• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Well

Sonic characters are officially coming to Puyo Puyo Tetris 2. The characters are Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, Amy, and Metal Sonic

It's just apart of that Sonic 2021 deliveries we gonna be getting. That's why I've been saying that Sega would definitly want some new Sonic content in Smash Ultimate, because Smash is a very big game. They've been putting Sonic content in Fall guys and Ninjala, so I think there's good reasoning here

If they picked another character, it's confirmed that Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Eggman, Amy, and Metal Sonic are the main options.
only Sonic is PPT2 DLC

EDIT: Jesus what an awful video
Sonic fans truly have no synergy when its comes to non sonic material.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I have been messing around with Teppen, Capcom's equivalent to Hearthstone and similar card games and the hero roster is pretty awesome. So here is an interesting idea/game:

Outside Ryu, which one of these guys would you want in Smash? I
Since there's no Arthur(a travesty), Morrigan. Jill as a close second.

Let's talk about stuff because we want to talk about stuff, not because we heard a stranger whisper something.

Let's speculate!
I speculate Sakurai is going to add my most wanteds.

Keeping with my current mood of "let's actually speculate ****", how about this guy?
4th party character.

I personally think he qualifies because the games have grown much bigger than the books.
Which is completely irrelevant.

Honestly I think Wild Hunt is big enough in the gaming sphere to break through the gaming-only rule.
No such thing.

Victory Theme Theory, where every DLC has a unique victory theme.
I like it.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
What sort of splash text do you think your most wanted characters would get? I came up with a bunch for some characters I'd like:

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Cadence Feels the Rhythm!
Heavy Revs Up!
Frisk is Determined to Smash!
Bandana Waddle Dee Proves Himself!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Madeline Climbs to Greatness!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Nightmare Edges In!
Scorpion Gets Over Here!
Sub-Zero Freezes In!
Octoling Claims the Turf!
Ganondorf Takes Over <- Canon Ganon moveset
Doom Slayer

No really, that last one is just his name. Nothing else. :V

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
What sort of splash text do you think your most wanted characters would get? I came up with a bunch for some characters I'd like:

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Heavy Revs Up!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Phoenix Takes The Case!
Steve Squares Up! (This one was my splash screen prediction)
Jack Frost Joins The Party!
Demi-fiend Aligns With Smash!
Porky Means Business!
Travis Climbs The Ranks!
Lloyd/Yuri Goes Over The Limit! (The two can be interchangeable)
Velvet Wills to Fight!
Seven Goes Metal! (Xenoblade spoiler proof name)

And now for my silly AU where our Minecraft rep was a Horse w/ alts instead:

Horse Gallops Over!
Donkey Gears Up!
Mule Mixes It Up!
Skeletons Horse Brings The Thunder!
Zombie Horse Spawns From Nothing!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yakuza Producer, Daisuke Sato, wants to take on developing a Sonic the Hedgehog Game : SonicTheHedgehog (reddit.com)

The actual article linked seems to not be working, but the Producer said he wants to take to developing a Sonic game

The actual creator of the Series also said this as well

Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Say’s We Will Get Sonic Games With A New Gameplay Style - The Tojo Dojo

and he's now creative chief officer of Sega

It was actually only 1 Tweet, but I'm not the only one that noticed this, as other people speuclated this could be what's happening as well
Ah, thanks. These were the ones. Perhaps we'll be seeing a more action-y Sonic game for his 30th anniversary.

Shadow May Cry, here we come! :4pacman:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Heavy Revs Up!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
I really like some of these!

Oh let's see...:

Wow! Mike Jones has done it!
Mike's victory message in startropics is "wow, you've done it!"
Crono gets triggered.
Eggman, has the master plan.
Tails takes the lead!
Amy is ready to crush!
Metal Sonic is here. Strange isn't it!?
Joe Musashi can join? Shuriken!
Ryu Hayabusa exerts his revenge.
Billy and Jimmy rock the stage!
cause they like playing air guitar
Bill Rizer Locks and Loads!
Rash has an itch for battle!
Vectorman takes out the trash
Axel / Blaze go straight into battle!
Go straight is one of the more popular songs in the Streets of Rage series

Is this actually harder than it should?

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Unironically Shadow the Hedgehog should been a on rails Shoot-'em-Up like L.A. Machineguns and Sin & Punishment.
Wait. Why is that actually a really smart idea. A speedy on rail shooter that captures the speed and momentum of a Sonic game, while incorporating Shadow’s weird gun motif. Not gonna lie, I’d be super into that.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Wait. Why is that actually a really smart idea. A speedy on rail shooter that captures the speed and momentum of a Sonic game, while incorporating Shadow’s weird gun motif. Not gonna lie, I’d be super into that.
SEGA has made so many rail shooters in the past that its weird that they never thought it would work with sonic

than again rail shooters are dead now so maybe that why.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I mean, there's a difference between a franchise that's never been a railshooter suddenly getting one and reviving a railshooter game that's primarily known for being a railshooter
One has their big hugely recognizeable mascot on the cover and the other hadn't seen a game in years because it wasn't Sonic, Puyo Puyo or Yakuza.

Which one would sell more? 🤔

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Which is completely irrelevant.
It's not though. Originating from gaming and being important to it aren't mutually inclusive.
Case in point:
1610604637154.png
Granted, this is several interpretations down the line, but that still doesn't change the origin.

Super Smash Bros. is a celebration of gaming, and if a game that would normally be a good candidate for inclusion is thrown out because it's an adaptation of something then it's pretty much the equivalent of sticking a "no girls allowed" sign on the treehouse.

It's not the same as opening the game up to all media either. The focus is still very much on gaming.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's not though. Originating from gaming and being important to it aren't mutually inclusive.
Case in point: View attachment 299233 Granted, this is several iterations down the line, but that still doesn't change the origin.

Super Smash Bros. is a celebration of gaming, and if a game that would normally be a good candidate for inclusion is thrown out because it's an adaptation of something then it's pretty much the equivalent of sticking a "no girls allowed" sign on the treehouse.

It's not the same as opening the game up to all media either. The focus is still very much on gaming.
Long story short:
Jerry Witcherman is an epic gamer. Goku is not. Therefore, Jerry Witcherman gets special privileges that Goku doesn't have

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One has their big hugely recognizeable mascot on the cover and the other hadn't seen a game in years because it wasn't Sonic, Puyo Puyo or Yakuza.

Which one would sell more? 🤔
I don't know, would people buy a game of a genre they have zero interest in just because they see a certain character on the box? The last time I remember seeing Sonic get a game like that people liked was Battle, it'd be seen as risky, like, would say, Zelda fans buy a game that was just Darkest Dungeon but with Zelda slapped on?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't know, would people buy a game of a genre they have zero interest in just because they see a certain character on the box? The last time I remember seeing Sonic get a game like that people liked was Battle, it'd be seen as risky, like, would say, Zelda fans buy a game that was just Darkest Dungeon but with Zelda slapped on?
I like how you used Zelda as an example when Hyrule Warriors did pretty well to the point of having two re-releases and a full-on sequel, then Cadence of Hyrule being also well-regarded. Both of these games did something the Zelda games never do, being Musou game and roguelite respectively.

And they worked.

That's not even mentionned the bajillion Mario spin-offs that have nothing to do with platforming either.

What kills a game isn't whether or not the concept is interesting, but rather if it's executed well enough.

A good game that's ignored always has a chance to get the spotlight, but a bad game will always be bad.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Long story short:
Jerry Witcherman is an epic gamer. Goku is not. Therefore, Jerry Witcherman gets special privileges that Goku doesn't have
More like: Games/series like The Witcher III, Kingdom Hearts, and Marvel Vs. Capcom have garnered enough success and/or legacy that would be good picks for Super Smash Bros. regardless of their source material, whereas Dragon Ball doesn't really have any of that. Therefore it would be silly to exclude the former series while the latter one doesn't really make sense to add; it's out of scope.

...If that's not what you said under the memes that is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I like how you used Zelda as an example when Hyrule Warriors did pretty well to the point of having two re-releases and a full-on sequel, then Cadence of Hyrule being also well-regarded. Both of these games did something the Zelda games never do, being Musou game and roguelite respectively.

And they worked.

That's not even mentionned the bajillion Mario spin-offs that have nothing to do with platforming either.

What kills a game isn't whether or not the concept is interesting, but rather if it's executed well enough.

A good game that's ignored always has a chance to get the spotlight, but a bad game will always be bad.
Oh right, Warriors. Genuinely forgot lmao.

Idk, ignored good games that get the spotlight at some point generally don't sell that well, businesses don't care about reception as much as y'know, money.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Oh right, Warriors. Genuinely forgot lmao.

Idk, ignored good games that get the spotlight at some point generally don't sell that well, businesses don't care about reception as much as y'know, money.
A fair enough point, but the game's execution will always be what matters the most rather than the concept.

So an on-rail shooter based on Shadow might legit be something worth experimenting on if... well... Sega wanted to experiment lol

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Case in point: View attachment 299233 Granted, this is several interpretations down the line, but that still doesn't change the origin.

I mean, Dracula is a public domain character just like Sherlock Holmes so you can expect different variation of them all across the media each with different interpretation of the character, case in point Castlevania's Dracula. While on the other hand Witcher has not yet been a public domain so the Geralt in the game is strictly based on book Geralt with a few minor changes just like how Gandalf in LoTR is based on book Gandalf and the series itself still technically count as a book rather than a movie even if the movie itself surpass the book.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
More like: Games/series like The Witcher III, Kingdom Hearts, and Marvel Vs. Capcom have garnered enough success and/or legacy that would be good picks for Super Smash Bros. regardless of their source material, whereas Dragon Ball doesn't really have any of that. Therefore it would be silly to exclude the former series while the latter one doesn't really make sense to add; it's out of scope.

...If that's not what you said under the memes that is.
Yeah, that's pretty much meme speak for what you said. Geralt got a game that was highly successful and had a big impact on the gaming sphere, so he gets the epic gamer privileges. Dragon Ball got some pretty good games, yes, but Goku is an anime/manga character first and foremost. He doesn't get the epic gamer privileges.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, Dracula is a public domain character just like Sherlock Holmes so you can expect different variation of them all across the media each with different interpretation of the character, case in point Castlevania's Dracula. While on the other hand Witcher has not yet been a public domain so the Geralt in the game is strictly based on book Geralt with a few minor changes just like how Gandalf in LoTR is based on book Gandalf and the series itself still technically count as a book rather than a movie even if the movie itself surpass the book.
Fun fact, Sherlock Holmes is only technically public domain, the state of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle keeps trying to hold as much power of the original works as possible and get VERY ****ing finicky about copyright. Amusingly, the character Herlock Sholmes, used to bypass copyright law by the guy who wrpte the Arsene Lupin books, is public domain. Wonder if a certain skilled attorney has anything to do with that

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Dracula Argument doesn't really work for Geraldo because The Dracula in Castlevania is just a character named Dracula, Castlevania is not an adaptation of the Dracula book (Even then it's public domain now), Dr. Kawashima works more in favor for Saber or Zhao Yun because they are heavily fictionalized versions of the original person (again same with Dracula, King Arthur and Zhao Yun are public domain)

Witcher the book series and Witcher the game Franchise share the same IP and Copyright, No Matter how you look at it, The Witcher is a Book franchise with Video games. Castlevania is not suddenly an Anime franchise because the Anime got popular,

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Didn't stop them from greenlighting a Panzer Dragoon remake, did it?
And the REZ ports they greenlit every several few years. Not sure how well the newest HOTD did in the arcades.
I still think Rail Shooters are never going to have the renaissance moment they had in the late 90s in the current era though.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Heavy Revs Up!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
First Party (Nintendo)
Bandana Dee Waddles In!
Poochy Ain't Stupid!
The Shake King Plunders the Competition!
Toxtricity Is Ready to Rock!

Third Party (Other gaming companies)
Amaterasu Paints up a Fight!
Crash Spins into Action!
Heavy Brings Out the Big Guns!
Earthworm Jim Goes Groovy!
The Octane Rockets into Battle!
Henry Stickmin Completes the Mission!

Fourth Party (Non-videogame, bonus)
Lincoln Loud Is Louder than Ever!
Godzilla Stomps into Smash!
Scooby-Doo has Found a Clue!
Garfield is Hungering for a Battle!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Dracula Argument doesn't really work for Geraldo because The Dracula in Castlevania is just a character named Dracula Castlevania is not an adaptation of the Dracula book (Even then it's public domain now), Dr. Kawashima works more in favor for Saber or Zhao Yun because they are heavily fictionalized versions of the original person (again same with Dracula, King Arthur and Zhao Yun are public domain)

Witcher the book series and Witcher the game Franchise share the same IP and Copyright, No Matter how you look at it, The Witcher is a Book franchise with Video games. Castlevania is not suddenly an Anime franchise because the Anime got popular,
I think the main thing is that Wild Hunt didn't just get popular, it outright eclipsed the original books in everywhere but it's homeland Poland and the surrounding Eastern Europe region. Apparently it kicked off the trend of wide-open sandbox games and even got featured on a lot of Game of the Decade lists. The Netflix Castlevania didn't eclipse the NES classics or Symphony of the Night in the same way Wild Hunt did with the books.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
OK so would you argue that The Lord of the Rings shouldn't make a best movies list because they're book adaptations? They're still good movies, the source material doesn't change that. It's the same deal here.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
OK so would you argue that The Lord of the Rings shouldn't make a best movies list because they're book adaptations? They're still good movies, the source material doesn't change that. It's the same deal here.
You could say that LoTR is a good movie but you can't erase the fact that it's an adaptation on a book, really it's just in terms of media and Smash strictly view their origin, you can't say that Castlevania is an adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula just because the main antagonist is named Dracula. It's just that one is a direct adaptation and the other one is inspiration.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You could say that LoTR is a good movie but you can't erase the fact that it's an adaptation on a book, really it's just in terms of media and Smash strictly view their origin, you can't say that Castlevania is an adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula just because the main antagonist is named Dracula. It's just that one is a direct adaptation and the other one is inspiration.
Funnily enough, Castlevania actually did incorporate Stoker's novel into the continuity. Bloodlines was a sequel to it, starring the son of the Quincy Morris, and that game got a sequel of it's own with Portrait of Ruin, which had Quincy's grandson as the main character.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They are a book series with film and video game adaptations. they are not a separate Property, Spider-Man PS4 is not a separate property from the Spider-Man Comics.

Popularity doesn't change copyright either, just how the property is perceived.

it is unknown if Smash bros. when considering content looks at the perception or the literal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom