• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
That demand only really surged and started kicking after the release of the N. Sane Trilogy which was 2017 not to say he wasn't heavily requested before but probably nowhere to the likes of Banjo, King K. Rool, and Ridley especially being they've been demanded for longer Banjo and Ridley for two decades and King K. Rool at least one. Smash Ultimate had been in development since 2015.

You may point out to Steve being negotiated for 5 years but this had mostly to due to Nintendo's and Microsoft's close relationship.

Because of this I kinda also feel its too late for him and he has a better shot for Smash 6.
1. I did not say Crash had a lot of demand before the N. Sane trilogy.

2. I don't see how Ultimate's base game development has anything to do with their selection with Fighter Pass 2. Again Crash had about two and a half years to gain traction before the fighters for this pass were decided. Meanwhile, he broke out into the mainstream. I'm not saying he had the same amount of fan demand for years upon years, but I think there is an argument to be made that there is a good chance that Crash did buildup enough traction before the fighters were decided for him to be a candidate. Not to mention when the N. Sane trilogy's Switch port was announced, Nintendo acknowledged Crash as a gaming icon.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
This probably has been discussed a lot before, but I'm curious. Who is the most obscure/least discussed character that you want? In other words, who is your pipe dream want?

For me, it's my man Crypto.

Destroy All Humans! - How to Change Skin

He can summon meteors, throw people around with psychokinesis, has a weapon that is effectively a grenade launcher that ionizes humans and blows stuff up, he can summon an underground beast and a venus human trap, has a gun that shoots rainbows balls that pick people and objects up and bounces them around the place while dealing damage, and can combine objects into a ball and throw it.

Oh yeah, he also has a flying saucer of death and sounds like Jack Nicholson. What's not to love?
Probably Raziel from Legacy of Kain or Plok from Plok.

One looks really cool. And one's got some great music. Granted neither are anywhere near the top of my wanted characters or anything, just some examples of obscure characters I like.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The biggest hurdle to me would be Kirby's ability to fly indefinitely,
To be fair, Kirby's flight actually has been limited in a couple games. Most are spinoffs like Team Kirby Clash and Kirby Air Ride, but it was also limited in Kirby 64-Which, funnily enough, is the closest we've gotten to a true 3D Kirby game, so I guess It all works out.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So there's something I want to discuss

Annie's gameplay revealed in new Skullgirls: 2nd Encore trailer, more DLC on the way (eventhubs.com)

So Skullgirls is getting New DLC Characters in 2021. I believe the last DLC Character before her came out around 2016, so this is a 5 year gap between DLC Character release

To be fair, There was the Mobile game, and some upgraded ports of Skullgirls that came with some extra content like Story mode I believe, but that's not the point

When Sakurai said that Continuous development from Smash 4 (since they went from Smash 4 straight into Ultimate) will be over after FP2, is it possible that they could have some down time, but then come back to Ultimate to add onto the game down the road, perhaps especially when the New Switch revision comes out?

I'm certain they are already discussing or negotiating with Companies for Future Smash endeavors, I'm just not sure if it be extra content to Ultimate down the line, Upgraded port, or it's talk for New Smash game

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
An artist I follow made a pretty good point, I don't know why they made Air man the focus of a "OMG this Robot Master is so hard" song when Quick Man was right there.
Probably because of the song, and the memes worked with Air Man's cannon personality perfectly so it's referenced in the comics too (though the song may not have come first).

Really Wood Man, Quick Man, and Air Man are all ridiculous without their weakness or a ton of experience, but Quick Man's weakness is easy to get, and Air Man, Wood Man, and Heat Man form this triangle of terribleness with newer players needing Atomic Fire to beat Wood Man, Leaf Shield to beat Air Man, and Item 2 to beat Heat Man's stage.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nintendo acknowledged Crash as a gaming icon.
So where's the demand for Lara Croft then? She's a gaming icon too. Also big in the 90s as Crash was. Known for being the female video game protagonist and among most iconic female video game characters with Samus, Chun-Li, and Tifa.

Given that too, you'd think she'd be a lot more popularly requested...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When Sakurai said that Continuous development from Smash 4 (since they went from Smash 4 straight into Ultimate) will be over after FP2, is it possible that they could have some down time, but then come back to Ultimate to add onto the game down the road, perhaps especially when the New Switch revision comes out?
Not likely. This kind of thing doesn't usually happen, and it wouldn't really pay off for most things either. Super Smash Bros. could do it no problem, but I highly doubt it's something Nintendo would go for.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
*****, she got her own (very high quality) Hollywood movie!
So high quality that it doesn't even have memorable lines from its version of M. Bison, in fact.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I find it unfathoming that a side character from a nearly 25-year game had more support and demand than her as well as a poorly written gary-stu character from glorified Disney/Final Fantasy crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game than THE female video game protagonist alongside Samus.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I find it fathoming that a side character from a nearly 25-year game had more support and demand than her as well as a gary-stu character from glorified Disney/Final Fantasy crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game than THE female video game protagonist alongside Samus.
If you're talking about Geno, remember that Brawl speculation was a time where people didn't have standards higher than everyone at Woodstock combined.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find it fathoming that a side character from a nearly 25 year game had more support then her as well as a gary-stu character from glorified Disney/Final Fantasy crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game than THE female video game protagonist alongside Samus.
It's no more unfathomable (the word I'm guessing you meant) than the highest-ranking third-party having a disparity of 160 votes from the most-wanted character in the Melee poll. Before a precedent establishes itself in Smash, it's understandable why it wouldn't receive as much attention.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You're looking for rationality in people's favorites and that's not always how it works.

I mean Double Dragon had more games, a TV show, and a movie (not all of them great mind you) and I still think on average people would be more excited for Streets of Rage characters than Billy or Jimmy.

Its just how it is sometimes.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I find it fathoming that a side character from a nearly 25-year game had more support and demand than her as well as a poorly written gary-stu character from glorified Disney/Final Fantasy crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game than THE female video game protagonist alongside Samus.
If you're talking about Geno, remember that Brawl speculation was a time where people didn't have standards higher than everyone at Woodstock combined.
Alright, Imma have to stop you two there. Geno and Sora are cool characters from cool games that people like. That's all you need to gain support. There's no reason for you to dis them because they're not one of the cultural touchstones of gaming.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I find it fathoming that a side character from a nearly 25-year game had more support and demand than her as well as a gary-stu character from glorified Disney/Final Fantasy crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game than THE female video game protagonist alongside Samus.
Don't forget that a Android woman from a game just released 3-4 years ago also has more Support than Lara too

I think when it comes to Iconic status vs Popularity, I think Lara vs these 3 characters is the Ultimate example

Lara is a More Iconic character than Sora, 2B, and Especially Geno, but I think Sora, 2B, and Geno are more popular characters when it comes to Smash and perhaps to the Nintendo audience, and in Sora and 2B's case, perhaps to the general gaming landscape

Though I think 2B is weird in this regard since she hasn't made any apperance on Nintendo at all.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's no more unfathomable (the word I'm guessing you meant)
Yeah, that's the word I meant, thanks for the correction there.

Still, my point is Geno was nothing more but a side character from a game from 25 years ago and since hasn't appeared. Don't get what that's got on one of female's most iconic game protagonists.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Still, my point is Geno was nothing more but a side character from a game from 25 years ago and since hasn't appeared. Don't get what that's got on one of female's most iconic game protagonists.
Circumstance.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Alright, Imma have to stop you two there. Geno and Sora are cool characters from cool games that people like. That's all you need to gain support. There's no reason for you to dis them because they're not one of the cultural touchstones of gaming.
I admit Geno does have a cool design. Can't say the same for Sora, he looks too dorky for my taste, and his whole personality there to boot especially the whole "Friendship is my power!" especially when the series he comes from is basically just Final Fantasy combined with re-tellings of Disney stories which isn't that original to begin with...

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
That demand only really surged and started kicking after the release of the N. Sane Trilogy which was 2017 not to say he wasn't heavily requested before but probably nowhere to the likes of Banjo, King K. Rool, and Ridley especially being they've been demanded for longer Banjo and Ridley for two decades and King K. Rool at least one. Smash Ultimate had been in development since 2015.

You may point out to Steve being negotiated for 5 years but this had mostly to due to Nintendo's and Microsoft's close relationship.

Because of this I kinda also feel its too late for him and he has a better shot for Smash 6.
If he's late for Ultimate DLC then like 70-80% of the characters we have discussed while speculating are also late to the party because their fan support started to be notorious in the recent years. So that's not exclusive of Crash Bandicoot.

Actually, Crash is one of those characters I'm confident Nintendo would pick regardless of him having significant fan demand or not, thanks to the character's overall popularity. Just like Sephiroth, which technically never had proper fan demand, and look.
Not saying Crash is a lock. Not at all. But your point, which is valid, also applies to most characters we discussed at some point. And all of this is assuming Nintendo cares enough about characters with a long history of fan demand, which I strongly doubt if we take a look at most of the DLC picks they have made so far.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Geno's popularity is an aberration. Yeah he's cool but... there are plenty of cool one-off characters from RPGs.

Still, a better example would be comparing him to a category that wasn't just seen as plausibly feasible starting two months ago.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can't say the same for Sora, he looks too dorky for my taste, and his whole personality there to boot especially the whole "Friendship is my power!" especially when the series he comes from is basically just Final Fantasy combined with re-tellings of Disney stories which isn't that original to begin with...
I mean, you may not like him, but considering that he's managed to resonate with a ton of people he and his games must be doing something right.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, you may not like him, but considering that he's managed to resonate with a ton of people he and his games must be doing something right.
It has to do with the fact its a crossover with Disney otherwise I'm certain folks wouldn't be drawn into it nor the character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So there's something I want to discuss

Annie's gameplay revealed in new Skullgirls: 2nd Encore trailer, more DLC on the way (eventhubs.com)

So Skullgirls is getting New DLC Characters in 2021. I believe the last DLC Character before her came out around 2016, so this is a 5 year gap between DLC Character release

To be fair, There was the Mobile game, and some upgraded ports of Skullgirls that came with some extra content like Story mode I believe, but that's not the point

I'm certain they are already discussing or negotiating with Companies for Future Smash endeavors, I'm just not sure if it be extra content to Ultimate down the line, Upgraded port, or it's talk for New Smash game
depends on if Sakurai and/or Nintendo want to revisit it. the only time the window would truly end is near the end of the switch's lifespan imo, as after Bayo in Smash 4 the Wii U was kinda ending its lifespan.

that said i can see that happening. they did a new splatfest in splatoon 2 a year and a half after their "final fest" and even acknowledged "wasn't Chaos vs Order supposed to be the final splatfest?"

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I find it unfathoming that a side character from a nearly 25-year game had more support and demand than her as well as a poorly written gary-stu character from glorified Disney/Final Fantasy crossover fanfiction in the form of a video game than THE female video game protagonist alongside Samus.
I'm the one who would choose Lara Croft as the next Sqaure Enix rep after Sephiroth.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm the one who would choose Lara Croft as the next Sqaure Enix rep after Sephiroth.
Same here. I feel she really earns her spot being the icon she is as gaming's female protagonist. Also was big in the 90s as Crash was. I would say she along with Crash, and Master Chief are among the last missing 3rd party All-Stars missing in Smash.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hey, Lara Croft is cool but taking cheap shots at other people's favorites won't magically make them support her.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"If the series was entirely different, people wouldn't care about it" is a sentiment that has absolutely zero practical value.

We play with the cards we are dealt. Kingdom Hearts is what it is, people who like it like it for what it is, and Sora is one aspect of what is liked.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Same here. I feel she really earns her spot being the icon she is as gaming's female protagonist. Also was big in the 90s as Crash was.
As it's been discussed ad nauseam over the past few days, being a gaming icon does not make someone a shoe-in for Smash. Lara has her own issues to contend with for her inclusion.

I'd also argue that as far as being a female gaming icon goes, Chun-Li still has her beat.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In terms of Missing All-Stars for both 1st and 3rd parties.

1st Party:
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Ganon
Toad

3rd Party:
Crash Bandicoot
Lara Croft
Master Chief

Not counting deconfirmations otherwise Impa and Waluigi notably would be listed.

Any 3rd party all-stars I could be missing also?
I'd also argue that as far as being a female gaming icon goes, Chun-Li still has her beat.
Chun-Li is definitely among gaming's most iconic females. She, Tifa, Samus, and Lara Croft. In terms of female protagonist that'd be both Samus, and Lara Croft.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Same here. I feel she really earns her spot being the icon she is as gaming's female protagonist. Also was big in the 90s as Crash was. I would say she along with Crash, and Master Chief are among the last missing 3rd party All-Stars missing in Smash.
Same.

If I remember, the most requested Sqaure Enix characters are:
  • Anime boy with a key (Sora)
  • Overrated puppet from a Mario RPG (Geno)
  • Robot girl with a big posterior (2B)
  • Another anime boy but with headphones (Neku, don't know?)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In terms of Missing All-Stars for both 1st and 3rd parties.

1st Party:
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Ganon
Impa
Toad

3rd Party:
Crash Bandicoot
Lara Croft
Master Chief

Not counting deconfirmations otherwise Waluigi notably would be listed.

Any 3rd party all-stars I could be missing also?
Why do you think you will get a consensus on this? You're categorizing characters by a subjective standard.

"All-stars", "icons"; everyone is going to have a different list. A list that, for a lot of people, is coloured by things for which they have an affinity/familiarity.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nothing interesting or cool about this at all. No sir.
Lol I just did that battle again yesterday.

The superbosses make me think the only thing that could be a bit lame about a movement for Sora is him having a counter. He does have a good supply of cool options for a counter but I get a little tired seeing a new character come with one.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Chun-Li is definitely among gaming's most iconic females. She, Tifa, Samus, and Lara Croft. In terms of female protagonist that'd be both Samus, and Lara Croft.
Chun-Li is a bigger name than both of them, Samus being a pretty big character but not quite at that level and Lara Croft being about equal in the west but completely surpassed by Chun-Li in Japan. And for all intents and purposes Chun-Li is a protagonist too.

Tifa is a bit of an outlier there, she's an important character but not really on that level. Jill Valentine on the other hand is missing from this assessment and absolutely deserves to be acknowledged.

But as N3ON said it's kind of a pointless thing to get into semantics with, so idk why I did. I guess I just feel like people here have a tendency to undermine Chun-Li quite a bit? I will say though your third party all-stars are heavily skewed toward a western audience. That doesn't invalidate it but it's ignoring the bigger picture a little bit.

Waluigi and especially Tom Nook are pretty big deals, too. For your first parties at least. (I just read why Waluigi is missing, ignore that then)

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So now we're questioning how iconic Chun-Li is? I mean, there's a reason she's in every crossover with Ryu, even ones where Ken doesn't show up, like Marvel 1, 3, Infinite and TVC. Ken's an iconic character too, but I'm pretty sure he got in earlier due to his echo status.
Coming from one of the few people who daps up Lara over Geno and Sora, its not that hard to see how. Even if, again I think people REALLY sleep on Lara Croft, given how iconic she is(up there with Samus, Chun, Peach and Zelda if we're talking female characters specifically).

1. Both Geno and Sora are more closely tied to Nintendo, one's from a Mario Spin-off. And the other's got notable Nintendo exclusive titles, rather than games that just so happen to have Nintendo ports.

2. Western characters aren't exactly supported with the most confidence, like almost all of them have hesitation or low expectations with their support. But it'd be nice to have people push Lara for Summer Slam the way they do Geno or Crash(who's an exception) for whatever reason.

3. Whether or not you think he's poorly written or not, Sora's incredibly popular outside of Smash, and KH has a pretty dedicated fanbase. Like sure, Geno's sheer popularity for Smash is utterly absurd from the outside looking in. But Sora? A multi-million selling series? With popular with Sony and Nintendo fans? Flashy powers? Of course people want him in. I might not personally, but it's understandable.

4. Lara, for better or worse, is a mostly normal human. So that's not the flashiest character at first glance, no Power Wave, Ice Magic or Hurricane Kicks and so on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom