• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Was there ever any prevalent stage theory before?

Asking because i wasn't really paying attention what happened here between Min Min's release and Steve announcement and we did get Small Battlefield around September. Did that throw a wrench into any existing theory?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
When you think of potential Smash Bros. characters, what comes to mind when you hear/read each of the following:
  • Fighting games
  • Horror games
  • Cereal Mascot
  • Anime Swordsman
  • PapaGenos
  • Mii Costume
  • Most Wanted
  • Visual Novel
  • Fake Leak
  • 2nd Party
  • 4th Party
  • Retrofuturism
  • Adult
  • Mario rep
  • Thread game
In other words, what character do you associate each term with when it comes to roster speculation?
Nightmare
Leon Kennedy
Klonoa
Lloyd Irving
Geno
Geno
KOS-MOS
Monokuma
Sora (As a Sora Fan, it hurts everytime)
Golisopod with Guzma
Geralt (Shrugs)
Hades
Leisure Suit Larry
WahwahWaluigi
Bombs Away? (I do not know what this is lol)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Given different theories floating around right now, this is probably how I'm feeling about the rest of the pass at the moment:

safepredictions.png

Now, these are who I'm personally classifying as the "safe picks" in my eyes: Characters that got a lot seemingly going for them right now (in my opinion), and wouldn't be additions that would really surprise me at all given how things have turned out in the past and the information we've been receiving recently.

My reasonings here for the final three are as follows:

Most people here will probably recognize me as someone who would always bring Dante up as a frontrunner for this pass given the various aspects surrounding him and Nintendo. You have the interviews talking about how he should have games on Switch first with games coming very soon after that interview, fan demand, a flashy move set that appeals to Sakurai's desire to introduce new mechanics: Dante seemed like a pretty solid Capcom pick to me.

...Until Sephiroth muddled things by being our first third-party franchise added in with already preestablished content in the game, and the recent Chun-Li rumor making this whole situation around Capcom a whole lot more interesting and less clear cut than I originally assumed.

Don't get me wrong, Dante still has a pretty great chance: Sephiroth does nothing to take away from the great points he's got going for him, but the more we've looked at Chun-Li recently, I think there's an extremely strong case to make for her. The points Shroob Shroob 's brought up in her favor recently make her look extremely convincing to me as our potential Capcom rep. In fact, when you compare her to Dante, she has pretty much just as much in her favor as he does:

- March is looking extremely good for a Capcom rep given Monster Hunter Rise's release being an easy tie in with the missing MH costumes, and the amiibo restock hinting at a March released fighter #9. This is a point of interest for both Dante and Chun-Li.

- SF2's 30th anniversary is apparently in March.

- There's still an immense amount of SF content to pull from for Smash.

- She's an extremely iconic video game female that would make huge waves if she was added in.

- Similar to how where Cloud goes, Sephiroth follows, Chun-Li has a habit of following Ryu into crossovers.

Now admittedly, some of this can be pretty tin-foil, but I think these points have enough merit to make Capcom speculation more interesting and nuanced than "It's 100% gonna be Dante!"

However, I'm not discounting Dante: I definitely could still see funny pizza man win, but I definitely think he has competition at the moment.

Ryu is sitting in an extremely good spot right now IMHO: His biggest competition from his home company was unfortunately deconfirmed recently (RIP Atelier :c), Koei and Nintendo are in the same chummy spot Nintendo was with Platinum before Bayo got added, and he's an NES icon that would fit right in with the cast. There's not too much to say about him other than he just looks really likely right now given company relations and potential marketing prospects with the rumored rereleases of Ninja Gaiden games coming assumedly next year on Switch. Could all of this amount to nothing? Yes, but honestly, I'd be kind of surprised if it did.

Before anyone mentions it: Yes, I do think Vergeben's comments on Ryu are also a factor, but given his track record of...one out of nine fighters for DLC so far, I'm hesitant to say he's really too much of a factor in speculation anymore. More of an interesting tidbit.

Also, no, I don't think NateDrake is a factor in this at all: Dude's info is way too flimsy and he was staking his claim on Ryu being next, lol. Not to mention it was most likely speculation on his end anyway.

This one admittedly comes from some level of bias, because yes, I really do want Cinderace in this game, lol.

This topic has been beaten to death in this thread though, so I'll keep my reasoning brief:

- Scorbunny is a main character within the anime at the moment, and odds are it'll inevitably evolve into a Cinderace. We know for a fact the anime plays a pretty huge part into Pokemon choices for Smash.

- Pokemon's 25th is next year, and TPC will almost assuredly be going ham with stuffing Pokemon into everything it can.

- To be completely honest, in my eyes, Pokemon is the only Nintendo first party on the table at the moment that looks primed for content given the overall lack of major SwSh content in the game and the unfortunate circumstances of Xenoblade. The small spirit event is a factor to all of this, yes, but Sakurai's made it clear Pokemon doesn't work like other Smash inclusions, and we still don't have an Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra spirit event, nor or the final evos of the Starters or Pokemon like Toxtricity spirits yet.

- Smash's history of frontloading the major eye-grabbing characters first and finishing off with more marketing based picks.

What does everyone else here think? I want to make another one of these posts for more left field picks as well, so expect that to come maybe sometime later tonight.

Last edited:

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Given different theories floating around right now, this is probably how I'm feeling about the rest of the pass at the moment:

Now, these are who I'm personally classifying as the "safe picks" in my eyes: Characters that got a lot seemingly going for them right now (in my opinion), and wouldn't be additions that would really surprise me at all given how things have turned out in the past and the information we've been receiving recently.

Most people here will probably recognize me as someone who would always bring Dante up as a frontrunner for this pass given the various aspects surrounding him and Nintendo. You have the interviews talking about how he should have games on Switch first with games coming very soon after that interview, fan demand, a flashy move set that appeals to Sakurai's desire to introduce new mechanics: Dante seemed like a pretty solid Capcom pick to me.

...Until Sephiroth muddled things by being our first third-party franchise added in with already preestablished content in the game, and the recent Chun-Li rumor making this whole situation around Capcom a whole lot more interesting and less clear cut than I originally assumed.

Don't get me wrong, Dante still has a pretty great chance: Sephiroth does nothing to take away from the great points he's got going for him, but the more we've looked at Chun-Li recently, I think there's an extremely strong case to make for her. The points Shroob Shroob 's brought up in her favor recently make her look extremely convincing to me as our potential Capcom rep. In fact, when you compare her to Dante, she has pretty much just as much in her favor as he does:

- March is looking extremely good for a Capcom rep given Monster Hunter Rise's release being an easy tie in with the missing MH costumes, and the amiibo restock hinting at a March released fighter #9. This is a point of interest for both Dante and Chun-Li.

- She's an extremely iconic video game female that would make huge waves if she was added in.

- Similar to how where Cloud goes, Sephiroth follows, Chun-Li has a habit of following Ryu into crossovers.

Now admittedly, some of this can be pretty tin-foil, but I think these points have enough merit to make Capcom speculation more interesting and nuanced than "It's 100% gonna be Dante!"

However, I'm not discounting Dante: I definitely could still see funny pizza man win, but I definitely think he has competition at the moment.

Ryu is sitting in an extremely good spot right now IMHO: His biggest competition from his home company was unfortunately deconfirmed recently (RIP Atelier :c), Koei and Nintendo are in the same chummy spot Nintendo was with Platinum before Bayo got added, and he's an NES icon that would fit right in with the cast. There's not too much to say about him other than he just looks really likely right now given company relations and potential marketing prospects with the rumored rereleases of Ninja Gaiden games coming assumedly next year on Switch. Could all of this amount to nothing? Yes, but honestly, I'd be kind of surprised if it did.

Before anyone mentions it: Yes, I do think Vergeben's comments on Ryu are also a factor, but given his track record of...one out of nine fighters for DLC so far, I'm hesitant to say he's really too much of a factor in speculation anymore. More of an interesting tidbit.

Also, no, I don't think NateDrake is a factor in this at all: Dude's info is way too flimsy and he was staking his claim on Ryu being next, lol. Not to mention it was most likely speculation on his end anyway.

This one admittedly comes from some level of bias, because yes, I really do want Cinderace in this game, lol.

This topic has been beaten to death in this thread though, so I'll keep my reasoning brief:

- Scorbunny is a main character within the anime at the moment, and odds are it'll inevitably evolve into a Cinderace. We know for a fact the anime plays a pretty huge part into Pokemon choices for Smash.

- Pokemon's 30th is next year, and TPC will almost assuredly be going ham with stuffing Pokemon into everything it can.

- To be completely honest, in my eyes, Pokemon is the only Nintendo first party on the table at the moment that looks primed for content given the overall lack of major SwSh content in the game and the unfortunate circumstances of Xenoblade. The small spirit event is a factor to all of this, yes, but Sakurai's made it clear Pokemon doesn't work like other Smash inclusions, and we still don't have an Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra spirit event, nor or the final evos of the Starters or Pokemon like Toxtricity spirits yet.

- Smash's history of frontloading the major eye-grabbing characters first and finishing off with more marketing based picks.

What does everyone else here think? I want to make another one of these posts for more left field picks as well, so expect that to come maybe sometime later tonight.
I'm really not feeling another Pokemon instead of a new Xenoblade rep :\

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

- Pokemon's 30th is next year, and TPC will almost assuredly be going ham with stuffing Pokemon into everything it can.

Nice analysis. Probably one of the more "realistic" predictions I've seen.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
According to Voice Theory we are getting 3 more DLC characters. Incredible. Astonishing.
Though I suppose if it were to be true, it would disconfirm all mute characters...

...or confirm both a mute character, and a character with an alternate costume with different voice lines...

...or confirm a mute character alongside another character with an alternate costume getting more voice lines...

...why did we take this seriously again?

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I’d so much rather get a villain SF rep than Chun-Li. Akuma or Bison would be awesome. I wanted those two over Ken as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Though I suppose if it were to be true, it would disconfirm all mute characters...

...or confirm both a mute character, and a character with an alternate costume with different voice lines...

...or confirm a mute character alongside another character with an alternate costume getting more voice lines...

I mean after Terry and both Byleths, pass 2 happened with a new row opening for Min Min

anything can happen I guess

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Because some people have serious OCD.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, I've been doing some thinking about the voice theory. I know it had to do with the files, rather than the UI. Does anyone have a link to the original findings that showed that it held true for Byleth? Remember, it was never about the ACTUAL sound test UI, it was about how they were list in the files.

Also, thinking about the music theory as well - that there's room for two new series'. That might just be based solely on UI but does anyone have more info on that too?

I think it's interesting to consider, provided they both have merit and hold true, that we MAY be seeing a combination of the following:
  • Three new characters each with voice lines
  • Two new characters, one with an alt, and one more mute character
  • Two new series' and one returning series
  • Two characters from one new series and one additional new series.
I don't think they'd really do two characters from one series in one pass but considering Tales Of has big time popularity, Phoenix and Edgeworth are both equally popular, Kiryu and Majima could both be in, etc, it's fun to think about!

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Btw regarding voice theory, we have a precedent for a fighter with multiple characters sharing a slot though it is inconsistent: Ice Climbers have separate folders while Banjo/Kazooie share one slot. Then you have cases like Bayonetta who has two slots for no reason even if one has an extra voiceline that even both skins have (though i was told that in the Japanese version, one of the skins has the english voice)

So for example, a Rex/Pyra fighter could have voicelines for both characters in the same folder

D

Deleted member

Btw regarding voice theory, we have a precedent for a fighter with multiple characters sharing a slot though it is inconsistent: Ice Climbers have separate folders while Banjo/Kazooie share one slot. Then you have cases like Bayonetta who has two slots for no reason even if one has an extra voiceline that even both skins have (though i was told that in the Japanese version, one of the skins has the english voice)

So for example, a Rex/Pyra fighter could have voicelines for both characters in the same folder
The ice climbers share a folder

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Now that I don't believe, as I'm pretty sure it became a thing due to actual placeholders rather than "what if this menu we never look at ended up as a perfect rectangle?!?".
But still, it's silly and nonsensical to think that Sakurai would take into account menus that not a lot of people would look at when choosing DLC characters.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If Frisk was to be added, would they be mute or have a voice? I feel like they should be mute, but they aren't really all that different from Ness/Lucas's role, and they speak.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the way I see it if 5ch rumor is true;
  • KOS-MOS comes with a differently voiced T-elos alt
  • Crash talks but doesn’t have a Coco alt
  • Reimu is mute, since mainline Touhou games aren’t voiced and she has different VOs for the spinoffs

but again WHO CARES? Like I said anything can happen

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But still, it's silly and nonsensical to think that Sakurai would take into account menus that not a lot of people would look at when choosing DLC characters.
I don't think that's the idea either. I think it's just that they saw that a bunch of placeholders have been added, and speculated that they were put there early so they didn't have to do it later for the rest of the DLC characters. I think the fact that it makes a perfect rectangle is simply a coincidence.

If I am reading that right, then the only silly thing about it would be that there are just too many variables for this to accurately predict anything.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It has nothing to do with the menus. It has to do with how voice files are handled internally by the game itself.

And once again, the only reason it's brought up is because it worked for pass 1.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about Crash, I remember Imran (or another leaker, can't remember), italking about how Activision made some crazy demands to put him in Playstation's All Star Battle Royale, so the same could happen in smash.
Again, back when the Crash franchise was pretty much dead in the water and with a dev team that was barely given a budget.

Different circumstances, now that Crash is back they are now asking even more money :4pacman:

PK Duststorm

Smash Apprentice
HA! **** no!

I mean, he's not. Samus and Mega Man existed way earlier.

Oh yeah! More games should use...the worst part of that game and the entire reason it's regarded so poorly...
Samus, megaman, astro boy have gun arms too yes but they dont have the military vibe going on.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Frisk was to be added, would they be mute or have a voice? I feel like they should be mute, but they aren't really all that different from Ness/Lucas's role, and they speak.
They'd have whatever Mii Swordfighter voice you prefer :4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I hoped they didn’t do that with Isabelle too and yet here we are

SHE “TALKS” IN MARIO KART 8 DELUXE WHY NOT HERE.
Well not wanting something is different from saying it won't happen isn't it?

But yeah, considering she's quite talkative in her home series, and looks like a normal child, I really think she should have a voice. Isabelle, Mega Man, Olimar, and Alph should have voices too, especially since they have them in their main games.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I mean, I’m getting Box Theory vibes myself.

We had leaks saying Ken and Incineroar were it. Then box theory came up and suggested we would get two more characters, and the organization of characters on the box suggested Ken and one other character, basically solidifying it.

As you said it isn’t confirmed or anything, but I feel like folks should really think about it before going all in on denial. The same thing happened with Grinch vs Box.
I’m getting Smash 4 roster post-ESRB leak vibes myself, where people insisted Ridley was coming because the slots were ordered weird. I don’t remember it exactly but we’ve had our fair share of conversations as community about aesthetics and most of them panned out to be nothing. Box Theory worked because it had a pattern that indicated only two more characters would be coming or characters would be left out of the box, not purely based on “oooh full row good to monkey brain”

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m getting Smash 4 roster post-ESRB leak vibes myself, where people insisted Ridley was coming because the slots were ordered weird. I don’t remember it exactly but we’ve had our fair share of conversations as community about aesthetics and most of them panned out to be nothing. Box Theory worked because it had a pattern that indicated only two more characters would be coming or characters would be left out of the box, not purely based on “oooh full row good to monkey brain”
In regards to the idea of Wii U exclusive characters, I thought only ones the 3DS couldn't handle like the ICs had a chance. Ridley in his current state looks like something the 3DS could handle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In regards to the idea of Wii U exclusive characters, I thought only ones the 3DS couldn't handle like the ICs had a chance. Ridley in his current state looks like something the 3DS could handle.
Also call me crazy but I have a theory that the reason Inkling wasn’t made playable in 4 was because that ink texture mechanic probably would have been too much for the 3DS to handle...

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Also call me crazy but I have a theory that the reason Inkling wasn’t made playable in 4 was because that ink texture mechanic probably would have been too much for the 3DS to handle...
Mmmh, I’m not sure. This was a popular theory back in the day when we didn’t know what moveset the Inkling had, and was presupposed to be a moveset all about covering the stage. The current incarnation seems much less demanding of the game, aside from maybe the Roller.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Seriously now though, the fact that we had new Cloud lines added of all things proves that the Smash team can simply modify that menu whenever they like and for whatever reason they like. Why even care about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom