• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
my current prediction is we get a general direct with a smash reveal in march tbh

followed by a sakurai presents of course
I'm doubtful Directs are even still a thing, honestly. The Twitter shadow drop gig is working out pretty swell for them and probably costs next to nothing to do that way, so I imagine they want to steer away from Directs now. Plus, everyone and their brother is doing "Directs" now, so Nintendo won't want to do them because the have an obsession with being "different". :p

I just don’t know how you guys all keep going with this. There’s hardly anything to talk about.
For real, I bounce from this thread pretty much a day or two after a reveal and just mostly chill in the Social Thread until the next character.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So if that Tales of Chun-Li leak does come true, how many of you would be ok with that timeline?

I would be ok with it myself. While I would be disappointed that Street Fighter got 3 reps before Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, DMC, or Resident Evil got any playable characters, Chun-Li would be a solid choice for reasons that have been stated many times. Plus I do dig Street Fighter Alpha's soundtrack so hopefully in this timeline we would get some music from there. I also have been preparing myself for a Tales Of rep since I see that as the most likely Bamco series. I would be fine with Lloyd or Yuri, even if my only experience with the series is a little bit of Tales of Vesperia.
I'd be pretty neutral all things considered

I really like Chun-li, but not enough to want to spend 6 bucks on her

I'm not huge on the Tales of series, I enjoyed Symphonia and Vesperia, but they are not my favorites, solid B tier games on my ranking, Abyss was my favorite but that has a low chance of getting repped so eh. When it comes to Lloyd or Yuri, I like them about equally, I like Yuri's design more while I think Lloyd would have the more interesting gameplay.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My brother’s most wanted characters for years are Rash, Pimple, and Zitz (The Battletoads). Years ago I thought this would be impossible but with the inclusion of Banjo in Ultimate and their mini resurgence in their cameos in Shovel Knight, Killer Instinct and even a new game give me some hope. I always loved RARE and they have a lot of history with Nintendo. To my knowledge, the Battletoads were RARE’s first major breakout hit. We could always use another NES rep and I feel they are towards the top of that list after Ninja Gaiden and Contra. Does anybody think they have any chance?

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
So if that Tales of Chun-Li leak does come true, how many of you would be ok with that timeline?

I would be ok with it myself. While I would be disappointed that Street Fighter got 3 reps before Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, DMC, or Resident Evil got any playable characters, Chun-Li would be a solid choice for reasons that have been stated many times. Plus I do dig Street Fighter Alpha's soundtrack so hopefully in this timeline we would get some music from there. I also have been preparing myself for a Tales Of rep since I see that as the most likely Bamco series. I would be fine with Lloyd or Yuri, even if my only experience with the series is a little bit of Tales of Vesperia.
While I admit that Chun-Li is probably a good pick from an objective point of view, she is just not interesting to me at all (unless they use her Power Ranger form, but that's NEVER happening).
Tales would at least be interesting for being a new franchise to Smash (the Lloyd Mii costume notwithstanding).

Otoad64

Smash Lord
My brother’s most wanted characters for years are Rash, Pimple, and Zitz (The Battletoads). Years ago I thought this would be impossible but with the inclusion of Banjo in Ultimate and their mini resurgence in their cameos in Shovel Knight, Killer Instinct and even a new game give me some hope. I always loved RARE and they have a lot of history with Nintendo. To my knowledge, the Battletoads were their first major breakout hit. We could always use another NES rep and I feel they are towards the top of that list after Ninja Gaiden and Contra. Does anybody think they have any chance?
I feel like if they do another MS character it would be the Chief, but I could see them happening

Pillow

Smash Lord

I'd be so-so. I don't particularly want to see any of these characters, but I'm generally happy with most potential characters (and already bought the full pass). Between Yuri and Lloyd, I prefer Yuri. Chun-Li is cool, and deserves to be in Smash, but I haven't really enjoyed the way the SF characters played so far.

My brother’s most wanted characters for years are Rash, Pimple, and Zitz (The Battletoads). Years ago I thought this would be impossible but with the inclusion of Banjo in Ultimate and their mini resurgence in their cameos in Shovel Knight, Killer Instinct and even a new game give me some hope. I always loved RARE and they have a lot of history with Nintendo. To my knowledge, the Battletoads were the company’s first major breakout hit. We could always use another NES rep and I feel they are towards the top of that list after Ninja Gaiden and Contra. Does anybody think they have any chance?
There's always a chance, but for this instance I'd say it's very low.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
"SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + FURY WORLD" is on sale today. Congrats!!

"Super Mario 3D World + Fury World" released today!
#Super Mario 3D World, where up to four people run to the goal, and #Fury World, where Mario and Bowser Jr. team up to challenge the giant Bowser.
Enjoy two adventures.
#Smash Bros. SP #Smash Bros.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My brother’s most wanted characters for years are Rash, Pimple, and Zitz (The Battletoads). Years ago I thought this would be impossible but with the inclusion of Banjo in Ultimate and their mini resurgence in their cameos in Shovel Knight, Killer Instinct and even a new game give me some hope. I always loved RARE and they have a lot of history with Nintendo. To my knowledge, the Battletoads were RARE’s first major breakout hit. We could always use another NES rep and I feel they are towards the top of that list after Ninja Gaiden and Contra. Does anybody think they have any chance?
Assuming Microsoft is still open to more fighters, I could see them at some point. From what I can gather, Battletoads was pretty big back in the day, and Microsoft is still doing stuff with them. Not sure if we'll get two MS reps in the same pass, though, especially seeing as they slipped Banjo into the negotiations while Steve's were still going on.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
"SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + FURY WORLD" is on sale today. Congrats!!

Stupid question probably but how’d he get those cat costumes???

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's sad that the Battletoads have such a low chance of getting into smash considering their moveset and animations would most likely be fantastic.
Yeah, I think they are a perfect fit for Smash. They have a really unique and classic look and their moves are so flashy and cool. I hope Sakurai would go with their Battlemaniacs (SNES) design instead of the reboot. Battletoads also has amazing music from David Wise, the same composer for the DKC series.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think they are a perfect fit for Smash. They have a really unique and classic look and their moves are so flashy and cool. I hope Sakurai would go with their Battlemaniacs (SNES) design instead of the reboot. Battletoads also has amazing music from David Wise, the same composer for the DKC series.
Sadly, there's no end to well-designed characters who fit into Smash perfectly. Pretty much any Indie game main character fits this description, as do most JRPG characters, and most cartoony platformer mascots. Smash is that sort of game. At this point it's harder to envision a character that doesn't fit into a game where we can see Pacman beat up Solid Snake in Minecraft. 3rd party character in Smash have always been from relevant popular franchises (Joker, Bayonetta) or have extremely strong legacies (everyone else). Battletoads could technically slot into the 2nd category, but they're quite far down the line of both NES and Microsoft characters.

We won't see them before Master Chief or Ryu Hayabusa, but if we were getting like 20 more characters following the end of Pass 2, then sure.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Think about the fact that, all other points aside for a minute, you believe, when granted the time and resources to add an original SF character, you believe, despite characters like Chun-Li at his disposal, Sakurai is instead going to opt to add a third shoto.

I think if you really see this as the likelier option, it's either because you've dug in your heels, or because you don't get how much bigger Chun-Li is than all remaining characters within the series.
Since the Chun Talk was starting again, I actually never got to respond to this, But I would like to give some counter arguments

I agree Chun-Li is probably bigger than all the remaining characters, but I disagree that it's by so much that she could be the only option, perhaps the more likely option, but not the only one

Characters like Guile, M.Bison, and Akuma don't have to be Downplayed to make Chun-Li look so much better. Chun-Li already has the merits. Guile, M.Bsion, and Akuma are famous/Infamous character for a variety of reasons, and I think they have enough merits to at least be considered for a Fighter spot. It seems Guile was already considered, considering he's an Assist Trophy. Now I do think Perhaps Chun-Li could have been the priority, but that doesn't mean she would automatically get the Fighter spot

Now with regards to why Akuma would ever be chosen instead of Chun-Li, considering he's another Shoto, there are some things to keep in Mind

-Akuma uses a Deadlier version of the Shoto Fighting style, and this is reflected in his Normal Attacks, plus some of the properties of his Specials
-Akuma is a boss character, and this could allow some interesting ideas or concepts to either be implemented, or new takes on the idea put in. We could see stuff like Akuma using super moves like Raging demon, or Super versions of the Hadoken, Tatsumaki, and Shoryuken without Final Smash. We could also see stuff like him being able to Transform (perhaps at will) into higher levels of power permenantly (no time Limit), or even him having better version of Universal mechanics (like his Teleport move being his dodge that has better properties than regular dodges)

Yes Akuma still does share Similarities with Ryu and Ken, but he has enough interesting idea I think that there is something there that would appeal to people looking at the DLC. I do acknowledge though that Chun-Li does have different form of Martial arts from the shotos.

I will also like to mention that one of the Chun-Li rumors was that apparently she was scrapped for "Moveset reasons". Now whether that is real or not, or if it was real, if it could be worked on some more so whatever problems are fixed, it shows that each character has their own Moveset conceptions, Merits, and different things that need to be tackled to be realized in Smash, even within the Same series.

So Ultimately, I actually do agree with Chun-Li being the more likely option on the surface for 3rd Street Fighter character just based of merits and such, but I'm not gonna count out some of the other characters

Reactions: cj.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Here’s a game for you; think of a stage that you could see as a standalone DLC, without a fighter in sight. I’d personally love to see a stage based off of You Don’t Know Jack. It could function a bit like this;
  1. Questions appear in the background while answers show up in the form of 4 platforms
  2. Players jump onto the platform displaying the answer they think is right
  3. If a player is right, they are healed depending on the time it took for them to answer, as well as receiving a status buff. If they get it wrong, they take roughly the same amount of damaged, while being crippled by negative status effects. Staying on the ground will do nothing.
Now let’s see you guys do it!
I would like to see a Civilization stage. I imagine it would play something like this: It starts off with two civilizations on each side of the screen. They start out as tribes throwing spears and other stuff at each other. Eventually they will obtain more advanced weapons and guns. Meanwhile, the Smash characters are in the crossfire and there are other battles going on in the background. Overall I think it would be a pretty cool stage.

I think they have a small chance. Battletoads is a classic game and the Battletoads still appear in games like Killer Instinct as a guest character. But with Steve in this pass, plus Master Chief being a factor, I don't think they will happen this game. But I do think they would be cool.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While we're talking about Battletoads, what can they bring? Do they have any exclusive powers, or would it be plausible for the three to share their moves like Simon and Richter? What stage would they have, what songs would they bring, who would be their Legend Spirit, etc.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
While we're talking about Battletoads, what can they bring? Do they have any exclusive powers, or would it be plausible for the three to share their moves like Simon and Richter? What stage would they have, what songs would they bring, who would be their Legend Spirit, etc.
All three Toads are pretty similar in moveset and so could theoretically share a spot. Stage would have to be Turbo Tunnel because of its difficulty amongst gamers back in the day (or another stage from the NES game, but at the very least the Turbo Bike has to be a move, or a spirit), songs would be taken from the NES, Game Boy, SNES, and Xbox One titles, and the Legend Spirit would be the Dark Queen, the main antagonist of the series.

Note: I've only played the Original Battletoads and Battletoads Arcade along with Rash in Killer Instinct so someone else could probably answer this better.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Since the Chun Talk was starting again, I actually never got to respond to this, But I would like to give some counter arguments

I agree Chun-Li is probably bigger than all the remaining characters, but I disagree that it's by so much that she could be the only option, perhaps the more likely option, but not the only one

Characters like Guile, M.Bison, and Akuma don't have to be Downplayed to make Chun-Li look so much better. Chun-Li already has the merits. Guile, M.Bsion, and Akuma are famous/Infamous character for a variety of reasons, and I think they have enough merits to at least be considered for a Fighter spot. It seems Guile was already considered, considering he's an Assist Trophy. Now I do think Perhaps Chun-Li could have been the priority, but that doesn't mean she would automatically get the Fighter spot

Now with regards to why Akuma would ever be chosen instead of Chun-Li, considering he's another Shoto, there are some things to keep in Mind

-Akuma uses a Deadlier version of the Shoto Fighting style, and this is reflected in his Normal Attacks, plus some of the properties of his Specials
-Akuma is a boss character, and this could allow some interesting ideas or concepts to either be implemented, or new takes on the idea put in. We could see stuff like Akuma using super moves like Raging demon, or Super versions of the Hadoken, Tatsumaki, and Shoryuken without Final Smash. We could also see stuff like him being able to Transform (perhaps at will) into higher levels of power permenantly (no time Limit), or even him having better version of Universal mechanics (like his Teleport move being his dodge that has better properties than regular dodges)

Yes Akuma still does share Similarities with Ryu and Ken, but he has enough interesting idea I think that there is something there that would appeal to people looking at the DLC. I do acknowledge though that Chun-Li does have different form of Martial arts from the shotos.

I will also like to mention that one of the Chun-Li rumors was that apparently she was scrapped for "Moveset reasons". Now whether that is real or not, or if it was real, if it could be worked on some more so whatever problems are fixed, it shows that each character has their own Moveset conceptions, Merits, and different things that need to be tackled to be realized in Smash, even within the Same series.

So Ultimately, I actually do agree with Chun-Li being the more likely option on the surface for 3rd Street Fighter character just based of merits and such, but I'm not gonna count out some of the other characters
You're grasping at straws to justify why a character could maybe, possibly be chosen over Chun-Li when it's simple.
Chun-Li eclipses all those characters you've mentioned and more.

It doesn't matter how much you type because it's all miniscule in the face of the fact Chun-Li is Ms. Street Fighter, Ms. Fighting games, and arguably Ms. Video-games.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In most games, the Toads are different sizes and had unique moves so you would have to make some compromises to make them alt outfits but I think it would work. They were just palate swaps in the original game and in Battletoads & Double Dragon. Their main gimmick is that they can transform their limbs to do various attacks. The game also had wildly different gameplay for each level so they could incorporate things like their hoverboard and speeder bike into their moveset. I think Turbo Tunnel is a great choice for a stage but Khaos Mountains from Battlemaniacs is also a good option. I think their moveset could be very similar to Rash in Killer Instinct. Most his moves in that game came from the original Battletoads where the Toads were the same.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Question time: What would you say is your "speculation style?" What do you look for in someone when making your predictions?

For me:
  • Bias - Yeah, gonna be honest here. I mainly focus on characters I'm actually interested in. Probably not going to be very accurate, but ah well. Not like we'd be very accurate anyways.
  • Underdogs - Going off of the above, I tend to lean towards characters that have things going against them rather than any of the obvious/safe picks. All the DLC so far has had stuff going against them and very little were widely predicted because of that, so I'm a bit hesitant to go with really popular predictions.
  • Breaking Precedent - Smash tends to break one pattern that it's held, then move on and break another one. Maybe not the most accurate of theories, but I tend to look for major precedent that hasn't been broken yet, rather than continuing any patterns. Goes hand-in-hand with the above point.
  • Entire Pack - When predicting more content, I tend to look for the entire pack rather than just the fighter. It's not just "(X) joins the battle," it's "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x (X)." Might be a bit of a divisive opinion, but I feel that the packs are a crossover with the series and not just the character, and they are decided by that as well.
  • No Rumors - If they're not from a credible source, I don't care. We've had loads of leaks that get things right, only to turn up wrong in the end. Credible sources only leak the fighter at the last minute. To think that any of the anonymous months-old 4chan leaks could know that in advance, even if they're just one fighter and not the entire pass, is extremely unrealistic.

I usually make predictions based off of theses factors:

(I’m going to admit that I copied your post and changed it to fit my criteria since they’re similar sorry)
  • Marketing - This is DLC. It has to sell. No further explanation needed. This includes Appeal, meaning that if two characters have similar appeal, and one got in, I usually disqualify them for Marketing Reasons.
  • Underdogs - Going off of the above, I tend to lean towards characters that have things going against them rather than any of the obvious/safe picks. All the DLC so far has had stuff going against them and very little were widely predicted because of that, so I'm a bit hesitant to go with really popular predictions.
  • Expect The Worst - Think about where we are in the Pass. We’re in the Second Half, the Half with less exciting reveals by a Precedent that has yet to be Broken. Yeah, Sakurai hates leaks, and Nintendo knows that leaks are Bad PR, so they tend to avoid putting more Hype Characters in the Back Ends of Development Cycles specifically BECAUSE of Leaks. If Crash happens, I’m all for it, but it would’ve 100% leaked by now if he were next.
  • Entire Pack - When predicting more content, I tend to look for the entire pack rather than just the fighter. It's not just "(X) joins the battle," it's "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x (X)." Might be a bit of a divisive opinion, but I feel that the packs are a crossover with the series and not just the character, and they are decided by that as well. Yeah, this is why I’m not expecting Chun-Li or Eggman
  • No Rumors - If they're not from a credible source, I don't care. We've had loads of leaks that get things right, only to turn up wrong in the end. Credible sources only leak the fighter at the last minute. To think that any of the anonymous months-old 4chan leaks could know that in advance, even if they're just one fighter and not the entire pass, is extremely unrealistic.
  • There’s only one Third Party left, and it’s probably Hayabusa - Imagine having everything going for you. Yeah that’s Ryu Hayabusa’s Position lol.
  • Our last Fighter is probably a disappointment so rip - Self Explanatory.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Though most can agree that Master Chief seems the most likeliest, Battletoads would be a great inclusion, Rash worked great in Killer Instinct, He would be great in Smash.

Jab could be the multiple hit Giant Fist finisher, Their exaggerated Smash attacks would be the Big Boot, Axe , Anvil etc, Tongues can work as grabs/Tethers, Speederbike as a side special and their facial expressions from when they face bosses too.

Even the little things like their entrance being coming down a rope from the Vulture spaceship and using the Battletoads logo as their Smash HUD logo can work.

It's sad to think "What could have been" had Nintendo and Rare actually stayed together, They could have pulled a lot of potential fighters from their stable of franchises outside of just having Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I usually make predictions based off of theses factors:

(I’m going to admit that I copied your post and changed it to fit my criteria since they’re similar sorry)
  • Marketing - This is DLC. It has to sell. No further explanation needed. This includes Appeal, meaning that if two characters have similar appeal, and one got in, I usually disqualify them for Marketing Reasons.
  • Expect The Worst - Think about where we are in the Pass. We’re in the Second Half, the Half with less exciting reveals by a Precedent that has yet to be Broken. Yeah, Sakurai hates leaks, and Nintendo knows that leaks are Bad PR, so they tend to avoid putting more Hype Characters in the Back Ends of Development Cycles specifically BECAUSE of Leaks. If Crash happens, I’m all for it, but it would’ve 100% leaked by now if he were next.
  • Entire Pack - When predicting more content, I tend to look for the entire pack rather than just the fighter. It's not just "(X) joins the battle," it's "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x (X)." Might be a bit of a divisive opinion, but I feel that the packs are a crossover with the series and not just the character, and they are decided by that as well. Yeah, this is why I’m not expecting Chun-Li or Eggman
  • There’s only one Third Party left, and it’s probably Hayabusa - Imagine having everything going for you. Yeah that’s Ryu Hayabusa’s Position lol.
  • Our last Fighter is probably a disappointment so rip - Self Explanatory.
I don't disagree that there could very well be a Nintendo character closing out the pass, but I think there's at least 2 3rd parties left, personally. Open and close with a Nintendo rep seems like a very Nintendo thing to do, with the 4 in the middle being all 3rd party.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You're grasping at straws to justify why a character could maybe, possibly be chosen over Chun-Li when it's simple.
Chun-Li eclipses all those characters you've mentioned and more.

It doesn't matter how much you type because it's all miniscule in the face of the fact Chun-Li is Ms. Street Fighter, Ms. Fighting games, and arguably Ms. Video-games.
Which yes, Chun-Li has all those potental titles, but that doesn't mean Chun-Li is the only option

I mean people say M.Bison is one of the Most Iconic video game villains of all time, and definitely among the Most Iconic villain in Street Fighter and Fighting games in general (along with Akuma, even if not a Villain). Those are also all Important, isn't that right. All of those can't be discounted

I'm just trying to say that Chun-Li isn't so above the other characters that she would definitly be the 3rd Street Fighter character, but I do agree on the surface, she is the most likely

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't disagree that there could very well be a Nintendo character closing out the pass, but I think there's at least 2 3rd parties left, personally. Open and close with a Nintendo rep seems like a very Nintendo thing to do, with the 4 in the middle being all 3rd party.
Yeah, after Min Min going First despite Byleth being the Last Character before her and essentially killing all 2020 Smash Hype, especially considering 2020 was a year, regardless of Covid, that 100% needed some decent Smash Hype considering Nintendo’s plans? Yeah, the message is clear that it’s probably 3 to 3 if they’re willing to put ****ing Min Min first.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm just trying to say that Chun-Li isn't so above the other characters that she would definitly be the 3rd Street Fighter character,
Dude, she really really is, for every reason people have already told you countless times over. She'd probably be the second if Ken wasn't such an easy character to implement.

No other additional character, not just from Street Fighter but ANY series currently represented in Smash, is as synonymous with their series' brand and generally iconic on a worldwide scale as Chun-Li and not in the game yet. She is at worst a clear second place behind the main protagonist (Ryu) and at best literally on par with Ryu and equally the series' face. This is a situation extremely unique to Chun-Li that applies to literally no other character being discussed right now as supplement for any series in Smash.

She is so far ahead of everyone else that it isn't even funny. I'm not sure what you're not understanding about it, at this point.

I'm all for people keeping their options open and not making assumptions. This however is a very very easy and safe assumption to make. If we don't get Chun-Li as DLC we're not getting another Street Fighter character until we do.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, after Min Min going First despite Byleth being the Last Character before her and essentially killing all 2020 Smash Hype, especially considering 2020 was a year, regardless of Covid, that 100% needed some decent Smash Hype considering Nintendo’s plans? Yeah, the message is clear that it’s probably 3 to 3 if they’re willing to put ****ing Min Min first.
That.... is more or less just your own feelings tbh.

Steve and Sephiroth were extremely hype characters, and regardless of what we feel about MinMin, her trailer has over a million views, a feat which not that many pass characters even have last I checked.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We can't really say "XYZ aren't happening because they would have leaked by now" when we know Nintendo have been clamping down on these sorts of leaks.

It's telling that Min Min was leaked in a roundabout way, Steve was implicitly leaked 15 minutes before his trailer and Sephiroth wasn't mentioned outside of a chan list that we can't really say is a leak unless it gets all three of the next characters right.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm doubtful Directs are even still a thing, honestly. The Twitter shadow drop gig is working out pretty swell for them
How exactly are you measuring that? Is there an increase in numbers? Little decrease? How do you know that Directs wouldn't be generating more hype and interest?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
How exactly are you measuring that?
2020 being one of their most profitable years?

Like, we (probably) all love Directs, but if I were a big Nintendo CEO, I'd look at 2020's earnings and realize that Directs are kinda a waste of money to pump into when just dropping **** on Twitter out of the blue generates just as much buzz.

I want Directs to return like, real bad, they were something to look forward to.

But at the same time, why pump god knows how much money in glorified commercials when you can drop "Mario takes a piss 64" on Twitter and get the internet exploding. They already know their **** will sell regardless of anything that they do.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I would be super OK with it, because Tales is one of my favorite series and Chun is one of my most wanted.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Min Min comes from a series that features characters with a really weird ability that's never been remotely close to being repped in Smash before, so... I don't know.

I can totally understand why Min Min or just about any character from ARMS wouldn't be exciting to some people, but I don't think she was a bad choice TBH, at least from a gameplay perspective. An ARMS character was one of the better first-party choices.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Min Min comes from a series that features characters with a really weird ability that's never been remotely close to being repped in Smash before, so... I don't know.

I can totally understand why Min Min or just about any character from ARMS wouldn't be exciting to some people, but I don't think she was a bad choice TBH, at least from a gameplay perspective. An ARMS character was one of the better first-party choices.
I don't think MinMin's a bad choice at all.

I think people would have been more accepting if she were base game, but she's not a bad choice. Is she "hype", well, no, not really, but if the trailer numbers are anything to go by, if nothing else, she probably resonated well with the more casual audience.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not really. If it says anything it's that they were either confident in Min Min as a crowd pleaser (ARMS may have been a flash in the pan but it did sell well) or they really just don't care (which Byleth's existence kinda points to). There's also the possibility that Steve was meant to be revealed alongside her, which creates ambiguity to even that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think MinMin's a bad choice at all.

I think people would have been more accepting if she were base game, but she's not a bad choice. Is she "hype", well, no, not really, but if the trailer numbers are anything to go by, if nothing else, she probably resonated well with the more casual audience.
Not really. If it says anything it's that they were either confident in Min Min as a crowd pleaser (ARMS may have been a flash in the pan but it did sell well) or they really just don't care (which Byleth's existence kinda points to). There's also the possibility that Steve was meant to be revealed alongside her, which creates ambiguity to even that.
Something I'd like to point out is that the guessing game made sure that Nintendo got the most hype they could out of it. If they had just dropped Min Min out of the blue, I'd imagine there would be a bit more confusion and disappointment. Since they did the guessing game, everyone got their gripes out ahead of time and adjusted their expectation accordingly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Something I'd like to point out is that the guessing game made sure that Nintendo got the most hype they could out of it. If they had just dropped Min Min out of the blue, I'd imagine there would be a bit more confusion and disappointment. Since they did the guessing game, everyone got their gripes out ahead of time and adjusted their expectation accordingly.
I cannot disagree harder, by just dropping Min Min like every other character, people would go "Oh **** an ARMS character, oh ****, it's not Spring Man!" Without getting tired of talking about ARMS for 3 months straight when Min Min was seen as top 3 most likely candidates after what, 2 days? **** got boring REAL fast and I swear this was a deliberate choice to coincide with the free trial as no other character has done this guessing game bull**** nor does anyone want it for other characters. We have people express fatigue of talking about specific characters after a few years or months but none of those characters can even begin to compare to a franchise where every fighter has the same basic moveset being hyperfocused for a quarter of a ****ing year

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I cannot disagree harder, by just dropping Min Min like every other character, people would go "Oh ** an ARMS character, oh **, it's not Spring Man!" Without getting tired of talking about ARMS for 3 months straight when Min Min was seen as top 3 most likely candidates after what, 2 days? ** got boring REAL fast and I swear this was a deliberate choice to coincide with the free trial as no other character has done this guessing game bull** nor does anyone want it for other characters. We have people express fatigue of talking about specific characters after a few years or months but none of those characters can even begin to compare to a franchise where every fighter has the same basic moveset being hyperfocused for a quarter of a ****ing year
I was referring more to the general fanbase, who aren't regularly debating and speculating. For forums that are debating this stuff just about every day, perhaps not the best idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom