• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
My opinion on the Pass so far:
Min Min: Hated ARMS, ARMS didn't translate well into Smash, and the Other Content was also Garbage Worst Challenger Pack 0/10 I know I'm biased, Shut. UP!
Steve: The Most Faithful Smash Character by far. Music was great, Stage could've gone to more diverse Biomes, but that's about it. Not the Best Pack, but it was definitely a fun pack. 8.5/10
Sephiroth: Fixed the Final Fantasy VII Problem, still didn't fix the problem with the other Final Fantasy Games. Cool Stage, Character, and Trailer, but the Pack overall still didn't fix the Problem for the Entire Final Fantasy Series. 6/10
Pyra & Mythra: Best Pack in Fighters Pass 2. Best Music, Best Stage, and the Best Gameplay Wise out of Fighters Pass 2. 9/10

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I just hope Banjo & Kazooie aren't the only non-human DLC characters. Besides Sephiroth this Fighters Pass has been pretty weak so far so I hope the last two challenger packs will have better characters.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Aside from Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman, what other classic NES-era third-party characters have yet to be playable?
Contra. Bill/lance are really the only NES icons I have any interest in seeing playable at this point.

Beyond that there's also Battletoads, but I don't see them being added over Master Chief if Microsoft was approached for a third character.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Bill Rizer, Arthur, Billy and Jimmy, and the Battletoads are probably the only major third party NES-era characters left I can think of besides the ones you listed.
Add Blaster Master to that list and I think you've got a very solid list there!
But I'm incredibly biased on Blaster Master so maybe it might not be as big as I hope it is, ghehe.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I just hope Banjo & Kazooie aren't the only non-human DLC characters. Besides Sephiroth this Fighters Pass has been pretty weak so far so I hope the last two challenger packs will have better characters.
Steve may be human (I think) but he is very visually different from all the other characters.

Contra. Bill/lance are really the only NES icons I have any interest in seeing playable at this point.

Beyond that there's also Battletoads, but I don't see them being added over Master Chief if Microsoft was approached for a third character.
Bill Rizer’s style of multi-directional gunplay would make him stand out gameplaywise.

And if Rare was still with Nintendo, we’d probably see Rash as a playable character by Smash 4, along with Joanna Dark and:ultbanjokazooie: in Brawl. Maybe even Gruntilda in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But the question is which one to rep, Final Fantasy has a ton of characters and goig forward it'll probably be the 3rd party with the most reps, just who to add though? I see Gilgamesh, Terra, Kefka, Vivi, Zidane, Squall, Tidus, (Auron would be cool too), Yuna, and Noctis as the only viable character right now however using a basic class from the old games is possible too.

if you were to add three Final Fantasy character to smash who would you add?

I say three because i couldn't decide which to use, anyway im putting Down Gilgamesh, Terra and Fat Chocobo!!!!! but actually my real last one would probably be Tidus or someone from 10 even though I much prefer 9.
I’m pretty sure I’m going to be alone in my opinion, but I would personally love to see Vincent Valentine, Lulu, and Freya Crescent (or basically anyone from FFIX). Vincent and Lulu aren’t two favorite Final Fantasy characters and Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game ever. I went with Freya because she has a really cool design and would finally give us a spear user. I think all three would have really interesting and unique movesets and would be a ton of fun to play. The main problem is that none of them are main protagonists and I’m not even sure how popular they are. They would just be my personal choices.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You call this a human being?
main.png

A human being is capable of love, empathy, sympathy and all sorts of positive emotions. This... This creature only knows destruction and chaos

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It’s interesting how Double Dragon always felt like it struggled a bit after the NES, as it not only had increased competition from licensed games ala TMNT but also the likes of Final Fight and Streets of Rage, both of which ended up doing their core concept a bit better.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I haven't played the original PS1 Crash 2 in probably 2 decades at this point and haven't ever touched the PS1 version of crash 1 or 3, but if they aren't that far off from how the games are on the NSane trilogy then honestly I'd probably put the original crash trilogy over Mario 64, and I say this as someone who cares about Mario WAAAAY more than Crash Bandicoot. I never grew up on Mario 64, and trying to play the game on Wii U and Mario 3D collection was incredibly rough and frustrating. maybe a hot take or unpopular opinion, but 3D Mario for me didn't get good until Super Mario Galaxy 1.
Same. At least for Crash 3, which I definitely prefer to Mario 64.

Ok but consider the following. Vivi is a smol babby who is also the absolute goodest of boys
Anyone who would rather have Black Mage instead of Vivi deserves no rights.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You call this a human being?
View attachment 307618
A human being is capable of love, empathy, sympathy and all sorts of positive emotions. This... This creature only knows destruction and chaos
That's not very nice. He's just a cardboard box that can blink. He keeps his human heart inside his chest, Just like Bender.

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean at this point I think Sephiroth's become more JENOVA than human. There's also Pyra and Mythra being Blades and not actual humans, so...

Min Min is actually the only human in this pass so far
and even then she's like half noodle
Meaning, in reality, all ARMS characters are mutants and there are no human FP2 characters so far. (It's only a matter of time until Professor X sends an invite to the ARMS characters to his school / institute for gifted youngsters huh?) :4pacman:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Meaning, in reality, all ARMS characters are mutants and there are no human FP2 characters so far. (It's only a matter of time until Professor X sends an invite to the ARMS characters to his school / institute for gifted youngsters huh?) :4pacman:
Technically, it'd be the Mutant Island of Krakoa based on the current state of X-Men in the comics.

Also, did they actually say the ARMS thing was a type of mutation? It's been awhile since I last checked...

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Also, did they actually say the ARMS thing was a type of mutation? It's been awhile since I last checked...
In ARMS Lore, people wake up with ARMS, everyone has the potential to gain them. Those that gain the ARMS receive a mask from ARMS Lab to control the ability.

I think... I never played ARMS.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Technically, it'd be the Mutant Island of Krakoa based on the current state of X-Men in the comics.

Yeah, just some weird phenomenon that never got explained. They just wake up one day with spring-arms and swirly eyes, freak out for a bit, then accept that it's actually pretty rad (In the words of James "Spring" Man). Then they enter a tournament and fight because yes.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
In ARMS Lore, people wake up with ARMS, everyone has the potential to gain them. Those that gain the ARMS receive a mask from ARMS Lab to control the ability.

That sounds right. Don’t worry about not playing ARMS, to my recollection this information is not present in game. Although to be fair I spent like 99% of my time with that game playing ranked so who knows.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Yeah, just some weird phenomenon that never got explained. They just wake up one day with spring-arms and swirly eyes, freak out for a bit, then accept that it's actually pretty rad (In the words of James "Spring" Man). Then they enter a tournament and fight because yes.
I'm starting to wish that graphic novel wasn't cancelled...

Also, petition to add Irish the Hedgehog to the Sonic games so he can be our next Sonic rep.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Happy St. Patty's Day!

I'm starting to wish that graphic novel wasn't cancelled...

Also, petition to add Irish the Hedgehog to the Sonic games so he can be our next Sonic rep.

So Jet's Irish?

Fascinating...

Technomage

Smash Champion
Aside from Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman, what other classic NES-era third-party characters have yet to be playable?
I'm looking up a list of the best NES games, so I'm gonna list chars I think most gamers are familiar with (and have game origins, of course):

Contra Guy (I forget his name)
Bimmy Billy and Jimmy Lee
Ryu Hayabusa
Rash, Pimple, and Zits
Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins
Spencer from Bionic Commando

RetroBro

Smash Ace
My opinion on the Pass so far:
Min Min: Hated ARMS, ARMS didn't translate well into Smash, and the Other Content was also Garbage Worst Challenger Pack 0/10 I know I'm biased, Shut. UP!
Steve: The Most Faithful Smash Character by far. Music was great, Stage could've gone to more diverse Biomes, but that's about it. Not the Best Pack, but it was definitely a fun pack. 8.5/10
Sephiroth: Fixed the Final Fantasy VII Problem, still didn't fix the problem with the other Final Fantasy Games. Cool Stage, Character, and Trailer, but the Pack overall still didn't fix the Problem for the Entire Final Fantasy Series. 6/10
Pyra & Mythra: Best Pack in Fighters Pass 2. Best Music, Best Stage, and the Best Gameplay Wise out of Fighters Pass 2. 9/10

Min Min: Arms is a welcome addition and despite me not liking her playstyle 8/10
Steve: Minecraft deserved representation and again - not a fan of the playstyle or even the idea that they had to spend so much time reworking every stage ect to fit him in. 7/10
Sephiroth: Fun inclusion though I wish they included FF music from FF1-10. So many opportunities missed because of copyright bs. 9/10
Pyra & Mythra: Power Creep extraordinaire, nothing particularly unique about the character other than pokemon trainers/zelda/shiek's switch mechanic. My least favorite addition to date. 2/10

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Aside from Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman, what other classi
I’m pretty sure I’m going to be alone in my opinion, but I would personally love to see Vincent Valentine, Lulu, and Freya Crescent (or basically anyone from FFIX). Vincent and Lulu aren’t two favorite Final Fantasy characters and Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game ever. I went with Freya because she has a really cool design and would finally give us a spear user. I think all three would have really interesting and unique movesets and would be a ton of fun to play. The main problem is that none of them are main protagonists and I’m not even sure how popular they are. They would just be my personal choices.
that's pretty good, so far FFIX is my favorite FF game but im playing 6 of them simultaneously so idk they're fusing into one mega JRPG in my head.

FF has so much potential, they should really make a fighting game out of it..... wait a minute.......

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
that's pretty good, so far FFIX is my favorite FF game but im playing 6 of them simultaneously so idk they're fusing into one mega JRPG in my head.

FF has so much potential, they should really make a fighting game out of it..... wait a minute.......
The first two Dissidias were great, with 012 being the best in my opinion. NT feels like such a step down in almost every way :c

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think people arguing about new characters based on how unique they are is extremely faulty. It starts to feel less and less about being happy a CHARACTER you want made it in Smash and it becomes more so a checklist of seeing what move varies just enough from other characters to where they pass this "check" system so it's ok to put them in the game.

There's really only so many ways someone can punch or slash you. There are 80 characters in the roster. At this point the only thing to really differentiate character moves is with their B specials. If we get another brawler you can bet they're gonna share several moves that look similar to a lot of other brawlers on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom