• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, 2B dressed as Aerith isn't that bizarre a sight.

Geno, on the other hand...

Wait, why? I can see some people disliking the moveset, because no moveset appeals to everyone, but I think it's nowhere near comparable to Yasuo's sheer infamy within League.

Its mostly the moveset and the fact she doesent appeal to me as a character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Dammit man you got me imagining Neku crossdressing in Aerith’s clothes

NOT MY BOY.

also re: your LoL part-
Yasuo: is currently the most infamous champion
Seraphine: hold my soda
Counterpoint: Seraphine's most glaring issues can be solved with a mini-rework.

Yasuo will always be Yasuo.

IDK, Ahri would fill the mage role we are lacking a bit in Smash. Yasuo would be as the cool kids say:

Anime Swordfighter
That's pretty much the point. A good part of the Smash fanbase would hate him for being an anime swordsman. And a good part of the League fanbase would hate him because he's Yasuo and now they have to deal with him on the online queue of yet another game. :roll:

Its mostly the moveset and the fact she doesent appeal to me as a character.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Eh...I really disagree that he's likely. I truly don't think we'll get an Ubisoft character. Having their two largest franchises, Assassin's Creed and Rabbids, get brand new Post Release Mii Costumes at the same time really isn't doing them any favors. I feel like they'd come with an Ubisoft character.
Meh, that doesn't mean anything. Mii Costumes do not have to come with the company/IP they are from. Banjo's Mii Wave came with costumes from all different series.

Hell, the Mii Costumes show that Ubisoft has been in Smash talks with Nintendo, so it doesn't really matter when they were added.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Since I now have an excuse to post about this hypothetical event...

Imagine watching a Nintendo Direct in 2021 when it gets to the very end and they go "But before we leave, we have one more thing to show you." and then when the screen fades to black, the very first seconds of the one more thing starts with the sound of "Rise and shine, Mister Freeman.".
View attachment 296776
I would flip my ****!!! That'd be one of the coolest reveals, easily. In a way it's comparable to One Winged Angel hitting during Sephiroth's reveal - you know immediately who the character is and you still can't believe it.

It'd be cool if they had some stuff maybe with Samus, Snake, and a few others fighting or exploring a laboratory first only to cut to that. That'd be amazing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

NOT MY BOY.

Sora would kill that Aerith dress

Then kill Sephiroth while wearing it

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
The only character I feel very confident on is Arle Nadja, so I would say Arle, Lloyd, and Crash would be the final three, but watch as we end up getting Sol Badguy, Rex, and Chosen Undead as this pass can go a lot of ways lol.

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
IDK, Ahri would fill the mage role we are lacking a bit in Smash. Yasuo would be as the cool kids say:

Anime Swordfighter
shes not really a mage as such more an ap assasin, she would just play like sheik with more projectiles

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It just hit me that there is Advent Children music in Smash. Which I believe is the first time we've had non video game music added? Perhaps someone can correct me if there are other instances of it.
Paging our LoL dude 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus - if we get a LoL champ and they include any of K/DA’s songs (even instrumentals) or Giants or Run It or even Light and Shadow - would that count as “non video game music” since it doesn’t actually play in League?

RIP Pentakill and DJ Sona tho

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Eh...I really disagree that he's likely. I truly don't think we'll get an Ubisoft character. Having their two largest franchises, Assassin's Creed and Rabbids, get brand new Post Release Mii Costumes at the same time really isn't doing them any favors. I feel like they'd come with an Ubisoft character.
Two largest franchises
Assassin's Creed and Rabbids

Rabbids are still a bit behind Rayman himself, so that sure doesn't check out.

There are a myriad of other Ubisoft franchises that could be Mii'd should Rayman happen anyway, not to mention characters from his own series.

Personally I just don't see him being upgraded from his Spirit status. Ubisoft themselves have pushed for him twice and it didn't happen - considering his series' japanese status (...or lack thereof) and the fact that he was put into Brawlhalla pretty much right before Ultimate launched (Brawlhalla's company is owned by Ubi) is also a big red flag.
Still thinking Brawlhalla has any affect on his chances years after the fact.

Took five years of negotiations for Steve to get in, Ubisoft has been at it for far longer.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sora would kill that Aerith dress

Then kill Sephiroth while wearing it
I guess you could say Sora would be... dressed to k-

(Gets shot)

shes not really a mage as such more an ap assasin, she would just play like sheik
While you're not wrong about her being a hybrid mage/assassin - a Burst Mage if you will, her specific spells and range could give her an interesting niche in that playstyle - poking for a bit then rushing in when she hit Charm or when she found an opening.

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice

NOT MY BOY.

Honestly if seraphine was added as the lol rep i'd be more annoyed then when they gave her an ultimate skin on release.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meh, that doesn't mean anything. Mii Costumes do not have to come with the company/IP they are from. Banjo's Mii Wave came with costumes from all different series.

Hell, the Mii Costumes show that Ubisoft has been in Smash talks with Nintendo, so it doesn't really matter when they were added.
I'd argue the major difference between this and Banjo is that we never got Microsoft costumes prior to Banjo.

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
I guess you could say Sora would be... dressed to k-

(Gets shot)

While you're not wrong about her being a hybrid mage/assassin - a Burst Mage if you will, her specific spells and range could give her an interesting niche in that playstyle - poking for a bit then rushing in when she hit Charm or when she found an opening.
It would probably toxic to play against tho, i stilll think lee sin would be the best rep as he could have energy as a gimmick and could be the first fighter with a move that acts like his q.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I've had a few ideas for a Gordon reveal trailer myself, one of which would have the Einstein (or, heh, Coomer as some would call him) NPC scientist be saved from a headcrab by the Inkling girl or Samus (because orange shooters) in the nick of time.
My idea for a Gordon trailer is a slow yet tense build up just like Cloud's trailer, except it would reveal the lambda logo to the beat of hazardous environments like your usual Valve game intro. After that sequence we will get the scene with the splash screen.

That's pretty much the point. A good part of the Smash fanbase would hate him for being an anime swordsman. And a good part of the League fanbase would hate him because he's Yasuo and now they have to deal with him on the online queue of yet another game. :roll:
You pretty much nailed it lol
One thing I would like to add is that if Smash is gonna be true to the games then Yasuo would be obnoxiously strong to a stupid degree. Can't have a character infamous for being bull**** without making him bull**** in the crossover ;)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At this point I think my doubts about Rayman (and Crash if I'm being honest) are rooted in Nintendo not feeling like they've made significant Smash related relationships with Western companies outside Microsoft. A few spirits, some costumes, and even Shovel Knight being an assist trophy sure, but the emphasis with Japanese developers just feels more significant as time goes on, especially when companies like Sega, Capcom, Koei Tecmo, & Namco still feel in play.

(Now watch me be wrong via the next character being Doom Slayer or the Dragonborn)

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
Paging our LoL dude 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus - if we get a LoL champ and they include any of K/DA’s songs (even instrumentals) or Giants or Run It or even Light and Shadow - would that count as “non video game music” since it doesn’t actually play in League?

Technically some songs like take over and more play had some instrumentals that played at the start of the match.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Technically yes, I suppose... but the hard part would be getting the rights, since they involve several non-videogame bands and artists.

Took five years of negotiations for Steve to get in, Ubisoft has been at it for far longer.
The situations aren't comparable, though. Steve was already decided on by Nintendo when the negotiations took place. With Rayman, Ubi literally gave them a 3D model for Smash 4, but Nintendo still didn't come forward to make Rayman playable. And a similar thing seems to have happened in Ultimate. His situation is more comparable to Doomguy (whose devs approached Nintendo rather than being approached themselves) than Steve.

If he was denied twice after basically being offered on a silver platter by his parent company... I dunno, man, methinks this isn't about negotiations taking too long. And this is coming from someone who wants Rayman in.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd argue the major difference between this and Banjo is that we never got Microsoft costumes prior to Banjo.
Microsoft got a whole ass character before Steve, and Square before Sephiroth, but we're to believe some Mii costumes are the death of future Ubisoft content?

The situations aren't comparable, though. Steve was already decided on by Nintendo when the negotiations took place. With Rayman, Ubi literally gave them a 3D model for Smash 4, but Nintendo still didn't come forward to make Rayman playable. And a similar thing seems to have happened in Ultimate.
I compare Ubisoft and Microsoft because they both end in soft have had strong relations with Nintendo in recent years. I believe Rayman's biggest barrier was Sakurai's inexperience working with western devs, but after Banjo and Steve, that worry is long gone.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
And then Sephiroth's presentation came out a day before Final Fantasy's anniversary.

Anniversaries don't often mean anything, but they're always good to at least keep in the back of our mind.

Right now, we're just talking about the Chun Leak, or the Chun Li/Tales of Leak that was posted on 5ch like 10 or so days after the game came out. There's nothing to prove or disprove it, so we're just waiting until March.
Could you please show me the link for this Chun Leak? I've seen it been discussed a lot, but couldn't find the source yet.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Daily reminder that at this point, is pretty much impossible to predict who the heck are gonna be the next 3 characters because Nintendo and Sakurai are pretty chaotic and full of weird surprises.
Yeah, I guess you're right, though I remember one person (or two? I forget) stating that the 11th fighter would most likely be someone that would be a VERY BIG surprise, something to make every other DLC char's reveal look tame by comparison.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You pretty much nailed it lol
One thing I would like to add is that if Smash is gonna be true to the games then Yasuo would be obnoxiously strong to a stupid degree. Can't have a character infamous for being bull** without making him bull** in the crossover ;)
He would need an overloaded kit. Make him a bit like Joker (as in, a character with a lot of different tools and a high skill ceiling) plus the obnoxious anti-projectile wall, knockup and dash. Maybe a level-up mehanic that makes him snowball really hard through the match and we're good to go.

Technically some songs like take over and more play had some instrumentals that played at the start of the match.
I'd say instrumentals would be the way to go, tbh.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Could you please show me the link for this Chun Leak? I've seen it been discussed a lot, but couldn't find the source yet.

This post sums it up and contains a link to Ayumi Tachibana's original translation of the post.

cothero

Smash Lord
Since I now have an excuse to post about this hypothetical event...

Imagine watching a Nintendo Direct in 2021 when it gets to the very end and they go "But before we leave, we have one more thing to show you." and then when the screen fades to black, the very first seconds of the one more thing starts with the sound of "Rise and shine, Mister Freeman.".
View attachment 296776
****ing beautiful.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I personally would want Buzzwole (UB Rep), Ahri, and Hades (KI)
Not to be rude mi amigo, but frankly I don't want anything tied to the game with the most toxic community to be tied to the game with the second most toxic community, aiming for first.

Smash is at least still fun casually with many modes to play and things to do.

Riot keeps cutting all their good **** while, making what they can't cut rotate instead of just leaving it their because Esports, China and money, and at least I don't need a group of 5-10 friends all trying stupid builds and generally not trying just to enjoy myself with Smash.

I've said this many times, but as far as characters I want there really is only Geno. They could put in only indie characters and pull characters straight from Overwatch and Fortnite and I wouldn't care so long as Geno is in the roster.

As for characters I'd like but would still be upset if they got in but Overwatch/Fortnite stuff did too, it's really hard for me to say. I guess Spyro, Goemon and Waluigi in terms of characters I actually personally care about.

As for who I expect, Dante is a topic who seems very plausible, Crash is basically a shoe in and Ryu Hayabusa keeps reappearing as fast as he Ninja Vanishes.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
But, if Rayman wasn't going to be added to the game as a DLC character, don't you think he would have gotten a Mii Costume with that wave, too? I mean, it feels weird to bring in AC and Rabbids as Mii Costumes but not put Rayman in as a Mii Costume as well. Especially since they already have the rights to use him as a spirit.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of Rayman. Know that ice that appears to look like Rayman inside? Assuming Rayman is among the final three think that might have something to do with his reveal trailer like him breaking out as characters in his supposed trailer duals it out on the Battlefield?
Any thoughts on who the last 3 DLC fighters could be?
Not too certain to be honest at this point. At the very least I suspect a Capcom rep. Sephiroth really threw things into a loop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom