• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Xc2 does not have spirits for any of it's antagonists... That is a completely different case than every series spirits you mentioned
One of its games not having its antagonist as a spirit? First of all, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Kirby and Street Fighter all fit that too. All of those series have antagonists who didn't become spirits.

Second of all, you're just seeing it as a correlation because it's a definable anomaly. It's like saying we're definitely going to get a Sonic character because we received no new remixes. Not everything abnormal is a hint at something. And frankly, a game not having all its notable characters as spirits isn't even that abnormal.

And hell, if anything, the absence of content was more pronounced with XCX than XC2. But we didn't get Elma.

Shroob

Sup?
Genuine question: Why is anime such a derogatory term nowadays? Are people really that shocked that a game that predominantly features characters made in the same country anime originated has a lot of anime-styled characters in it?
As someone who's been on the internet for nearly 20 years, when hasn't anime been a derogatory term? It's been as far back as I can remember.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
individual design complaints from this forum being prude and averse to ANYTHING sexual are nothing new. gameplay complaints on a character with 2 forms and one being speed and one being power when that is 100 percent different from the rest of the roster is picky at best and ridiculous expectations at the worst.
To begin with, nothing in that post you quoted from him had anything to do with the sexual nature of the character designs. If you feel more comfortable beating up a strawman, that doesn't help your point.

Second, from what I could tell, he wasn't talking about the gameplay, he was talking about the design of the characters. So again, defending the gameplay is a strawman, considering that wasn't his point of contention.

Perhaps you ought to find people actually making these criticisms if these are the ones you'd like to rebuke.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Genuine question: Why is anime such a derogatory term nowadays? Are people really that shocked that a game that predominantly features characters made in the same country anime originated has a lot of anime-styled characters in it?
When people use anime as a derogatory term, I'm pretty sure they're referring to the trope-filled shounen harem kind.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When people use anime as a derogatory term, I'm pretty sure they're referring to the trope-filled shonen harem anime kind.
Which to be fair, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 takes a stupid number of tropes from. Some of them were done well (the hot springs scene had foreshadowing, a further explanation on how Pyra and Mythra work, and no stupid men accidentally or "accidentally" walk in on the girls scene), others...are Torra.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm pretty satisfied with today's Direct. Granted of course there are some hopes and dreams that probably weren't going to be satisfied at all, like Bayonetta 3 or anything related to Metroid or too much on BotW2. But there was quite a few things that I was pretty pumped for:
+Pyra was a pleasant surprise since I was expecting Rex to be the main fighter, but her being the main fighter AND with Mythra as a transformation/swap out is even cooler. And given that I'm a fan of Xenoblade, this addition is all the more welcome to finally see more representation added to Smash. That said, I do hope that more of the characters in my wishlist still make it, but it's going to be tough competition with only two slots left for DLC unless they announce a third Fighter Pass.
+Famicom Detective Club getting a localisation - YES! I was hoping that would make its way overseas one day, and now it's coming true! Looking forward to that.
+Splatoon 3 holy crap I was NOT expecting a new entry so soon. I was expecting a spin-off of like an open-world adventure or something like "Splatoon: Zero Dawn." I love the look of the new Bow and Arrow weapon type, and I can't wait to see mo- oh wait, I can wait because the game launches next year...
+No More Heroes 3 looks great too, and it launches on my birthday! Even better!
+Tactical RPG from the talent at Octopath Traveller? Sign me up for that, I love me a game that harkens back to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
+Tales from the Borderlands coming to the Switch is nice. Never got around to trying it out, so I might look into that.
+Definitely grabbing a physical copy of Hades for my sister so she can play it on her Switch (since it's not available or translated for Japan)
+Wasn't expecting to be punched in the gut by feeling old from Skyward Sword HD.
+Miitopia coming to Switch is great. Love to see more wackiness. New Mario Golf looks fun too.
-Some cringe-inducing parts such as that EA sport game or the DC comics game.
-Of course there's often expectations set way too high at times

All around, I felt that to be a pretty solid Direct for the first time in well over a year. Now to get back to starting work again.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm hoping for Chun-li if 2B can't get in
I'm thinking she'll be our E3 reveal.

Given Rex wasn't promoted from his Mii costume, I think its fairly certain to say Mii costumes do deconfirm. Lloyd and Monster Hunter at this point are bound to be Miis again.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Nobody told me that the Metal Heads were in this game!
Seriously, WHAT.
Wulfric is one of the better Rare Blades in XB2 and unlike most of them, he is obtained through story progress.
Most Rare Blades are obtained through a gacha system with one of them gaining particular infamy.
A lucky few can obtained outside this Gacha system via side-quests.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pyra and Mythra were revealed today, so will the next reveal be at E3?
Maybe. Maybe not.

Should note whether a coincidence or not. There's been a two month pattern since Steve. That pattern could however very well break.

Steve (October) > Sephiroth (December) > Pyra & Mythra (February)

We could get our next fighter in April then the last one in June at E3.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That one leak got Sephiroth right, but not the Aegis. Old leaks got Hero (Not just Erdrick) and Banjo right, but not Terry and Byleth. Claiming that a characters is coming to Smash and their games are getting ported to the Switch go hand-in-hand. When a rumor is over a year old, it's time to let it go.
While I am not actively supporting said “leak”, it didn’t say Mythra/Pyra wasn’t happening. It straight up didn’t mention them or Min Min.

Absence of a particular character doesn’t mean it’s fake. We’ve seen this before with old leaks like the Brawl roster.

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe. Maybe not.

Should note whether a coincidence or not. There's been a two month pattern since Steve. That pattern could however very well break.

Steve (October) > Sephiroth (December) > Pyra & Mythra (February)

We could get our next fighter in April then the last one in June at E3.
Pyra/Mythra come out in March, and if Amiibo theory has any say, late March.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pyra/Mythra come out in March, and if Amiibo theory has any say, late March.
That's true.

So Maybe the next fighter might even be announced in May with the next amiibos set for June after the ones in March.

That and I was more referring to the characters reveals rather than release.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
No. Though, iirc Jin was designed by Nomura, which explains why he's basically Sephiroth with a tragic backstory. lol
Nomura designed all members of Torna, Malos included. And ackshually Jin is closer to Cloud in both personality and backstory (and also voiced by the same dude)

SKX31

Smash Master
coutnerpoint: Wild Rift literally got announced for Switch today. plus, COVID ****ed up the schedules last year BIG TIME, so...
Wait what.

How the hell did I miss that!? Granted, I got out of work late, but...

Links, please.
I'm not seeing anything just yet. Granted, Ruined King is the one hard-confirmed, and Wild Rift looks likely anyhow.

...Anyhow, the fact that both Wild Rift and Pokemon Unite likely came into being as an indirect result of this chain of events:

1. Tencent asked Riot to make a mobile LoL back in 2015.
  2. Riot said no.
  3. Tencent went ahead themselves and created Honor of Kings / Arena of Valor outside of China.
  4. HoK / AoV becomes major successes in China / SEA, but by and large bomb in the West.
  5. Tencent gets Superman and Batman into AoV and ports it into the Switch by 2017... which still bombs to the point AoV's Switch servers were shut down.
Is just... wow.

No. Though, iirc Jin was designed by Nomura, which explains why he's basically Sephiroth with a tragic backstory. lol
I just looked up who Jin is.

Oh god I could taste the Nomura edge just by seeing his profile pic alone.

Pillow

Smash Lord
individual design complaints from this forum being prude and averse to ANYTHING sexual are nothing new. gameplay complaints on a character with 2 forms and one being speed and one being power when that is 100 percent different from the rest of the roster is picky at best and ridiculous expectations at the worst.
Ummm...that's nice?

When people use anime as a derogatory term, I'm pretty sure they're referring to the trope-filled shounen harem kind.
People like to be condescending and use it as an insult, but "anime" is also a very legitimate way to describe a certain artstyle - one very prominent in Japanese media like games. No disrespect intended, Xenoblade is about as anime as a game can look.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While I am not actively supporting said “leak”, it didn’t say Mythra/Pyra wasn’t happening. It straight up didn’t mention them or Min Min.

Absence of a particular character doesn’t mean it’s fake. We’ve seen this before with old leaks like the Brawl roster.
Those were examples of rumors that got some things right, but failed in other parts. Should've elaborated on them.
Crei-Mos correctly guessed Sephiroth, but it was wrong about Pyra and Mythra, and therefore fake. The Hero/Banjo one was one I remembered from the wiki's list of rumors, which correctly predicted the title Hero and the exact alts, alongside Banjo. However, it also predicted Doomguy and Monster Hunter, both of which were proven false by the following fighters (No, Byleth doesn't count for the latter).
The point was to prove that just because a rumor gets some things right doesn't mean it will be entirely correct. That being said, I'll take the blame on this one. I left out key parts in my argument, and it's a lot weaker because of it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
People like to be condescending and use it as an insult, but "anime" is also a very legitimate way to describe a certain artstyle - one very prominent in Japanese media like games. No disrespect intended, Xenoblade is about as anime as a game can look.
The only way you can get more anime is by being ArcSystem Works.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Like most mediums, Anime tends to have a majority of garbage. but every now and then, a Mushi Shi is released, and the medium is justified in its existence.
That and big giant anime ******* are awesome and people just hating.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like most mediums, Anime tends to have a majority of garbage. but every now and then, a Blood + is released, and the medium is justified in its existence.
That and big giant anime ******* are awesome and people just hating.
Fixed. :4pacman:

EDIT: Seriously though. Blood + is goooood. Just uh...Ignore literally every other part of the series because Blood: The Last Vampire doesn't really accomplish much (though the christian lady is unintentionally hilarious, so I guess you could watch it for her), and Blood C is...don't watch Blood C.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Maybe we could assume some leaks have partial information right but in order to feel more "grand" they pad it with bs so it gets trending and gains traction. Or maybe i'm overthinking it.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
People tell me that Smash always ends on disappointing reveals. I don't buy into that idea, but if you do that means only one more character spot left to be excited for. It feels like the 2nd pass has flown by after the long wait at the start.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So THAT'S what she was referring to haha, it was right in front of our eyes the whole time. Interesting how voices were recorded that far back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom