• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
You must be new to Nintendo. They always drip feed info with their big titles, especially Smash. You really think they’re gonna give out all the details in the same presentation that they revealed Banjo’s release date AND announced Terry? No fam. They’re gonna milk it like they always do. Not to mention that Sakurai specifically said like a month later that all the characters had already been decided.
So, that then places the decision a month later than FP2s announcement? Therefore disproving your very argument it had been fully decided beforehand?
Your going off of nothing here other than “I know how Nintendo works.”
Nobody outside Nintendo knows how Nintendo works. Not even half the people at Nintendo do.

Last edited:
So, that then places the decision a month later than FP2s announcement? Therefore disproving your very argument it had been fully decided beforehand?
Your going off of nothing here other than “I know how Nintendo works.”
Nobody knows how Nintendo works. Not even half the people at Nintendo do.
Your whole argument is going off of “well they didn’t tell us everything about the pass so therefore they must’ve only decided that morning that they were gonna make more characters”

They’re a business my guy. You don’t think they have these things planned out long before we hear about them? They don’t just fly by the seat of their pants the same way youtubers pump out videos or something. We even know that Steve was in talks for 5 years. Yet you’re tryna tell me that they didn’t have everything squared away at the time of the announcement?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We even know that Steve was in talks for 5 years.
Well yes, Steve was being negotiated for that long, and Sephiroth seems to be a part of a deal to allow Cloud to be a part of the base game and Square to earn more DLC money. These two are what I believe Sakurai was referring to when he said he thought one or two more fighters might suffice. With Min Min and Pythra being spirits in the base game, I believe plans to make them fighters started in 2019.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Your whole argument is going off of “well they didn’t tell us everything about the pass so therefore they must’ve only decided that morning that they were gonna make more characters”

They’re a business my guy. You don’t think they have these things planned out long before we hear about them? They don’t just fly by the seat of their pants the same way youtubers pump out videos or something. We even know that Steve was in talks for 5 years. Yet you’re tryna tell me that they didn’t have everything squared away at the time of the announcement?
I never said that. I said making an assumption because you think you understand a multi billion corporation made of tons of people who make different decisions is pointless.

They clearly do cut things close sometimes. Terry was revealed to be “in development” with 0 gameplay 2 months before his release.

It makes sense that they would’ve been in talks before Banjo, but having a full finalized list? Nah.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Happy International Women's Day!

View attachment 306414
Source

Here's a fun game, name 10 female characters you want for Smash.

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip
Let's do this:
  1. Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
  2. Cammy (Street Fighter)
  3. Octoling (Splatoon)
  4. Aigis (Persona 3)
  5. Tifa (FFVII)
  6. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  7. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
  8. Arle (Puyo Puyo)
  9. Impa (Zelda)
  10. Elma (Xenoblade)
Also Morrigan, Shantae, Anna, Mona, Roll, Tetra, Viridi, Medusa...We could be here all day.

D

Deleted member

Here's a small question for ya'll: who's been your favorite reveal out of all the DLC so far?

Paraster

Smash Lord
Wait why would Neku be a Swordfighter? Wouldn’t Brawler fit him better for a costume?
I don't think Brawler fits Neku; he uses both summoned melee weapons and ranged "magic" attacks while Brawler is just beating people up.
Swordfighter would balance those weapon psychs and ranged psychs decently well. The sword could be based on the one that appears during Massive Hit (albeit much smaller, obviously).

I never said that. I said making an assumption because you think you understand a multi billion corporation made of tons of people who make different decisions is pointless.

They clearly do cut things close sometimes. Terry was revealed to be “in development” with 0 gameplay 2 months before his release.

It makes sense that they would’ve been in talks before Banjo, but having a full finalized list? Nah.
Again, of course they’re gonna say “in development” as an excuse to drip feed and keep people on their toes. Good lord y’all think that if they don’t blow their whole load all at once it means that they have nothing at all. That’s not how it works. It’s called marketing. It’s how Nintendo always do things. You really think they went from 0 to full character ready to be released within 2 months? You’ve gotta be kidding

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Again, of course they’re gonna say “in development” as an excuse to drip feed and keep people on their toes. Good lord y’all think that if they don’t blow their whole load all at once it means that they have nothing at all. That’s not how it works. It’s called marketing. It’s how Nintendo always do things. You really think they went from 0 to full character ready to be released within 2 months? You’ve gotta be kidding
Oh yeah sure. When no gameplay is given unlike any other challenger, when in development is said unlike every other challenger. It’s definitely not because the fighter is still super early in development. Its because Nintendo felt like drip feeding stuff this Tuesday.

Source? Just trust me bro. :troll:

SKX31

Smash Master
Here's a small question for ya'll: who's been your favorite reveal out of all the DLC so far?
:ultsephiroth: , if only because:

1) Watching Maximillian lose his **** again was 100 % worth it.
2) Part of my reaction echoed Cloud's ("Ah ****, fighting Sephiroths online is going to be a paaaaaain..."). Which is a weird thing to say as a positive, but that fit the trailer's theming really well.
3) I love characters who blows up stuff, so I instantly fell in love with how Sephiroth plays.

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I really enjoyed Hero's reveal trailer because I love Dragon Quest and I loved the way that each hero came in. However, the fact that DQ was predicted by everyone and their entire neighborhood kind of took away from it. Still my favorite though. It wasn't shocking at all that they got into the game, but it was a pleasant surprise with the different alts.

Oh yeah sure. When no gameplay is given unlike any other challenger, when in development is said unlike every other challenger. It’s definitely not because the fighter is still super early in development. Its because Nintendo felt like drip feeding stuff this Tuesday.

Source? Just trust me bro. :troll:
Perhaps because they hadn’t even released the previous character yet? Banjo of course. You really think they wanna overshadow the character they haven’t even released yet by showcasing the entirety of the next character, on top of announcing that more fighters are on the way? You have a very surface level understanding of how marketing works. You’re insane if you legitimately believe they went from nothing but a reveal trailer to full playable character with stage and music all within 2 months. Have we forgotten that Sakurai films his presentations months in advance? That in and of itself should be enough to prove your point wrong

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
85B3AF2D-0D7A-43A1-B1B3-8A5E7E069F05.jpeg

I wish I was joking. But I have legit never laughed as hard as I did when Sans was announced as a mii.
I love Undertale so much and the Meme was so strong that it can never be topped.

SKX31

Smash Master
I keep trying to find Sakurai quotes. But idk if google is the most reliable place anymore for info. Cause Smash 6s roster apparently is looking fire.
Wait, is this 3H's secret 5th ending where Byleth fully embraces his / her inner Distance Demon and proceeds to wreck Fodlan? :4pacman:

Sakurai: "Smash is for good boys and girls."

Also Sakurai: Adds a literal demon to the roster.
Diablo has entered the chat.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Perhaps because they hadn’t even released the previous character yet? Banjo of course. You really think they wanna overshadow the character they haven’t even released yet by showcasing the entirety of the next character, on top of announcing that more fighters are on the way? You have a very surface level understanding of how marketing works. You’re insane if you legitimately believe they went from nothing but a reveal trailer to full playable character with stage and music all within 2 months. Have we forgotten that Sakurai films his presentations months in advance? That in and of itself should be enough to prove your point wrong
You keep using ad hominem phrases like “You don’t understand Nintendo” and “You don’t understand marketing”. Honey you don’t know me. You got my age and some words about a children fighting game, but you got no clue what I know. Especially not that I live with people who talk and talk about marketing.

Music is just files. All that was needed are a few remixes and rights. Its not that hard. Terry is one of the most derivative unique characters in the game. Half his mechanics are easy to change from Ryu and Ken. Its not like Steve when they had to remake every stage. Melee was made in 13 months. You really think Sakurai can’t make a measly fighter in 2?

Pillow

Smash Lord
Joker for me. It was the first time I got a character I really wanted that I really didn't expect to ever come to the game. His inclusion also opened the door for many other characters I want, with him being a character without much legacy or Nintendo affiliation.

Though I've liked pretty much all of the DLC so far except Hero (nothing against his inclusion just his moveset doesn't click for me at all)

Wait, is this 3H's secret 5th ending where Byleth fully embraces his / her inner Distance Demon and proceeds to wreck Fodlan? :4pacman:

Diablo has entered the chat.
I was still surprised and somewhat disappointed that 3H didn't have a "true" ending where everyone lives D:

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Happy International Women's Day!

View attachment 306414
Source

I'll start.

1. Dixie Kong
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Chun-Li
5. Terra
6. Arle
7. Reimu
8. Ms. Pac-Man
9. Octoling
10. Lip
1.Krystal (Star Fox)
2.Shantae (Shantae)
3. Gemini Sunrise (Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love)
4.Amaterasu (Okami)
5. Clementine (Telltale TWD)
6.Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
7. Cynder (Spyro)
8. Zelda Female Character
9. Ahri (League of Legends)
10. Puyo Puyo Tetris Female Character

Last edited:
You keep using ad hominem phrases like “You don’t understand Nintendo” and “You don’t understand marketing”. Honey you don’t know me. You got my age and some words about a children fighting game, but you got no clue what I know. Especially not that I live with people who talk and talk about marketing.

Music is just files. All that was needed are a few remixes and rights. Its not that hard. Terry is one of the most derivative unique characters in the game. Half his mechanics are easy to change from Ryu and Ken. Its not like Steve when they had to remake every stage. Melee was made in 13 months. You really think Sakurai can’t make a measly fighter in 2?
So let me ask you this, since you apparently know so much about the work that goes into making a fighter. If it’s so quick and easy to make a fighter, what were they doing for those 6 months between Joker’s announcement and the E3 reveals? Hell, they even gave us full fledged trailers at E3 for Hero and Banjo. What were they doing between E3 and Terry’s reveal if those characters already appeared ready to release? According to you, fighters and their stages and everything only take 2 months to create from the ground up, so what were they doing? Just sitting around twiddling their thumbs until it was time to announce Terry? And THEN they would finally get to work? Do you see how ridiculous that mentality sounds? Use your brain. Clearly they had already been working on him long before announcement. Just because they don’t blow their whole load all once doesn’t mean they have nothing to show. They’re always working on the next thing or two behind the scenes. I’m not even tryna act like I’m Mr. Know It All. It’s just freaking common sense. Not rocket science

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not really; it's for... a different reason.
:emptysheep:
You could've said Milky Way and be a bit more justified since the Gamecube game actually came out in other countries than just Japan. Gamecube Online Service when, Nintendo?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers)
Fio Germi (Metal Slug)
Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
Midna (Legend of Zelda)
Susie (Kirby)
Viridi (Kid Icarus)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
According to Imran Khan, FP2 was greenlit around E3 2019, so I can imagine the plans and stuff potentially not being fully completed until a few months later, when they then got to work. Depending on the timing, an Undertale character could be possible, but unfortunately feels unlikely (really would’ve loved Frisk & Chara or Sans & Papyrus).

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So let me ask you this, since you apparently know so much about the work that goes into making a fighter. If it’s so quick and easy to make a fighter, what were they doing for those 6 months between Joker’s announcement and the E3 reveals? Hell, they even gave us full fledged trailers at E3 for Hero and Banjo. What were they doing between E3 and Terry’s reveal if those characters already appeared ready to release? Fighters obviously only take 2 months to create from the ground up, so what were they doing? Just sitting around twiddling their thumbs until it was time to announce Terry? And THEN they would finally get to work? Do you see how ridiculous that mentality sounds? Use your brain. Clearly they had already been working on him long before announcement. Just because they don’t blow their whole load all once doesn’t mean they have nothing to show. I’m not even tryna act like I’m Mr. Know It All. It’s just freaking common sense. Not rocket science
Listen, calm down. Your being unnecessarily rude here.

My point this whole time was that Nintendo is hard to predict. Therefore I obviously don’t claim to know full development cycles.

6 months between Jokers announcement. If I had to guess that was for developing Joker to a perfect condition, and getting Banjo and Hero to be somewhat presentable. Long and ongoing development. Along with finishing Stage Builder, Online Tourneys, and Home Run Contest. Makes sense to me. But I don’t know for sure because I didn’t make the game.

Time between E3 to Terry I could guess was for Bug Fixing, balancing, timing, and the like.
And they clearly did have some work done on Terry, since his model was done. But in development and no gameplay implies not much. Rest of the time was spent developing Terry to be good.

Again, I ain’t part of Nintendo so my word ain’t law. It just makes sense to put the plan together like that.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What are some hip and radical new characters from recent franchises (last few years) you think would be cool to see in Smash?
The situation isn't looking great for it at the moment, but I genuinely honest to god would be so incredibly happy to see Undertale get a full character someday.

Sans is one of my favorite video game characters, memes or otherwise. I think his moveset would be insanely fun and he's arguably become one of the single most iconic video game characters to debut over the last decade.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know actually, How long does ACTIVE Development take for a Fighter you think

I'm not including the Planning that goes into the character's moveset, art, music, stage, etc, I'm talking about the time where they are actively modeling, animating, programming, balancing the character

Anyway Terry might have not had Gameplay finished to be revealed, but I'm gonna assume they didn't just make Terry in 2-3 months. Lots of planning goes beforehand, and they also have to get permission for everything related to Terry anyway, and that takes awhile as well.

I do think it is weird that Undertale doesn't have spirits, But I'm pretty sure that they had a baseline idea of how the FP2 Roster was gonna look already by the time they announced it, and was just finalizing the details of the actual characters themselves

Consider that Toby is only 1 Man, and he seems like a lax enough guy, It's possible that in 1-2 months, An actual Undertale Fighter could have been decided for the FP2 roster After the reaction to Sans mii costumes, and could explain why we have 6 characters instead of 5. Undertale would be the Extra addition

But I also think there already had to been ideas for Undertale fighter in the first place anyway, since alot does go into these fighters, in terms of planning, to make them to the quality of Smash standard. I'm sure that between Toby and Sakurai, there was discussion of other characters from Undertale besides Sans, but how detailed those discussions were depends

I will say that if we STILL don't get a 2010's Tournament for Smash, than My eyebrows will go up. Pyra/Mythra originated in the 2010's, just like Min Min, and just like Steve, if you start with Minecraft's Java release (which the game does). the tournament should come soon now. If it doesn't think yeah I could maybe see more into this idea of Undertale being decided to get a Full fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom