

And with this game I just noticed that a lot of my favorite Pokémon start with the letter G.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

They could be the next characters, but this line of thinking feels similar to what we do every time we get a new character. "They said we couldn't get Steve because he wasn't a serious choice. Now we'll get Jonsey." "We just got Sephiroth. I'm thinking Eggman is coming."

It's probably for the best if we ignore the newest patterns and assess everything there is to consider that could possibly hold back/help a character to get in Smash.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Nice topic. 👏

Ice/Ground: Mamoswine
Rock/Ground: Golem (I would prefer Onix, but they're probably too big. Lol)
Ghost/Poison: Gengar
Bug/Fighting: Heracross
Dragon/Flying: Dragonite

Paraster

Smash Lord
New challenge: If you had to add one more Pokemon to the roster for each type (whether single or dual type; not counting mega evolutions or alternate forms, only the main ones (though Galarian and Alolan forms will be counted)) not represented, which Mons would you pick.
I have a lot of honorable mentions lol

Ice: Alolan Sandslash (or Froslass)
Ghost: Dhelmise (or Froslass, Chandelure, or Marshadow)
Bug: Volcarona (or Leavanny or Galvantula)
Rock: Alolan Graveler (or Gigalith)
Ground: Gliscor (or Golurk, Runerigus, or Krokorok)
Dragon: Noivern (or Hydreigon)

D

Deleted member

Rock: Kabutops
Dragon: Garchomp

And with this game I just noticed that a lot of my favorite Pokémon start with the letter G.
Ok, now do it again, but don't double dip into types (Kabutops & Golisopod are sharing 'Water' typing; Gligar & Garchomp are sharing 'Ground' typing)

Technomage

Smash Champion
Ok, now do it again, but don't double dip into types (Kabutops & Golisopod are sharing 'Water' typing; Gligar & Garchomp are sharing 'Ground' typing)
I will be doing your version of my challenge now:

Dragon: Dragonite

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Rock: Lycanroc Midnight
Dragon: Zekrom

I feel bad leaving out Cofagrigus and Orbeetle because they are in my top 4 favorite Pokémon overall but they are slightly edged out by Gengar and Golisopod.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Damn, four full months without a new DLC character reveal seems quite an eternity at this point when we were getting used to a two-months pattern.

I said four months cuz it's pretty obvious at this point that the next character reveal will be at E3 and Pythra was revealed in february.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Damn, four full months without a new DLC character reveal seems quite an eternity at this point when we were getting used to a two-months pattern.

I said four months cuz it's pretty obvious at this point that the next character reveal will be at E3 and Pythra was revealed in february.
Yeah, that'd make me more impatient. Though to be fair, since Pythra was revealed in late February, it might not actually be a full 4 months.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

After Sephiroth three of the most common predictions were Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa and Lloyd. People were not just aware that we might get more swordfighters, they were actively bracing for more. If you saw this community saying we wouldn't get more swordies, you weren't looking very extensively.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's a very standard answer as well. If you were asked if you would like to see your character in Smash, you would naturally say yes. That's basically the answer of this producer guy.

This doesn't disconfirm Crash at all. Devs talking about Smash doesn't mean their character are instantly out. If that was the case Terry would have never got in because Oda, I think? from SNK was asked the same before Terry's announcement and he answered with a very similar comment.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's a very standard answer as well. If you were asked if you would like to see your character in Smash, you would naturally say yes. That's basically the answer of this producer guy.

This doesn't disconfirm Crash at all. Devs talking about Smash doesn't mean their character are instantly out. If that was the case Terry would have never got in because Oda, I think? from SNK was asked the same before Terry's announcement and he answered with a very similar comment.
can i see it? i want to see the exact wording

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Nah, but this has slightly more weight. Of course, it could always be the 'Oh they're just saying that because NDA' but I doubt it. The typical response is usually to just say nothing, or say you know nothing about it; not 'we're still waiting to get in'.
No because that's also someone who works for Toys for Bob, not Activision.

SKX31

Smash Master
I believe it's this interview, right?

Of course, I also asked about the possibility of an SNK character in Smash Bros. The answer was not unexpected:

“I’d love that, please Nintendo-san!”
If Nintendo asked for a character for Smash Bros. he mentioned that a fun idea would be Poppy (Galford’s dog from Samurai Shodown) on his own. A ninja dog would be a cool option.

And from the Chinese web, two things: First, Bamco are going to release China-specific Don-Chan toys:

donchantoys.png

Source: Via Weibo (Chinese Twitter)

Second... um... this:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

“I’d love that, please Nintendo-san!”. And Oda is a big guy in SNK.

Also:

If Nintendo asked for a character for Smash Bros. he mentioned that a fun idea would be Poppy (Galford’s dog from Samurai Shodown) on his own. A ninja dog would be a cool option.

Asked if there is any other franchise he’d like to place SNK’s characters into, he mentioned that he thinks that Charlotte from Samurai Shodown is a very unique character, and would fit in many different series. He would also love to see Terry Bogard in a Dragon Ball game, but he would lose in one hit.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

“I’d love that, please Nintendo-san!”. And Oda is a big guy in SNK.

Also:

Asked if there is any other franchise he’d like to place SNK’s characters into, he mentioned that he thinks that Charlotte from Samurai Shodown is a very unique character, and would fit in many different series. He would also love to see Terry Bogard in a Dragon Ball game, but he would lose in one hit.
>He would also love to see Terry Bogard in a Dragon Ball game
Hmm yes Terry Ball Z

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Ultimate has shown us that fan demand does have value, but definitely isn't the end-all-be-all factor for who makes it in. It was Sephiroth who exemplified that most recently.
I’m really thankful for that too. Sephiroth is among my favorite characters ever and I was a lot more hyped to see him than I would have been for most commonly requested characters personally.

I tend to prefer more niche characters in general over mainstream ones so it’s great that they aren’t totally out of the question just because they aren’t heavily requested.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Still nowhere near as bad as an Arms character being announced in April & that being stretched out to June then the next Smash news not happening until October. 2020 was not fun lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still nowhere near as bad as an Arms character being announced in April & that being stretched out to June then the next Smash news not happening until October. 2020 was not fun lol
it wasn't fun for more reasons than just that

but yeah, i think the next character will have a "global" mechanic similar to how every single frickin stage had to be reworked for Steve. Sephiroth was probably the easiest of the characters to work on this pass, even though the boss mode was a bit tough. Pyra/Mythra got the ball rolling once Rex was dropped out of the equation, Min Min was probably the second hardest

i think this next fighter will dethrone Steve for the title of "hardest to work on"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom