• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
The alternative of course is we get nothing this week, and then one of a few events play out:

A) We get a Sakurai Presents the first week of March, with a release "After the presentation"

B) We get a Sakurai Presents the first week of March, with a release the following week

C) We get a Sakurai presents the 2nd week of March and pull from option A or B as to when it releases.

I'm extremely hesitant to go past the 2nd week of March, since both the VS Twitter and Direct implied it wouldn't be that long of a wait for info about how they play, and the 4th week of March is more or less off limits, due to Rise dropping that week.

So, in the event that there is no Sakurai Presents this week, we more or less have an idea what to expect, we just don't 100% know the when to expect.

Regardless, the point still stands that, the earlier in March it is, the opportunity to drop CP10 pre-June still exists, if only due to the relative speed of our reveals lately, while the later it drops, the more it dwindles.
I really hope you’re right, but we should probably keep in mind that Pyra and Mythra don’t have alts up on the website. I wonder if that means they are not ready to be shown, or if there’s something completely different going on.

D

Deleted member

Which one is this supposed to be? Symphonia? Beseria? Vesperia? [word]ia?
It’s supposed to be Demon Fang, Yuri using Shining Fang, and Pow Hammer. I would’ve edited it a bit but my computer is dead cuz the charger broke sooo :urg:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
My only question is, will this window for release > reveal stay consistent, or will there be a large gap?

If it were up to me and me alone, I'd end the Fighter's Pass in the June Direct, be it as a "This is it!" or alongside a "PSYCHE! S3 LEGGO", but that's just what I'd do personally.

With how fast character drops have happened as of late, it wouldn't surprise me for there to be a large gap between P/M dropping and CP10 dropping in June, but it'd definitely go against the last 2 characters.

I really hope you’re right, but we should probably keep in mind that Pyra and Mythra don’t have alts up on the website. I wonder if that means they are not ready to be shown, or if there’s something completely different going on.
I'm fairly certain the alt thing is probably because there's going to be special ones.

The character will probably be out in, give or take, 2 weeks time, or at least, their presentation will. Any work on them is done at this point and it's just waiting to launch.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly certain the alt thing is probably because there's going to be special ones.

The character will probably be out in, give or take, 2 weeks time, or at least, their presentation will. Any work on them is done at this point and it's just waiting to launch.
You’re probably right, that’s just the pessimistic side of me talking lol.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You're drinking the tears of people that don't exist. These additions have been very well recieved.
Dunno about that. The Dislike % on Pyra's reveal trailer is like 20%. That's the second highest after Byleth. And for most characters, it's 5% or less.

They exist. And it's not an insignificant amount.

Though, it does feel like he's become more of a Smash character than a Mario character now, at least in terms of speculation.
Well, he has had more Smash appearances than Mario appearances now.

Thinking about it, do we even have any Demons on the roster?
Time for Morrigan!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I could potentially see a week 3 of March sorta thing. Nintendo saying “soon” fits a month wait time imo.
But at the same time, we're also getting a lot of Pic of the Days of them.

We've gotten Pic of the Days featuring revealed characters before, but they also released relatively soon after.

No doubt, there's a first for everything yes, but I really, really doubt a mid-March reveal. Mid-March release? Absolutely. Reveal? Ehhhh.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I feel like if nintendo wasn't involved in dlc, rex would be the xc2 rep as dlc. Nintendo prob said something about the mii. it's kinda funny they are giving the final smash and taunt so much attention lol
I'm really hoping that they threw him in a victory screen or two as well.
There is actually a little detail in the trailer that makes me think they might have tried out a driver-blade mechanic before it being dropped. When Pyra uses Blazing End you can see she's still able to move around freely, despite the fact she doesn't have her weapon anymore and presumably can't attack in that state. Maybe we'll find out in the presentation.

Still though, Rex being the hypeman for his girls suits him just fine
1613961951738.jpg

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of Morrighan

Who was the one who argued with me that she wouldn't need to be censored to get in Smash?

If Mai flat out couldn't be in Smash, and Mythra had to hide away her badonks via a redesign, Morrighan would 100% need a more family friendly redesign to get in.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
But at the same time, we're also getting a lot of Pic of the Days of them.

We've gotten Pic of the Days featuring revealed characters before, but they also released relatively soon after.

No doubt, there's a first for everything yes, but I really, really doubt a mid-March reveal. Mid-March release? Absolutely. Reveal? Ehhhh.
Yeah, thats entirely fair. But Sakurai is Sakurai. It’s definitely possible hes just being different because he feels like it. I could see a Mid March Reveal that is then dropped same day.
Though I do admit it is unlikely, I don’t think it should be ruled out.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Speaking of Morrighan

Who was the one who argued with me that she wouldn't need to be censored to get in Smash?

If Mai flat out couldn't be in Smash, and Mythra had to hide away her badonks via a redesign, Morrighan would 100% need a more family friendly redesign to get in.
Yeah, she’d probably get a full leotard that covers at least her cleavage. Though Sakurai opting for Morrigan seems pretty unlikely to me anyway given the current state of her franchise.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Gonna post something that's been on my mind in the days since Pyra/Mythra's reveal, and that is my general first impressions of every newcomer that was added in Smash 4 and Ultimate.
Villager: Meh.
Mega Man: **** yeah!!
WFTrainer: Barf!
Rosalina: Meh.
Little Mac: Yeah!
Greninja: Yeah!
Mii Fighters: Meh.
Palutena: Meh.
Pac-Man: Meh.
Robin: Meh.
Shulk: Meh.
Bowser Jr.: Meh.
Duck Hunt: Barf!
Ryu: Yeah!
Cloud: Yeah!
Corrin: Barf!
Bayonetta: Meh.
Inklings: Yeah!
Ridley: Meh.
Simon: **** yeah!!
KRool: Meh.
Isabelle: Meh.
Incineroar: Meh.
Plant: Barf!
Joker: Meh.
Hero: Yeah!
Banjo: Meh.
Terry: Yeah!
Byleth: Barf!
Min Min: Yeah!
Steve: Meh.
Sephiroth: Yeah!
Pyra: Meh.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Villager: Yeah!
Mega Man: Yeah!
WFTrainer: Yeah!
Rosalina: Yeah!
Little Mac: Yeah!
Greninja: Meh.
Mii Fighters: Yeah!
Palutena: Meh.
Pac-Man: Yeah!
Robin: Meh.
Shulk: Meh.
Bowser Jr.: Meh.
Duck Hunt: Yeah!
Ryu: Yeah!
Cloud: Meh.
Corrin: Meh.
Bayonetta: Meh.
Inklings: Yeah!
Ridley: Yeah!
Simon: Yeah!
Kool: **** yeah!!!!
Isabelle: Yeah!
Incineroar: Meh.
Plant: Meh.
Joker: Meh.
Hero: Meh.
Banjo: **** yeah!!!!
Terry: Meh.
Byleth: Meh.
Min Min: Meh.
Steve: Yeah!
Sephiroth: Yeah!
Pyra: Meh.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The possibility of us not getting a Terry-esque character is beginning to sink in for me. It's funny, because Rex (XC2 in general, really), was part of my predictions before then, and I was holding out for more niche picks back then too. Admittedly, those predictions were rather biased; I had that feeling we'd get a big pick for E3, but never actually thought of one.

Based on past precedent, we're likely to get a big showstopper at E3 and a "boring" pick from a recent Switch release, which leaves no room for a Terry-level character. Furthermore, Terry is the only character of his level; The other more niche characters (:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:) had something going for them that got them through, be it Nintendo promotion, recent success, or insane popularity. There's a very real possibility that Terry is just a one-off occurrence, and that... Really sucks, because my most wanteds, Adol and Reimu, fit squarely into the category of Terry-tier picks.

So this is what reality feels like
Yeah, it’s pretty crazy that we haven’t see anyone else like him. I figured his inclusion (alongside :ultjoker: :ulthero3:) was a sign that Smash was going to focus on being a showcase of Japan’s various developers.... & then we haven’t had a new company in Smash since him lmao. I was thinking Sol Badguy & Quote had a good shot back then, but now I really doubt their inclusion.

I feel it’s still possible that we could get someone like him. For example, your choices of Reimu or Adol could supplement an “E3 bomb” that’s focused on western fans. But who knows what will happen at this point.

As for a possible May reveal, with E3 being in such a state of disarray it’s possible that Nintendo could move their “E3 direct” into May. It just depends on if they’d have everything ready by then or not. I could see Sony & maybe even Microsoft having showcases in May too.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Remember when they said an Arms character would be revealed and released on June? The Sakurai Presents video was on the 22nd, and Min Min actually released on the 29th.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Dunno about that. The Dislike % on Pyra's reveal trailer is like 20%. That's the second highest after Byleth. And for most characters, it's 5% or less.

They exist. And it's not an insignificant amount.
I can't say I'm surprised for a few reasons..
  • A lot of the other DLC characters are from famous series most people know.
  • The general bias against anime-esque characters in the West
  • The general bias against sword characters
  • Misconceptions and Assumptions about what Xenoblade 2 is as a game (literally judging by the cover, more-or-less)
  • Assumptions or Hate for her design with zero knowledge for her as a character.
  • Almost every single person I've seen voicing hate or disappointment over Pyra have stated they didn't play the game, which kinda speaks volumes for hating on her as a character..of course all they see is an anime 'waifu' if they didn't play the game..whereas most that I've seen that played the game were ecstatic over her inclusion, myself included, meaning that, for many, its 'I don't know this character/have no attachment to them and thus they are a disappointing pick over (insert character they do know and have an attachment to here)'.
  • "Should've been a better character" (IE: someone they think is more 'popular' or someone 'obscure' or 'nostalgic' for that person..)
Honestly, I'm really glad Nintendo doesn't seem to care what 'fans' think because I'd otherwise never get any characters I wanted in the game..though I gotta say its pretty draining that, aside from Joker, the characters I most wanted are also the ones getting hated on incessantly and unfairly..I mean, come on, its not like I went and threw a temper tantrum when they revealed Bowser Jr. & Steve from Minecraft, two characters I utterly despise..I just accepted that they were both someone's favorites and left it at that..no reason to make someone upset by hating on their characters and calling them 'bad' or 'terrible picks' as if it wasn't entirely subjective.

Gonna post something that's been on my mind in the days since Pyra/Mythra's reveal, and that is my general first impressions of every newcomer that was added in Smash 4 and Ultimate. I've been on this website since right before Smash 4's reveal (I lurked for several months before making an account), so I'd thought it would be cool to give what my thoughts were on these characters back in the day. This post is limited to the Smash 4 newcomers, and I'll probably talk about my impressions of the Ultimate newcomers once the second Fighters Pass is finished.
Villager: Makes sense, though not exciting for me.
Mega Man: FINALLY!
Wii Fit Trainer: I thought I'd hate this more..
Rosalina: Fav Mario character, so Yay~
Little Mac: Makes sense, though not exciting for me.
Greninja: Makes sense, though not exciting for me.
Mii Fighters: Makes sense, though not exciting for me.
Palutena: She is fun in Uprising.
Pac-Man: Makes sense, though not exciting for me.
Lucina: Yes! I thought she'd just be a Marth skin! (I would have been fine with either, but this was preferred)
Robin: Like them more than I thought.
Shulk: Didn't know who it was, but a good pick (love the series now)
Bowser Jr: Most hated Mario character, Baby Bowser rip-off, thank god for the Koopaling alts..someone's favorite though..
Duck Hunt: Weird choice, but makes sense for Sakurai.
Dark Pit: I do like Dark Pit more than Pit.
Ryu: Cool, I love Street Fighter, though I main Chun-Li & Cammy, so I'm not overly excited.
Cloud: Awesome, I love Final Fantasy and VII is my 3rd fav. Cloud is cool (though Terra is cooler).
Corrin: Liked it more than I thought I would.
Bayonetta: Awesome~ I love Bayonetta.
Inklings: Cool, deserved and expected..hope they have Octoling alts (sad they didn't)
Daisy: Awesome, not as cool as a unique moveset, but glad to see her~
Ridley: Very happy for the diehard Ridley fans that have wanted him for years!
Simon: Deserved, Castlevania is important.
Richter: Better than Simon.
Chrom: Didn't really need a 3rd FE Awakening character..especially with Three Houses on the way..but someone is very happy.
Dark Samus: Don't know her well, but cool~
King K. Rool: Very happy for the diehard K. Rool fans that have wanted him for years!
Isabelle: Very nice, Isabelle is my fav in AC.
Ken: Better than Ryu, awesome. EVO Moment 37 is his Final Smash?! Holy Crap!!
Incineroar: Not really big on any Pokémon that isn't amongst my favs..
Piranha Plant: What?!...I guess at least some people think this is great and hilarious.
Joker: (Big Swear Word) Yes!! (I literally said this at work while waiting for the midnight release..)
Hero: No Female Alts?! Gosh Dang It! (Censored form of what I said..) Series deserves its place though.
Banjo: I thought I'd be more excited..
Terry: Cool, SNK deserves it.
Byleth: YES! Another of my big Wishlist wants! I don't care how may FE characters we have!
Min Min: 2nd fav in ARMS! Yay!
Steve: Ugly..but I'll begrudgingly admit Minecraft deserves it..love the stage & reveal song..
Sephiroth: Unexpected and awesome. I'd prefer a different Square-Enix rep, but yay for more FFVII content!
Pyra: YES YES YES! I wanted Pyra without Rex but I didn't think it was possible!
Mythra: Expected with Pyra, cool moveset..but I prefer Pyra.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Didn’t realize people didn’t like WFT and duck hunt. They were absolutely my favorite Smash 4 inclusions. In fact I’d say these are the best characters to date that Sakurai have designed in terms of making a “how could that possibly work in Smash?” character apart from possibly Steve. I thought I’d enjoy plant as well for being a similar concept, but its moveset really doesn’t feel nearly as well conceptualized as the smash 4 joke characters.

The fact these characters are in the game at all are what gives me small hope for weirdo picks I want like Haruka from Idolmaster.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speaking of Morrigan

If Mai flat out couldn't be in Smash, and Mythra had to hide away her badonks via a redesign, Morrigan would 100% need a more family friendly redesign to get in.
On this topic again:
On the topic of Morrigan, they can clearly cover-up Morrigan if they need to. Because Capcom has before:

Bamco: Can we get Tales of in Smash?
Nintendo: We have Tales of in Smash at home.
Tales of in Smash at home:
View attachment 304508
I got the Demon Fang and Piko Hammer references. Didn't get Joker's until you mentioned Shining Fang which.....is still hard to get, even if it was Shining Fang Drop.

Shroob

Sup?
On this topic again:

I got the Demon Fang and Piko Hammer references. Didn't get Joker's until you mentioned Shining Fang which.....is still hard to get, even if it was Shining Fang Drop.
I mean, the thing is, for as much as people like to quote Sakurai about how upskirts are clearly an issue, cleavage seems to be equally as much, considering we have multiple instances of cleavage censorship now, if not outright redesigns to hide it, Mythra being the biggest one, and Camilla's spirit come to mind.

Morrighan would 100% need a redesign to her boob area to fit in.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
On the topic of Morrigan, they can clearly cover-up Morrigan if they need to. Because Capcom has before:
And they probably don't need to, because, again, the part of characters like Mai, Pyra, Mythra that "needed" to be covered up(i.e. the upskirt stuff), are already covered up on Morrigan.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Didn’t realize people didn’t like WFT and duck hunt. They were absolutely my favorite Smash 4 inclusions. In fact I’d say these are the best characters to date that Sakurai have designed in terms of making a “how could that possibly work in Smash?” character apart from possibly Steve. I thought I’d enjoy plant as well for being a similar concept, but its moveset really doesn’t feel nearly as well conceptualized as the smash 4 joke characters.

The fact these characters are in the game at all are what gives me small hope for weirdo picks I want like Haruka from Idolmaster.
WFT is pretty much the orginal "wasted slot" character. Seemed like the more reveals we got for Smash 4 who weren't the characters people wanted, the more people would go back to WFT and trash her.

DH was saved as the final unique character. They weren't Mewtwo, Ridley, or K. Rool, so people were pretty salty that the old-timey dog and duck got in before the other more popular options.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
And they probably don't need to, because, again, the part of characters like Mai, Pyra, Mythra that "needed" to be covered up(i.e. the upskirt stuff), are already covered up on Morrigan.
They covered up Mythra's boob window and back, so they'd probably have to the same for Morrigan's back and cleavage.

Pillow

Smash Lord
WFT is pretty much the orginal "wasted slot" character. Seemed like the more reveals we got for Smash 4 who weren't the characters people wanted, the more people would go back to WFT and trash her.

DH was saved as the final unique character. They weren't Mewtwo, Ridley, or K. Rool, so people were pretty salty that the old-timey dog and duck got in before the other more popular options.
I just never understood why though. Wii Fit was like the best selling game on the Wii. It’s like saying Inklings or Shulk didn’t were wasted slots for being newer Nintendo IP characters.

Shroob

Sup?
I just never understood why though. Wii Fit was like the best selling game on the Wii. It’s like saying Inklings or Shulk didn’t were wasted slots for being newer Nintendo IP characters.
I think the simple answer is that Wii Fit doesn't really fall into the sphere of "Video games" that most people our age would really talk about. Wii Fit is like, something your parents would buy with the Wii they bought because everyone's buying one.

Even though I find Wii Fit's inclusion as incredibly humorous, I can see why others wouldn't like it, since it's less a game and more an exercise app.

Now Ring Fit, is how you blend Exercise and Game together well, imo.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Since we all seem to be doing this, thought I’d do mine too

Villager: Oh cool!
Mega Man: Oh cool!
Wii Fit Trainer: Omg what? That’s amazing
Rosalina: Wow! Didn’t see that coming! Very happy
Little Mac: Hehe called it
Greninja: Omg that’s so cool!
Mii Fighter: Wow nice
Palutena: Wow nice
Pac-Man: Wow nice
Lucina: Woaaaaaaaaah Lucina?!
Robin: Yay magic user!
Shulk: Yay!
Dark Pit: What? That’s nice
Bowser Jr.: Very nice
Duck Hunt: Oh cool!
Ryu: Oooooooh
Cloud: OOOOOOOH
Corrin: Wow they look neat
Bayonetta: Woah didn’t see that coming
Inkling: Yay
Daisy: AAAAAAAAH
Ridley: Woah finally
Simon: Ooh
Richter: WHAT THE HECK THAT’S WHAT HUH?
Chrom: Wow congrats Chrom
Dark Samus: Omg her animations
King K. Rool: Nice!
Isabelle: Yay she’s in!
Ken: Omg that’s great!
Incineroar: Neat! Looks great
Piranha Plant: That’s hilarious I’m glad
Joker: jakfkowncowkcodkksojcic YES
Hero: YAAAAAAY sees Eight OMG DQ8
Banjo: Woah!
Terry: Oh that’s so cool!
Byleth: Nice!
Min Min: AAAAAAAAAAH
Steve: AAAAAAH
Sephiroth: AAAAAAAAH
Pyra: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Mythra: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I like Smash reveals

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Since we all seem to be doing this, thought I’d do mine too

Villager: Oh cool!
Mega Man: Oh cool!
Wii Fit Trainer: Omg what? That’s amazing
Rosalina: Wow! Didn’t see that coming! Very happy
Little Mac: Hehe called it
Greninja: Omg that’s so cool!
Mii Fighter: Wow nice
Palutena: Wow nice
Pac-Man: Wow nice
Lucina: Woaaaaaaaaah Lucina?!
Robin: Yay magic user!
Shulk: Yay!
Dark Pit: What? That’s nice
Bowser Jr.: Very nice
Duck Hunt: Oh cool!
Ryu: Oooooooh
Cloud: OOOOOOOH
Corrin: Wow they look neat
Bayonetta: Woah didn’t see that coming
Inkling: Yay
Daisy: AAAAAAAAH
Ridley: Woah finally
Simon: Ooh
Richter: WHAT THE HECK THAT’S WHAT HUH?
Chrom: Wow congrats Chrom
Dark Samus: Omg her animations
King K. Rool: Nice!
Isabelle: Yay she’s in!
Ken: Omg that’s great!
Incineroar: Neat! Looks great
Piranha Plant: That’s hilarious I’m glad
Joker: jakfkowncowkcodkksojcic YES
Hero: YAAAAAAY sees Eight OMG DQ8
Banjo: Woah!
Terry: Oh that’s so cool!
Byleth: Nice!
Min Min: AAAAAAAAAAH
Steve: AAAAAAH
Sephiroth: AAAAAAAAH
Pyra: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Mythra: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I like Smash reveals
This is actually kinda wholesome, we need someone with an opinion like this everyday.

Shroob

Sup?
This is actually kinda wholesome, we need someone with an opinion like this everyday.
I kinda fall in line with this mentality lol.

I can definitely get more excited for some characters more than others, but there's no character that I actively dislike. I kinda cherish this roster, since it's more or less the dream roster I imagined back when I first got my feet wet speculating with Brawl.

Shroob

Sup?
You spelled Ice Climbers wrong.

Don't Bayonetta's outfits still have open backs?
They do, but she(Mythra) still got her cleavage window covered up, which is way less exposed than Morri's.

That, and she's not the only one. The Camilla Spirit got a redesign to cover hers up as well.

I feel like people latch onto the "Upskirts" comment, when boobs have been an issue too, it's just never been said since they censor them.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Is there such thing as first party reps being DLC that would be hype?
(Probably not cause they're disappointing.)

Edit: not some of them.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That may be the trailer's dislike percentage, but they don't seem to be getting as many complaints. Probably because no one thought Xenoblade had too many reps as is, and they weren't chosen before their game came out.
Is there such thing as first party reps being DLC that would be hype?
(Probably not cause they're disappointing.)
Dude, you literally have FAN art that was drawn as a result of Pyra's inclusion as your avatar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom