• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

New Tourney: GOTTA GO FAST!

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
What Doing?!
I'm going to assume you're asking about the whole thing of Rex Vs Elma

Pretty much, alot of people expect a Xenoblade character, but there is debates about whether it would be Rex or Elma. People usually give reasons For and against each character.

Alot of the Reasons involve the relevancy of each character, Moveset implementation, and in Rex's case, his Mii Costume. There's nothing wrong with the characters from a character point of view, just speculation about which Xenoblade character would get in, if any Xenoblade character gets in

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Is this a Soulcalibur thing from 6, 2 or 3? Cause in 5, the only thing Night Behind does aside from moveset changes is that you can only side-step or dash forward, but regular stance side-stepping is still faster and dashing doesn't seem any different speed-wise.
True, but Smash's nature as a 2D game might cause things to be translated into overall 2D mobilty, since he wouldn't exactly be able to side step.

This week's event is a tournament between the characters with the highest running speed. So no Spirit massacre tonight, thankfully.
images.jpg

I wanted a gif of an Incineroar whiff animation, but this is better.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If it was just Pyra and Mythra they could just change the properties and leave the animations mostly the same. In Xenoblade 2 their special abilities make quite a large difference in how they operate, along with different stat spreads. A leveled-up Mythra allows Rex to chain specials indefinitely, and the moveset could lean into that kind of thing.

I think Rex would stick to those two for the same reasons that Joker only has Arsene.
Yeah, after Joker I could totally see them approaching Rex in a more "basic" way. Pyra and Mythra is all you need. I even see Mythra appearing only during the Final Smash, to be honest.

Before we knew how Joker played I was one of those who believed he would be able to summon and change between 3-4 different personas lol

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Thought that issue was only for Tekken and Heihachi? I recall Soulcalibur's is easier to implement into Smash.
Was it ever revealed what the specific issue for Heihachi was?

Because if it's 3D mobility, then Soulcalibur is even less likely than Tekken because good 3D movement is literally one of the big things it's known for because of 8-Way Run, which Tekken doesn't have iirc.

If it's Tekken's controls, or how the gameplay functions, those are the things where Soulcalibur isn't nearly as affected and what makes a character from that series easier to implement.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

This week's event is a tournament between the characters with the highest running speed. So no Spirit massacre tonight, thankfully.
So as Someone that thinks Shadow is in this Fighter Pass, this tournament does give me some thoughts

-I don't think this tournament deconfirms Shadow. Shadow is a very fast character, and if added would be Around Sonic's Speed, but Shadow has never been associated with Speed as much as he's associated with being a Rival character or Sonic's Dark reflection, or his Chaos powers or some of his edgyness

-Which kind of adds to the fact that for being a Character that was very advertised as a Villain character/Boss Character, Sephiroth's Tourney actually wasn't based on that or his Sword. It's possible we might later get a Villain/rival only based tourney, and that could be Shadow's tourney

-Sephiroth was added after the light weight tourney, and since he's weight number is 79, he would have been in that tourney if added earlier.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SoulCalibur would be easier to implement than Tekken because it doesn't have limb-mapping.

Frankly I think Tekken also wouldn't be hard to implement, and Heihachi has been implemented in several games on a 2D plane, with more "standard" controls, but people who disagree seem to do so on the basis of Sakurai not willing to change Tekken's control scheme.

But if Heihachi was actually one of those highly highly top-tier requested characters, or he was one of those characters where the executive comes back to look over their glasses and say "are you sure you can't get this character working?" which when you translate the Japanese social cues means "c'mon Sakurai, put this guy in", I bet he'd be in by now.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
-I don't think this tournament deconfirms Shadow. Shadow is a very fast character, and if added would be Around Sonic's Speed, but Shadow has never been associated with Speed as much as he's associated with being a Rival character or Sonic's Dark reflection, or his Chaos powers or some of his edgyness
So if he was one of the fastest characters, he wouldn't be in there because he's not associated with speed?

That's the most backwards logic I've seen. If he'd be there and be one of the fastest, he'd be in it, end of story.

-Which kind of adds to the fact that for being a Character that was very advertised as a Villain character/Boss Character, Sephiroth's Tourney actually wasn't based on that or his Sword. It's possible we might later get a Villain/rival only based tourney, and that could be Shadow's tourney
Sephiroth's tournament was based on darkness, which is fitting for him.

Also, this.

-Sephiroth was added after the light weight tourney, and since he's weight number is 79, he would have been in that tourney if added earlier.
This one has nothing wrong here. Just quoting it because I didn't want to leave it out :p

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
who would have possibly expected Steve & Alex?
eeeeeHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH don't know about that one

sure people expected them to not be in FP1 after Banjo, and only after Banjo, but Smash acknowledging Minecraft's popularity in some form was still expected.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

7NATOR

Smash Master
So if he was one of the fastest characters, he wouldn't be in there because he's not associated with speed?

That's the most backwards logic I've seen. If he'd be there and be one of the fastest, he'd be in it, end of story.

Sephiroth's tournament was based on darkness, which is fitting for him.

Also, this.

This one has nothing wrong here. Just quoting it because I didn't want to leave it out :p
Shadow is associated with Speed, just not as much as he's associated with Being Shadow's Dark reflection and Sonic's Rival (literally, but especially metaphorically), along with his Chaos powers

Now as for Sephiroth's Tourney, Yeah Shadow would have fit this, but I don't think it automatically suggest he's out. It was something that I needed to tell myself too, because it was something that was worrying

But I think with the fact that Sephiroth's tourney wasn't Villains or Rival Based (Since his connection to Cloud is also important) is something to keep in mind. I'm aware of the Heroes and Villains tourney, but perhaps something that's more specific toward the relationship of the rivals is something that could be added later. Like for example, Ryu and Ken are rivals, but they weren't in that Heroes and Villains tourney. so something like that

and the lightweight tourney is an example as for why I won't count out Shadow yet. But of course, it still worries me in the inside. But I won't give up unless there's something more "Direct"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I mean

yeah Rex is the expected choice

but if there’s anything this pass has taught me it’s to expect the unexpected

who would have possibly expected Steve & Alex? Or Sephiroth? Or AN ARMS CHARACTER LET ALONE MIN MIN??

so yeah. Still hoping for Elma but overall expecting the unexpected
I'm sorry but I disagree with they way you're thinking. First many people where predicting Steve and Alex (including me). But even if you say that they where less predicted characters, they're still choices that make sense in retrospective. Minecraft is huge and it was the most logic choice for a Microsoft character (you could argue that Chief would make sense, but personally I never saw him having any chances in the first place). Sephiroth comes from one of the most beloved jrpg who was just getting a remake. He was less predicted than other Square characters, but when you think about it he make sense.

Elma really doesn't have a lot going for her. Sure the fact that Xenoblade X have no content is odd, but Rex is more relevant, more popular, his games have more sales, Xenoblade 2 also have not a lot of content. There's also the fact that Xenoblade got a remake (which sold more than Xenoblade X), so they could go with Melia.

I think the way of thinking "the pass was surprising, so they're going to surprise more" is not a really good way of thinking. This remind me of when Terry was announced, and people starts predicting very weird character like Gex, Earthworm Jim, or Sony characters because "Terry was surprising and nobody predict him, so fighter pass 2 will also have character that nobody predict". Terry wasn't predicted, but when you look at SNK history, he made sense, just like Sephiroth and Steve does.

To be fair I don't think Elma have like 0% chances of getting in, but I don't think they would go with her just for the sakes of surprise us.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
According to his location, he doesn't come from somewhere that natively speaks English so it's probably not going to change.
Dunno what the proper procedure is in that case lol.
Ah didn't see that. Something I should consider next time.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Our next newcomer is likely not going to be fast, then.

I've been hoping for one that's more mobile than others for a while, but mobility on pass characters seems to be a thing of the past.

I won't count out a fast character totally; Min Min had an electric attack after the tournament themed around that. But still, it's been a helpful guideline so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom