• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'd be more concerned for 3rd Party characters than Nintendo ones in regards to that.

But... that does lead me to say what others have said: If it IS some copyright issue... why just that video SPECIFICALLY and not Smash itself? Like... they'd have to remove the offending content from the game via update patch or whatever if that's how it was.

I'm thinking something else is going on here.
I see. Still, why is Nintendo or Youtube doing this all with that Direct?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well....this day has been rather eventful in speculation. First a Metroid Dread short trailer with a focus on the Chozo, and SA-X in HD, now a specific Direct has not only been disappearing from Youtube, but is disappearing from the official site.

Speculation revved up quite a bit today.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well....this day has been rather eventful in speculation. First a Metroid Dread short trailer with a focus on the Chozo, and SA-X in HD, now a specific Direct has not only been disappearing from Youtube, but is disappearing from the official site.

Maybe an anniversary version of the video is coming up?

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Seems like a huge stretch that this would be taken down because of some content overlap. Like, why would you try to hide Simon being in the game just because Alucard is as well? Same deal with the date. The only thing that explains this neatly IMO is some sort of copyright takedown or some similar problem w/ the video itself. No idea what that might be though.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Whatever the deal with the August 2018 Direct is, I hope they don't plan on taking K. Rool out of Smash and the trailer before the trailer may be back up, or take K. Rool out off out of future games, for that matter.
The day is 07/08/21 in the morning.
The average Smashboards.com user wakes up to a Youtube video posted by Nintendo themselves titled "A Development Update on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate regarding Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth."

(This is a joke btw, it's not going to happen)

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

It's been a WEEK, dude! All of this PLUS Mario Golf Super Rush content updates AND New Pokemon Snap free content updates! With all the craziness, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo didn't whip a Smash Bros presentation out of their behind at the end of the week at an odd time.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The average Smashboards.com user wakes up to a Youtube video posted by Nintendo themselves titled "A Development Update on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate regarding Cloud, Hero and Sephiroth."

Now that sounds scary, if you ask me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

So you’re saying we end up time traveling? :secretkpop:

also NoA just tweeted about… Miitopia. Games been out for what, a month now?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It probably wouldn’t be WoL if that’s the case cuz they’d have taken down the 11.1.18 direct instead

right…?
Yep.

Hmm so are there any portions of the direct that's gone from public view now that involves any company that's currently in development with Nintendo or at odds with them?
The echo reveals, new modes and asist trophies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I wanna see if they take down the final smash direct as well and the E3 smash direct In the upcoming weeks or days. If they do then my theory would be that the last character is an AT upgrade and they want to bring down the 3 smash directs to avoid people going back to them and commenting on how an AT got upgraded.

heavily relies on if they take down the other 2 smash directs. Other than that I’m as baffled as Everyone else

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The echo reveals, new modes and asist trophies.
Interesting. To me the only reason to selectively remove this video from public view without explanation is due some litigation of some kind and by analyzing those three categories could narrow it down to the likely Intellectual Property involved...

SKX31

Smash Master
Seems like a huge stretch that this would be taken down because of some content overlap. Like, why would you try to hide Simon being in the game just because Alucard is as well? Same deal with the date. The only thing that explains this neatly IMO is some sort of copyright takedown or some similar problem w/ the video itself. No idea what that might be though.
Interesting. To me the only reason to selectively remove this video from public view without explanation is due some litigation of some kind and by analyzing those three categories could narrow it down to the likely Intellectual Property involved...
Even then I'm a bit skeptical of the copyright SNAFU idea since a contract for a game lasting merely 3 years sounds a bit weird if you ask me. Even as Nintendo may not have planned to update the game continously for those three years, they have precedent with Smash 4 - which was updated over the course of 2 years.

Now that sounds scary, if you ask me.
Quietly sobs in the corner over losing my main, who I got 10 million GSP with yesterday. :4pacman:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
considering the darn green boy hasn’t showed up in any trailer since Simon Belmonts, i think it’s safe to say that Luigi is canonically dead and no one went to resurrect him.
The trailer starts with Luigi lying there dead, his ghost unable to return... but then the sky turns darker than it already was, and Luigi's ghost returns to his body! Luigi gets up and adjusts to being alive again. He looks out the window to see... seven rays of light shooting in separate directions... and he also sees a new Super Smash Bros fighter floating in the air...

AND THEN THIS SONG KICKS IN HAHAHA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyWMUaRsUc

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Here is a theory

This part 22:30 has an actress in it, maybe a contract ended with the actress and they didn't choose to renew it or something.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The trailer starts with Luigi lying there dead, his ghost unable to return... but then the sky turns darker than it already was, and Luigi's ghost returns to his body! Luigi gets up and adjusts to being alive again. He looks out the window to see... seven rays of light shooting in separate directions... and he also sees a new Super Smash Bros fighter floating in the air...

AND THEN THIS SONG KICKS IN HAHAHA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyWMUaRsUc
Maybe Luigi woke up in heaven instead of coming back to life if that is the case. LOL

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Even then I'm a bit skeptical of the copyright SNAFU idea since a contract for a game lasting merely 3 years sounds a bit weird if you ask me. Even as Nintendo may not have planned to update the game continously for those three years, they have precedent with Smash 4 - which was updated over the course of 2 years.
Quietly sobs in the corner over losing my main, who I got 10 million GSP with yesterday. :4pacman:
Well, my main suspect would be asist trophy section.

As for a legal issue. Well, maybe if a legal issue within the company owning the rights of the character happened and some litigation ocurred.... it could maybe had an effect. (not completely sure but maybe?)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Here is a theory

This part 22:30 has an actress in it, maybe a contract ended with the actress and they didn't choose to renew it or something.
doubt it’s that. I doubt an actress that’s in this for about 3 seconds has that much power over Nintendo and sakurai. She doesn’t even say anything as well.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
This looks like a job for

37205.jpeg

But I swear, if I see any paw prints on either of those godforsaken chairs, Blue, we're taking a trip to the farm...

So yeah, when this Direct was removed from YouTube, I thought it was just a typical YT hiccup. But scrubbing any mention of it from the site? Yeah, we're going to need a big notebook to jot down all of these new conspiracy theories.

I can't imagine it has anything to do with the Olympics or the whole "rated-M" thing (especially since the three biggest games they're referencing in the Belmont reveal are either unrated or rated T). Also, Luigi "dying" was done in such a comical way that I doubt Nintendo would take it out now. Especially after the silhouetted image of Sephiroth stabbing Mario went viral...or Kazuya throwing a lifeless Min Min into a volcano...

I've rewatched this Direct so many times that it's burned into my brain, but nothing else it in seems worth completely erasing it and reuploading it with just minor changes made.

Unless Nintendo suddenly got mad at Sakurai for saying there won't be too many new fighters before dropping five on us in the very next Direct? And then making Ultimate the game with the most amount of new Fighters out of the entire series? Maybe some petty lawyers are finally cracking down on such blatant false advertising?:4pacman:

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
True ... I dunno it could be something dumb like bad paperwork or trademark renewal or something but I'm more leaning toward it being the result of some backdoor agreement ... Lol ah it's prolly nothing (except it's already not nothing apparently.)

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
A copyright issue feels like it would be so much lower-key. Like, maybe the video briefly goes down in one region, maybe a couple, until it gets sorted out. These guys out here with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, though, which is why I'm doubtful.
I also feel like a LOT more "insiders", journalists and other such people would be talking about it. Just a feeling.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Personally I wasn't very interested with the whole "the 8.8 Direct disappeared" because well, it's probably just Nintendo deleting it for some reason we don't know, or maybe some copyright issues

But then I read this

The disappearing Direct is very weird. I think we may be getting an August Direct so it's for SEO purposes, but I do like entertaining the idea that the next character is, say, Alucard or Zero, so they don't want to contradict anything said in that direct.
And now I'm a believer, the last character is either Zero or Alucard.

I wish...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Why do I have the feeling the removal of the video means something bad, or am I just being pessimistic?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I don't think they'd remove an entire direct out of concerns that people might post "That AT is a fighter now" when there's a simple solution that Nintendo has already done with many of their videos; disabling comments.
And even if it was, when announcing that new fighter (it will be WALUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGI I bet my Burger King on it), they'd have to have a segment like "But WAIT, isn't Waluigi an ASSIST TROPHY? Ra-ra-ra-ra-RADICAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL! CHEVY NOVA! Bossa Nova? EXCELLENT!" it'd be part of the marketing for sure.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
There really isn't a good explanation for any of this huh.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's nothing, or just some weird internal thing, but at the same time... what if it isn't?

We could absolutely get a random "new content approaching" video and a minor update like small battlefield. Especially if we really do have to wait ages for the last fighter, and this update would give us some minor content while we wait so it doesn't feel as long.

If it is a minor update, I'm going all in on an octoling echo. It makes too much sense in this scenario to not be a thing.

Also, this is absolutely not a copyright thing, since that doesn't make any sense, at least to me. The only time copyright affected a Smash presentation was the Hero one, when they couldn't use DQ music outside of the demonstration match. It wasn't even used in the mii costume stuff. And, no matter how much people hate Konami, I really don't see them being Sugiyama levels of stingy.

No matter what it is though, I doubt we're getting the final character in it. Honestly, if this does end up being something, I feel like we're going to be waiting a while.

Also, my absolute dream scenario would be them adding additional music to each series, including dlc. Not having Persona 2 music is a crime.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And even if it was, when announcing that new fighter (it will be WALUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGI I bet my Burger King on it), they'd have to have a segment like "But WAIT, isn't Waluigi an ASSIST TROPHY? Ra-ra-ra-ra-RADICAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL! CHEVY NOVA! Bossa Nova? EXCELLENT!" it'd be part of the marketing for sure.
Wasn't Waluigi already announced as an Assist in the 2018 E3 Direct?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, my main suspect would be asist trophy section.

As for a legal issue. Well, maybe if a legal issue within the company owning the rights of the character happened and some litigation ocurred.... it could maybe had an effect. (not completely sure but maybe?)
Which ATs were in the direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom