• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Okay, but why does her being legal matter?
The Tier Names were already comedic, so I felt like making a joke about how ARMS's Second Best Quality (First being the incredibly interesting Lore), the Female Character Design by also making a joke about Min Min BARELY being Legal (she's 18)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's an extremely impactful fighting game series.
This could be said about its gory reputation, but there's also two notable ways it innovated fighting games that could be in T-rated ones: Juggling, and command normals. Japanese developers would have to had played MK1 to see how they could improve on these concepts for their own fighters.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Let us have a bit of fun. Make a tier list representing your favorite DLC fighters thus far! Not in terms of competitive viability, simply how much you like the fighters and their inclusions. Mine is seen in the spoiler above.
A tier:
:ultsephiroth::ultbyleth::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:
B tier:
:ult_terry:
C tier:
:ulthero::ultpiranha::ultminmin
D tier:
:ultjoker:

Nothing is grabbing me as S tier material personally. I've not bought either of the Fighters Passes but I have had the opportunity to play as them all thanks to a friend.

I may nab the ones in A tier at the end though.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In response to the conversation from before - ranked from my favorite to least favorite... obviously.

:ult_terry: - Perfect addition to the series. He encapsulates everything I love about Smash - bringing in this out of nowhere character from a series that so many people in the community knew absolutely nothing about only to school everyone and prove Terry's worth through his charisma, a super fun moveset and a metric **** ton of content. We need more surprises like him.

:ultpiranha: - Smash has still got a knack for creating these charming, wacky characters that nobody knew they wanted. Piranha Plant is just a joy, and they've become one of my favorite characters to play in the whole game. It hurts my soul that I still see hate for them to this day.

:ultbanjokazooie: - I didn't grow up on Banjo, but I've always been rooting for these two to have their day. It finally came and it was glorious. Contrary to some criticism I've heard sent their way, I actually appreciate that Banjo is more straightforward than some of his fellow newcomers. They just feel like they belong.

:ultminmin - Say what you will about ARMS, its characters are insanely charming. Min Min has always been my favorite, so I was very happy that they chose her to represent the series. Honestly I just really like when new Nintendo IPs get their time to shine. It makes me sad that some of them missed the boat, so I'm glad that ARMS didn't meet the same fate as some of its contemporaries.

:ultsephiroth: - Hype incarnate reveal. I was hoping for a surprise and we definitely got one. I love how powerful he feels to control, some of his attacks are just insanely satisfying or such a spectacle to behold. It's also really nice to finally see FF7 get the complete representation it should have had to begin with. Always great to get some villains too.

:ulthero: - Hero needed some time to grow on me, but I love them a lot now. At the time of their reveal I was concerned about how overly gimmicky they appeared - it felt a little bit overkill. But one day I decided to play Hero in a free for all with some friends and I truly understood. Yeah, they're gimmicky and dumb as hell but... they're really fun. Nothing wrong with a totally crazy character every now and then.

:ultsteve: - I had never been much of an advocate for Steve, since I felt Minecraft was better represented through other means such as a stage and costumes. Nonetheless, Steve came anyway and I'm honestly really happy with his inclusion. He really feels like you're playing Minecraft... in Smash Bros. Which, needless to say, means that Steve is a complete success. I'm generally not big on your usual blank slate avatar protagonists, but Steve represents the 'personality' of Minecraft as a game. He's the embodiment of his series. I can respect that.

:ultjoker: - Joker was a total surprise and one that shook me in a good way. Over time though that surprise has kind of faded and, quite frankly, I'm a little burnt out on seeing Persona 5 everywhere. Joker is still a good inclusion, I love the music he brought with him and Mementos is one of my favorites. Joker himself is pretty fun but he kinda leaves me wanting more, and I'm not really big on Arsene. Should have been a SMT character - give me Jack Frost.

:ultbyleth: - I won't elaborate much on this one, because it's all stuff you've heard before, but Byleth was a real wet fart of a conclusion for FP1. Their moveset is okay but didn't really make up for how underwhelmed I was at their addition. At the end of the day I play Smash for the characters - Byleth doesn't have any character, as far as I'm concerned. They're another blank slate stale bread protagonist from a series that already has several of them. I'll give them props though, at least it genuinely feels like they tried to 'fix' some of the problems with FE by bringing in all the weapon types so I do appreciate the sentiment.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'll say this much about Ultimate's DLC, I actually bought it this time around. I remember during Smash 4 I only ended up buying Cloud because the DLC ended up being either returning veterans or characters I just didn't care about.
As much as I rag on Byleth, I still feel like I got my money's worth on a bunch of new unique fighters, and whoever the remaining three are I'm confident will stand out from the rest for better or worse.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They're another blank slate stale bread protagonist from a series that already has several of them.
Actually it only has two of them; Corrin and Byleth. Robin is also an avatar, but his personality is pretty well defined. Though I suppose you wouldn't be wrong in calling a lot of the protagonists kinda vanilla. Heh.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Figured I'd ask...

Have any of the DLC characters released so far interested you guys enough to try out their series? If so, are you a fan of any of them now?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Actually it only has two of them; Corrin and Byleth. Robin is also an avatar, but his personality is pretty well defined. Though I suppose you wouldn't be wrong in calling a lot of the protagonists kinda vanilla. Heh.
Yeah, Robin doesn't bother me as much in that regard - it also suits their role as the tactician to be kinda serious and focused. It helps that I've played Awakening and understand that a little better as a result, but in general the Fire Emblem cast is unfortunately not super varied or interesting in their personalities. I can forgive it with some of the cast (I honestly really dug the juxtaposition when FE was a little less saturated - Melee, Brawl) but it kinda sucks that, since we just get the protags pretty much, we're stuck with a bunch of characters who kinda fill the same role and have similar personalities at face value. Stoic, straight faced leaders for the most part.

I really value Roy for this reason, because he's such a hothead. Which is funny since it's like... not accurate to how he is in his own game, but it's so much more fun this way. I also really like how Chrom is kind of goofy. Matthew Mercer definitely sells it, I can't get over how he apologizes when he dies.

But that's my major gripe with FE more than anything else. Not to beat a dead horse but yeah.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay, after thinking about it, and perhaps looking at Certain posts, I might have to open my Mind more

Regarding another Fighting game character...

in regards to Arc System Works, I said that them getting a Spirit event as their introduction into Smash does not bold well for the chances of an Arc System Works character like Sol and Ragna.

I still think it is weird, and something I keep in the back of my mind, but I do think I should give someone like Sol Badguy more of a shot. Guilty Gear and Blazblue weren't franchises that were Spirited away, but it was River City that was spirited.

I did have a little of an open mind to an Arc System Works Character, but I'll expand my mind more after thinking about it, and shouldn't as easily throw an Arc System Works character to the wayside as easily. After all I still do find it suspicious their Flagship Series are nowhere to be seen, and while I would have mostly attbuited that to future Mii costumes, it could also be a Playable character. yes

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Figured I'd ask...

Have any of the DLC characters released so far interested you guys enough to try out their series? If so, are you a fan of any of them now?
Dragon Quest.
My biggest shock playing through 11 is that given that the most I knew about it was it being the great-granddaddy of JRPGs, that God and the church weren't portrayed as a secret evil cult bent on destroying the world via an angelic final boss.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, Robin doesn't bother me as much in that regard - it also suits their role as the tactician to be kinda serious and focused. It helps that I've played Awakening and understand that a little better as a result, but in general the Fire Emblem cast is unfortunately not super varied or interesting in their personalities. I can forgive it with some of the cast (I honestly really dug the juxtaposition when FE was a little less saturated - Melee, Brawl) but it kinda sucks that, since we just get the protags pretty much, we're stuck with a bunch of characters who kinda fill the same role and have similar personalities at face value. Stoic, straight faced leaders for the most part.

I really value Roy for this reason, because he's such a hothead. Which is funny since it's like... not accurate to how he is in his own game, but it's so much more fun this way. I also really like how Chrom is kind of goofy. Matthew Mercer definitely sells it, I can't get over how he apologizes when he dies.

But that's my major gripe with FE more than anything else. Not to beat a dead horse but yeah.
If we ever got a unit type that isn't a personal class, it would be kind of interesting to see if they added multiple characters at once. I'm not entirely sure how well it would work, perhaps you'd need Echo Fighters, but it would still be kind of interesting nonetheless.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
3D fighting games have huge move lists for each character. If they got someone from say, SoulCalibur, it would be interesting to see Sakurai increase the move count of a single character even further but for a fighter that feels more natural to do that with. Every angle of the attack button would be a different move, for tilts, for smashes, maybe even aerials. My personal choices would be Kilik or Nightmare, mostly Kilik because he wields the rod.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Given how much the Japanese community hates her competitively, she might not be legal in two years /s.
It only kicked in for me how much the Japanese community hated her until I looked at tournament VODS and saw a massive amount of dislike bombing on matches that include Min Min. I can understand why though, the noodle girl is overtuned and her playstyle is lame as hell to fight against and to watch as a spectator.

The Japanese look at her like how we look at Sonic right now lol

Figured I'd ask...

I tried out the ARMS demo when they announced that an ARMS fighter is coming to Smash. Not my cup of tea. I felt like the game was too simple as a fighting game for me.

cothero

Smash Lord
Reading this reminds me of how likely it is to Ryu Hayabusa be one of the remaining fighters, considering Vergeben's track record:

Now i have a question: does anyone remember which other characters Verge heard about alongside Ryu? (characters not confirmed as playable yet, of course)

Technomage

Smash Champion
It only kicked in for me how much the Japanese community hated her until I looked at tournament VODS and saw a massive amount of dislike bombing on matches that include Min Min. I can understand why though, the noodle girl is overtuned and her playstyle is lame as hell to fight against and to watch as a spectator.

The Japanese look at her like how we look at Sonic right now lol
Plus, Japan and China do not get along very well.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
:ultjoker: - I don't care about Persona but the music and gameplay of Joker is really solid, unlike many others I think fighting him is pretty fun.

:ulthero: - Hero is charming and fun to play in casual settings, but his unorthodox and sometimes clunky move set makes him a nightmare to play sometimes

:ultbanjokazooie: - Really boring, I don't like characters whos neutral consists of spitting out projectiles and following up with big kill moves, even worse is that Banjo doesn't have a very dazzling or flashy move set. His music and stage are alright.

:ult_terry:- Barely knew what KOF was before Terry was added, luckily he's incredibly fun to play. His music list is obviously great and his stage is gimmicky but still unique.

:ultbyleth:- Hated this character up until recently. A fun and unique character for not only Fire Emblem's cast but Smash as well, they can feel agonizingly slow but their attacks are flashy and fun. Their music is cool, but their stage is probably the worst of all the DLC.

:ultminmin - Boring, the initial gimmick of nuking and pestering people at long ranges wears thin very quickly. Like her home series, her music is probably the best part about her, although her stage is actually fun on occasions.

:ultsteve: - I like Minecraft but Steve's moveset is like Hero's, charming and unique but can feel incredibly clunky and unfun to play against. His stage is pretty good, his music is fine but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to.

:ultsephiroth:- A very fun character, while some of his moves feel awkward his over all move set feels balanced and refined. The special attention Sephiroth plays directly into his status as a boss character, rounding out Final Fantasy is also pretty cool.

My favourite characters are probably Terry, Sephiroth and Joker.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Reading this reminds me of how likely it is to Ryu Hayabusa be one of the remaining fighters, considering Vergeben's track record:

Now i have a question: does anyone remember which other characters Verge heard about alongside Ryu? (characters not confirmed as playable yet, of course)
As far as I'm aware, Ryu is Vergeban's only and final outstanding thing he's mentioned.

Plus, Japan and China do not get along very well.
Should probably tell them that next time they vote Min Min the most popular character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This could be said about its gory reputation, but there's also two notable ways it innovated fighting games that could be in T-rated ones: Juggling, and command normals. Japanese developers would have to had played MK1 to see how they could improve on these concepts for their own fighters.
Finishing moves is also the thing it created, which isn't really so much due to the gore but the idea of using a single move to immediately finish the fight. Killer Instinct more or less codified it as something that happens before the fight finishes instead(as well as codified Combos after Street Fighter II had it as just a glitch, anyway).

It was MK2 or 3 that started having proper combos. I forget which one came after Killer Instinct.

But it's not really gore so much as "extreme violence" that Mortal Kombat has heavily, which is why it can even get a T-Rating just fine. Albeit, that game still didn't hit Japan.

Getting back on track, though, the game series is still well known worldwide. Just saying "gore" is downplaying how much impact it has. That's just what it's most famous for, but not all that's important. Hell, why do you think Final Smashes are a thing? Cause of Mortal Kombat giving the idea of a Finishing Move in a Fighting Game.

As I said before, I don't think it'll get in Smash(maybe Spirits if lucky), but it's not due to known gore. It's literally that you can't find the games properly in Japan anymore, so it would be a poor advertising effect. MK characters can easily fit with a moveset that's akin to the level of violence Ridley has.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Let us have a bit of fun. Make a tier list representing your favorite DLC fighters thus far! Not in terms of competitive viability, simply how much you like the fighters and their inclusions. Mine is seen in the spoiler above.
CHAD TIER (A): :ultbanjokazooie:

Okay tier (B): :ult_terry::ulthero::ultminmin

Eh Tier (D): :ultbyleth:

Worse than Melee Kirby Tier (F-): :ultjoker::ultpiranha::ultsephiroth:

Honestly only Banjo was exciting for me, the rest were.................................okay?

I enjoy Terry and Hero more for introducing me to their franchises (DQXI is how you bring Nineties JRPG goodness into the modern era, take notes Final Fantasy) but Hero's implementation left a lot to be desired. Still stand that SSF2's Black Mage is the best Magic user Smash has ever gotten...............and that was a fangame with ****ing Goku on it.

Terry is far more accesible than Ryu and by default far more fun as a result, yet im not compelled to play as him for some reason, and i probably wouldn't have bought him if it wasn't by his absurd music list number.

Byleth is like taking a ****, it's not enjoyable but it had to happen.

Honestly despite me only truly enjoying ONE DLC character at its fullest, the Base game spoiled me by giving me Simon, K.Rool and Ridley and Wolf all in a row, so it's okay.

The F- tier Though, ew, no thanks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mortal Kombat 3 came after KI. Brutalities were meant to be a reference to its Ultra Combos.
Ah, thank you. It's hard to remember the release order of some of these.

...And also why I love KI so much, heh. I wonder how many actually got the GB game along with the SNES one. Such a silly time waster in Practice Mode. Since you could practice your combo timing all day long~

That said, Fulgore for Smash, yesssssh.

7NATOR

Smash Master

To my Knowledge, Vergeben did not actually hear about whether Ryu was in the game, just that he knows Nintendo and Koei at one point talked about Smash at the negotation table

Ryu is just his hypothesis, but people word it like he says Ryu might be one of the characters

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
100 pages already yay!

I guess I'll rank the DLC characters too.

S Tier: :ultsephiroth::ultjoker:

A Tier: :ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4::ult_terry:

B Tier: :ultminmin:ultpiranha::ultbanjokazooie:

C Tier: :ultsteve::ultbyleth::ultbylethf:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
~ GOD tier ~: :ulthero::ulthero3::ulthero4::ulthero2:
Large gap tier:

Very fun: :ultminmin:ultsephiroth::ult_terry:
Very fun but I have no desire to git gud with this character: :ultsteve:
Pretty fun::ultjoker: :ultbyleth:
ok: :ultpiranha::ultbanjokazooie:

I have decided to drop my non-speculation opinions for once, against my better judgement.

Faso115

Smash Lord
To my Knowledge, Vergeben did not actually hear about whether Ryu was in the game, just that he knows Nintendo and Koei at one point talked about Smash at the negotation table

Ryu is just his hypothesis, but people word it like he says Ryu might be one of the characters
Was that before or after Byleth?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Was that before or after Byleth?
I think the initial statement might have been before Byleth, since I remember him commenting about Ryu not being Fighter 5, but he offered other words that implied that actual discussions did take place between Nintendo and Koei, perhaps with Ryu as the subject

and then he's elaborated after Byleth got in about the Koei situation. I'm gonna have to go look it up though since I'm not sure. What I am sure is that Vergeben has never explicitly said Ryu would be DLC though, that's a Misconception

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You know what I enjoy most about all these DLC rankings?

Nobody is taking a dump on someone else’s opinion about fictional characters in a fighting game, regardless of how different they may be.

...I just jinxed it, didn’t I?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Half of Smash 4's DLC was RPG characters. Slightly less than half of our current DLC roster (Exactly half if you cut the plant) are RPG characters. Chances are that there might be another RPG character in the next three characters. I'm not closing it as a hard case, but you can't deny that it's definitely plausible. I'm not trying to fill a quota, it's just that Smash really likes RPGs.

The tone I see is "Ah, same **** as usual.". That's it. Like Min Min gave off the Nintendo shill vibe at first but now it's just... a thing? I don't know how to quite describe it, but I don't see anything Nintendo's thrown at us that gives us a theme of what they like to pick, y'know?

I don't want to hype up KOS-MOS, but I'm not just gonna let her get buried alive and have people end up making the surprised pikachu face if she ever ended up actually getting revealed.
Bruh, you’d see that anyway because no one knows who the hell she is outside a small minority of people lmao

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sakurai POTD.

This is the direct translation from Google.

本日「きょうの一枚」をはじめてから一周年です!! 毎日更新だから、365枚以上ですね。 ここで、来年の休み明けからは週5回更新にさせていただこうと考えています。

It's been one year since I started "Today's One Piece" today !! It's updated every day, so it's over 365. Here, I am thinking of updating it five times a week from the end of next year's holidays.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai POTD.

The Japanese text says it's been a year since he's started these, and now they're going to not be so daily.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
S Tier: :ultsteve: , :ultminmin , :ultbyleth: , :ultsephiroth:

A Tier: :ulthero: , :ultbanjokazooie:

B Tier: :ultjoker: , :ultpiranha:

C Tier:

D Tier: :ult_terry:

These are my current rankings. Joker's fallen for me from my old ones mainly due to me just not really being that into Persona anymore, and Terry just doesn't do anything for me personally.

For some explanations on my S Tier choices:

Steve - Probably my favorite DLC so far. I grew up with Minecraft through my teen years with Splatoon, and seeing them both be in one of my all time favorite games together now is just an amazing feeling for me. It doesn't hurt that I was pulling for Steve ever since pre-release, so to see it finally happen is just the best thing ever. I really doubt that I'm gonna get anyone from the rest of this pass that will surpass how much I was hyped for him, unless Octolings, Yuri Lowell, Eggman, or Waluigi happen, lol.

Min Min - Probably one of my all time favorite Nintendo character designs. I was hoping so bad she would be the ARMS rep and was convinced she'd get snubbed due to not technically being the marketing face, but she still managed to get in anyway. Plus, IDC what people say: I think ARMS is a fun and good game, and the Smash representation is warranted. :p

Byleth - I love Fire Emblem, Three Houses is probably the best one I've played, and they have a fantastic moveset and character design. I also love their stoic personality: They're just so cool!

Sephiroth - One of the most iconic villains of my second most favorite genre in gaming, and gave one of my all time favorite games a second chance at having actual content in the game? Heck yeah Sephiroth is rad. He's probably tied with Steve for who I think the most fun to play as character is from the DLC, too.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If you call:
Just a "guys, she's possible," then there's clearly a misunderstanding here.
I wasn't saying she's gonna be next, I was saying don't be surprised if it does end up being in her favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom