• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No AT promotions
Spirit events kill games' chances
  • No Assist Trophy promotions in the same game
  • no double dipping in the same pass (franchises, third parties)
  • no semi-clones/echoes (I believe Sakurai only said no echoes for the FIRST pass)
  • Spirit events kill companiesโ€™ chances if thatโ€™s their first piece of content (Koei, ArcSys)

idk any others
Also, "series with rotating casts must get characters from the latest game".

I'm sure an Elma stan like you would approve of that rule being broken.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I wonder if all the DLC characters from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate come as simple characters in the next Super Smash Bros. game. I write this because all the DLC characters from Super Smash Bros. 3DS/WiiU came to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as plain characters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also, "series with rotating casts must get characters from the latest game".

I'm sure an Elma stan like you would approve of that rule being broken.
Would a port count in getting it broken?

oh that reminds me, another fan rule:

- no representation of DLC of a source game (why we didnโ€™t get Ashen Wolves content with Byleth, and why we didnโ€™t get even spirits of Urshifu or Calyrex. Also, no spirits of Lola Pop, Springtron, Misango or Dr. Coyle cause they werenโ€™t in base ARMS)

Octoling (with Octo Expansion content) would break that rule wide open

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
No AT promotions
Spirit events kill games' chances
Okay, let's see what trend-breakers I could come up with:

No AT promotions: Either Waluigi, Shadow the Hedgehog, or Isaac
Spirit events kill games' chances: Either Cinderace, Jill Valentine, Paper Mario, Monster Hunter, AoC Impa, Akira Howard, or Ring Fit Trainee

• no semi-clones/echoes (I believe Sakurai only said no echoes for the FIRST pass)
  • Spirit events kill companiesโ€™ chances if thatโ€™s their first piece of content (Koei, ArcSys)

idk any others
No double-dipping in the same pass (franchises, third-parties): Either Ninjara, Sora, 2B, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Battletoad, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe, Nightmare, Solaire, Chosen Undead, or KOS-MOS
Spirit events kill companies' chances if that's their first piece of content: Either Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi, Lu Bu, Sol Badguy, or Ragna the Bloodedge

Okay, I'm starting to get tired of/bored with this challenge, so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

idk any others
I think the clone philosophy still applies tbh, Sakurai has made every DLC fighter feel very unique with their own gimmicks of sorts that differentiate them from the rest. This is more of a philosophy thing than an actual rule though, since Sakurai doesn't seem to like cardboard copies for DLC, otherwise they wouldn't sell as much I imagine.

Rn the two that seem to have a higher chance of happening atm are both the AT & Spirit event fanrules, double dipping doesn't sound too likely aside from maybe Square or Microsoft (Chief but very doubtful about his inclusion now), although Nintendo has technically already broken that rule.

The candidates I think have a higher chance of happening rn would be (among the ones that break a rule or two):
-Sonic rep, either Tails or Shadow
-Alucard because he was considered for base game (this one is a huge maybe though)
-RE rep
-If it comes down to first parties maybe Waluigi or Splatoon rep
I can't really think of anyone else that rings a bell when I say ''second chance''

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, let's see what trend-breakers I could come up with:

No AT promotions: Either Waluigi, Shadow the Hedgehog, Ashley, or Isaac
Spirit events kill games' chances: Either Cinderace, Jill Valentine, Paper Mario, Monster Hunter, AoC Impa, Akira Howard, or Ring Fit Trainee

No double-dipping in the same pass (franchises, third-parties): Either Ninjara, Dr. Coyle, Sora, 2B, Lara Croft, Neku Sakuraba, Elma, Fiora, Melia, Master Chief, Battletoad, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe, Nightmare, Solaire, Chosen Undead, or KOS-MOS
Spirit events kill companies' chances if that's their first piece of content: Either Ryu Hayabusa, Kasumi, Lu Bu, Sol Badguy, or Ragna the Bloodedge

Okay, I'm starting to get tired of/bored with this challenge, so I'm gonna leave it at that.
Believe youโ€™re forgetting some peeps

And โ€œNo DLC content from a represented gameโ€ - Ashen Wolves character, Urshifu, Calyrex, anyone not in the base ARMS roster pre-patches, and of course, Octoling

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I guess the latest DLC character will be revealed sometime in September or October or November at most.

Technomage

Smash Champion
There also seems to be the no indies fan-rule; I'll be listing characters that could break that rule:

Freddy Fazbear
Frisk or Sans (the latter of which would also break that Mii costume fanrule)
Cuphead (same thing with Sans)
Shovel Knight (would also break the "No AT Promotions" fanrule)
Shantae
Beck
Yandere-chan
Gunvolt
Miriam from Bloodstained
YIIK guy

Any others I'm forgetting?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There also seems to be the no indies fan-rule; I'll be listing characters that could break that rule:

Freddy Fazbear
Frisk or Sans (the latter of which would also break that Mii costume fanrule)
Cuphead (same thing with Sans)
Shovel Knight (would also break the "No AT Promotions" fanrule)
Shantae
Beck
Yandere-chan
Gunvolt
Miriam from Bloodstained

Any others I'm forgetting?
Thank GOD you neglected to put the YIIK guy there

โ€ฆwait no

NO I JINXED IT

DONโ€™T ADD HIM

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well looks like we got ourselves a new theory in hand.

Parallel Theory.

And probably and most likely will be broken as with many others.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well looks like we got ourselves a new theory in hand.

Parallel Theory.

And probably and most likely will be broken as with many others.
Ok so

Hero & Sephiroth: Square Enix
Banjo & Steve: Microsoft
Terry & Kazuya: Fighting games
Min Min & Byleth: missed base roster

โ€ฆthis ones a stretch but Iโ€™m guessing;

Joker & Pyra/Mythra: from extremely popular best selling JRPGs

โ€ฆ what would that make Piranha Plantโ€™s parallel then? A generic minion? A Nintendo character nobody expects?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

idk any others
He said no Echoes for the first pass. He didn't actually say a word about Clones. Pyra/Mythra doesn't debunk that(though they do show a clone combo is fine) by any means, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Echoes are characters done with less work, so they don't sound great as individual DLC. Clones aren't... exactly the same thing, though. Even then, I don't think we'll get anything different from Pyra/Mythra at best. We didn't get clone characters as newcomers even in Smash 4's DLC. I mean, we got characters who used a specific base, but that doesn't legit count. They ain't Wolf, who barely is a kind of clone.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder if all the DLC characters from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate come as simple characters in the next Super Smash Bros. game. I write this because all the DLC characters from Super Smash Bros. 3DS / WiiU came to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as plain characters.
Late, but if they repeat Everyone Is Here/otherwise donโ€™t cut Ultimateโ€™s DLC newcomers for next smash, I can see them being veterans

Faso115

Smash Lord
Parallel theory is so dumb lol. Some characters don't even have a parallel or have the flimsiest connections already makes this theory feel like a bigger stretch than Min Min's range.

Everytime a pattern shows up, the next character disproves it. The only pattern is that there is no pattern

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I am thinking either Master Chief or Decidueye for the last character and I am leaning toward the latter. If something comes of all of this insider talk on a big collaboration between Nintendo and Microsoft in the fall then I would say Master Chief in Smash will be the shiny cherry on top of whatever that is, but if this insider talk falls to the wayside as nothing more than rumor, ending on a Nintendo character from a well established franchise would make sense, especially as Decidueye would have added relevance after the Legends game.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I actually want an echo pass to happen
Dry Bowser is my most wanted clone character (although it's debatable if Galacta Knight would be an echo)
So many easy and cool additions they could bring, so far it's an underutilized concept
Dry Bowser is the freest echo ever, I'm surprised it didn't happen in the base game. Make him much lighter, take away Tough Guy, drastically increase his air speed, and change his side-B to a Belmont-style bone throwing attack. GG.
And also, of course, give him his signature blue fire and have it be aura instead of fire. (Meaning it would hurt Blue Pikmin and not detonate bombs.)

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Dry Bowser is the freest echo ever, I'm surprised it didn't happen in the base game. Make him much lighter, take away Tough Guy, drastically increase his air speed, and change his side-b to a Belmont-style bone throwing attack. GG.
not to mention they could just add blue fire a la Richter and call it a day, people have modded his texture into every single Smash game

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Here's 2 thoughts

1 )What if the bonus file that was leaked on the AU Nintendo website is an echo fighters pass?
Maybe like 3 characters or something..?

2 ) I kinda doubt this one given the game's release date:
But I've seen talk about how CP11 might be the SMT V protagonist. UNLESS the character reveal is very late in 2021, After November 11, SMT V's release date, I doubt it'll be that guy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's 2 thoughts

1 )What if the bonus file that was leaked on the AU Nintendo website is an echo fighters pass?
Maybe like 3 characters or something..?

2 ) I kinda doubt this one given the game's release date:
But I've seen talk about how CP11 might be the SMT V protagonist. UNLESS the character reveal is very late in 2021, After November 11, SMT V's release date, I doubt it'll be that guy.
Regarding #1, if that were the case wouldnโ€™t it be three empty slots instead of one?

if it IS a bonus character, I still say itโ€™ll be one maximum AND theyโ€™ll be individual DLC

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Man, I want to speculate on fighters after CP11, I really do, but I'm not having an easy time because it relies on the assumption of Mr. Sakurai bald-faced lying through his teeth. He's a tricky dude but he doesn't really do that. I know I've said this a few times now but it bears repeating. The AU website goof was most likely just that - a goof.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ok so

Hero & Sephiroth: Square Enix
Banjo & Steve: Microsoft
Terry & Kazuya: Fighting games
Min Min & Byleth: missed base roster

โ€ฆthis ones a stretch but Iโ€™m guessing;

Joker & Pyra/Mythra: from extremely popular best selling JRPGs

โ€ฆ what would that make Piranha Plantโ€™s parallel then? A generic minion? A Nintendo character nobody expects?
The thing I don't see is how Byleth missed the base roster. Like wasn't the base roster decided as early as 2015? In my opinion Joker/Byleth and Min Min/Pyra/Mythra makes more sense since Sakurai talked about both ARMS and Xenoblade as missing the base roster but I suppose that breaks the theory, showing how flimsy it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom